How did Diablo get inside the black soulstone

Lore and Story
How are there 5 in the Soulstone already? I only captured 1.
Diablo, Mephisto, Baal, Andariel, and Duriel were all killed in D2 and their spirits were somehow still present in Sanctuary. Adria spent the last 20 years searching for their spirits and marking them (or some such) so that when the black soulstone was made, their spirits would be instantly drawn into it.
I think that their souls were already in the Black Soul Stone since we killed them in Diablo 2.

Black soul stone captured them all and what we destroyed in D2 waa empty gems.
it's a storyline that began since D2
Adria followed the D2 Heroes around and "Ninja'ed" their souls when we killed them. The soul stones we destroyed were empty. I dont know how she was able to get Baal's soul as he went into the world stone before tyrael destroyed it. Noteworthy that the blast probably would have killed her too.
wait wait,, this part confuses me too?! if diablo was really in the black soulstone and not the one that the dark wanderer plunged into his head then ?! huh?!? or baal in the one in tal rasha?! i hope someone comes through and explains this better.. because this seems like a rather large plot hole.. why would baal track down marius to get his own stone back before LoD?
Andariel and Duriel, and possibly Baal make sense.

However, Diablo and Mephisto do not. We destroyed their stones.

The only way it makes sense is that destroying the Soulstones does not destroy the souls. The only purpose of the Soulstones is a prison.

And supposedly, the Soulstones are powered by the Worldstone, so why does the Black Soulstone still work?
The way I understand it from the Book of Cain, Baal's soulstone that was contained in Tal Rasha was only a fragment of the original soulstone. So I guess that fragment was destroyed along with the Worldstone and his "real" soul was trapped within the Black Soulstone after Baal was defeated. The soulsones were meant to be prisons, the only way to destroy them without releasing the souls was to take them to Hellforge. I guess the only way it would make sense is if those gems were empty and Adria somehow transferred the souls to the Black Soulstone before they were destroyed. She must have picked up Andarial's and Duriel's along the way too, since they never had soulstones. I agree though, the plot's a little shaky.
05/22/2012 05:55 PMPosted by Arctîk
wait wait,, this part confuses me too?! if diablo was really in the black soulstone and not the one that the dark wanderer plunged into his head then ?! huh?!? or baal in the one in tal rasha?! i hope someone comes through and explains this better.. because this seems like a rather large plot hole.. why would baal track down marius to get his own stone back before LoD?

All of that still happened if you think about it, she probably didn't get Diablo's soul until right after we killed him in D2, or perhaps Leah has a little bit of her old man innately inside of her (sounds dirty...) Baal in Tal Rasha would be about the same story I guess, Diablo lets Baal out of Tal Rasha, he goes to Arreat, we kill him... and I THOUGHT his soul went into the Worldstone, but I guess not?! haha
"How did character x y the macguffan?"

As is the case in any fantasy franchise where the need for a boss fight eclipses creativity and narrative logic, my friend:

http://youtu.be/x0yQg8kHVcI
In the case of Diablo, he may not have actually been in Black Soulstone, but in Leah to begin with. In the cinematic between Acts 2 and 3 when Leah has her "vision", you see 7 pillars with thrones on them, 6 black arranged on either side of a larger red one. It can be assumed that these are for each of the Evils, the center one being for Diablo. Some of them (presumably 4 of them though it only closes in enough to confirm 3 for sure) are occupied.

The large red throne, Diablo's, is one that is not.

When Asmodan shows up and begins to speak to "Leah", he refers to the plan to trap "our brethren" (not "MY") in the Black Soulstone, and clearly knows the intent of doing so and even refers to becoming the Prime Evil when he claims it. Clearly he is speaking to Diablo and not Leah. This is also supported by the fact that according to Adria, this whole plan was layed out long ago. She knew Diablo was within Aidan and conceived Leah with the intent for the plan to play out in this nature. If Diablo had succeeded in D2, then whatever (unless the original intent even then was to draw his brothers back out only to have them killed and hid his true essence within the child to be so that he had no reason to worry about losing yet another host). Worst case, it was a fail safe either way.
06/01/2012 03:34 PMPosted by Vâlenor
When Asmodan shows up and begins to speak to "Leah", he refers to the plan to trap "our brethren" (not "MY") in the Black Soulstone, and clearly knows the intent of doing so and even refers to becoming the Prime Evil when he claims it. Clearly he is speaking to Diablo and not Leah.

Very observant.
Adria alreay trapping the 5 other evils inside the black soulstone somehow is called. . .

LAZY WRITING

p.s. the diablo 3 story is bad
My thinking is that perhaps she marked Diablo while she was still in Tristram, then pursued Baal and marked him when he wasn't looking, and then went to Mephisto and marked him as well.

They die, they do go to their respective soulstones, but when we broke them instead of heading for the Abyss they went to the Black Soulstone.

Then in Diablo 3 I am sure that Adria was banking on Cain and Leah eventually deciphering that Hakan was Belial or that Belial was in Caldeum in some other, perhaps banking on Magdah doing something to provoke them, hoping for her once sister in the coven to fail.
Jup, Don't make any sense at all. I might have missunderstood the whole story, but wasnt the black soulstone unfinished before we ressurected Zoltan, and he finished it?
06/01/2012 03:34 PMPosted by Vâlenor
This is also supported by the fact that according to Adria, this whole plan was layed out long ago. She knew Diablo was within Aidan and conceived Leah with the intent for the plan to play out in this nature. If Diablo had succeeded in D2, then whatever (unless the original intent even then was to draw his brothers back out only to have them killed and hid his true essence within the child to be so that he had no reason to worry about losing yet another host). Worst case, it was a fail safe either way.

So basically, Leah was the last horcrux?
06/03/2012 07:42 AMPosted by Panzerbat
Jup, Don't make any sense at all. I might have missunderstood the whole story, but wasnt the black soulstone unfinished before we ressurected Zoltan, and he finished it?

I think if I am remembering it was finished, and he hid it in a pocket dimension essentially.
06/03/2012 11:40 AMPosted by Dovlin
it was finished, and he hid it in a pocket dimension essentially.

This.

Adria had marked their souls and essentially gave them an order of "go to Kulle's device", storing them in it as we destroyed them. Then, once we were almost done stockpiling demonic warlord souls into it, she figured it was time to have us to pick it up.

->Revive Zoltan
->Get stone
->Last few souls
->Leahblo.
Well, the only way I see that it makes sense would be that the worldstone held their souls.

The soul stones were powered by and fragments of the world stone.

So we smash diablo and mephistos soulstones. This way their spirits are sent to the world stone where they are safe (much safer than in a soulstone, waiting to corrupt anyone willing to jam them in their forehead).

But the fatal flaw was baal corrupting the soul stone, making it able to freely float to where it wants to go. Normally they go to hell to be reborn..

Adriana (and diablo by proxy) have a better plan, use the black soul stone to fuse into one prime evil.

So yeah *shrugs* I dunno.
Adria alreay trapping the 5 other evils inside the black soulstone somehow is called. . .

LAZY WRITING

p.s. the diablo 3 story is bad

ABSOLUTELY, it is nothing else for chrissakes. Look at all these people trying to rationalize and explain the story's inconsistencies for it to make some sense. Haha we're basically doing the writers work for them.