How I Fixed Diablo 3 FPS Slowdowns

Mac Technical Support
Prev 1 2 3 7 Next
05/17/2012 07:50 AMPosted by braddrac
I'm on the 9400m chipset and this worked for me.

Great glad I could help :) Blizzard should sticky this :)
I changed the resolution to 960x600 (the lowest widescreen resolution there is). I was able to play for over an hour straight with no slowdowns. This is definitely a good temp fix for most nvidias cards, however I'm sure blizzard will fix the issue and we can run full resolution soon, but until then this is the only solution to play is seems :)
Also a 2.66 Intel Core i7 Macbook Pro, 8 GB Ram, NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M 512 MB, OSX Lion user. It is still a little laggy but still an improvement in preformance.
I have tried this customization, it did not help on 9400M
Got any tips for a windows user? My computer isn't that great, but everywhere i go has told me that i my computer more than meets the requirements to play D3. When i'm just sitting around my fps is good, but as soon as i start walking or get into a fight, my fps drops immediately. I didn't have these kind of problems in beta, even with playing with other people in a party. It's extremely possible that it's my video card/processor, but sites that i have checked (even the d3 site) say that my specs can still play it. I have ati radeon hd 4870 video card and my cpu is amd athlon II X4 640.
05/17/2012 08:02 AMPosted by SoulReaper
I changed the resolution to 960x600 (the lowest widescreen resolution there is).

How did you manage to set the resolution to 960 x 600?
nVIDIA 9400 user here. Yeah, this didn't help.
05/17/2012 07:50 AMPosted by braddrac
I'm on the 9400m chipset and this worked for me.

Do you ONLY have the 9400M, or do you have the 9400M AND a 9600M GT?

If you have both chipsets, yes...you can change settings to the better 9600M for better performance. If you read this, id like a response, im curious as to whether you have both or ONLY the 9400M
Neat little Program that allows you to control Graphics Card switching: http://codykrieger.com/gfxCardStatus

Does a better job, runs in your toolbar at the top there.

Allows you to select which card to use, but you want to use the better one always...this is only for Macs that have that feature for power saving.
9400M aren't the only ones with issues. My early 2011 MacBook Pro (upgraded to 8GB of ram) runs at 12fps with the Intel HD3000 graphics - on the default settings. I plan on installing Win7 on bootcamp this evening.
05/17/2012 03:55 AMPosted by SoulReaper
My Specs are 2.66 Intel Core i7 Macbook Pro, 8 GB Ram, NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M 512 MB, OSX Lion.

I have the same Macbook pro, 15"? Is it 15"?

I didn't have to do anything, mine has been running fine. I just used the graphic card switcher and kept settings at medium mostly, some high. Resolution for mine native is 1440x900 though, not that 960 thing you're talking about. Odd.
Mine is mid 2010 btw. And I have only 4GB of ram! I do have ocasional slowdowns when first starting but if I shut off chrome and skype I'm fine. Really really weird. the GT330M 512mb sucks compared to what they got in them nowadays.
05/17/2012 12:37 PMPosted by CyRaX
Neat little Program that allows you to control Graphics Card switching: http://codykrieger.com/gfxCardStatus

This also works manually (without the app) for older MacBooks (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3207) and newer ones (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4110)

However, this does not work on Macs (especially older PowerBooks) that only have one graphics card built in. If there is no higher performance card connected to the motherboard, there is nothing better to switch over to.
Has anyone tried messing with more of the settings in that file? I know that when Swtor launched I had a bunch of framerate problems too, people started digging around in the ini file (similar to the file we're editing) and eventually people were finding combos that gave huge jumps in framerate. We should have some knowledgeable people start doing that.
Just tried it. It worked like a charm! always over 30FPS now. I have 9400. I'll update specs in a minute,
05/17/2012 09:25 AMPosted by philuxe
I have tried this customization, it did not help on 9400M

No noticeable difference for me either on a 9400M.
I tried this and it gave me an improvement in FPS of about 3-5 on average. I'm at about 30 in small rooms/town, but in the burning town area, I slow to about 9-12FPS. Would be interested to see more mods of files.

I'm playing with everything on the lowest settings possible, windowed 800x600. Not realy a fun way to play.

9400m/snow leopard
05/17/2012 01:41 PMPosted by SaltyTiggs
I tried this and it gave me an improvement in FPS of about 3-5 on average. I'm at about 30 in small rooms/town, but in the burning town area, I slow to about 9-12FPS.

Oh yeah, just tested it there as well and that might be the reason why I didn't see a difference. Have to check it elsewhere too.
i run a 9400M and it sped things up on the hero selection screen but thats it...
I have a 9400m, and no difference after editing the .txt file as said in the first post.