How I Fixed Diablo 3 FPS Slowdowns

Mac Technical Support
Prev 1 3 4 5 7 Next
I have the Nvidia 9400 and I tried editing the text file as you said.

However I couldn't see any tangible difference in the FPS. It still runs at 10-11 in some tricky areas. But hey thanks for trying to help.
This had no effect for me, however I've only experienced issues in Dahlgur Oasis, my fps will drop from 24 (where I have capped it) to around 10-12. .

Yeah that oasis is one of the worst place for FPS so far for me. Never ending slow motion!
At first I thought this fix had solved my problem. In town, my fps improved quite a bit and it was quite playable, and even when roaming about for a while. After about 10-15 minutes, it starts to stutter again and once it starts, it doesn't stop (8-9 fps). I'm on a Macbook Pro 13" 2.26 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo with the 9400M 256mb card. If I quit for a while and reboot, then my fps improves again for a short while before degrading again. I wonder if it's a heat issue? My laptop seems to heat up quite a bit before beginning to stutter. Thanks, though, it's still an improvement, I just have to reboot every 15 minutes.
I am in the Dahlgur Oasis now and it's umplayable. After about 5 minutes my FPS randomly drops to 6fps and stays there.
thats what happened to me, too,
till i configured the mentioned apps!
now it doesnt happen any more
Here is a video of what is happening to me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EO9iosLzEI
Exit the game and now do into System Preferences in Mac OSX
Go to Energy Saver and make sure Automatic graphics swithing is unchecked!

Now its time to edit the config file for Diablo III
You will have to edit a diablo preference file in
/Users/<<<Your User name goes here>>>/Library/Application Support/Blizzard/Diablo III/D3Prefs.txt

To get there the EZ way (because its a hidden file)

Click on the background of your desktop to make sure you in the "Finder Menu"
- Hold Down the Option Key and hit GO, then click Library (should show up under home)
- Open the Application Support Folder
- Open the Blizzard Folder
- Open The Diablo III Folder
- You will see a file called D3Prefs.txt open that with your text editor
- You will see a line that says DisableTrilinearFiltering "0" change this to DisableTrilinearFiltering "1"
- save file!

Ok, i have a macbookpro 2.66 ghz intel core 2 duo with 4gb of ram, and i cant find that energy saver setting anywhere, but also i cant not find the "D3prefs.txt" anywhere as well. Im in application support folder and i dont even have a blizzard folder. So im confused. i do have the 9400m graphics card, but i dont understand why i cant find this blizzard folder
I just confirmed that it doesn't matter if you're around a bunch of enemies or in a dungeon, etc. This just happened to me again while I was in a town standing there looking at the smith menu.

Looks like my game is now unplayable. $60 down the drain.
This helped a lot. I am now only able to achieve 30 fps though and most of the time it sits at 15-20 fps. Still bad but it doesn't drop down to 3 fps like before. I still hope they work this out soon. I am sure they have all of their resources on the RMAH right now but once that is sorted out they need to get on this.
05/19/2012 12:27 PMPosted by BurningCrow
I am sure they have all of their resources on the RMAH right now but once that is sorted out they need to get on this.

Of course they are. Gotta milk that cash cow.
I have an Alienware M11x R2 and i was having huge FR issues but your suggestions have made this game run so much more smoother! Thank you so much dude.

Now I can actually play with others.
im sorry guys but we shouldnt have to go through all of this to play the game

edit: this topic didnt work for me
i have a macbook pro, standard everything
Thanks but it didn't work for me. I'm on

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro6,2
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Processor Interconnect Speed: 4.8 GT/s
Boot ROM Version: MBP61.0057.B0C
SMC Version (system): 1.58f16
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 512 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x0a29
Revision ID: 0x00a2
ROM Revision: 3560
gMux Version: 1.9.21
Displays:
Color LCD:
Resolution: 1440 x 900
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Built-In: Yes

Until today I was able to play smoothly (around 50fps) with default settings but now fps is down to 5! after 10-15 min of playing. Rebooting helps for a lil while then BAM slow motion frame speed.
As you suggested I configured D3prefs.txt file, turned automatic graphics switching off, turned all settings to low and shadows off.. I'm running smc fan control changed to max speed so rpm wouldn't drop while I'm playing but non of these helped.
I was hoping that it could be fixed by cleaning the fans, getting a cooler but by the looks of it it has nothing to do with heating issue...
THIS WORKS !

I'm on a 27" 2009 imac. YES it does work. spread the words. sticky this. and shame on bliz for not hot fixing this.
05/19/2012 09:50 AMPosted by Shadow
I am in the Dahlgur Oasis now and it's umplayable. After about 5 minutes my FPS randomly drops to 6fps and stays there.

This is the WORST section of the game. So unbearable and frustrating. I think I had my worst Diablo experience ever yesterday attempting to pass that place on NM.

Even after this fix it didn't work for me. Runnin the 8600
I just wanted to pop a thanks for the info.

Unfortunately I had no joy. I was still plodding around the Dahlgur Oasis at 12fps at best.
Bliz is working on a fix. It might take a little while, but for me that's better than shelling out more cash for Windows.

For those with 9400 or the 320, we are very aware that it is not playable in a lot of zones. We will optimize the game to change this.

We just need some time, I hope you understand that we can't release a patch with such a change very quickly. We do not want to introduce a bigger problem.
- https://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4903180328?page=8#153
05/19/2012 12:27 PMPosted by BurningCrow
This helped a lot. I am now only able to achieve 30 fps though and most of the time it sits at 15-20 fps. Still bad but it doesn't drop down to 3 fps like before. I still hope they work this out soon. I am sure they have all of their resources on the RMAH right now but once that is sorted out they need to get on this.

Found out the reason I was getting such low fps (20-15) was because I was in the Oasis. After that I get 50 and drops down to 20-30 every so often. So this helped keep it from dropping down to unplayable rates but there is still a problem. Oh and I had to move to 800x600 for that.