FPS - A Letter To Blizzard

Mac Technical Support
Prev 1 2 3 8 Next
Even of it came to an option to disable the fancy water reflection/fire effects, that would go a long long way to improving the performance on the 9400m. I honestly wouldn't miss them if it allowed me to play at a constant framerate >20fps!

Edit: Whenever I get near smoke effects my fps take a nosedive too. Could there be a way to implement them in a way that would entitle Blizzard to call the 9400m supported? At the minute I'm only getting solid FPS on the log in screen, and I sure didn't pay for a bird-watching simulator.
Please, for the love of raptor jesus, make this update soon. Personally my setup is

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,5
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.26 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MBP55.00AC.B03
SMC Version (system): 1.47f2

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 9400M
Type: GPU
Bus: PCI
VRAM (Total): 256 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x0863
Revision ID: 0x00b1
ROM Revision: 3427
Displays:
Color LCD:
Resolution: 1280 x 800
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Built-In: Yes
Display Connector:

System Version: Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K549)
Kernel Version: Darwin 10.8.0
Boot Volume: Macintosh HD
Boot Mode: Normal

Secure Virtual Memory: Enabled
64-bit Kernel and Extensions: No

and the times I get honestly really good fps are in wide open areas, like in the beginning of act 2 in some portions, and the huge field where the moon clan is in act 1. I ran with absolutely perfect fps in these parts, but then I venture into different areas and it's dead, dead, dead fps.
05/16/2012 11:02 PMPosted by S4d1k
We are aware that the FPS is really low with some video cards like the 9400 and below expectations on better cards. We are doing our best to find optimizations. We do not have numbers or a date but we are doing our best to alleviate the problem as soon as possible.

Thank you, I honestly didn't expect a response but I appreciate this simple comment more than you understand.
i know they cant give it to us… but i really with there was some sort of timeline.
Ditto.

05/17/2012 05:48 AMPosted by Zerolimite
and the times I get honestly really good fps are in wide open areas, like in the beginning of act 2 in some portions, and the huge field where the moon clan is in act 1. I ran with absolutely perfect fps in these parts, but then I venture into different areas and it's dead, dead, dead fps.

If you're not afraid of spoilers, you can compare your perfs with my fps on various act2 areas (final act boss as well) http://www.imagup.com/data/1151913626.html
We are aware that the FPS is really low with some video cards like the 9400 and below expectations on better cards. We are doing our best to find optimizations. We do not have numbers or a date but we are doing our best to alleviate the problem as soon as possible.

Thank you very much! I'm sure this response has at least (even a little) given some hope to us that there is actually something being done about the matter. Word has been spreading that the Blizzard team is not doing anything at all (which I really hope is not the case). I believe you all are dedicated into putting due effort to make a fantastic game (which Diablo 3 is), but sad to say, some technical issues have denied most Mac users from experiencing the best gameplay they can get out of their computers and the game.

May I suggest something? Could the team possibly take notes/minutes and post them on the forums as a sticky? This is so that everyone will know what is happening and that Blizzard is actually trying to "alleviate the problem as soon as possible", if you don't mind me using your words. I am positively sure that everyone will welcome the team's regular updates on this low FPS/choppy gameplay issue. Thank you once again.
05/16/2012 11:58 PMPosted by Broteinshake
thank you for the first reply that has made me feel a lil less regretful for buying this game.

It's Blizzard, you know they're going to be patching this for years to come. Optimization for mac performance is usually one huge area of improvement in the first few months. It's one reason (though usually not the biggest) why many companies delay Mac releases.

May I suggest something? Could the team possibly take notes/minutes and post them on the forums as a sticky? This is so that everyone will know what is happening and that Blizzard is actually trying to "alleviate the problem as soon as possible", if you don't mind me using your words. I am positively sure that everyone will welcome the team's regular updates on this low FPS/choppy gameplay issue. Thank you once again.

Are you kidding? You want them busy writing you progress reports instead of working on, you know, actually fixing the problem you want them to fix? That's what CM's are for, so the people actually working on stuff don't have to waste all their time updating the fanbase. And having to relay things constantly to the CM's isn't much better. You'll hear something when they have something to report.
My MacBook Pro meets the recommended specs. The game is definitely playable at the highest resolution, but I do have to turn off antialiasing and shadows, and set everything else to low to get a decent framerate. It's still a very nice-looking game.

However, I'd expect that if my computer meets the recommended specs that I should be able to play with no issues at the default settings, which seem to be maxed out. My question is "What should I expect from a computer that meets the 'recommended' specs?" Because I didn't expect that I'd have to make so many compromises.
Quite a few Blues have already responded, and its the same mantra: they are aware of the issue and are working to try and fix it.

So, i suggest that both sides need to take this into account:

For Mac users...we just simply need to relax (hard to do with the level of frustration, i know) and keep sending in our specs and reports to help them while they attempt to optimize it for Mac users.

For Blizzard...just continue to look for a solution and remember that the mac users will hold you to your word.

What are the chances that this is a problem that "can't be fixed by Blizzard"?
is it more likely that they'll update their system requirement to exclude 9400m?

because if the odds are against a successful fix, we can just go buy a cheap new computer.
but if its a "definitely will be fixed" I can wait...

just need a heads up.

Everyone, please quote this. I'm getting neurotic.

I'd love a dedicated thread or Twitter feed. Something.

Are you kidding? You want them busy writing you progress reports instead of working on, you know, actually fixing the problem you want them to fix? That's what CM's are for, so the people actually working on stuff don't have to waste all their time updating the fanbase. And having to relay things constantly to the CM's isn't much better. You'll hear something when they have something to report.

You're missing my point. The point of the report is to update us about the issue. If the CM's are the point of contact between the community and the game designers, then wouldn't the game designers also have to contact the CMs which then contact us? Having more variables into the equation just makes it more complicated. Also, I'm not saying it has to be a long report. Like I said, minutes or notes. It can be as simple as:

Meeting No.1 regarding low FPS on Macs:

- Discussed issue
- Brainstormed solutions
- Found a relatively short-term solution for now
- Next meeting to focus on long term solution eg. patch

And that would be more than enough to at least keep us in the know of what is happening over at Blizzard. Also, the secretary would probably be just taking minutes and won't really be 'part of the discussion', so I don't see how that will affect the 'busy schedules' of the team. If we communicated by this,

community -> CM -> Blizzard team -> solution -> Blizzard team -> CM -> community

wouldn't it be better if we just heard directly from the team itself? Yes they have their own responsibilities and work I understand, but like what I said, adding more variables complicates things.

Furthermore, by having frequent reports, we will know that Blizzard IS actually doing something about it and now just shelving it to collect dust like:

Problem: Low FPS on Macs
Solution: Unknown/KIV

But the bottom line is that this is just my two cents worth of ideas so that we are constantly being updated about works happening with Blizzard. We live in an age where technology is a part of us already; use it to our advantage. Simply waiting for something to happen is like waiting for money to roll into your bank account without going out to find a job.

Everyone, please quote this. I'm getting neurotic.

I'd love a dedicated thread or Twitter feed. Something.

Thank you! Someone who understands that updates are a necessity..
We do not have numbers or a date but we are doing our best to alleviate the problem as soon as possible.

This shouldn't even occur.. Don't put requirements that are complete BS.. Did you even test this on a MAC? Why would you say its compatible when it not? You milked me.. and you milked me hard...
As one of the lucky few who didn't buy the game I still feel a bit of anger that so many people seem to have just thrown $60 to the wind... even if the game gets patched up to speed later you've basically given Blizzard a bunch of interest-free loans. That would not fly elsewhere. They should have delayed the Mac release. Simultaneous release on both OS's is not as critical as delivering a quality product.
Dear Blizzard,

This letter is to inform you of the disgust that is building in my stomach about your reaction to the Mac FPS issues. Well, its not so much your reaction as it is your lack of, but I digress. As an intelligent individual, capable of rational thought, I completely understand that you are a major corporation undergoing a major title release and that your resources are exhausted. However, this game has been in development for too long to leave us in the dark, and to simply ignore me as a customer is appalling. I paid the same $59.99 that the PC users paid and I'm not asking for a patch within the next 24 hours, but I am asking for an official response letting me know, good or bad, what your next step will be. Trust me, I can handle it.

Sincerely,

Cheated, Robbed, and Abandoned.

P.S. Feel free to leave your own letter, the venting actually helps and I feel like an intelligent group response may turn more heads, just please keep it clean.

It's nice to see someone trying to vent frustration while at the same time keep their composure. Sadly, I've now spent a bit more than $59.99 to try and fix my issues, but alas, to no avail. Though Blizzard has noted in their long list of fixes that Mac users are complaining about fps issues and that it is currently under investigation (mind you the word "fix" is immediately followed by "in review"), I feel that most of us just need an honest-to-god response from Blizzard that clearly and descriptively explains what they are planning to do about this issue. I personally have put in a support ticket regarding this issue and would recommend that others do the same. Blizzard can avoid chat forums if they wish, but the support tickets stay open until the problem is resolved.
Yeh with my 330M card i am averaging at 20 some times 30. Performance on Mac is really awful.
05/17/2012 09:15 AMPosted by Gretch89
It's nice to see someone trying to vent frustration while at the same time keep their composure. Sadly, I've now spent a bit more than $59.99 to try and fix my issues, but alas, to no avail. Though Blizzard has noted in their long list of fixes that Mac users are complaining about fps issues and that it is currently under investigation (mind you the word "fix" is immediately followed by "in review"), I feel that most of us just need an honest-to-god response from Blizzard that clearly and descriptively explains what they are planning to do about this issue. I personally have put in a support ticket regarding this issue and would recommend that others do the same. Blizzard can avoid chat forums if they wish, but the support tickets stay open until the problem is resolved.

Thank you, calm, well thought words can go a long way and your exactly right, I think all any Mac user wants is detail. We can wait for the patch, just please talk us through your process since we payed to play this game and it's just intolerable.

Curious, would using opengl 3.2 go a long way in doing that? i often wonder just how much performance is being sacrificed on backwards compatability extentions and disregarding much newer GLSL or other extentions that are now availablein 10.7.4? (btw i get good performance on my mac pro, i'm just curious though)

Which btw, anyone still on 10.6.8 really should update to 10.7.4 as 10.6.8 only gets older and older by the day with no further apple updates, and 10.7 really did add a lot of new opengl stuff that's just ripe for the using :)

Hey Omega, what video card are you using that you get good performance? I have Macbook Pro also but I'm using 10.6.8 with:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,2
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 8 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 9400M
Bus: PCI
VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 512 MB

I have to run on low settings, shadows off, etc. I run on the second lowest resolution - I found very little difference between that and 800x600. But overall FPS is bad and constantly slows down every so often.
Anomie, If you have both chipsets you should be able to switch to High Performance in your energy saver preferences. That should help some.