DH vs Wizard

Demon Hunter
Loaded post, I know - this is in the DH forums after all.

There's a big post up in the Wizard forums (http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5152408706) talking about someone's experience with both of the ranged classes, DH and Wiz.

I've been very very torn between the two. I started the wizard first, he's level 37 or so and pretty fun to play.

My DH is level.. 8? She's also a blast, just has a different feel.

Anyone here play both classes extensively and able to compare/contrast them for me, so I can try to decide what to play going forward?

Edit: Should say, Zon and Sorc were my two mains in D2.. just love the style of play. Zon (while not a direct comparison to DH, fairly close) was the one I played the most. Sorc was for MF.
well Im a DH and I pair up with a wizard all the time and he dies...alot not cause of the class Im guessing its cause of the way he plays but hey he's my friend I don't mind dieing over and over again; but I digress.

I did some research for him and apperantly wizards have insane survivability at inferno, so do DH but with a wizard you don't need to be on your toes with the buttons all the time. The way I see it the wizard is the easier class to play...not that playing wizard is easy but if playing a DH was a 9/10 on the difficulty scale the wizard would be a 7...but then again I didn't roll wizard so...ya guess you're back where you started :P
Just some comments i'd like to make. Its easier for a wiz cuz of the the 0 vita energy armor build, for a DH u have to time your smoke screen or get 1-2 shotted past act 2 inferno regardless of your DH's HP. DMG wise with the same standard of gear, both are comparable.

My 2 cents, if both are similar pick the one u think looks better. I personally prefer my wiz, i like flashy skills:P
Just some comments i'd like to make. Its easier for a wiz cuz of the the 0 vita energy armor build, for a DH u have to time your smoke screen or get 1-2 shotted past act 2 inferno regardless of your DH's HP. DMG wise with the same standard of gear, both are comparable.

My 2 cents, if both are similar pick the one u think looks better. I personally prefer my wiz, i like flashy skills:P

Yeah.. I just can't decide. I like them both, a lot. Haha. Reason I keep on with Wiz is I've already sunk 24 hours into him and I'm in A2 NM, whereas the DH is still Act 1 Norm.
Many types of Wizard survivability right now, especially in Inferno, are built on a shakey game mechanic.

Force Armor and a rune makes no hit strike for more than 35% of your health. With low health and high health regen, this makes you regen 35% of your health pretty quickly. People still die to rapid attacks or DoTs, but it's a hardy build for many situations.

DH's rely on a similar mechanic: Smoke Screen/Preparation for an astounding amount of aggro-drop, invisibility, and immunity when chain casted.

Both mechanics feel 'gimmicky' to me, but others love them and will argue for hours about how they're legitimate and intended.

That said, I really don't find too much else different about the classes.

Wizard has more 'natural-feeling' AoE to me with chain attacks and simple AoE explosions, but many of the builds lack the kind of single-target firepower a DH can bring. I love its crowd control abilities (Blizzard, Frost Nova). Venom Hydra seems bugged (each head creates a pool of venom and the venoms stack for like 54% weapon damage a second), so it's an easy choice for both AoE and Solo play.

Demon Hunter, however, has a more direct style of play and the enhanced single-target focus is amazing when you need to kill a powerful enemy FAST.

I feel more safe on my Demon Hunter because Smoke Screen is so overpowered. But if I lag for even a second, I die instantly. My Wizard is a bit more forgiving if I'm being chased, but I feel less in control and miss Smoke Screen's aggro drop.

EDIT: Totally forgot something else! I think DH has more usable skills than Wizard. Arcane Torrent, Arcane Tornado, Meteor, Ray of Frost, Wave of Force, Ice Armor, Storm Armor, Explosive Blast, etc are rarely used in current Inferno solo builds. I see much less wiggle-room with Wizards than with DHs.

TLDR: Similar and I believe much of the difference in what you'll enjoy is personal, so I'd encourage you to play both and see which one you like more. Both are powerful if built right.
wizard survivability is EASIER to use but more circumstantial (doesn't work against more mobs)

SS works with just about anything cause its literally invincibility, you just need to time it right.

THe choice is urs
Many types of Wizard survivability right now, especially in Inferno, are built on a shakey game mechanic.

Force Armor and a rune makes no hit strike for more than 35% of your health. With low health and high health regen, this makes you regen 35% of your health pretty quickly. People still die to rapid attacks or DoTs, but it's a hardy build for many situations.

DH's rely on a similar mechanic: Smoke Screen/Preparation for an astounding amount of aggro-drop, invisibility, and immunity when chain casted.

Both mechanics feel 'gimmicky' to me, but others love them and will argue for hours about how they're legitimate and intended.

That said, I really don't find too much else different about the classes.

Wizard has more 'natural-feeling' AoE to me with chain attacks and simple AoE explosions, but many of the builds lack the kind of single-target firepower a DH can bring. I love its crowd control abilities (Blizzard, Frost Nova). Venom Hydra seems bugged (each head creates a pool of venom and the venoms stack for like 54% weapon damage a second), so it's an easy choice for both AoE and Solo play.

Demon Hunter, however, has a more direct style of play and the enhanced single-target focus is amazing when you need to kill a powerful enemy FAST.

I feel more safe on my Demon Hunter because Smoke Screen is so overpowered. But if I lag for even a second, I die instantly. My Wizard is a bit more forgiving if I'm being chased, but I feel less in control and miss Smoke Screen's aggro drop.

EDIT: Totally forgot something else! I think DH has more usable skills than Wizard. Arcane Torrent, Arcane Tornado, Meteor, Ray of Frost, Wave of Force, Ice Armor, Storm Armor, Explosive Blast, etc are rarely used in current Inferno solo builds. I see much less wiggle-room with Wizards than with DHs.

TLDR: Similar and I believe much of the difference in what you'll enjoy is personal, so I'd encourage you to play both and see which one you like more. Both are powerful if built right.

Just what I was looking for. I think I might spend another night with the DH and get her further along.. hopefully into Act 3. Can't decide if I want to public game it up (in normal) or not though, since those sometimes seem slower.

If I was doing this all again, I'd have gone back and rolled DH first. I'm just looking for an excuse to do that, I think, since I've sunk 24 hours into Wiz already.
Just some comments i'd like to add, which might help u decide:P Forum post-wise, there are wayyyyy more people complaining about wizard's force armor being OP than smoke screen. Its more likely by the time you are comfortably sunk into your wizard, the ONE game breaking mechanic allowing it ease in inferno will be nerfed, and mark my words, a nerf to force armor will change EVERYTHING for a wizard in inferno.(They will prolly all reroll DH trolol).

Another thing to consider is, lets say both smoke screen and force armor are nerfed, as a DH, u'll still have superior mobility, so at the very least, a DH will always get to whereever he wants to go, faster than any other class:P (not sure how big an advantage u'd consider that)

Last but not least, another +point for the DH, from what i've seen friends playing and from reading posts from other class forums, i think the DH requires the least changes from PvM - PvP. For other classes, they need to do major gear/build swaps.
Both are strong endgame, i feel like wiz is the better class at the moment. They are the best tanks at the moment, and the optimal build is pure dps to boot. They work extremely well with groups whereas i feel DH works slightly better solo, since the survival tools are slightly more "selfish"

More margin for error with wiz also since you can actually take hits, whereas in inferno act 2 even trash mobs are 1 shotting me :(
All is past, looks like after recent hotfix, energy armor/force armor doesn't work now as before in inferno difficulity :P