Best single target spell

Demon Hunter
Best single target spell DH has by FAR is spike trap with the scatter rune (place 3 simultaneously). For 30 hatred it places 3 traps that do 250% weapon damage each. On most bosses/champions you can place the traps such that all 3 hit each cast. It's 750% damage for 30 hatred.

Just a note, on some smaller bosses you can only hit with two of the traps.

I have ~ 15 000 dps right now and can kill the butcher on inferno in around a minute. The traps are insane dps.
Can't wait to level 55.. been abusing spike trap with long fuse atm.
Spike trap (scatter) does indeed do great damage, but you can't effectively use intill at least two of the traps from your last firing of the ability have gone off. Which means its rather lack luster for burst and may force you to move enemies into them, taking away from your dps.
Agreed. Although I am a fan of long fuse over scatter just because it's hard for mobs to hit all 3 without some guidance. I have to try scatter on bosses though, b/c like you said their increased model size would probably proc all 3 simultaneously
Best single target spell DH has by FAR is spike trap with the scatter rune

Have you tried Cluster Arrow with Cluster Bombs? It drops 5 or 6 bombs in total for 230% damage each, the larger the enemy the more will hit.
It is possible to hit with all of them.
Best single target spell DH has by FAR is spike trap with the scatter rune (place 3 simultaneously). For 30 hatred it places 3 traps that do 250% weapon damage each. On most bosses/champions you can place the traps such that all 3 hit each cast. It's 750% damage for 30 hatred.

Just a note, on some smaller bosses you can only hit with two of the traps.

I have ~ 15 000 dps right now and can kill the butcher on inferno in around a minute. The traps are insane dps.

Been using spike trap since level 17. I knew it would be godly from the minute I saw it in Beta. Funny how few people actually use it.
Spike trap is gfg for certain situations
I run this and it really tears up bosses. spikes hit usually 2 on a boss.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#aZXVjS!YeT!acZcYc

I'm in Inferno A4.

Inferno a2 boss is freaking ridiculous. It is possible to kill him with this but you have to get at least 2 procs of Prep to do it.
As for a3 bosses on inferno they are pretty easy as a DH if you know how to kite and where 2 go.
Usually takes 2-3 tries per boss to get them down though.
My stats @ as follows Without SS
26k life
32k Damage
1384 Dex
2.2 attacks per sec with a 2h bow
14% crit strike

Hunger arrow is your top dps ability
I use traps on boss when i'm running and when standing still I use impale.
Reason for impale instead...
takes less time to cast than setting up traps and waiting to explode to set new ones.
you get 2-3 impales in times takes 1 trap to go
My traps hit for 35-55k and crit for 70k ish
My Impale hits for 45-75k and crits for 90-150k Have had a 165k crit once was nasty.
So for bosses impale quickly out does traps especially when u can run cast run cast really really fast.
Hope this is helpful :D
(NONE OF THIS INCLUDES MFD BONUS)
I've had some major fun with impale with crit rune or chemical burn, 250% weapon damage with 125% weapon damage burn is amazing (If using the chemical burn rune). And has an amazing range, I've had over 140k crits with that thing, so much fun