iMac (Desktop) 9400 - FPS

Mac Technical Support
I was in D3 beta and like many, had no issues with "sluggish" FPS until Blizzard released a certain patch (it was 15,16,or 17 if i remember correctly).

I have been somewhat resistant to fiddle with my settings in hopes that Blizzard would release a patch or some sort of official fix to this clearly common issue of low FPS with mac users, but alas, no fix yet and I'm not keeping my fingers crossed for one soon.

So...I started trying to improve my FPS. Like many, I found that in some areas (like oasis) my FPS was just absolutely terrible while in others (usually in dungeon zones) my FPS is perfectly fine.

I want to point out that I am on a Desktop, not a macbook pro, as many of the threads posted are specific to macbook pro's and often don't mention whether the settings should differ for a desktop.

If anyone has any solutions specific to an iMac DESKTOP (specs will be posted at end of my post) I would really appreciate it. Like I said, most of the time when I'm in dungeon zones and some smaller zones my fps is perfectly fine, but in other areas it becomes absolutely horrible and I would really like to fix this if possible.

Anyways here is my computer info (and I am running mac OS X version 10.6.8 if that makes any difference):

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac10,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 3.06 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: IM101.00CC.B00
SMC Version (system): 1.52f9

NVIDIA GeForce 9400:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 9400
Type: GPU
Bus: PCI
VRAM (Total): 256 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x0869
Revision ID: 0x00b1
ROM Revision: 3454

Right now I am playing at the minimum display settings on D3 (all the recommendations such as low resolution, shadows off, etc) but it doesn't seem to make much of a difference - the FPS seems to be either perfectly fine or terrible depending on the zone.

I;ve tried many of the popular "fixes" mentioned in other threads but all of those threads appear to be about macbook pro's as opposed to desktops so I'm wondering if there may be a different / better solution for desktop users like me.

Thanks.
Unless you purchase Windows 7 and use BootCamp, there's nothing else you can do. I have the exact same computer, and I've tried literally everything, I promise. Anything and everything remotely relevant to helping performance, I've done it. Until Blizzard does something about it (if they even do), we're SOL my friend.

It's so beyond frustrating to know the potential a game could have but LITERALLY not be able to play it because Blizzard SOMEHOW never tested the 9400 series...in 8 years.
I have the same computer as well and I've loaded Windows 7 on my machine. I have no sound unless my head set is plugged in and as soon as I tried logging in I got a message from the game that the 9400 is not a supported card. Not sure if it's a windows thing or what.

I've been playing in windows fairly well. Intermittent lag but not enough to kill me. :D

good luck
From the known issues: [Mac, Under review] Mac users are reporting low FPS/performance during gameplay. This is currently under review/investigation.

I'm not sure if this affects iMacs, but my fiancée and I both have MBPs (different models by 2.5 years). Mine has a GeForce 9400M/256 and 9600M/512 that are supposed to auto-switch. Hers has two cards also, but Radeon. Neither of our MBPs are auto switching properly. I had to get a utility for both of us that allows us to force the discrete card to work (rather than the integrated one).

On a side note, the 9400M is NOT powerful enough to run the game well at all. It's bad, despite meeting minimum specs, even with resolution and effects turned way down.
We are working on some optimizations updates that will make improvements for performance for the 9400M, 320M and other graphics cards for Mac. This will be coming out in a few weeks.

We'll post an update when the time gets closer, but the team is working hard to get this update implemented.

This is small step for me, but big step for humanity. Or something like that...
I did the following and it seemed to work. I have 9400M:
1- All graphics settings on low. Note: Game looks OK, not great.
2- graphics set for performance and not battery. System Settings>Power Saver
3- In the game options, set background FPS to 1 and Foreground FPS to 50.
4- I am playing at 800x600 resolution.

Gameply is fine, not choppy. Graphics don't look awesome but to be honest, I am not playing for graphics detail. I am playing for gameplay and lore and loot pinatas. Hope others have success with this.

I hope the optimizations let me bump up setting and resolution! Regardless, I can play and it is awesome.
05/20/2012 01:13 PMPosted by Stormborn
Blizzard SOMEHOW never tested the 9400 series...in 8 years.

Been playing WoW with all the graphics settings cranked to the max for a few years on this computer now. Blizzard is familiar with the 9400 series, they just didn't seem to make D3 compatible with it (WoW had some issues with this card as well but they sorted it out..eventually).

and from what it looks like according to the blue post above, they're finally announcing that they are working on an update for us. hurray.

In the mean time, tips for imroving performance are much appreciated...I just started Hell difficulty and I'm dreading when I get to the oasis...hah
I have an Imac w/ the 9400, yeah it's terrible. I hope it'll be properly fixed. Speaking of the oasis I'm stuck there in nightmare, 7fps, dying over and over, can't join a public game, all my friends are waiting in HC, seems like a dead end.
Blizzard,

Thanks for working on this. I know it might take a few weeks; maybe more maybe less. But I'm grateful you guys are taking the time to address this issue. In the meantime, if you have 9400m, just play every character up to about lvl 25 and repeat as needed. You'll get some decent gold out of it and you can at least go to the IGAH and built up some gear for when the issue is fixed. You were patient for years. A couple of weeks will not kill you. Plus, it's better than dropping a few hundred dollars on a PC just to play a game.
None of the tips make performance playable. Act 3 is the worst. If you think the Oasis is bad, just quit. I somehow made it through the HORRIBLE FPS Oasis, but only to get to Act 3, where you can't even move, not joking.

I finally gave up at level 33 in Act III, you just can't play.
I do hope these optimizations also help those with 2.8 ghz core2duo iMacs with the ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro (256 mb vram).

Thx