Does the Witchdoctor seem out of place?

General Discussion
Prev 1 9 10 11 32 Next
05/30/2012 07:13 PMPosted by Djentleman
My witch doctor is male, but now I'm tempted to try the female. I picked the male because I really love the voice of the character. I already love the African accent anyway, and for some reason the voice actor reminds me of Rafiki from the Lion King. I'll have to try out the female and see how the character feels.

Rafiki is my Witch Doctors name :D

Your battle.tag is so !@#$ing win
05/30/2012 04:15 PMPosted by PVStar
Is it because he's black?

What happens if I say yes?
05/31/2012 01:17 AMPosted by Wonderlust
Aren't Witchdoctor's just Necromancer's in a funny hat?

sorry but wd is no where as powerful as a necromancer

u try making 70 summons as as WD go ahead try it ;D

u could as a necromancer though :D

Who cares about summons :/ Witch Doctor CC is through the roof. And dire bats would one shot an entire army of necro skellies :P
05/30/2012 04:17 PMPosted by Jeger
Yes. Throwing frogs and snakes at people doesn't seem to fit. Cleave them in two with a longsword, or blow them up with a fireball, yes. Snake and frogs = no.

Hrm, I use fireballs, blow darts, and locust swarms...:P

In all honesty, I like my WD but there are so many abilities that seem useless.
My main is a witch doctor (male) and I really like the dialogs he has with all the characters in the game. Sometimes though, I have some difficulties seeing the ''witch doctor'' part of him. The ''odd'' spells aren't really a problem for me (I really like the feel of them, like corpse spiders or wall of zombies or zombie charger), but sometimes I feel like he's a bit too lucid for a witch doctor (it is my understanding that they are used to mental altering drugs).

Overall though, he's definitely the class I enjoy the most playing.
My witch doctor is male, but now I'm tempted to try the female. I picked the male because I really love the voice of the character. I already love the African accent anyway, and for some reason the voice actor reminds me of Rafiki from the Lion King. I'll have to try out the female and see how the character feels.

Sounds more like a Caribbean/Haitian accent to me....

Voodoo!

Interesting!

Are you referring to how the witch doctor looks (physical appearance + armor options) or how the hero interacts with other characters in the game and progresses with the story arc? Or is it all about gameplay, and what spells the witch doctor has in its arsenal?

This is just anecdotal, but I've experimented with all five classes on various genders, too, and the witch doctor (female) is my absolute favorite in terms of how she engages with the main the characters and responds to conflict, so I'm curious about what just doesn't "click" for you.

/eagerly waiting your response

Why don't you respond to the massive avalanche of people getting their accounts stripped of all their items and gold without getting keylogged or phished, instead of making pointless responses to dumb posts like this?

Tell us what's going on. This is happening on a scale never seen in any game in modern history, software engineers are getting hacked, people who've used the internet for 2 decades without ever getting hacked are getting hacked, game industry journalists are getting hacked.

STOP BEING SUCH A POLITICIAN AND ADMIT THAT DIABLO 3 HAS A SECURITY HOLE ALREADY.

What good would that do?

and

Get an authenticator.
i think you guys messed up by not putting locusts back in this game that eat enemy's to the bone
After playing a little bit of every class, I have found that the Witchdoctor seems really out of place in this game, as if he doesn't belong at all

Anyone else feel this way?

Interesting!

Are you referring to how the witch doctor looks (physical appearance + armor options) or how the hero interacts with other characters in the game and progresses with the story arc? Or is it all about gameplay, and what spells the witch doctor has in its arsenal?

This is just anecdotal, but I've experimented with all five classes on various genders, too, and the witch doctor (female) is my absolute favorite in terms of how she engages with the main the characters and responds to conflict, so I'm curious about what just doesn't "click" for you.

/eagerly waiting your response

for me it's just the fact that pets are obsolete in late hell/inferno.
i wanted to play a pet class, instead the witch doctor is just a mage with "strange" amazingly unique spells.
but still...
I've only played a WD starting to get to the levels where your pets are becoming useless.

And damn is it fun.

Really they ought to have just done without pets that don't explode, and focused more on the base line skills of a life drinker and life taker cc all that good stuff.
05/30/2012 04:15 PMPosted by Drizzle404
i asked the witch doctor for his opinion, and all he said was "oo ee, oo ah ah. ting, tang, wadda wadda bing bang"

Have to be one of the funniest things ive read on these forums all week.
Yes I does Op It shouldve been necromancer all the way.
05/30/2012 06:30 PMPosted by JohnnySmash
The Witchdoctor is pretty awesome, I think it fits because in Diablo 2 act 3 you had all those Fetish Shaman guys and there has to be human people that live in the wilderness and study that type of magic.

Yes, but those little shaman guys breathed fire in your face. They didn't summon frogs.
The witch doctor is beast from what I have seen. Very good killer of demons. Im still struggling in Inferno with my wiz, but the which doctors although may not be a tank... do some insane damage.

If you get a good barb, monk, wiz, and wd team... Inferno is pretty darn fun. The WD is BEAST if done right though! I have seen they WIPE OUT entire groups with much greater speed and effectiveness than my wiz.
I miss my Necromancer and his ragtag band of skeleton warriors. ;_;
Well, I guess the out of place feeling is coming from the evil (spirit / voodoo / hex) nature of the attack.

I enjoy the class immensely, my favourite attack being exploding skull bombs and haunt.

However, to me, it's a bit strange to be summoning undeads to fight the demons. I'd think it'll be to hard to pass the lore that's all, with Diablo the prime evil taking hits from mere zombies and ghosts.
Also, how can the templar reconcile his companionship with an undead controller is kind of stretching out a bit far...

I mean, I like the concept of fighting fire with fire (and I enjoyed the necromancer the most in D2) ... but when the screen is full of undeads jumping around and huge bugs everywhere, its a bit hard to tell what on earth is going on !!

Anyhow, nevertheless its still fun when you get massive kill bonus with exploding frogs !!
Agreed. The Witch Doctor's design is overly stereotypical of the real-world Caribbean voodoo, including racist overtones. Was it really necessary to make the only non-white character a decrepit-looking, hunched-over demon worshiper? You would think in this day and age, the game's art and story directors would be a little more keen on this sort of thing.

The exact same criticism could be levied against WoW's trolls.
idk if someone already said this but....probly because most RPGs you play are themed after Western Myths and styles ie Elves, Orcs, Dwarves, Wizards/Mages, Knights in armor, European Gothic/Renaissance architecture, darkness, Black Plague. where as the WD and his looks and spells are not centered or inspired by anything European really, more Eastern/African and its inspired by West African culture and Myth, not western

so yeah compared to the others he is a little out of place in a sense, but i like him
Agreed. The Witch Doctor's design is overly stereotypical of the real-world Caribbean voodoo, including racist overtones. Was it really necessary to make the only non-white character a decrepit-looking, hunched-over demon worshiper? You would think in this day and age, the game's art and story directors would be a little more keen on this sort of thing.

The exact same criticism could be levied against WoW's trolls.

I don't think it was necessarily racism, I think it is more than the normal person thinks that most civilized areas don't have these kinds of things going on, which means things like the witch doctor stuff take place in areas where man hasn't touched. That would be tropical areas where people have darker skin.

Just saying.

It worries me that the way you use "normal people" means "people like us." You're implying that people who use voodoo or have that kind of culture are abnormal...which is exactly the sort of perspective that Blizzard feeds in to when creating these stereotypical characters.