Does the Witchdoctor seem out of place?

General Discussion
Prev 1 20 21 22 32 Next
I think you'd have less hating on the WD, in general, if our zombie dogs and gargantuan didn't require fairly specific and fairly rigid gearing requirements to be viable.

Dump dogs for wall of zombies (any rune pretty much) and you'll be a ton happier. Does more damage and doesn't die. And it makes fighting elites 10000x easier since you have long periods of time where they can't even touch you.

And they stop the butcher's charge attack - which is awesome. I'm not sure how I got along before I dumped dogs for them.
Why not have pets life scale with intellect and damage scale by the DPS (damage) of the witch doctor?
WTB an array of curses and Corpse Explosion.

I hate firebats. They are inferno (one of my favorite spells) only made ridiculous and silly. They have fireball too (my other favorite), only lobbed in as a skull rather than shot forth at great speed.

Please give my wizard a fiery death ball instead of the slow moving arcane orb. I want my wizard to have better fire spells. You took the best sorcerer spells and gave them to the witch doctor after making them stupid.
I think it's because the witch doctor seems..."out of place" that I love the class. Right down to the look, spells, and overall feel...I enjoy a class that can break the barrier of boring reused fantasy heroes one would expect you to become.
By the way why isn't dog summoning and sacrificing done by this concept from 2009?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMbagdEF1tc#t=1m1s

No CD and mana cost and option to sacrifice dogs 1 by 1 seems much more fun to me.
Please consider the following:

1. Spider Queen: Please make the radius a bit larger or make her walk a bit faster.

2. Toad of Hugeness: This rune needs a SERIOUS look-at. I've tried it several times and it really only works on white trash enemy. It does not even work on enemies that have bigger "body size". It cannot swallow champion or higher rank. It only works on ONE trash enemy and sadly, a skill that only works in trash situation is a trash skill. That's how I see it.

Some ideas I have is:
A. To keep the "swallowing theme", I would suggest increasing Toad's swallowing damage each time it "eats". It makes sense. Your Toad eats and grows strong! I would suggest something like increasing weapon damage from 20% weapon damage to 30% for each monster eaten and the buff duration can last 60s. This way you can keep feeding your Toad and watch him grow and you can put a cap on the buff damage.

B. Another idea I have is after eating one "small size", it gains its strength and it can swallow a larger size and after 3 times, it can swallow a Champion rank. The idea is to keep the "growth" theme.
hp won't be enough to make pets viable.. hopefully they do more than that...
[quote="52703521426"]
We're looking into ways to improve witch doctor pet survivability at later levels, but we don't have any clear plans to share just yet. One thing we're considering, though, is having pets scale with your Vitality (which they currently do not do).

Well, this happened in Diablo2 Skeletons with Necromancer.. probably are going to happen with my Monk Ally... so I wonder.. if this is a very common issue that happened in Diablo 2 about 12 years ago, what are the balancing issues that were considered to fix that until now?
I felt that way too, but I can't pinpoint exactly what it is that doesn't feel right.
Dev,

Please also look into WD's mana cost/return ratio too. I still don't see why WD needs to spend mana on their Primary attacks (I can understand Frog).

Yes, it is true that WD has several runes that can get some mana back but the return amount is really quite low.

WD's Direbats cost 122 mana and if you use Spined Dart 24 mana, you only get about 20% cost back. Demon Hunter's primary (doesn't cost anything!!) can gain 6 Hatred back and Elemental Arrow only costs 10 Hatred. You can gain 60% cost back.

Yes, we can try to rune several mana-return but that also means we are losing out on other cool rune variations. I would like it more if mana-return runes is a mix of other effects. For example, your Numbing Dart gain 20 mana + Snare.

Please re-visit Witch Doctor's mana cost and return ratio and also the item mods that give +mana regeneration. Those mods seem quite low.
what I want out of pets is that they have more health and the ability to grab more agro. idc about the rest. As soon as I start attacking, monsters ingore the crap out of pets and followers.

I plan to eventually make a thorndoctor and the loyalty passive loses much of its use if the minions die from non-melee attacks that they just so happen to be standing on, or are in the way of.
06/01/2012 10:24 AMPosted by Lylirra
I think you'd have less hating on the WD, in general, if our zombie dogs and gargantuan didn't require fairly specific and fairly rigid gearing requirements to be viable.

While the intent is for witch doctors to re-summon Zombie Dogs and Gargantuan fairly often, we agree that pets aren't living long enough in higher difficulty levels. Of course, the harder difficulties are supposed to be more challenging, but we don't think it's fun gameplay to cast Zombie Dogs, watch them die almost instantly, wait for the cooldown to reset, re-cast Zombie Dogs, watch them die almost instantly...etc. And this is happening even when players are wearing pretty reasonable gear.

We're looking into ways to improve witch doctor pet survivability at later levels, but we don't have any clear plans to share just yet. One thing we're considering, though, is having pets scale with your Vitality (which they currently do not do).

Correct me if im wrong, but shouldnt such a glaring weakness have been noticed in the decade it took you guys to make this game? Did you not have a high level pet using WD on your "Strike teams"??

For that matter... maybe you should have opened the entire game to your Closed Beta Testers... and we could have assisted you in saving this dissapointing (at best) addition to such an amazing Franchise...
While you're at it make fierce loyalty baseline and replace it with a better pet passive (or perhaps throw it into jungle fort). It's ridiculous that you should have to waste a valuable passive slot just to try to make your pets scale (and only with a couple of extra stats) when you're already wasting several other slots on them.

Also, give them 50% or higher baseline extra AoE damage reduction. The stupid things just sit there in AoE pools and die before you can move far enough away to get them to port out.

Maybe give zombie dogs the ability to eat corpses to buff themselves in some way as well, like wolves did in D2.
I personally love the Witch Doctor. Mines currently in Hell atm, (act 1) and I really enjoyed summoning. Just a shame to see the pets drop off so much already. Although itemization I have kept them more or less still viable. I may not be a powerhouse with DH DPS, but the sheer awesomeness, tribal outfits, and great spells keep me playing. (Have a 60 barb as well).

That being said, it is a shame that the WD spells aren't as viable endgame inferno. I'm not asking for a 1shot I win button. But the ability to enjoy all the tools I have been given, without being pigeonholed into a niche build with tons of control.
i feel as though the WD makes a great SUPPORT person, when playing in a group, but playing solo it justs feels.....weird, different, underpowered, something
oh yeah i am excited about the pet changes. because right now the wd just does not feel like an alternative to the necromant from d2. and i loved my skeleton army Q.Q

but please blizzard dont let them stack with vitality...
Real excited about character balance in general. It is obvious that the game needs some work. Do we have an ETA?
It's probably because I'm in a lower level (30 nightmare) but at the moment I don't have to do much at all. My Garg and dogs and templar do enough damage to keep me just having to do some direct damage with darts. I don't know what I did with my gear but my pets carried me through normal and into nightmare with ease.
but we don't think it's fun gameplay to cast Zombie Dogs, watch them die almost instantly, wait for the cool down to reset, re-cast Zombie Dogs, watch them die almost instantly...etc.

Yay finally we get someone official to agree this is not a fun mechanic... I don't even use the Dogs or the Gargantuan Due to how weak they are... Love that your team is working on making them more useable! Would be great to have some useful minions :D

Iv got my WD up in Act1 Inferno and im pritty much stuck even with my alright Gear... Though the great gear seems to be so illusive for drops, and the AH always makes you feel like your missing some way to make cash... But in the end I enjoyed my WD. It was tough getting though Hell but it was worth it... The challenge and the reward of being able to farm the Hell Pony Lvl and the Inferno act1! The coin is great, not making millions in a day but its better then anything else iv found on him.

Though I kinda agree he is a bit out of place, I think he is a good addition, but not a replacement to the Necro! The Necro Will always be missed, but WD sure is fun... pritty useless at the end game without gear's though, however with a decent build and a few friends at-least Hell is a fun challenge, But inferno... lol well WD sure feels like he can poke things but never kill them before they heal up to full again. In all I think the Tweaks that your currently doing could make the WD more Defined and useable! But Fan's Don't count the WD out yet... he may not feel like hes a good fit but you have to admit not all hero types look the part and I for one like having a character that looks kinda Mean and Evilish.