Does anyone ever getgood gear for THEMSELVES?

General Discussion
This is the aspect of ARPGs that is missing. There is always something better on the AH for dirt cheap. You do no work yourself, never have any "Oh nice drop can't wait to equip that" moment. Maybe once in a blue moon but again there is always something better on the AH.

Your'e never improving yourself, always relying on other players.
I find barbarian gear all the time, it just always has intelligence on it. Most often on Mighty Weapons
An auction house has no place in a game like this.
So would you rather go back to D2 and try to find somebody to trade with you instead of having a simple AH method where gold actually has value in this game?
05/31/2012 01:47 PMPosted by StarStorm
So would you rather go back to D2 and try to find somebody to trade with you instead of having a simple AH method where gold actually has value in this game?

Yes actually
just don't use the AH! oops, if you don't use the ah. you will need to grind 10000 hours before you find something good, because blizzard nerfs drops if theres lots of stuff on ah!
I never use AH, and I find my own gear, it's much awarding

I have no solution. Just pointing out that feeling which is missing from the game. When was the last time you looted something and equipped it right away?

YES
I can agree that there's a very satisfying moment that occurs when you find your own upgrade. It's something I'd love to see a little more of. However, I do like the AH aspect of the game. I know not everyone does - but this game would be boring to me without it. I love finding great sales and posting great sales - that satisfies me too. So I guess what I am saying is there is a balance. I'd like to see a few more upgrades, but I'm not very upset about it currently.
A private fear I have--and now I'll share it with you--is that Activision may have coerced Blizzard into directing the game toward that end. Since there are only five classes, and TWO of them rely on Intelligence (Wizard, Witch Doctor), I should be receiving intelligence items on 1/5 of the drops (20%).

I don't.

I'm still unsure. I can't say anything one way...or the other. But what if the game has been directing me to use the Auction House by disallowing wizard drops and compelling me to trade off the barb/demon hunter/monk junk I've been getting?

15% cut for Blizzard each trade. (I.e., it's in Blizzard's financial interest to generate drops that are NOT useful for the player, requiring use of the AH.)

The fact that it's not transparent is worrisome. We simply don't know that they're NOT doing this.

My $0.02.
I've been luck. I play a monk, and I've had a *good* ivory tower, 17% string of ears, and many other pieces of servicable gear drop. Even had some lucky stat rolls with crafted gear.
it was always extremely rare to find something in diablo 2 that you wanted to use. this way, atleast there is an AH instead of looking for trading games or using d2jsp. working as intended.

Yes, definitely.
I got myself a good wand this morning. I also have found many good rings.

Either way, it doesn't matter. If there were no AH people would still be buying/selling things, except that they would be doing it on a third-party website.
A

05/31/2012 01:51 PMPosted by Tundera
it was always extremely rare to find something in diablo 2 that you wanted to use. this way, atleast there is an AH instead of looking for trading games or using d2jsp. working as intended.

Is that so? Im not sure I never played, but I know from my experience with a multitude of other ARPGs that finding your own gear gives you a good feeling. I think blizzard thought that enough "Loot explosions" was what gives that feeling, but they were obviously wrong.
Are you people retarded? Im sorry but this has been stated over and over. In this game the chances of you finding something good for your class and build are very slim. Trading has always been the goto way for getting gear. The AH only helps expidite that process. No more spamming trade chat or hoping you find that one guy to trade.

This is why offline mode would be boring. Learn the game people.