Block % is overrated

Barbarian
05/31/2012 10:03 AMPosted by Ironfisto
blocks from shields are good only when you have a strong dmg mitigation. If you are already getting 2 shotted with 40k life, blocks doesn't help you one bit.

Yes but if you're getting hit for 20k, dropping block gear and picking up a bit more Vit/Res/Armor will not make a large enough difference to prevent that. Also, there really aren't many thing that hit a geared barb for 20k that can't be avoided. Champion ponies in a 4 player game hit me for like 12k and are among the hardest normal hits in the game.

If something hits me for 20k, my 46% chance to block 3250 damage is an overall reduction of 7.5%, there is no other stat I can get by replacing SS/JL/HoC that will make that large of an impact for me.
All defensive stats synergize with each other. Any one stat without the others is pointless. That isn't even an argument. That being said block% is probably one of the strongest EHP increase per stat point available. Try a 13% block shield and a 27% and notice the difference. Spoiler: It's a big difference.
05/31/2012 11:19 AMPosted by Azreth
All defensive stats synergize with each other. Any one stat without the others is pointless. That isn't even an argument. That being said block% is probably one of the strongest EHP increase per stat point available. Try a 13% block shield and a 27% and notice the difference. Spoiler: It's a big difference.

A big difference on what? It's not a big difference on elites in a4 I'll tell you that much. Also, that block % difference would mean a 3k difference in the dmg you take (out of how much life? 60k for most a4'ers? Would you even notice that tick on your globe?) once in ten hits you take.
05/31/2012 12:51 PMPosted by Blade

A big difference on what? It's not a big difference on elites in a4 I'll tell you that much. Also, that block % difference would mean a 3k difference in the dmg you take (out of how much life? 60k for most a4'ers? Would you even notice that tick on your globe?) once in ten hits you take.

its only a big difference if your armor and AR stats are high.
Block % is huge... but you need good other stats first to see how important it really is.