Monk Passives

Hardcore
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#!ZUT

Any arguments against these passives for HC survival?
Seize the Initiative is a great passive since your Dex will be high.

One with Everything and Near Death Experience aren't unlocked until later, so Resolve-Seize the Initiative-Transcendence would be good for the lower levels.

One with Everything and Near Death Experience aren't unlocked until later, so Resolve-Seize the Initiative-Transcendence would be good for the lower levels.

i don't mean to be offensive what kind of stupid assumption is it that im not 60 already...I am 60...

I believe he is talking about the passive that increases your armor by the ammount of dex.

And yes, I agree, I played a little bit with both, the one that increases your resists and the one that increases the armor, and I prefer the armor bonus.

Also one, that heals you for using your spirit is very nice, gives you a decent healing every time you use an ability.

did you just say that seize the initiative is better than one with everything? ....ok im done here

i don't mean to be offensive what kind of stupid assumption is it that im not 60 already...I am 60...

I believe he is talking about the passive that increases your armor by the ammount of dex.

And yes, I agree, I played a little bit with both, the one that increases your resists and the one that increases the armor, and I prefer the armor bonus.

Also one, that heals you for using your spirit is very nice, gives you a decent healing every time you use an ability.

did you just say that seize the initiative is better than one with everything? ....ok im done here

You seem to be a douche. But not monks without the right gear will benefit less from One With Everything. So about 99% of monks (not lvl 60 yet) won't be using One With Everything until they get the right gear to do so. Stop being a @@@% because people are giving their input based on their experiences.
If you already know better than everyone else why ask at all? Just to argue?

Lol
I have been using seize the initiative and one with everything as early as I possibly could all the way up... I am now in inferno and cannot forsee myself getting rid of them, they are just too powerful.

The 3rd one is up in the air, I personally have not used Near Death Experience though I have considered it. I am currently using Transcendence as my 3rd.

I have this belief that if something is going to kill me then its already doing damage too fast for Near Death to make an actual difference. That probably isn't true all of the time but I would rather have consistent spirit dump healing vs a random 2nd chance that may well turn out to be a complete waste.
You seem to be a douche. But not monks without the right gear will benefit less from One With Everything. So about 99% of monks (not lvl 60 yet) won't be using One With Everything until they get the right gear to do so. Stop being a @@@% because people are giving their input based on their experiences.

So basically instead of asking me at the least what level I am and my gear they just assume random crap and give me false info, sounds more douchey to me !@#$%^-

Lol

No i wanted some input rather than "i don't like that its not perty enough you should this its so perty"

I have been using seize the initiative and one with everything as early as I possibly could all the way up... I am now in inferno and cannot forsee myself getting rid of them, they are just too powerful.

The 3rd one is up in the air, I personally have not used Near Death Experience though I have considered it. I am currently using Transcendence as my 3rd.

I have this belief that if something is going to kill me then its already doing damage too fast for Near Death to make an actual difference. That probably isn't true all of the time but I would rather have consistent spirit dump healing vs a random 2nd chance that may well turn out to be a complete waste.

I don't understand why you wouldnt use resolve as well though? isnt the damage reduce a lot more effetive than whatever %armor you are getting from seize? and yea I used to use transc but based on my build i dont get use enough spirit to justify it. I agree with your last point that is something I have considered but I know that sooner or later now matter how good I am or whatever I do I will sooner or later be hit with something unexpected or hell even lag, so I might as well give myself a chance to escape
Agree with Ender mostly.

Seize the initative is the only MUST have for me. It makes our Dex (which we are already stacking, so strong). It adds 26% damage reduction for me.

One with everything is amazing, but you might be able to get away without it if you get enough resist all. Right now it's giving me 20% extra damage reduction (stacking cold resist).

I really like guardian's path because that is straight up 15% more damage reduction.

Near death experience is AWESOME if you run tempest rush because if you ever get screwed, it gives you 35% hp AND spirit so you can zip out of there. It's REALLY REALLY good for hardcore. However, I have the same sentiments as Ender -- I've never died so so far this would have done nothing! =p This passive especially vexes me. =)

Transcendence is amazing, but it's capped. Once you hit 60 it will never 'realisitically' improve. Infact, it will likely just get worse as your hp pool gets larger and the enemies hit harder. It's great, but I think already at my level it's not the best option.

Resolve is really good, but the thing I never liked about it is if you are running for your life it might be doing nothing, and on hardcore, that's when the choice of passives really count. So I've been avoiding it for now.

The only 4 I'm really considering is: seize the initiative (for sure), one with everything, the guardian's path, and near death experience.

Right now I'm not running near death, but ideally I will replace either OWE or TGP with near death.
How do you guys play a monk without Chant of Resonance? I'm addicted to it.
Agree with Ender mostly.

Seize the initative is the only MUST have for me. It makes our Dex (which we are already stacking, so strong). It adds 26% damage reduction for me.

One with everything is amazing, but you might be able to get away without it if you get enough resist all. Right now it's giving me 20% extra damage reduction (stacking cold resist).

I really like guardian's path because that is straight up 15% more damage reduction.

Near death experience is AWESOME if you run tempest rush because if you ever get screwed, it gives you 35% hp AND spirit so you can zip out of there. It's REALLY REALLY good for hardcore. However, I have the same sentiments as Ender -- I've never died so so far this would have done nothing! =p This passive especially vexes me. =)

Transcendence is amazing, but it's capped. Once you hit 60 it will never 'realisitically' improve. Infact, it will likely just get worse as your hp pool gets larger and the enemies hit harder. It's great, but I think already at my level it's not the best option.

Resolve is really good, but the thing I never liked about it is if you are running for your life it might be doing nothing, and on hardcore, that's when the choice of passives really count. So I've been avoiding it for now.

The only 4 I'm really considering is: seize the initiative (for sure), one with everything, the guardian's path, and near death experience.

Right now I'm not running near death, but ideally I will replace either OWE or TGP with near death.

Very good points, though heres the thing I don't stack dex at all I stack almost entirely vit since that's far more important, it increases my dmg reduction by like 10%, I agree tho when I get to your point I might consider switching since -25% all the time is better than -25% when i hit them. Ideally I will be switching out one with everything for seize/resolve and have them both.

Currently I run dashing strike, I find it far more mobile but the only thing that vexes me is that one day maybe I won't have anything to run to :(

Guardian path i think is very very very very bad choiice because why would you ever not use a shield on hardcore, i haven't heard of anybody doing that, but yeah in the end good points i will switch from resolve to seize when i get enough dex
06/01/2012 10:24 AMPosted by TheMediator

that's probably the most useless monk passive there is...no offense, especially since you should be recasting your mantra for the added effect when you need it
06/01/2012 10:44 AMPosted by Decebal

that's probably the most useless monk passive there is...no offense, especially since you should be recasting your mantra for the added effect when you need it

Played through act 1 inferno on softcore and am up to act 3 nightmare on my hardcore monk. It has always seemed extremely useful to me. 2 spirit per second = yes. I don't understand why you would even bother with transcendence if you didn't have chant of resonance.
06/01/2012 10:24 AMPosted by TheMediator

+1
word of advice to the OP, more detail your provide the better to avoid a flamefest of a thread.

Post your level, what content you are in, your HP, dps, and resists next time instead of calling people d-bags.

Lol

Took the words right out my mouth.
06/01/2012 08:12 AMPosted by Decebal

Should have said that in the OP. Vague posts lead to broad replies... What kind of stupid assumption is it that people will assume you are level 60 when you didn't mention anything in the OP except a link to 3 passives... :fail:

Based on the OP, you could be planning for the future or planning for now. My post covered low levels as well since I didn't know anything about your character...
06/01/2012 10:47 AMPosted by TheMediator
Played through act 1 inferno on softcore and am up to act 3 nightmare on my hardcore monk. It has always seemed extremely useful to me. 2 spirit per second = yes. I don't understand why you would even bother with transcendence if you didn't have chant of resonance.

there is plenty of gear with far more than 2 spirit per second, useless passive imo and i dont use transcendence, i dont regen spirit fast enough nor do i use it fast enough

word of advice to the OP, more detail your provide the better to avoid a flamefest of a thread.

Post your level, what content you are in, your HP, dps, and resists next time instead of calling people d-bags.

Yea i should have done that my bad, every time i do tho i just get flamed with TLDR so its a lose - lose

Should have said that in the OP. Vague posts lead to broad replies... What kind of stupid assumption is it that people will assume you are level 60 when you didn't mention anything in the OP except a link to 3 passives... :fail:

Based on the OP, you could be planning for the future or planning for now. My post covered low levels as well since I didn't know anything about your character...

no i had no need because if i say Hey these are my passives what do you think, telling me YOUR NOT HIGH LEVEL ENOUGH TO USE THOSE is probably the dumbest assumption a human being could make, why else would i list a 58 passive, because im lvl 12? great logic...
Yep. Going to have to agree w/ everyone that the OP is just being difficult and silly.

Ultimately, however, the OP fails in presenting this thread because of two things:
1) No stated playstyle and possible partners
2) No stated active abilities

Never mind the fact that he provides unhelpful criticism in his own thread.

As for actually replying to the topic for any other prospective HC Monks, I find that this set is excellent for overall survival:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#!YXU

Transcendence, as a lot of other people point out, is an excellent way to dump excess Spirit for health. Increases the longevity of your tanking capabilities, but ultimately useless if you get caught by something you shouldn't have (i.e. Desecrator, Arcane, Plague). Transcendence is basically a gear check. If you don't have enough spi regen to use it effectively, you're probably not in melee enough. If you're not in melee enough, you're probably running too much. If you're running too much, you're undergeared.

One With Everything is good when you're starting out through Hell and manage to find matching Resist gear. It sloughs off at around 400 resist, however, until you start finding Resist All + matching Resist gear. Getting up to 1000 resist becomes a lot easier and makes the passive the best possible passive available for us. I'll agree with the OP that this is an auto-lock.

Seize the Initiative is also an important passive to have as it can attribute about 15-20% of your overall armor and thus increasing your damage mitigation. I know you're not stacking Dex right now, but that makes me wonder what kind of level 60 you are. In Hell and Inferno difficulties, champ packs have Enrage Timers and since Monks lack many offensive options, Dex is your best friend. Seize the Initiative makes being friends that much easier.

Anyhoo, I wanted to address some of the other passives that have been suggested in the thread starting with the OP's Resolve and Near Death Experience.

NDE is a great idea on paper, especially for Hardcore, since it sounds like a get-out-jail-free card. And it is. It's a great answer to very unexpected occurrences, like an errant Mortar shot or if you were just a bit too slow to hit Serenity on a kill blow. Ideally, however, you want to know the kind of damage that is coming your way and MITIGATE it. For a lot of experienced HC Monks, death won't come to the hands of the unexpected, but rather, the unavoidable--like being knockbacked against a wall and then having the champs surround you so that escape is impossible. NDE won't save you in a situation like that.

That pretty much covers it for Resolve. If you're running, you're not hitting. If you're not hitting, Resolve is useless... HOWEVER! LTK:Hand of Ytar and WoL:Empowered Wave are nice ways to use Resolve for teammates who are about to take damage.

Chant of Resonance. Yes, treating the mantra as an on-going aura is dumb. But the 2Spi/second is amazing. ESPECIALLY when passive spirit generation is next to non-existent. ESPECIALLY when you're running away and need just a bit spirit to cast that Breath of Light/Serenity to buy you a couple seconds until you pot and jump back into the fray. And ESPECIALLY when you're forced to build as a kite/tank monk in Inferno and have a Wiz and DH as your primary sources of dps.

In SC Inferno, I wanted to try experiment and found that using Chant of Resonance+Resolve and WoL:Empowered Wave could keep mobs from hitting my teammates and, if they did, they did so for 25% less for 2 seconds. So, while small and niche, both have their place.

In the end, it really depends on how you play and who you're playing with. That will change the active abilities and thus the passives. I find that I can't play HC A3 Hell without a Demon Hunter at my back and spec appropriately so.
In addition to resolve not working while kiting and on spread out packs, I've heard it doesn't work on ground effects and arcane sentries. When removing it from my build I couldn't tell a difference.