diablo III + case-sensitive root volume

Mac Technical Support
Okay, I realize this is 'unsupported', but at this point the game isn't playable on my system.

My question is this. Is/Are there any plans of actually supporting a sane filesystem or am I just SOL?
+1

There actually is a way of installing Diablo 3 on a separate case-insensitive volume (not an Image) if you're using a case-sensitive root, by replacing the installer's SetupOSX.mpq file (see: http://patchup.info/Blizz/tools/Mac/), but the game still can't be installed on a Mac with only a case-sensitive volume.

This is really embarrassing since a case-sensitive root volume is a valid system configuration for OS X and is, in fact, mandatory if you are an application developer and want to support other people having case-sensitive file systems (since you basically get support for case-insensitive volumes FOR FREE if you develop on case-sensitive ones).
Although I agree with you on case sensitivity, the default is for non case sensitivity when formatting. And it really bugs me when case is not followed.

But, you should be able to workaround.

Either move the files to a non case sensitive disk, or create a disk image that is not case sensitive, and move the files there. If the game is looking for those files in a specific location relative to the root, symlink them back.
It should work on case-sensitive volumes, end of story. Anything else is lazy programming.

That said, I have a regular non-case-sensitive IMAGE, which I've copied the installer to. It still refuses to work because my root image is case-sensitive.

Please address this, Blizzard.
Has anyone tried installing to a non-case sensitive volume, then copying the installed files to a case-sensitive volume?

I just added a non-case sensitive volume so that I could install, but I don't want to keep it around.
Okay, I realize this is 'unsupported', but at this point the game isn't playable on my system.

My question is this. Is/Are there any plans of actually supporting a sane filesystem or am I just SOL?

This is something we're reviewing. Thanks for the feedback and I'll send this up to the team.

Has anyone tried installing to a non-case sensitive volume, then copying the installed files to a case-sensitive volume?

I just added a non-case sensitive volume so that I could install, but I don't want to keep it around.

Even if the is non-case-sensitive, it won't install if the main volume (Macintosh HD) is case-sensitive. Game data is installed in the Users/Shared folder of the main HD, and will produce an error as well.

Even if the is non-case-sensitive, it won't install if the main volume (Macintosh HD) is case-sensitive. Game data is installed in the Users/Shared folder of the main HD, and will produce an error as well.

What happens if you make /Users/Shared a symlink to /Volumes/ImageName/Shared? Would it work then?

Also, why are you storing anything in /Users/Shared? Isn't the proper place for stuff like that /Library/Application Support?
07/15/2012 11:27 AMPosted by kalisti
What happens if you make /Users/Shared a symlink to /Volumes/ImageName/Shared? Would it work then?

It may, but this is not something we support.

Don't know the answer for sure, but some game data does need to be accessible for all clients, like the Battle.net caches, and the Battle.net folder itself, which may be why it's in the shared directory and not in the user library.

Don't know the answer for sure, but some game data does need to be accessible for all clients, like the Battle.net caches, and the Battle.net folder itself, which may be why it's in the shared directory and not in the user library.

There's multiple Library folders in Mac OS X. There's a per-user Library in /Users/name/Library. But there's also a shared library in /Library. Stuff placed in /Library is available to all users/clients.
True. I'll send this feedback to the appropriate team, however the the Mac team (dev) here works soley on the client. They are not able to make such changes, as another team handles the files location perspective.
Just ran into this myself. I'd installed D3 on a separate hard drive that was not formatted case-sensitive and later reformatted my main hard drive (for other reasons) and chose case-sensitive. I had only played the D3 demo and was planning to buy the full version, but looks like I'll have to scrap that plan.

I agree with the other commenters: it's lazy programming to rely on case-insensitivity. However, I realize that the people working on it now are likely not the ones who made that decision and they have to deal with cleaning up legacy code. That's not a fun job, but it is important. Hopefully the next big game from Blizzard addresses this issue.
I'd also like to add my vote in favor of supporting case-sensitive volumes. I can no longer play the game, which I think is a shame.
+1

I'm an application developer and I have a case-sensitive root volume.

Now, I have to boot into Windows each time I want to play the game.
yes please correct this issue, i can't play on my macbook pro because of this issue either. this seems silly. people paid money to buy the game, since when is case insensitivity a requirement for any game? i can understand if your CPU is a 486 and it doesn't work, but this is ridiculous. the prime evil himself is fuming.
Symlinking usually works, e.g. creating a symlink for USERS and users, both pointing to a case insensitive volume. It has worked with Pandaria, Heart of the Swarm and D3.

BUT! It is a huge hassle to manage to install the game this way, sometimes having to remove symlinks, sometimes add new ones.

At the moment I can't install the new Battle Net client. At the release of the original D3 I had to download a modified installer from a third party, and Pandaria & Star Craft installs were not trivial either because of issues that should not exist.

Not really a reason for me to buy games at launch anymore, better to wait a year for the critical bugs to iron out :-/