Tal Rasha Findings - Updated 6/25 Stormcrow

Wizard
1 2 3 6 Next
After extensive spreadsheeting and toying with 4 pieces of Tal Rasha gear, I have some findings to share.

Finding 1
Regular attacks (even elemental weapons -tested with fire wand and non elemental mace) add all elemental damage from the set bonuses and amulet (anything that "Adds x% to [elemental] Damage")

Non-elemental spells (spectral blades) also adds all elemental damages given by gear.

UPDATE! Cold blooded + conflagration work at the same time boosting DPS by a whopping 30% for both spectral blades and regular attacks. I also tested with Temporal Flux and it works. I saw both the slow from cold damage (bluish tint / "chilled" text) and Temporal Flux debuff aura at the same.

Screenshot showing cold damage + fire damage + temporal flux : http://i.imgur.com/L898A.jpg

Finding 2
The "Adds x% to [elemental] Damage" affects overall DPS, not just that specific elemental damage.

UPDATED CALCULATIONS!
Added % damage adds that % damage to ALL attacks. Matching elemental, non-matching elemental, or non-elemental! My damage calculation tests were conducted using ONLY Tal Rasha amulet (6% arcane as pictured), I did not use other Tal Rasha gear for this portion. Tests were performed in Act 1 on zombies and quill beasts in New Tristram Road. Tal Rasha amulet gives 6% arcane with 138 int. The placeholder amulet gives 140 int with no other damage stats. I only recorded critical hits. Between 50 and 60 crits were recorded for each of these tests, I know this can be statistically unsound... however the consistency of the results only points in one direction.

Amulets: http://imgur.com/a/9M8VB#0

Test 1: Arcane Orb
With Tal Rasha, I averaged 45715.51 damage.
With placeholder amulet, I averaged 42216.49 damage.
This is a damage increase of 8.29% for Tal Rasha.

Histogram : http://imgur.com/a/9M8VB#1

Test 2: Electrocute - Lightning Blast
With Tal Rasha, I averaged 15355.35 damage.
With placeholder amulet, I averaged 14134.67 damage.
This is a damage increase of 8.49% for Tal Rasha.

Histogram : http://imgur.com/a/9M8VB#2

UPDATE 6/25 - Test 3
A 5% storm crow increased damage of arcane orbs by approximately 6.31%
Gear:
146 int headpiece with some crit and no other damage stats.
87 int storm crow with 5% lightning damage
So, as you can see, even with a 59 int decrease, the Storm Crow still out-damaged the higher int head piece. Sample size in this data set was only about 30-40 orbs instead of the previous tests' 50+

Conclusions: I'm not quite sure why I attained a value greater than the listed 6% on the amulet, it may just be statistical error as I only recorded 50 to 60 crits per spell per amulet. However, the fact remains that damage did in fact increase by at least 6% for both an arcane spell and lightning spell using a " Adds 6% damage to Arcane Damage" amulet. This amulet should instead read "Adds 6% damage to attacks", and likewise for the set bonuses. In addition to a "Adds arcane damage to non-elemental skills and weapon attacks"

Side Note: For those of you that read the original post, you know that previously I had stated character sheet DPS increases by less than the stated amount on the amulet. However, this seems to only be a UI bug in a similar fashion that magic weapon used to show incorrect DPS.

Recently asked question was to whether or not the set bonus would add damage and elemental damage to other class (Demon Hunter) attacks. The answer is yes.

tl;dr Tal Rasha set bonus increases all DPS, not just elemental DPS.
Sleepy time bump.
I have all Tal Rasha set, but feels its underpower. Maybe I can guide u on the stats. add me ingame

krazl#1699 americas

p/s: I will online somewhere around this time - http://everytimezone.com/#2012-6-12,-30,6be but server will go maintenance today
Well, I'm just missing the Tal Rasha source, I have the rest of the gear as listed. Source runs pretty cheap so I'll probably pick that up sometime soon anyway.

And I actually enjoy using this set. With amulet, belt, chest, head I run 40k DPS, 26k HP, and ~600-800 all res depending on the rings I use. This added to a melee build in group play does wonders. Every hit slows, burns, and has a chance to stun (lightning damage).

Build:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#WYXkOS!Weg!aZaZcZ
Swap out Cold-blooded for blur if needed.

Conflag + cold-blooded adds 30% self damage for spectral blades (10% meteor), and 10% for the entire group.

Add in a life on hit weapon and you can tank quite a bit.

Sure this build works with "better" pieces of gear, but using Tal Rasha lets you add all the elemental damage without gimping resists or damage too much (thanks to the ~3.3% overall damage increase due to set bonuses)
Very interesting! Thanks for the post Epicol!
Thanks for doing the math, I grabbed the chest / amulet last night and was curious about the bonuses. Also, thanks for the tip on the Conflag passive working with the first set bonus, I used that on a run and noticed a boost... or at least what felt like one :D.
I want to believe it is true, but would love some confirmation. If I am a demon hunter using 2 pieces of the set and my crossbow is fire dmg do I recieve that 3% bonus?
06/17/2012 01:48 PMPosted by Spreggin
I want to believe it is true, but would love some confirmation. If I am a demon hunter using 2 pieces of the set and my crossbow is fire dmg do I recieve that 3% bonus?

Good question!

I will try this tomorrow as soon as servers go live again. However, I will be doing it as a monk with a fire damage weapon instead as I do not have a demon hunter leveled.

Just one thing to clarify, I am still not sure if the full 3% is added (extremely hard to test this) for fire attacks or the special 1.00659% number I calculated from character sheet DPS discrepancy will take effect.

I'll update this as soon as I've tested it!
wait so it doesn't matter what element the amulet has on since it will be adding that damage to all your attacks anyway?
cool. what about the mf% of the set? is it great as well?
wait so it doesn't matter what element the amulet has on since it will be adding that damage to all your attacks anyway?

wondering this as well
does it give extra bonuses to the specific type? or the same amount?
i understand that all my spells benefit from 6%arcane damage, but is arcane orb affected by the same 1.332% to overall?
06/19/2012 04:24 AMPosted by Blackbolt

Correct. It is adding unaccounted for damage to character sheet dps. In the field it may or may not act differently. I will be testing this today.

06/19/2012 04:27 AMPosted by nvr2b2fckwit
cool. what about the mf% of the set? is it great as well?

MF is always nice :D

06/19/2012 04:56 PMPosted by Garuda

wondering this as well
i understand that all my spells benefit from 6%arcane damage, but is arcane orb affected by the same 1.332% to overall?

It is *incredibly* hard to test this stuff on monsters due to the massive damage range that weapons have. All of my finding are based off of character sheet DPS ("Damage" under "Armor") and excel sheets that calculate what DPS should be.

I think I am going to find a low spread weapon and try to minimize it with +min damage rings to further test this.

There are 2 outcomes I foresee:
1) All damage is, in fact, increased.
2) The character sheet DPS discrepancy is simply a graphical error much like Magic Weapon was pre-1.0.3
06/19/2012 04:56 PMPosted by Garuda

wondering this as well

Tested and confirmed to add full 6% damage to ANY and all attacks.
Trash? Hardly. It sure as hell isn't going to cap out your DPS. But it's also very affordable and fun to play in, especially in group. I went through a1 to a4 in this set pre-1.0.3
@epicol thank you for doing this it is greatly appreciated!

also is there any bonus benefit from using Shock Pulse with an %6 Lightning Damage amulet other than an average of 8% increase damage?

could you speculate whether an +Cold Damage % amulet would proc an extra slow when a follower attacks with an Cold Damage weapon? Haha.

Appreciated!
@epicol thank you for doing this it is greatly appreciated!

also is there any bonus benefit from using Shock Pulse with an %6 Lightning Damage amulet other than an average of 8% increase damage?

could you speculate whether an +Cold Damage % amulet would proc an extra slow when a follower attacks with an Cold Damage weapon? Haha.

Appreciated!

To the first question: none that I am aware of. Shock pulse damage will be increased just as any other spell damage would be increased, as shown by the 2 tests there was negligible difference in damage increase between matching and non-matching elemental types.

To the second question... cold damage is cold damage. I don't see why it would proc 2 cold damage "chills".
06/20/2012 07:59 PMPosted by VagrantWade
I sold my entire set. It's so trash it's ridiculous. The chest isn't even good now with the IAS nerf.

Lol try to justify that move,

I use chest with 70int, 6%ias and neck with 6% dmg and 147int and 29% mf. combine they add as much damage as 520int would add from both pieces and its 45% mf. 59all resistance and high armor.

The chest for me = 185 int, 59 all resistance, 16% mf and 200+ additional armor
The neck for me = 275 int, 147 vit, 29% mf

60 more int from the 2p 3%

total cost, 3 mil. yeah not garbage.

Helm and belt are ok and OH is garbage. But I think people need to know exactly what tal rasha's does and how good it is for a MF set that doesnt kill your dps.
Epicol friend me, I want to talk through some things with you that I was struggling to understand with the set from swapping different weapons.

Fulleffect#1282
Epicol, thank you for testing this. This is great information that I'm certain was obnoxious to extract from game data.

The wording on these items (adds 6% to arcane damage) is confusing and makes it sound like it only applies to arcane damage. I'm wondering if a universal bonus was intended by the developers or if this is a bug, especially considering the discrepancy on the character dps sheet.

I'm also curious to find out if this bonus applies to all items that have this wording, like the storm crow and zunimassa's journey.