FAILED to read a required file

Technical Support
Brosky,

Do you have any idea how bad the advice is to have anyone remove anti-virus software while connected to the internet? No knowledgeable person would take such action, and those who are not put their machines at grave risk.

FYI - the game worked fine with Norton Security Suite for several weeks. This patch is broken, and I question why I bothered to try to launch D3 after weeks of not doing so.

Oh, well. Back to D2...

p.s. - Have you guys considered hiring the D2 design team to fix this mess?
I tried "end process" on the Agent.exe but it keeps going back and not going to the game any advice?
I have finally managed to get this game working for those of you that have the D3 dvd and the installer closes down on 69% just find the shortcut on the desktop click it and leave it but you may wanna disable your AV the game will get the files online :) . A big Thank You to Constasio for helping me
I had this problem. It's because for some reason the downloader is still running in the background. Open task manager, go to the processes tab, find all instances of "Agent.exe", select them and then click "End Process". Restart D3 and you are good to go.

It's not your antivirus, it's the diablo 3 downloader/launcher.

thank you very much
I had this issue as well. The update file was locked by the Battle.net agent. It seems like the agent (Agent.exe) hung and killing it released the file.

Diablo III was then able to read said file and play the game correctly.

Worked for me, thank you for the tip!

AV had nothing to do with this.
I have no antivirus, no firewall, and its still doing this. I had this problem before and tried deleted some folder and it miraculously worked again. anyone know what I did there?
i did this and it works everytime
programdata -> battle.net -> agent delete agent folder.
I had this issue as well. The update file was locked by the Battle.net agent. It seems like the agent (Agent.exe) hung and killing it released the file.

Diablo III was then able to read said file and play the game correctly.

Agent.exe was the problem for me too. Thanks for pointing that out.
This game is starting to get annoying! I don't even have an anti virus installed! Why can't blizzard fix their crap?
can someone please help me? I have the same problem, i tried to look for the agent.exe in the task m, but its not there.. im using mac..
07/16/2012 08:13 AMPosted by Stoicchick
can someone please help me? I have the same problem, i tried to look for the agent.exe in the task m, but its not there.. im using mac..

Hi !

See Mac Technical Forum
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/5386228/
Im having the same issue.. but it only started after the last patch. I'm using Eset Nod32 AV and im getting annoyed with this crap. I cant even reinstall the game. (windows 7 64bit)
Follow the instructions on this page worked for me. Didn't uninstall anything.

http://patchup.info/d3/manual-update/1-0-3b/
FAILED to read a required file. Please close all other applications and temporarily deactivate my anti virus...

Here is what I did to fix this problem (you will probably have to repeat these steps every time you get this error)
start the launcher when it hangs at launching 100% open task manager and cancel Agent.exe while the launcher is still running game should start. Has worked for me 3 times now.

hope this helps more than uninstalling your AV /cough
hello everyone i am facing the same problem please take 5 minutes out of your precious time to read and reply to this ticket that i posted weeks ago.
when i start it up it says failed to read required file... or just freezes at updating tools.i tried re-installing but when i do it works only the first time but when i exit and want to play again it does the same thing . my brother used the same cd to activate a guest pass that i gave him and he recently used a full pass with the game still installed. his game cd remains unscathed( un touched) is that a problem?? what happens exactly is the following: i start up normally and it launches but when it goes to the page with the big play button it says updating tools and then initializing then the backround changes to be full of text and advertisements it simultaneously shows a loading bar at zero percent then a box pops up with the following text: failed to read required file please close all other applications and try again. so i deactivate my antivirus and my fire wall and all other applications running i try again and the same message comes back to haunt me. i tried reinstalling many times and it works the first time but then when i exit and try to play again it freezes at updating tools, so i close it and restart my computer and try again then it does the same as before. i cannot reinstall diablo 3 every time i want to play it. my brothers is fully fuctionable. i tried ending the agent *32 process but even after that the game is still not working. i played diablo 3 for 4 months without complaint but now i need help because i can no longer stand the agony of not being able to play. please help asap please i need your help i have tried every possible solution, but even after my countless tries the game still decides not to work and i must play it.

i have Pc tools spyware doctor antivirus and diablo dosent work when i disable the av
i tried my brothers cd it didnt work
i tried copying his files still didnt work
07/17/2012 02:49 AMPosted by ANONYMOUS
hello everyone i am facing the same problem please take 5 minutes out of your precious time to read and reply to this ticket that i posted weeks ago

read my post JUST above yours has worked every time
This problem is common enough to consider this a fault of the Diablo team, disable antivirus SW is your suggested solution???. Diablo team, get your act together.
I'm gathering this problem happened to people that exited the blizz downloader part way through? just open task manager, click the processes tab and end all the agent.exe processes before reopening the blizz downloader and you'll be sweet.worked for me anyway!

This worked for me as well!!!! Clicked play / frozen at / "launching" or "initalizing"
close the agent.exe and it works!
I'm having the same issue as VexuM!!!!!! i wanna play before i ship to boot camp=] so please help!!! I'm using McAfee security. so what can i do?