Are We The Worst Class?

Witch Doctor
Prev 1 2 3 8 Next
I had just cleared Act 4 Inferno, a day after RMAH was released. How? Through pain and suffering. Take a quick gander at our class:

Pros:
- ZB does sick damage. Stack it with Spirit Vessel, Vision Quest, Spirit Walk with Jaunt and BBV Rain Dance, thats 6 seconds of unlimited bears tearing everything on the map a new one.
- ZB covers you 360 from would be melee that gets too close.
- Poison Dart w Splinters, 3 shots, each can crit on its own, awesome when stacked nicely with Crit Dmg, Crit Hit and IAS. Machine gun down anything in a straight line.
- Good amount of CC choices. Fear, Stun+Confusion, Hex, Snare
- Nice AOE choices. Rain of Frogs, Acid Cloud, Zombie Bears, Locusts (I love how Pestilence spreads on a screen full of mobs)
- Fetish, though on long cooldown, these little buggers make great tanks. They hold agro really well and long enough for me to throw my teddies at Champs or MB (mini bosses)

That's pretty much all I really like about this class. I had a lot more when I first started. The pets was only good up to Hell Act 4.

Cons:
- ZB does almost HALF the damage against Plagued champions and MiniBosses.
- Range is too short unless you're backed against a wall but then if you do that, your sides are vunerable.
- Mana cost is high therefore this is useless without Vision Quest. Even Blood Ritual and Spi Attunement does jack all. If you are using Poison Darts with Pierce the Veil, your mana is hardly even regenerating from Spi Attune.
- Pets... FAILED SCALING. More of Blizzard's BS here. I remember reading about an interview during Beta about Blizzard's feel on the WD and that they are happy with the scaling and where it's at, etc, yada, yada, yada. ..|.. Tell me that again when almost every damn pet aside from Fetishes gets 1 shotted in Inferno. Garg can hold 2 hits, maybe. Even with Zombie Handler and Jungle Fortitude, etc, Zombie Dogs and Gargantuan are TWO USELESS spells in my book. At least in Hell, Garg can still hold Diablo for a few, enough for me to pew pew a little.
- Poison Darts + Grasp of the Dead with Haunt. Zombie Bear AOE spec (The 2-min Doctor). This two are probably the most common specs out there. I used Bears for Act 1 and PD spec for 2, 3 and 4 with Grasp, Wall and Locusts.
- Some of these passives really need to be looked into again. 3% chance to spawn 1 damn Fetish? Really? Well, ok, everyone's got their useless passives, I guess.

The list goes on. So yeah, I cleared killed Diablo Inferno pre-nerf. Woohoo. Now what the hell am I gonna do? 5 stack farm Diablo? Yeah sure! Why not!? Just suffer during farming like how I suffered getting to Diablo in the first place just for a few rares that's most probably gonna have crap stats.

I know a $h|tload of Witch Doctors out there that are struggling just to get past Belial's adds. Hell, some can't even get through Phase 2 Belial. Going into Tower of the Damned... your @$$ is gonna bloom like sakuras in spring from Hulking Phasebeasts' attacks. Oh yeah, don't forget Herald of Pestilences that fingers your behind, ranged mobs and my ALLLLLL time favorite, Soul Lashers and their amazing 6ft tongue!

Despite all this crap above, I still made it. So how do you win with WD? Farm gold, farm items (DUH. The usual..) Gear up to over 50k dps or more and play with a LOT of patience. Be prepared to die a lot. A lot. A lot. A lot. A lot. A lot. A lot. A lot. A lot.

A lot.

Bottomline, yeah, I feel we are a broken class... well maybe not broken... but badly damaged. A crap load of room for improvement. Except maybe for PVP... I got a good feeling on that one. >:D

++i agree
your stats are unbalanced. WD is no a wizard. he is not all about intel. you should have far mor hp and resist.
run zombie bears and stack crit % + crit damage. a slow weapon with zero IAS on gear will be most beneficial, as mana will be consumed less and bears will hit harder. if you can muster 35% crit and 275% crit damage while having above 35k dps, then you will be more than viable in inferno.
personally, i use http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#afUdZX!VXU!acZbab as my build. it is very easy to keep these 4 abilities on cooldown and using spirit walk is a good way to return 30% mana while increasing the space between you and enemies
I was going to post a huge wall of text explaining how dumb people are when it come's to playing a Witch doctor.........

Then I realized..

It's not Worth My Time.
06/19/2012 02:33 AMPosted by Tariyaki
your stats are unbalanced. WD is no a wizard. he is not all about intel. you should have far mor hp and resist.

Spoken like somebody who hasn't set foot into Act II Inferno.

The HP/resist calculation becomes really simple at that point.

1. Can I survive 1-hit from a trash mob? Yes, go to 2. No, go to AH.
2. Can I afford gear to survive more than 1-hit from a trash mob without gimping my DPS? no, no, no, no, no.

Act 1 makes you think that armor/resists are a viable path, then you hit Act 2 and the mobs point at you and laugh before 1-hitting you through the millions worth of gear you wasted your money on.

Don't build so that you can take hits, build/play so that you don't have to take hits.
No we are not the worst class. We just take more work/effort/skill to be successful with.
Yeah i have to agree with many points here, WD class seems to point towards the glass cannon build, we are actually quite a beefy DPS class, but at the moment, i personally have sub 28K HP and cannot take more than 3 hits (*edit: this is inferno*)... Maybe because i have dumped all my stats into DPS.

Have tried going armor/tank, but really takes the fun out of the WD class... All said, i still prefer my WD over my Monk...

Hopefully Blizzard comes out with something to pay WDs some T&C - would be good.

My 2c.
06/19/2012 03:49 AMPosted by Necroholic
No we are not the worst class. We just take more work/effort/skill to be successful with.

+1
I had just cleared Act 4 Inferno, a day after RMAH was released. How? Through pain and suffering. Take a quick gander at our class:

Pros:
- ZB does sick damage. Stack it with Spirit Vessel, Vision Quest, Spirit Walk with Jaunt and BBV Rain Dance, thats 6 seconds of unlimited bears tearing everything on the map a new one.
- ZB covers you 360 from would be melee that gets too close.
- Poison Dart w Splinters, 3 shots, each can crit on its own, awesome when stacked nicely with Crit Dmg, Crit Hit and IAS. Machine gun down anything in a straight line.
- Good amount of CC choices. Fear, Stun+Confusion, Hex, Snare
- Nice AOE choices. Rain of Frogs, Acid Cloud, Zombie Bears, Locusts (I love how Pestilence spreads on a screen full of mobs)
- Fetish, though on long cooldown, these little buggers make great tanks. They hold agro really well and long enough for me to throw my teddies at Champs or MB (mini bosses)

That's pretty much all I really like about this class. I had a lot more when I first started. The pets was only good up to Hell Act 4.

Cons:
- ZB does almost HALF the damage against Plagued champions and MiniBosses.
- Range is too short unless you're backed against a wall but then if you do that, your sides are vunerable.
- Mana cost is high therefore this is useless without Vision Quest. Even Blood Ritual and Spi Attunement does jack all. If you are using Poison Darts with Pierce the Veil, your mana is hardly even regenerating from Spi Attune.
- Pets... FAILED SCALING. More of Blizzard's BS here. I remember reading about an interview during Beta about Blizzard's feel on the WD and that they are happy with the scaling and where it's at, etc, yada, yada, yada. ..|.. Tell me that again when almost every damn pet aside from Fetishes gets 1 shotted in Inferno. Garg can hold 2 hits, maybe. Even with Zombie Handler and Jungle Fortitude, etc, Zombie Dogs and Gargantuan are TWO USELESS spells in my book. At least in Hell, Garg can still hold Diablo for a few, enough for me to pew pew a little.
- Poison Darts + Grasp of the Dead with Haunt. Zombie Bear AOE spec (The 2-min Doctor). This two are probably the most common specs out there. I used Bears for Act 1 and PD spec for 2, 3 and 4 with Grasp, Wall and Locusts.
- Some of these passives really need to be looked into again. 3% chance to spawn 1 damn Fetish? Really? Well, ok, everyone's got their useless passives, I guess.

The list goes on. So yeah, I cleared killed Diablo Inferno pre-nerf. Woohoo. Now what the hell am I gonna do? 5 stack farm Diablo? Yeah sure! Why not!? Just suffer during farming like how I suffered getting to Diablo in the first place just for a few rares that's most probably gonna have crap stats.

I know a $h|tload of Witch Doctors out there that are struggling just to get past Belial's adds. Hell, some can't even get through Phase 2 Belial. Going into Tower of the Damned... your @$$ is gonna bloom like sakuras in spring from Hulking Phasebeasts' attacks. Oh yeah, don't forget Herald of Pestilences that fingers your behind, ranged mobs and my ALLLLLL time favorite, Soul Lashers and their amazing 6ft tongue!

Despite all this crap above, I still made it. So how do you win with WD? Farm gold, farm items (DUH. The usual..) Gear up to over 50k dps or more and play with a LOT of patience. Be prepared to die a lot. A lot. A lot. A lot. A lot. A lot. A lot. A lot. A lot.

A lot.

Bottomline, yeah, I feel we are a broken class... well maybe not broken... but badly damaged. A crap load of room for improvement. Except maybe for PVP... I got a good feeling on that one. >:D

Could you show your build? thxxx
Barbarian farm act3 = 120hours (with 30-40mil in gear)

Witch doctor farm act3 = went there instantly with 5mil worth of gear skipped act1 and 2.

I still have garbage gear and with 41kdps and 24k hp and farm siegebreaker in my sleep. We have three times the CC of a wizard or DH.

Blizzard made the game so top dps gets 1st prize and we do less of that than DHs and Wizards.

SO if you want to sacrifice the coolest CC spells in the game, the best flexibility in the game (you can tank act3, soon you'll be able to tank it with summons, or you can glass cannon it up), you can go roll a DH or a wizard.
I don't read the other class forums, but do people say the same !@#$ about their class? Be it Barbarian, be it monk?

WD is good guys. Learn to Play
barb forums are not as bad as monk but there is a lot of whining in barb forums. A lot of people saying barbs are weak before even hitting act2 or act3 wall.
I don't read the other class forums, but do people say the same !@#$ about their class? Be it Barbarian, be it monk?

WD is good guys. Learn to Play

Love the WD ... its not a pain train destroy everything without breaking a sweat (well some of those lucky people with 20mil+ gear maybe) but its situational which is why I am loving it!

With a group take skills to boost the groups success, if your all ranged see if the DH and Wiz are running slowing spells if not you bust out the CC, if you got mad tankage crack out the high power, I love dropping a few haunts for mana hitting SW into a group applying locust hitting fear, and then smash out some bears or splinters.

Unless I am stacking NV for a boss I am constantly changing to the party and the situation which makes it so much fun, the moment I stop having to think is the point I lose interest.

Same applies for solo play - adapt to the environment change your skills, stop looking for 'the one build' and you might like me start having SO much fun.
@OP.

Identical build to mine, it's a really good one.

I'm trying to remove my addition to IAS though as it relies on it heavily. Anyone found anything that actually *works* later on other than stacking IAS and heavy kiting?
@OP.

Identical build to mine, it's a really good one.

I'm trying to remove my addition to IAS though as it relies on it heavily. Anyone found anything that actually *works* later on other than stacking IAS and heavy kiting?

Have to come up with something quick as IAS is being nerfed in 1.03 lol