The Blackrock Ledger Mystery

General Discussion
Many have already happened across one or more- there is a series of unusual items found in act 2 called the Blackrock Ledger's.

This thread is for those interested in trying to discover a possible use for the 6 Blackrock Ledgers.

What are the Blackrock Ledger's for?

There are 6 pages- 4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42

It was quickly discovered that these numbers directly refer to a mysterious number sequence found in the TV show "Lost"

It was also quickly discovered that the lore in the item description when placed in the correct order and using the 1st letter of each page created the acronym "DHARMA" - another reference to the show "Lost"

Since then the trail has mostly run dry, but there is a lot of speculation that there is more to be found, and we need your help!

There is a great amount of information, and tested theories on these threads-

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5151722071
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5568801573?page=1

The Ledgers themselves are found in the stingy winds at these spawn locations- http://s019.radikal.ru/i606/1205/23/b71bd6d07677.jpg

Go to Act II City of Blood and take the Khasim, then go left and down to the Stinging Winds.

The Ledgers themselves read-

"Damn, I always thought that being a first mate would be more exciting. I guess i shouldn't expect much from a mining expedition. Ever since we set off from Kingsport, all I've done is sit out on deck and watch the deckhands argue."

"Haven't been able to get much sleep these past few days. Apparently my sea legs aren't as sturdy as i thought they'd be. I've vomited more times than i can count, and every time Captain Hanso offers me some ale, I have to come up with some excuse to decline."

"After three straight days of this storm, I'm almost convinced that this ship has some sort of curse on it. Each week brings some new trouble that i have to deal with. I'm not sure what will give out first, the ship... Or me."

"Reyes tells me that it was some colossal wave that did the ship in. I was down below when it all happened. Several of us survived the wreck. The rest of them have gone off to try and figure out where the hell we are, as if any of that matters."

"Madness, complete bloody madness. The captain has disappeared into the desert somewhere, and the rest of the survivors are convinced there's some sort of monster after us. I'm starting to think the crewmen that died in the wreck got the easy way out, lucky bastards."

"All the rest of them are dead now... I'm the only one left. Strange deformed creatures attacked the wreck, where most of us were sleeping. I managed to get away safely... but i don't imagine it will be that way for long. I can hear them... Giggling in the shadows, like this is some kind of game.

First Mate McMahon.
"

There are also the following unusual items with lore that have been speculated to correlate somehow-

Splintered Oar-
"From Kingsport to Kurast we sail. From Lut Gholein to Skovos we roam. When the wind's not blowing, we'll row our damned way home!" -The Sea Trader's Song"

Drops from one of the mobs in front of the Worthram Cathedral on Hell difficulty.

Griswold's Worn Edge-
"a well-made sword worn down from countless battles . the symbol of the famous blacksmith griswold is etched into the blade."

Drops from the randomly spawning "Anvil of Fury" at Griswold's place in Old Tristram on normal difficulty.

Rakanishu's Blade-
"Rakanishu , lord of the fallen, drove his minions to frenzied battle. They could often be heard scremaing his name as they rushed head long to their deaths."

Drops from Rakanishu's shrine event in the Dalghur Oasis on normal difficulty.

Wirt's Original Leg-
"Once belonging to a disgruntled lad name wirt , this leg was amputated after he suffered grievous wounds at the hands of demonic torturers near the town of Tristram ."

Drops from Bishbosh's Corpse in the Den of the Fallen Level 2 in the Weeping Hallows on Normal difficulty.
(this is one of the harder ones to find cause The Den is a rare spawn, and Bishbosh's Corpse is a very rare spawn, load The Shattered Crown: The Northwest Gate and use the run to save time http://d3domination.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/diablo_3_weeping_hollow_farming_circuit.jpg

The Clipper-
"Don't drop it ... Might lose a toe ."

Drops from the randomly spawning unique monster "Nine Toads" in the desolate sands Normal Difficulty

Spectrum-
"This fantastical blade is the physical manifestation of unicorn smiles, bright rainbow colors, shooting star wishes and teddy bear giggles."

Drops from the Unique Pony "Creampuff" in Whimsyshire. I've heard in normal & nightmare difficulty.

The Horadric Hamburger-
"The Horadrim wandered far and wide to gather the finest ingredients for their feast. Only the lone traveler sent to the Moo Moo farm failed to return. Diablo had laid a trap for the Horadrim, the Hell Bovine, who struck the traveler down before he could gather the final ingredient: cheese."

Drops in Whimsyshire. I've seen it drop from a Pinata on Nightmare.

I will try to add more to this post and keep it updated.
they do nothing

they are references to the tv show lost

the first letter in each page spells "dharma", another reference to lost

its just a pop culture ref. stop obsessing

edit: the clipper is a reference to the video game borderlands, a decidedly similar game to diablo. borderlands has an enemy in it named "rakkanishu", a diablo reference. the enemy in diablo 3 "nine toads, terror of the borderlands" is a reference to a boss in borderlands, called nine toes.
they do nothing

they are references to the tv show lost

the first letter in each page spells "dharma", another reference to lost

edit: the clipper is a reference to the video game borderlands, a decidedly similar game to diablo. borderlands has an enemy in it named "rakkanishu", a diablo reference. the enemy in diablo 3 "nine toads, terror of the borderlands" is a reference to a boss in borderlands, called nine toes.

It may be that they don't, but it's also possible they do something. If your satisfied with not exploring the possibilities of them having a use, then don't post in the thread.
It's the true access to the real secret cow level. Figure out its mysteries and all shall be revealed.
I would like to believe that, I've even heard something about data miners having found cow enemy models in the game, but I've also heard they haven't found any level per say either...

I personally think it would be neat if Whimsyshire was a illusion or something and there was a way for it to change in to a real cow level.

I can also see them saving a real cow level for an expansion or big update or something too...

But yeah, the whole "Lost" theme could fit in with a "lost cow level" too.

idk, but I hope there is more to it then all the item slots being occupied in my inventory...
While I'm not obsessing, I am intrigued and will also continue to explore the mystery. Thanks for the informative post.
another reference to 'lost' is that there was also a ship call 'blackrock' which stranded on the island
Isn't it also interesting that Fallen Lunatics spawn around the ship? On LOST the characters went to the Black Rock to get dynamite. The entire ship explodes at some point. It could just be a funny coincidence, or it could mean something.

The whole existence of the pages could just be a tip of the hat to LOST, but it could (in the style of LOST, no less) be a convoluted treasure hunt that leads to something awesome, or nothing. Maybe a hidden Feat of Strength achievement?

At any rate, if anyone wants to look in to it more, more connections to the tv show should be looked for. Other things like The Horadric Hamburger and Wirt's Original Leg and such I just don't see being part of the Black Rock Ledger mystery.
You think that a development team that can't even hash out and complete the main part of the game is going to spend all their time making some huge secret level that no one will find based around lost? Sure, ok.
Reyes is also Hurley's last name. Hugo Reyes.

WHEW Thank God! we were getting Dangerously close to CONTENT there for a minute.
07/08/2012 05:34 PMPosted by Drake
It's the new chat gem.

no sir, THIS

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6037265535#1

is the new chat gem
mark
hmmm this topic sure is interesting.. finally someone talking with sense..
i want to hear more about this theories of yours mate :D
If you make the maniacs explode in a perfect circle around the ship, the ship will blow up revealing a secret level!!!
It will be revealed in patch 1.0.8 ... if you know what I mean. :)
Well, at least I hope so.