Repair Costs - The bull in the china shop

General Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5 26 Next

Death has meant nothing for a very long time now, and it's going to take some getting used to and just understanding that death is no longer something that just happens, it should be something you're really fighting to avoid, and potentially being smarter about tackling content you can actually tackle.

That said, we think the normal wear and tear is maybe too high. Just fighting is probably too expensive, and we're looking at potential adjustments there.

Tell us then Mr Bashiok.. how are those of us south of the equator who are forced to play with a 200+ ping due to a lack of local servers meant to avoid death when by the time we see the attack its actually already hit us????
06/20/2012 04:45 PMPosted by Bashiok
as long as people aren't throwing their character's corpses against enemies

The corpse cannon was one of my former guilds greater skills back in wrath. We rarely met a trash pack we didn't refine this expert skill upon. Way to reign on my nostalgia parade.

No one is going to like additional repair costs. I'm not sure how any feedback would be "Great, I really love paying more for repair costs." however, we have seen enough feedback and data to show that the ratio is pretty good as long as people aren't throwing their character's corpses against enemies. Death has meant nothing for a very long time now, and it's going to take some getting used to and just understanding that death is no longer something that just happens, it should be something you're really fighting to avoid, and potentially being smarter about tackling content you can actually tackle.

That said, we think the normal wear and tear is maybe too high. Just fighting is probably too expensive, and we're looking at potential adjustments there.
And how I am going to practice playing and improving if repair costs completely eliminate all profit from playing?
I'm not death zerging inferno, I'm just dying about once in 10 minutes.
I can't kite elite packs as well as other players because I didn't have to do that all normal, nightmare and 1-2 acts of hell and now I can't even learn to play because it costs huge amounts of gold.
I mean 6x repair cost ?
wouldnt balance be like

increase repair cost => at least slightly increase item value at vendor

or something like that?
I think that's the only Bashiok post I ever agreed with. I just wish they weren't considering to lower the cost for normal wear and tear.

People need to understand that the game NEEDS gold sinks otherwise the currency (gold) of the entire system is going to crumble.
No one is going to like additional repair costs.

Why put it in then? The object is to have fun correct? The additional amount of gold spending isn't going to somehow round out the game or make juggling gold more fun.

Fun is why we play Diablo 3 right? Well I mean I don't play anymore. But I will at some point I am hoping.
I will agree with Hurricane, your responses (UrbanEvil) are not constructive, biased, and opinionated. Also, no, we do not have the same gear. All gear is random in the game. Can you honestly tell me you have the exact same gear, piece by piece, stat for stat, level for level? No, didn't think so. Move along and take your toxic posts else where.

Thanks Bashiok, your last sentence atleast shows that Blizzard is looking into the costs that I am referring to. Much appreciated.

Im done, enjoy crying/moaning/whining/etc about gold Mr. God among men, ill actually be playing the game and enjoying myself!
Which community manager has the fortitude to address the 90% negative feedback surrounding repair costs

Oh... I guess me.

No one is going to like additional repair costs. I'm not sure how any feedback would be "Great, I really love paying more for repair costs." however, we have seen enough feedback and data to show that the ratio is pretty good as long as people aren't throwing their character's corpses against enemies. Death has meant nothing for a very long time now, and it's going to take some getting used to and just understanding that death is no longer something that just happens, it should be something you're really fighting to avoid, and potentially being smarter about tackling content you can actually tackle.

Elites insta heal after certain time, you KNOW this. It is almost impossible to "death zerg" successfully against elites. And I think a 28 second cooldown timer has meant PLENTY to alot of people
Which community manager has the fortitude to address the 90% negative feedback surrounding repair costs

Oh... I guess me.

That's all you feel is to expensive? You don't feel that 20k after two deaths is too expensive? You can die twice in a couple of minutes.. let me see you make 20k in a couple of minutes on a regular basis.
I read a topic on this earlier, which I agree with. Having cool money sinks for rich people is great (like those 20k mounts in WoW) since it creates something enjoyable to sink huge amounts of excess cash into. However, the repair approach to a money sink just trickles downhill and instead of poorer players saving up the money for items/gems/crafting... it takes longer/doesnt happen due to the 12x increase that you're dropping into gear you already have.
Then why not do something like dropping durability by 50%, to prevent zerging... instead of increasing the repair cost to make a larger gold sink, so that RMAH seems more tempting? You could even lower Neph Buff stack by one for dying instead of making repair prices so high. Though, if you were to reduce durability loss from combat to around if not less than 10% of what it is now, then I suppose it will be fine.
So, don't attempt new content until you overgear it in order to prevent deaths. Thanks for clearing that up.
06/20/2012 04:53 PMPosted by MysticalOS
as long as people aren't throwing their character's corpses against enemies

The corpse cannon was one of my former guilds greater skills back in wrath. We rarely met a trash pack we didn't refine this expert skill upon. Way to reign on my nostalgia parade.

For future reference, it is "rain on my parade." As in, the parade is now cancelled, due to rain.
06/20/2012 04:47 PMPosted by Tyoj
You guys are such jackasses, if we wanted to be penalized for dying, we would be playing hardcore.

Not thats too much penalty.
Lmaoo dude, you are getting pay to do something and as far as i can tell. YOU ARE NOT DOING IT. Where can i fill one of those complains thing to get these people fire?

Oh... I guess me.

You might also consider providing some actual survivability passives to Demon Hunters like every other class has (Barb - War Cry Impunity, Monk - One with Everything, WD - Jungle Foritude, Wiz - Energy Armor Prismatic Armor), so that when solo'ing we don't die repeatedly the second we mis-time SS or run out of discipline.

And for those itching to tell me to stop glass cannoning, I have nearly 500 all resist, 650 physical resist, 3k armor, and almost 33k HP. And yet all it takes are 1-2 projectiles or melee hits from a non-elite, just 1 from an elite, in Act 3 Inferno to kill me. So yay for crazy expensive repair bills!
@Spartan019, "That I think is the problem. Players are skipping the "trash mobs" that drop gold/items and only look for champion/elite packs for the NV so they can then go straight to the act boss and get their loot"

Obviously didn't even bother reading prior posts, but just hoping on the train to post your thoughts. This has nothing to do with taking hits or enemies. Please read prior posts for an understanding of my specific topic.

@UrbanEvil, fine go play your game, you should be since in your opinion, there is nothing wrong. Also just shows that you like criticizing and being demeaning to people, but run when someone points out legitemate concerns and you can't respond with anything actually constructive to say.
06/20/2012 04:54 PMPosted by Uziga
So, don't attempt new content until you overgear it in order to prevent deaths. Thanks for clearing that up.

And how do you overgear it without any gold? RMAH. where the !@#$ is Torchlight2

Good enough for me Bashiok.