Dear CM

Aus/NZ General Discussion
Prev 1 8 9 10 12 Next

Well the current situation is that nothing major is going to happen before the end of the year. Really wish I could just say 'Nothing is ever going to happen' but it’s not like that.

Blizzard/Activision would of done a economic/technical feasibility study. It would of been completed by now and therefore you should have your answer.

Your statement is obviously a half-truth and Activision/Blizzard have no plans of ever bringing a server near Australia in D3 life-time.

From the post above, it costs $1 per person per month (+data which is going to be massively cheaper than the AU options if there is even a charge at all) for Blizzard to run servers out of US/EU.

In AU it's going to cost $107 per person per month based on the cheaper of the two options.

That's obviously not going to happen.

Much as I dislike the state of Blizzard as a company, you can't fault them for this one. Problem lays with the cost of IT in Oceania which is dramatically behind the rest of the world.

So we are more likely to get D3 servers in AU by lobbying the government to bring our IT in line with the rest of the world then screaming at Blizzard to pay the currently exorbitant hosting costs.

In any case your only proving my point. They have no intention of placing a server even remotely close to Australia.

p.s Where did you get the cost statistics from?
10/03/2012 11:38 PMPosted by Arcagnion
Well the current situation is that nothing major is going to happen before the end of the year. Really wish I could just say 'Nothing is ever going to happen' but it’s not like that.

Is ok arc, we can help you say it. Nothing is ever going to happen.

IT just took too long, and in the end we know what kind of conclusion it will be: The ppl who really had problem wouldve left, and the one who can keep playing for past half a year, well, they can do it after this as well. So nothing will need to happen.
The people that left probably wont come back and here is why. If USA customers had constant pings of 200+, blizzard would consider it an unacceptable level of service and try to remedy it.

So far blizzard has done literally nothing for us.
Not a huge suprise to see more waving of carrot. I've been checking in here only to see if they would indeed put local servers in (SG is not local imo - NZ/syd/mel would be). Totally over blizzard for the mean time. I will in no way purchase another game from them unless they offer some sort of offline mode and/or local servers. If SC2:Hots is online only for single player no way in hell i'd purchase it after the debacle that was d3.

Personally i got a refund in the opening month reasoning for this was:

• Abnormally high pings and the gameplay was influenced by such a large extent due to the way they designed inferno and the oneshot mechanics of nearly every elite pack - nothing more frustrating than being rubber banded back into a wall and getting insta gibbed
  • Maintence during the first month was abysmal - 3 nights a week for 4 hrs + during peak time (8pm - 12am) with no offline option

I've Since got my ARPG fix from torchlight 2. It amazes me that such a small company has produced a game in 18 months that is by and large better than d3 in almost every way - it only lacks on the graphics side but the game play in it is 10x better (imo) and it offers offline mode to boot. I'd highly recommend that any arpg fan checks it out.
this is taking forever
i would happily start from scratch on a local server. given the time this has taken since release i think there is no chance of them creating a server for us. what would they gain? they clearly dont care about their reputation as can be seen from the beta game we are still playing
But if they did make Oceanic Servers would we be able to port our Chars on other servers to that? or would we restart everything?
id personally love a restart as it puts everyone on a level playing field in a new economy
i know it is futile, but thought i would ask......... any news arc?
08/28/2012 07:22 PMPosted by Ison88
it has nothing to do with blizzard, its telstra who make it too expensive for blizzard to do it

Really? Telstra charging exhorbitant prices regardless of the customer? Perish the thought!

08/28/2012 06:47 PMPosted by Arcagnion
Will at least know a little more late next month all going well.

Any furter new for us down here Arc? I been getting timed out while playing ever 10-20 mins lately. It's getting a bit much mate... go shake the boffins up for some new please.
Much appreciated.

PS: please excuse any spelling errors its after 2am after a very long day.
Given the costs associated with renting rack mount space in Australian data centers and then add data and throughput costs it is unlikely blizzard would look at providing severs locally for any extended period of time.

When you compare the costs to that of the US its almost outrageous, granted the game has done reasonably well here but how long are they expected to maintain said servers 1 year 10 or even 20?

Personally i have found the latency "issue" has improved considerably compared to release and experience a satisfactory level of play "most" of the time. The only difference a local server would make is it would allow me to play a hardcore char which given the current unstable ping times is impossible.

Another option for blizz may well be go into the data center business like google and amazon and build their own horribly expensive data center and sell rack mount space to other companies. ha ha unlikely but it at least has the potential to return on their investment unlike what this thread suggests.
They have been peddling this line " we are looking into it and it will take a LONG time (ie NEVER)" bs for years.
Before that it was the old "it cost too much cause Telstra are loot NINJAs" bs line, yet other MMO's have done so from launch without it costing an arm and a leg.
Aus/NZ player base isn't as small as people make out and hosting a server here compared to profit they get from us is minimal.

Basically we Aussies/NZ players will play their games anyway so why bother putting in servers for us at extra cost, only way to force them is to stop playing their games till they provide the full service they do for other countries.

Anyway cheers for the response CM hopefully we can get a real response one day that isn't a marketing line to keep the wolves at bay.
Given the costs associated with renting rack mount space in Australian data centers and then add data and throughput costs it is unlikely blizzard would look at providing severs locally for any extended period of time.

When you compare the costs to that of the US its almost outrageous, granted the game has done reasonably well here but how long are they expected to maintain said servers 1 year 10 or even 20?

Pretty sure they could negotiate with a major ISP like Telstra and get hosting at a minimal (maybe even free cost). It'd be a great coup for an ISP to be able to advertise "Come sign up with us, we have our own Blizzard servers".

The problem is more likely working out how to do maintenance.
New Year Soon, Hopefully we hear more from blizzard on this issue.
To be honest, unless Blizzard let us copy over our characters from say America's onto the Australian server (when and if this ever happens), i highly doubt much of anybody would use the new servers.

@Carnacki : My brother works in a large ISP in Australia. Has offered Blizzard the space. was told "No" that was a few years back and nothing since then
Untill one day, all AUS/NZ player donate $ to purchase server hardware for our own region, this old topic won't have any progress. face the truth mate, even tho we have everything ready, if blizz turns out "NO", there is noting we can do anyway. just bit sad that we had huge number of players at AUS/NZ region since WoW came out till today, no go is no go.
The thing with this is, people need to now backup their posts with their money - meaning they DO NOT buy the next title Blizzard puts out. I know i wont be. Until the whole region follows suit, good luck trying to get anything to happen.
Virtually everyone I know was disappointed with Diablo 3. A lot of people will reconsider any blizzard product.
Telstra privatised, lets all buy shaes and put our collective weight to lowerting the cost so blizard can do it?

Here's hoping.