High Crit (52%) WW build + Videos (Act3)

Wizard
What about Shielding?

This example: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5911721733 - a similar build, but the dude has godly gear, 100x(?) more expensive than yours, still gets killed, and says that basically he has to tank Shielding mobs straight up, i.e. needs even more expensive gear. That's a bit disheartening for those hoping to find a melee wiz build that works with 'budget' gear.

How do you get crits when the mobs shield up?

If at least one of has shield down, I focus on that one allowing me to spam diamond skin and keep alive. If they all have shield up, I just wait it out. The second one of their shield drops I WW spam on him and teleport to him (if ranged). Also, spamming fracture as much as possible to reposition (usually a couple feet to opposite side of monster) and distract.

Edit: See http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5968247234?page=2#40 for new vid or main post!
That emphasizes how important Teleport is for this build. But what if they are Fast or naturally fast moving in addition to Shielding? You can't teleport far enough / for long enough before they catch up. Shielding + Fast + Frozen + Invul Minions?

I guess what I'm trying to find out is if this build works against every possible affix combo. That fight against the frozen range pack that kites you - that was really hard for you, but it would have been a walkover for a cheap glass cannon kiter build. That brings the obvious question: why work so hard (the sheer amount of keyboard and mouse actions and concentration required) when you can just take it easy and kite, if you still have to skip some affix/mob type combos?
That emphasizes how important Teleport is for this build. But what if they are Fast or naturally fast moving in addition to Shielding? You can't teleport far enough / for long enough before they catch up. Shielding + Fast + Frozen + Invul Minions?

I guess what I'm trying to find out is if this build works against every possible affix combo. That fight against the frozen range pack that kites you - that was really hard for you, but it would have been a walkover for a cheap glass cannon kiter build. That brings the obvious question: why work so hard (the sheer amount of keyboard and mouse actions and concentration required) when you can just take it easy and kite, if you still have to skip some affix/mob type combos?

I just took out a shielding / fast / mortar / frozen bloodclan melee dudes. I was about to record it, but my computer is dying right now. It wasn't that bad, the chance of them all shielding at the same time isn't that high in my experience. As long as I have one to proc CM off of I'm fine.

Invuln minions would actually make it easier since I can freeze them. Shielding is harder imo due to the inability to freeze or proc CM. See the first video (with the double pack, 1 with invuln as a demonstration)

But I do kind of agree, that pack probably would've been better to skip... but where's the fun in that? :D I still hold reservations as to whether or not I could have done that more efficiently/better had my laptop not been overheating.

I haven't had to skip a single elite pack. Nor do I plan to. Most deaths I've had against a single elite pack so far is that bloodclan mage pack which totaled me 3 deaths.

On the other hand, a glass cannon build would [most likely] not have been able to take the double pack in the first video.
Ok, one more idea from this sceptic, since this was the example that broke even the godly geared build I referenced: Oppressors. With affixes that make you teleport, and the fight to last long enough for this to happen: the moment you teleport they charge and 1-shot you, DS or no DS won't matter. Let's say Frozen and Shielding. Bonus points if the other 2 are Fast and Extra Health. If you can down a pack like that using this build, that'll be a riot.
06/29/2012 03:58 PMPosted by Axxius
Ok, one more idea from this sceptic, since this was the example that broke even the godly geared build I referenced: Oppressors. With affixes that make you teleport, and the fight to last long enough for this to happen: the moment you teleport they charge and 1-shot you, DS or no DS won't matter. Let's say Frozen and Shielding. Bonus points if the other 2 are Fast and Extra Health. If you can down a pack like that using this build, that'll be a riot.

Sounds fun! I'll report back later today! TBH, I dont see this being much of an issue. Melee mobs in general are really easy. Morlu Incinerators (the ranged ones) , on the other hand, are a total pain to kill. By the time I get one down, the other 2 enrage. So it takes LONG.
06/29/2012 03:58 PMPosted by Axxius

Oppressors don't even come close to one-shotting a decently geared melee wizard. They do hurt, but something like Fire Chains Shielding Arcane Vortex Morlu Incinerators are way worse.

epicol: I have seen some claims that Short Fuse had a cast time, which is why I thought it did. As far as I can tell from my testing though, it doesn't. I still think Chain Reaction is way better though, because it's 29% more damage and can be precast for the delay anyway.

Btw, why no follower?
06/30/2012 11:57 AMPosted by Psiven
Oppressors don't even come close to one-shotting a decently geared melee wizard.

Right. And your definition of 'decently geared'? ;)

The most attractive thing about Epicol's build is that it does not require gear that costs 10m+ gold per every piece.

Btw, why no follower?

They annoy me. Their bonuses aren't worth how annoying they are.
I normally play a high crit arcane orb kiting build, so I decided to test this out, with one modification. It was fun once I got the hang of the maneuvering. I killed easy packs a little bit faster than I do with my other build, and I took out some hard packs with shielding/invul/etc., but I died way too much on those.

The modification was that my gear is based on high offense and optimal use of force armor for defense (high enough resists to get the full force armor reduction with fairly low (25k) HP, which makes diamond skin and heals go farther). I kept dying to DoT/CC combinations... molten/plague/arcane/desecrator combined with jailer/waller/frozen. Because of those and the fact that you have to get in close to them, I just don't think it's viable to run this build with force armor. It seems you need prismatic and LoH.
I'm a wiz and I wanna be a melee wiz, I was wonderin if I could start a melee gear set with 700k.

thank you
I'm a wiz and I wanna be a melee wiz, I was wonderin if I could start a melee gear set with 700k.

thank you

For A1? Easily. I wouldn't try A3 on that low of budget though.

A3 minimum requirement to not get 1 shot is ~700 all resist and 30k hp (explodey dudes will still one shot you though). The reason my build is working for me is the fact that I can spam diamond skin so incredibly fast, that I can take several hits in a short period of time.

If you prioritize only 2 crucial stats per item, you can build a decent set that will run A1. Things I'd look out for:
Helm: prioritize >8 AP on crit+ %crit
Shoulders: all res + int/vit
Chest: All res + int/vit
amulet: prioritize %crit, then all res or loh if affordable
bracers: prioritize %crit
rings: prioritize %crit, then all res or loh if affordable
pants: all res + int/vit
weapon: crit damage (this is big for dps since you've been stacking %crit on other pieces), otherwise loh
boots: all res + vit/int
source: utility is best in my opinion -- 10 AP on crit + 8% crit chance , damage doesn't matter

When it comes to life on hit, you definitely want ~400. If you can get a good crit weapon for cheap, then do loh on rings and amulet is necessary (I'd aim for a total of 400 loh). Otherwise, if you get loh on the weapon, use rings and amulet for all resist or int/vit

700k should be plenty to find the armor I listed with the stats listed, but the weapon is a tricky one since both loh and crit damage is an expensive stat on weapon right now. I believe you can pick up a decent 650~ dps weapon with decent crit damage or loh (but not both) for cheap.

For A1, you want to aim 20k hp + 300 all resist (unbuffed), dps of 10-15k should suffice if you have atleast 40% crit

Remember that crit% is your lifeline since it enables you to spam nova and diamond skin more often.
ur gear is way too squishy for this build, (video 1) seems like u have to kite for an eternity to kill something considering, honestly i think ud be much more efficient using a trad build at your current gear lvl.
06/30/2012 04:55 PMPosted by Meerkat
ur gear is way too squishy for this build, (video 1) seems like u have to kite for an eternity to kill something considering, honestly i think ud be much more efficient using a trad build at your current gear lvl.

I honestly don't think any other build could have killed those 2 packs. A traditional build would've gotten destroyed by the invuln minions moving at ridiculous speeds. I was able to teleport away or stun or absorb the invuln minions every time they got close thanks to CM; a traditional build would have been toast after the first teleport/diamond skin.

A majority of these videos are hard packs and double packs to demonstrate how this build excels at doing what other builds simply cannot.

As stated before, I've never skipped a pack with this build. Something not everyone can claim.
may be you are right. at least about the 2 packs camping the start of the instance.

i dont have any trouble with invul minions using a trad build. (mirror image over teleport)
but it may just be that im much more geared atm.

you may be able to solo things much beyond your gear lvl, but it seems like your build is severely lacking in damage ;o and things just take forever lol

and with such a squishy melee build, do you die alot to random luck?
http://www.twitch.tv/torbjorn1895/b/323255940

Just wanted to show this. Chain Reaction is better simply because it does more damage and can potentially lead to more CM procs with good RNG. None of the Explosive Blast variations have a cast animation.
Ya I love this build. And yes it works well with my little weapon(675dps wand with 8 critical on WW ) only have 35crit. So I have to use fn with 5crit(don't know the rune name) it stacks up to 3x to make my critical up to 50. Takes longer on act 3 due to dps.
may be you are right. at least about the 2 packs camping the start of the instance.

i dont have any trouble with invul minions using a trad build. (mirror image over teleport)
but it may just be that im much more geared atm.

you may be able to solo things much beyond your gear lvl, but it seems like your build is severely lacking in damage ;o and things just take forever lol

and with such a squishy melee build, do you die alot to random luck?

I don't feel as though my damage is lacking at all. Once an elite pack is locked down, I do between 80-100k dps (timed how long it took to kill a 2m hp elite)

I can certainly post a video of me absolutely destroying an easy melee pack... but that's boring :D

Also, I don't die very often at all. I die in (most of) these videos because I take the liberty to record only the hardest of packs I've encountered. Most packs go like that illusionist bloodclan spearmen vid: super easy and super fast. Spamming diamond skin = not squishy. I can cast diamond skin 50% more often than people with 1k+ all resist and 35% crit.. which means I effectively replenish more HP per second!
this build cant kill all mob types, so it not op, so you dont need to reroll, or tell all your friends, or ask for nerfs. /thread :D (dont nerf my fav class darnit)
I use a similar build, however instead of teleport I have added in Arcane Orb (obliteration). This gives me some more flexibility when needed, particularly with some ranged/nightmare mobs that can be annoying. Handy for finishing mobs off and just mixing things up a bit too.

The only mob I have a problem with now is phasebeasts, They just do so much damage that if you don't do everything perfectly you die =(.

Also just a tip for people.... you can hold down your left mouse button with WW and then just spam the other buttons, You don't need to keep clicking your mouse to case WW. =)
Oppressors don't even come close to one-shotting a decently geared melee wizard.

Right. And your definition of 'decently geared'? ;)

The most attractive thing about Epicol's build is that it does not require gear that costs 10m+ gold per every piece.

I have about 8800 armor and 850 resists, 37k HP. The vast majority of my gear is from the clearance rack because I don't have a lot of playtime. Elite charges in A4 take me to about half HP. I believe they count as melee hits, so Blur / String of Ears help.

In my experience most of the people that have absurdly expensive gear have a bunch of crit/critdamage/ias/int stuff, very low vit, higher res, and lower armor with an orb. So the ones with 10m+ gold per piece equipment are probably more likely to get one-shot because they're built more like the glass cannon setups that got them rich. Epicol's gear is what I would consider a typical example of this, perhaps a bit cheaper and higher HP. You won't get to 50% crit with decent stats cheap, period.