Research on Monster Affix Frequencies

General Discussion
After seeing Mortar pack after Mortar pack one farming trip, I got curious to see how many times each affix showed up. Missile Dampening stood out as one that I almost never saw, but I was interested to see which affix was the most common. Was it confirmation bias at work when I saw all those Reflect Damage packs, or did they actually show up more than others? So, I decided to track all elites & champions I came across, and find out for myself.

Caveats: This was only done with a single character, a level 60 Wizard. This was ONLY done in Inferno A1, due to ease of killing. I would not be surprised if different acts or different classes saw vastly different results. The first run was a complete clear from the very beginning of A1, the rest started at Reign of the Black King and went through the end of the act. After my last full run, I needed just a couple more elites to reach 100 for a good data sample, so I reloaded, went to The Festering Woods, and ended up with 1 champion and 3 elites, bringing my totals up to 150 champions and 101 elites.

Also, some packs were not recorded. In four cases, the Dark Moon Shaman bug was in play, and while I could figure out 2-3 affixes for each pack, I couldn't figure them all out before they died. Those results were tossed out. There were a couple cases where I thought I'd gotten good screenshots, but ended up missing them due to trying to take pictures while running in combat. Finally, there were about three or four packs that simply melted to Archon before I could get a screenshot off. Oops.

Results:
Individual Affix Results: http://i.imgur.com/sBnMF.jpg
Most Common Affix Pairs: http://i.imgur.com/eZgek.jpg

Champion packs liked to have Reflect Damage (38), Teleport (37), and Plague (35), while Avenger (15), Extra Health (16), and Shielding and Nightmarish (19 each) were relatively rare. For Elites, Arcane topped the list (34), while Frozen and Waller (29 each) weren't far behind. To my utter lack of shock, Missile Dampening was by far the rarest affix of all (4), but Elites didn't like Vampiric (6) or Illusionist (8) much either. Overall across all packs, Arcane (61) had the best chance of showing up, followed by Frozen and Reflect Damage (58 each). The first pic linked has the full list, including the percentage each affix showed up (Reflect Damage showed up on over 25% of all Champion packs, for instance!)

I also wanted to see which affixes liked to show up with each other, so I did a little more digging. The full list of affix pairs was just too long to post anywhere, but the most frequent ones are in the second pic linked above. For Champions, Desecrator & Reflect Damage (11) paired together the most, followed by Electrified & Molten and Knockback & Plagued (10 each). Elites liked to pair Vortex & Waller for some reason (10), with Arcane & Fast, Arcane & Frozen, and Frozen & Mortar (9 each) also relatively popular combinations. Across all packs, Arcane & Fast and Vortex & Waller (16 each) had the best chance of showing up together, followed by Desecrator & Reflect Damage (15).

Overall, I enjoyed the quest to finding all of this out. In the process, I discovered that at least for me, Champion Packs outnumbered Elites 3 to 2, and I did indeed confirm that Missile Dampening just does not like showing up for me. That is kind of disappointing; it's an extremely fun affix to play against as a ranged class.

For anyone who wants to see the entire list, or doesn't believe the numbers I came up with and wants to check my work, I have the raw data up at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ApYVpYaeH7nMdF9CRUhYXzBseG9XLTBmMkxDd2xwYWc. Now, back to farming!

Edit: Tribun caught an error in the single affix Combined Results. That's what I get for not triple-checking at 1:30am. Thanks!
Interesting topic.
A fellow diablo scientist? Well done sir!
06/30/2012 01:06 AMPosted by Montressor
Champion Packs outnumbered Elites 3 to 2, and I did indeed confirm that Missile Dampening just does not like showing up for me

Nice post. I did not see Missile Dampening once on my play through, i didnt even know it existed till i went and checked the list. And had several dungeons where all 2-3 of the rares/elites had reflect damage.
Interesting for what it is, but I wouldn't read far into it. I expect that things like Creature type, Act/area, maybe even player build may effect the odds for any given affix. Could just be perception, but some creatures/areas seem more packed with some affixes than others, to me.
http://i.imgur.com/t6rFl.jpg
I think the combined results for shielding packs might be wrong: isn't it 38 instead of 58?

Thanks for your analysis.
Played my WD to act 4 inferno, never saw a missile dampening
Saw my first missile dampening elite in act 2 inerno on my wizard lol
Interesting for what it is, but I wouldn't read far into it. I expect that things like Creature type, Act/area, maybe even player build may effect the odds for any given affix. Could just be perception, but some creatures/areas seem more packed with some affixes than others, to me.

The data the op posted at the very least should be read further into than your comment, which is based on absolutely nothing...
It is based on good science: there are a ton of variables here which are not controlled, so when we look at the post we should have the humility/understanding that those variables might influence outcomes.

You don't leave a bunch of uncontrolled variables and then say "this is definitive, because anyone saying otherwise is basing it on nothing." I am basing it on the lack of controls.

What's more, we actually know for a fact that other variables do affect these outcomes. I am pretty sure some of these affixes don't even show up in Normal mode for example, so we know that Blizzard chose to tune their frequency based on difficulty. Without further analysis there is no reason to assume those frequencies are constant within a given difficulty, or across any of these other variables.
http://i.imgur.com/t6rFl.jpg
I think the combined results for shielding packs might be wrong: isn't it 38 instead of 58?

Thanks for your analysis.

You are correct. The problem was that I had them sorted alphabetically for individuals, then the combined simply referenced the same cells in each (different sheets of the book; I also had a bunch of other stuff going on in those). That's been fixed, and the correct results have been posted above.

Mouthwash, that's exactly why I put in the caveats that I did. This was only for inferno testing, for a few reasons: A) largest possible sample size without me taking forever, B) that's where I play anyway, and C) best way to see the pairings. You're more than welcome to perform testing at lower levels though, I'd be interested to see the results!
Affixes are based on your class is what I see

On my DH - over hundreds of packs tracked now, ~50% reflect vs non-reflect elites

Wiz - haven't tested to same extent yet but far more mortars then my DH

Barb - nightmare over and over while my DH sees nightmare about as often as missile dampening, which means basically very low