How to Build a Double Tornado Barbarian!

Barbarian
Full Credit For this build goes to Dino. I just found his guide to be a bit messy, so I cleaned it up and summarized.

So this past few weeks I have been trying out the "Double Tornado" Build for the Barbarian. It is a purely amazing build, and has made me about 30m in 2 weeks. I could play for hours and never get bored, especially in the Fields of Slaughter in Act 3, while destroying the Ballistae.

I used a timer and timed how long it took me to kill each pack of elites, for 20 packs of elites, and then averaged them out to lasting roughly 40 seconds each. Amazing right?

Many of you viewing this post do not know what a "Double Tornado" build is. So I will explain (If you already know how to run a double tornado barbarian, skip below):

First of all, you have to set your skills up like this: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#hUPXik!bYZ!ZZcaYc

Using the gearset below, you will follow these steps when approaching a monster/champion pack. This build is best used in big groups, and who doesnt like being able to kill big groups all at once?!

- You will first pull a bunch of monsters, or in Fields of Slaughter, They are already in packs.

- You will then buff your War Cry which will generate 30 fury.

- After you have that 30 fury, you will buff your Battle Rage which will cost 20 fury.

- You are now left with 10 fury. You will then use your Leap to jump on a monster.

- This will generate an additional 15 fury, leaving you with 25 fury.

- You will then use Sprint, and run around the pack in a circular motion, spawning tornadoes behind you due to the rune.

- Due to the rune on your Battle Rage, 15 fury has a chance to be generated for every critical hit your tornadoes hit. With 51% Crit Chance, you crit more often than not, regenerating fury at enormous amounts. You will then start using Whirlwind, as well as right clicking for your sprint to stay up. (Note: If you dont keep your tornadoes up, you will starve of fury. Also, Battle Rage must also always be up, otherwise you will lose fury generation altogether.)

- You will then be doing enormous amounts of damage with Whirlwind, as well as hitting crits with 3-6 tornadoes. And now your cruising, and just dont stop. You will kill the elites amazingly fast. Shielding is a bit tough, but totally manageable.

The Life on Hit on this build finishes it off to make it even more unstoppable, with 2200 Life on Hit, you almost never drop below 50% Health. Think about it, 3-6 Tornadoes along with Whirlwind all attacking at once, thats about 15 hits per second, or 33k life per second!

This build will take some practice, and I recommend starting in Act 1 of Inferno to try it out before you progress to Act 3 and 4.

Still dont Believe me? I have video proof! Check out some of these hot videos of the "Double Tornado" build.

3 Elite Packs in 20 Seconds!
http://youtu.be/5nayhzdLGKo

Diablo!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bDxVp-GE1I

Note: I recommend setting a button to move in the key bindings menu, that way you dont Whirlwind while trying to move.
Here are my stats:

Strength: 1504
HP: 45k
All Resist: 600+
Crit Chance: 42.5%
LOH: 1300
Armor: 5100

These are stats with War Cry buff off.

I'm currently on this build
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#hRXikU!ZVY!aZaYcZ

Any help on why I'm dying within 3seconds every time I engage a group of mobs in act 3?

I've been trying to kite around before jumping in but i'm usually unable to maintain the ww for a group of elites especially when they are molten/ frozen/ jailer as they stop my ww. Any ideas on how I can improve (gear/ technique)?
First, how is this different than Dino's Double Tornado build which he's already gone through details about it, with 3 threads, ongoing. Just not entirely sure we need another thread on the same topic.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5967776983?page=1

Second, it is not a guarantee that you will receive 15 Fury per Crit. "Into The Fray" gives you a CHANCE to gain 15 fury on crit.
Here are my stats:

Any help on why I'm dying within 3seconds every time I engage a group of mobs in act 3?

I've been trying to kite around before jumping in but i'm usually unable to maintain the ww for a group of elites especially when they are molten/ frozen/ jailer as they stop my ww. Any ideas on how I can improve (gear/ technique)?

If you start off with some tornados there's no reason why you should be dying in a couple of seconds to normal mobs, while WW. Perhaps your pathing could use some work.

Also, try using Overpower with Crushing Advance instead of Ignore Pain. This ability synergizes extremely well with a double Tornado build as the tons of crits in the midst of mobs will often reset OP in a couple of seconds or less, so you could practically spam it whenever it wears off. This makes all regular mob packs a huge breeze. As it offers 30% dmg reduction, you can survive very well if you find yourself getting hurt quite a bit. At the same time dmg is reflecting back to mobs for more hits, which also equal to more LoH everytime they hit you. It's a win, win.

OP also works well against elites as you can run through molten or any other ground crap more safely, at the same time returning some dmg to them.

Any Elites with CC's and kites you are the huge counters to this build. This build is not a win all situation, ezmode build. Some fights will be harder and you need to adjust. But for those who have WotB, they save it specifically for the CC elites. Otherwise, without WotB, I tend to save my OP in the event I get CC'd so it helps with survival. Give it a shot.
I agree. I use this build. Your info is a good summary, but Dino was the inventor and all praise should be directed to him.
Here are my stats:

A bit more Life on Hit could be of use. And if you are finding yourself dying because your whirlwind stops, dont use whirlwind on the select few monsters you specified. Simply run circles around them spawning tornadoes, it may take a bit longer to kill them, but it should eliminate the death problem.

First, how is this different than Dino's Double Tornado build which he's already gone through details about it, with 3 threads, ongoing. Just not entirely sure we need another thread on the same topic.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5967776983?page=1

Second, it is not a guarantee that you will receive 15 Fury per Crit. "Into The Fray" gives you a CHANCE to gain 15 fury on crit.

I am aware that this is the same as Dino's thread, I have just edited this post to give him credits at the top. I found his post to be a bit messy, so I rewrote one that people can understand a bit better.

07/03/2012 12:15 PMPosted by Drcdragon
I agree. I use this build. Your info is a good summary, but Dino was the inventor and all praise should be directed to him.

Credits have been given at the top of this post. Thanks.
Thanks for posting this summary! Could you also share your stats and gears?

(I just posted some questions in Dino's thread but that indeed is too long; I posted it here so maybe more people could see it )

Can someone give me some advice on which off-hand weapon to use?

Option 1:
- 387 DPS Axe, 1.3 attacks per second
- 130 str
- 65% crit damage
- 583 LOH
- Open Socket (60% crit damage)

Option 2:
- 510 DPS Sword, 1.5 attacks per second
- 160 str
- 507 LOH
- 3% Damage done converted to life

My Main Hand:
- 587 DPS Axe
- 497 LOH
- 60% crit damage

My Questions:

1. Does the tooltip DPS of the Off-Hand weapon matter at all? My understanding is that tornado damages are only from main-hand weapon

2. Does the speed of Off-Hand weapon make tornado and WW hit faster?

3. I'm using the standard Dino Tornado build (WW on left click); Does the conclusions from the above two questions apply if I switch WW to Bash or Frenzy? ( For me it's pretty weird to have WW on left-click, how do I kill goblins, or hit the destroyables? )

Hope I explain myself clear enough. Thank you in advance!
from what i can tell your tornado damage is currently based off of your main hand only and it benefits greatly from increased attack speed and high dps obviously. Almost reason enough to skip LOH on the mainhand and get it on your offhand, amulet, and rings.

but i cant really say much as i am dieing quite a bit currently myself and have some questions

My stats are:

1436 str
32,000 life
5500 def
420 all resistance
46% crit damage
200% critical hit damage (main hand 860 dps with 300 str, offhand is...100 str, 60% crit damage, 550 life on hit, 3% lifesteal)
I have 1240 Life on hit and 3% lifesteal
I have 1.6 attack speed.

I know i have the potential to kill most elite mobs due to kiting, but it takes a while. i am looking to make this build easier to survive against elites elemental dmgs, laser thing, poison, molten. My best guess is i need more resistance and probably faster attack speed. I could have too much crit % or an unecessary amount

I also have 20% reduced damage from melee hits due to string of ears and my bracers (i am still confused if -% dmg fro melee is worth getting)
Group more mobs, that way you can have unlimited WotB, and as someone said overpower+crushing advance+life on hit works as a heal pot for molten/poison/desecrate -- plus it's cooldown is 15, duration 4 -- each crit subtracts 1 from cool, so whirling with nados through a crowd with decent crit %, you should crit 11 times in the 4 secs to keep it going permanently, or at least close in smaller crowds -- so you can stay alive np without WotB, I know sometimes it just runs out trying to find mobs
Your life/resist isn't very high for beyond A2 Turtle (although I feel more comfortable around 38k life in A1-2 even for when rare difficult ability combination spawn on elites).

Overpower+Crushing Advance can protect you very well against elemental (poison, molten, desecrate) because it reflects damage and life on hit procs, and you can keep it going 24/7 in crowds with your crit chance easily (it can stay up with 25% crit chance in decent crowds tbh). If you don't use that, more LoH wouldn't hurt, but it's really not at all necessary.

I really have no gear advice for Arcane lasers, I can't completely tank them if I'm not in a big crowd getting lots of LoH, but if you watch for them and change your WW path accordingly, it's not hard to avoid.
A potential starting variation is using the warcry rune with the extra fury. You would be able to sprint right after battlerage.

It's just not a very good idea since resists are so important.
alright, i guess i did just replace overpower with leap, and that is the reason ive been dieing today probably. I was dominating elites yesterday in act 2 and now im getting stomped with leap in act 3. Its just so hard to get the combo started with overpower but leap can get pretty annoying to use as well

I am also wondering how people are getting 12k tornadoes, im getting around 8k. Is it just their mainhands that are 1k dps or something or are they stacking more crit damage? and whats your suggested amount for all res for act 3? around 500-600?
if you want to burn down big groups of monsters just use earthquake.. dont need any special build, just a high damage weapon and strength.. not as gimmicky or squishy. On the other hand I always like to look at different builds being viable, but my 1100 resist all build seems to work fine for me.

This build is just too situational, thanks for sharing for others that want to try it.
the beauty of this build is the low requirement of stats in the armor. If i had 1k res i dont think i'd rely on this.it also takes a lot of practice. ive only been 60 for 2 days, but i killed belial for the first time (despite having a 50mill geared DH, i could never do it) I probably havent spent over 15mill for this guy and anyone could do it for 10% of this gold

I see the nerf bat coming for this build, and if it does this class wont be very fun, because this style of play is actually enjoyable and completely different than any other builds for barbarian.
if you want to burn down big groups of monsters just use earthquake.. dont need any special build, just a high damage weapon and strength.. not as gimmicky or squishy. On the other hand I always like to look at different builds being viable, but my 1100 resist all build seems to work fine for me.

This build is just too situational, thanks for sharing for others that want to try it.

I would argue Earthquake is lot more situation than this build is.

This build works incredibly well against a lot of mobs (which happens quite often), and works well with a few mobs, but can require a little more work.

Earthquake on the other hand.. is on a cooldown. How is taking on a legion of mobs once every minute or so, less situational than taking on legions of mobs for as long as they come at you?
07/03/2012 02:15 PMPosted by mach
Group more mobs, that way you can have unlimited WotB, and as someone said overpower+crushing advance+life on hit works as a heal pot for molten/poison/desecrate -- plus it's cooldown is 15, duration 4 -- each crit subtracts 1 from cool, so whirling with nados through a crowd with decent crit %, you should crit 11 times in the 4 secs to keep it going permanently, or at least close in smaller crowds -- so you can stay alive np without WotB, I know sometimes it just runs out trying to find mobs

Just to be clear, Over Power has a "Chance" for the CD to be lowered by 1 second, on crit. It is not a guarantee. So there is no solid formula for it, unfortunately. We still don't really know the chance to be conclusive.

But needless to say, when you're critting 20 times a second in huge crowd of mobs, the chances of resetting Overpower completely is pretty high.
Bump for more people to see it.
TY
07/03/2012 03:35 PMPosted by Highlander
Just to be clear, Over Power has a "Chance" for the CD to be lowered by 1 second, on crit. It is not a guarantee. So there is no solid formula for it, unfortunately. We still don't really know the chance to be conclusive.

We do know the percentages. Sprint, for example, is 20%.
http://i.imgur.com/Asm2J.png
So i take it .. life steal weapons will not work with this build ? You need LOH ?