$1190.46 & counting, From RMAH to charities

General Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5 17 Next
^
$9.99 to Make-A-Wish
http://i49.tinypic.com/35l93so.gif
:)
Nothing about the extension of the human lifespan has anything to do with charities, which is what we are discussing. Virtually all innovation that has impacted day-to-day lives of human beings is profit-motivated, and would take place with or without charitable donations. Charities bandage problems but do not solve them. This is not to say that bandaging problems is not a worthwhile endeavor; simply that throwing band-aid solutions in every wayward direction is significantly less effective in improving someone's life than, say, giving the guy on your street corner a decent meal.

emtwo, I disagree with some of the other posters saying that you are trolling. I disagree with most of your comments but most of them are reasonable (although not stated in a very constructive way). However, the statement that I quoted is one of the most outrageous things I have read in a while. Your statement is almost the exact opposite of the truth. Almost NO innovation that has impacted the day-to-day lives of humans has been profit-motivated. The vast majority of biomedical research of consequence is funded by public grants and charitable donations. Private companies are really only involved in the development of pharmaceuticals, research equipment and certain biotechnologies. This is an important part of the research process but it is not the driving force of innovation and these functions absolutely could be performed with public funding. Furthermore, every single privately owned pharmaceutical and biotech product that has ever been marketed was built off of basic sciences research that required millions or billions of dollars of public funds. All of the biggest breakthroughs in medicine (e.g. antiretrovirals, DNA sequencing, gene therapy, dialysis, MRI, etc.) have been funded by taxpayer money and charitable contributions. The magnitude of these discoveries is on a completely different scale than anything privately funded.

I work at the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, which is one of the world's largest and highest funded research institutions. Our institution receives a significant portion of the its funding from donations and a large amount of those donations are made in small amounts by large numbers of people which adds up to a very important part of our budget. It worries me to hear people express the sentiment that individual contributions are inconsequential. This is incorrect and harmful to society if people believe it. Research takes a lot of money and every single donation, no matter how small, helps move it along. You are grossly underestimating the impact of charity on the advancement of research and the betterment of everybody's life.
owned.
07/19/2012 09:03 PMPosted by Cold
owned.

+1 methodman!
07/19/2012 09:38 PMPosted by Poongsan7
owned.

+1 methodman!
$11.11 to Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center
http://i48.tinypic.com/2ykc56q.gif
I hope you get banned bro, screw your crap charities.
After seeing all the QQ abotu RMAH, this thread made me cry. Kudos to you and anyone else who does this truely a great idea and the money will be put to great use. Seriously wish you good luck, health and fortune. Requesting sticky also.
07/20/2012 12:15 AMPosted by OrangeS
I hope you get banned bro, screw your crap charities.

There are apples and OrangeS.

What do Oranges sit around doing all day?

http://i49.tinypic.com/2q3oshg.gif

How embarrassing... since when did someone's time become worth so little? so sad.

anyways, added to ignore list and dismissed with a click, i love it! What a wonderful feature.
07/20/2012 12:18 AMPosted by Peachi
After seeing all the QQ abotu RMAH, this thread made me cry. Kudos to you and anyone else who does this truely a great idea and the money will be put to great use. Seriously wish you good luck, health and fortune. Requesting sticky also.

Thank you for your support, it is greatly appreciated.
07/19/2012 08:57 PMPosted by MethodMan
Nothing about the extension of the human lifespan has anything to do with charities, which is what we are discussing. Virtually all innovation that has impacted day-to-day lives of human beings is profit-motivated, and would take place with or without charitable donations. Charities bandage problems but do not solve them. This is not to say that bandaging problems is not a worthwhile endeavor; simply that throwing band-aid solutions in every wayward direction is significantly less effective in improving someone's life than, say, giving the guy on your street corner a decent meal.

emtwo, I disagree with some of the other posters saying that you are trolling. I disagree with most of your comments but most of them are reasonable (although not stated in a very constructive way). However, the statement that I quoted is one of the most outrageous things I have read in a while. Your statement is almost the exact opposite of the truth. Almost NO innovation that has impacted the day-to-day lives of humans has been profit-motivated. The vast majority of biomedical research of consequence is funded by public grants and charitable donations. Private companies are really only involved in the development of pharmaceuticals, research equipment and certain biotechnologies. This is an important part of the research process but it is not the driving force of innovation and these functions absolutely could be performed with public funding. Furthermore, every single privately owned pharmaceutical and biotech product that has ever been marketed was built off of basic sciences research that required millions or billions of dollars of public funds. All of the biggest breakthroughs in medicine (e.g. antiretrovirals, DNA sequencing, gene therapy, dialysis, MRI, etc.) have been funded by taxpayer money and charitable contributions. The magnitude of these discoveries is on a completely different scale than anything privately funded.

I work at the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, which is one of the world's largest and highest funded research institutions. Our institution receives a significant portion of the its funding from donations and a large amount of those donations are made in small amounts by large numbers of people which adds up to a very important part of our budget. It worries me to hear people express the sentiment that individual contributions are inconsequential. This is incorrect and harmful to society if people believe it. Research takes a lot of money and every single donation, no matter how small, helps move it along. You are grossly underestimating the impact of charity on the advancement of research and the betterment of everybody's life.

MethodMan, I like how you think and where you work. Cheers to you!

So ^ and co. can continue to work on solving problems that affect us all. Cancer is bad, cancer research is good. simple as that.

$8.54 to Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research
http://i45.tinypic.com/et5c9f.gif
my question is this.... Why is the community giving away money while mike morhaime is polishing his gold plated toilet seats. is the middle class really responsible for helping people out in this world.

"The righteous care about justice for the poor, but the wicked have no such concern."
my question is this.... Why is the community giving away money while mike morhaime is polishing his gold plated toilet seats. is the middle class really responsible for helping people out in this world.

"The righteous care about justice for the poor, but the wicked have no such concern."

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/127361/ESA_Honors_Blizzard_CEO_Mike_Morhaime_At_Nite_To_Unite_Charity_Fundraiser.php

While affluent people are capable of giving more money, the middle class certainly isn't exempt.. although we have less money to give, our actions can be just as powerful, if not even more so (optimist here). We're just as capable of helping people as anyone else, $ amounts aren't everything. Anyways, if charitable features were integrated, Mike and co would be a part of that decision... so it would be a collaboration between classes, no need for class conflict :) haha.

Blizzard has done some nice things in the past, raising millions for Make-A-Wish, but they are certainly capable of doing much much more...
Was thinking about this earlier...

over 6 million copies of D3 have been sold.
----If every player sold only 1 item for 2.16 and donated there $1 to charity (rounded), the D3 community will have donated $6million to charity.
----If only 16.5% of the purchasers donate $1 profit to charity, the D3 community will have donated $1million to charity.
----If only 1% of the purchasers donate $16.5 to charity, the D3 community will have donated $1million to charity.
----If only .5% of the purchasers donate $33 to charity, the D3 community will have donated $1million to charity.

I know it is incredibly unlikely to reach these numbers, but it's neat to think how such a small % of the player base could give a relatively quite small amount of profit and still achieve that large of a donation.
Was thinking about this earlier...

over 6 million copies of D3 have been sold.
----If every player sold only 1 item for 2.16 and donated there $1 to charity (rounded), the D3 community will have donated $6million to charity.
----If only 16.5% of the purchasers donate $1 profit to charity, the D3 community will have donated $1million to charity.
----If only 1% of the purchasers donate $16.5 to charity, the D3 community will have donated $1million to charity.
----If only .5% of the purchasers donate $33 to charity, the D3 community will have donated $1million to charity.

I know it is incredibly unlikely to reach these numbers, but it's neat to think how such a small % of the player base could give a relatively quite small amount of profit and still achieve that large of a donation.
Hey NowkA -- could you somehow highlight Methodman's institute in the OP. Or make it more visible? I think it's cool to be able to give to a good cause that also has relations to someone active in the thread. If not, that's ok too, just an idea.

When my funds from my $29.99 sale come through, they will be going there.
Hey NowkA -- could you somehow highlight Methodman's institute in the OP. Or make it more visible? I think it's cool to be able to give to a good cause that also has relations to someone active in the thread. If not, that's ok too, just an idea.

When my funds from my $29.99 sale come through, they will be going there.

the OP could definitely use some reorganizing... i'll try something out in a bit.

Cheers to your sale and donation!
$7.64 to University of Colorado Hospital
http://i46.tinypic.com/30mwxuu.gif