Witch Doctor Pet Guide (Patch 1.0.4) - old

Witch Doctor
Prev 1 7 8 9 26 Next
Hello, I'm new to the WD threads as I had a different main. WD for me was more for days when I wanted a challenge than a toon I wanted to play regularly.

Nevertheless, I tried building a pet centered WD pre-patch and succeeded in farming a2 and clearing diablo. Post-patch, however, has been a total faceroll. The pets themselves seem immortal against any champ, boss or miniboss.

Basic Stats:
49.5k hp (to take full advantage of scaling)
3193 armor (3750 or so with war cry, before shield / horrify) <yes, ratio is off, fixing that>
900 +/- all resists (1350 with war cry)
2400+ - 3000 life regen (depending on passives)

In terms of defense, pet mitigation is so high that I actually see "absorbed" on them when getting fist slammed by Belial or even with champs. Personal mitigation is decent and it's possible to tank any dps affix on mobs, short of standing in 2 stack desecrator for extended periods of time.

I found that past a certain hp/armor/all res point, you don't need any of the damage reduction passives and can shift to dps/toolbox skills. The question is, what would be good for dps or usefulness to be placed on the left click skill, 3 passives and 2 "dps/cd" buttons?
Peter i noticed a pretty important bug that you should add to the front page.

and its that dogs summoned without having the summon zombie dogs skill selected. will spawn without the force armor possibly HP buff also.

so if you are going to use
circle of life
big bad voodoo - boogie man
Mass confusion - devolution
Grasp of the dead - death is life
sacrifice - next of kin

make sure you also have the summon zombie dog skill or they will spawn without the force armor buff.

hopefully this will be noted by blizzard and they will fix it.

Hmmm interesting, ok I'll put it on the front page.

Edit: And I have finally beaten Inferno Diablo! People who have not done so, you can check my profile to have an idea on what stats you need.
Congrats peter.

Don't you just love the WD Shadow Clone? Locust Swarm, Wall of Zombies, oh joy!
08/22/2012 08:27 AMPosted by Peter
Wow folks, for some reason, Cydaea was an absolute nightmare.

Yea I hated those spiders last night also....I found I just had to spam Acid Cloud right on top of her as soon as she was out. The more I focused on her the easier it was. The longer the fight went on the more spiders there were.
I got my first Legendary for the first time in 3 weeks!

The Sultan of Blinding Sand. It has pretty high Blind rate so I tested it with Rain of Frog and Burning Dog.

Mmmm, not really impressed. Blind works on trash enemies but I don't think you can Blind elites/champions.

It also doesn't have any core-stats so my dps got lowered quite a bit. It does have +gold and movement.

Not a good proc weapon if you ask me. :( My The Sultan of Blinding Sand also seems to have low damage with about 850. It can go up to over 1000.
08/22/2012 11:57 AMPosted by weesheng
Grats! That was quick given u were at Cydea just a while back.

Yeah when I got to Act 4, I really wanted to beat Diablo. Act 4 is also quite short.

Congrats peter.

Don't you just love the WD Shadow Clone? Locust Swarm, Wall of Zombies, oh joy!

Luckily in the 2nd attempt, the shadow only used the lame Grasp of the Dead, which could be easily moved out off.

So far, it has been a smooth ride against most elites. We are finally strong!

However, once time when I logged off for a bit to do something in real life, when I logged back on, I remember getting champ Soul Lashers at the start of the game session in Act 3. It was a very unpleasant experience, because the Soul Lashers completely decimated my pets, like as if we were still in game version 1.0.3.
08/22/2012 12:08 PMPosted by Jibikao
I got my first Legendary for the first time in 3 weeks!

Congrats! I look forward to getting set items in future. Now, to figure out the optimum stats first.
someone test out the 95% bleed legendary with burning dogs and let me know how it goes!

currently, i'm trying to get rid of my life regen and cc/bleed in favor of LoH, crit chance/damage.. still not sure about what my 2nd hotkey or 3rd passive will be.. currently, i'm using soul harvest and either VQ or ptv.
08/22/2012 11:50 AMPosted by Cervaux
The question is, what would be good for dps or usefulness to be placed on the left click skill, 3 passives and 2 "dps/cd" buttons?

I personally like Rain of Toads as the left click skill, not necessarily because it has the best dps, but because it can bypass the walls created by elites with the Walled affix.

Pierce the Veil gives 20% boost to damage, so pretty good passive for dps.

For my other 2 skills I still use the defensive spells Spirit Walk and Horrify, because although pets are strong, *I* am not. Some monsters will get to you, and you need to somehow escape.
So can s1 summarize what is the best way for a pet build? Stats, Skills ?
After that CC build isnt so good.
So can s1 summarize what is the best way for a pet build? Stats, Skills ?
After that CC build isnt so good.

You can have a look at my profile. I just beat Inferno Diablo with it, along with all elite packs from post-Ghom (except 1 soul lasher champ pack).

Most builds should work reasonably well.

If you want the best optimum stats for maximum efficiency, that's something we're gonna research.
Peter, what gear stat priorities for your build? Also which weapon? 2hander or 1h and mojo?
Okay so I am thinking of getting rid of soul harvest as I don't like to get up in mob faces as much anymore. Also, BBV is just too short using either rune for it I like.

I think I'm going with both RoT and slow burn for damage, with horrify and soul walk for emergency mitigation.

Somehow in my head, the calculation of added slow burn DoT makes up for the soul harvest loss, but probably only when soul harvest is at 3 or less.

Also, desecrators can be a bane on pets, used to be that they only targeted the player with desecrator, but appears they target pets, and that damage is huge against them. Electrified is not quite as bad, but with illusionist can get messy.

If you get desecrator illustionist electrified vampiric/extra health/health link, expect a fight.
08/22/2012 12:46 PMPosted by SNUSman
Peter, what gear stat priorities for your build? Also which weapon? 2hander or 1h and mojo?

Haven't figured out gear stat priorities, but I will try to get more vitality. I plan to get just enough vitality to feel comfortable, then focus on getting more dps.

I want to experiment on thorns to see if it can be a good dps source.

Currently I use 1H and Shield because I am too used to defense and don't feel comfortable with parting with my shield.

It's ridiculous OP when you can stand behind your pet wall, get everything into a nice clump and proceed to lay waste.

When you changed to Loyalty with your 1200 Life per second, did you notice a huge survival increase on your pets? I remember in your first two hours, you didn't use Loyalty. I want to know if it's worth investing in because I am pretty much sold on Blood Ritual + Loyalty atm as I get all 3: mana reduction, life regen and pets survival. It's win-win-win.

The last Tactic depends on what primary I am spamming. I was amazed by Essence with Spirit Barrage but with my current crappy gear, some Act 2 elites/bosses are hitting me too hard and I may need to go back to Fortitude. T_T
[quote="63970445146"]

Currently I use 1H and Shield because I am too used to defense and don't feel comfortable with parting with my shield.

Speaking about Shield, did they improve Shield in 1.04? Most shields dropped seem a lot better and I got one with 10% Critical Chance? I thought the highest is 7 or 8%? mmm, I better check it again tonight.. maybe it's 10% Critical Damage. lol But off-hand can get 10% Critical Chance now?
[quote]

Speaking about Shield, did they improve Shield in 1.04? Most shields dropped seem a lot better and I got one with 10% Critical Chance? I thought the highest is 7 or 8%? mmm, I better check it again tonight.. maybe it's 10% Critical Damage. lol But off-hand can get 10% Critical Chance now?

I think 63 shields always got 10% critchance max, its just that mojo's are 62 so we're used to looking for 8s