Idea: (Slightly) Better economy

General Discussion
TLDR: Remove crafting gold cost, roll them as ilevel 63.

How does that help?

Well essences and brimstones are at an all time low because the ROI on crafting is just bad. And the ROI is bad because of the static crafting cost. If the crafting cost is removed, the cost of crafting becomes a moving value determined by the cost of crafting materials instead.

This allows the crafting material price to rise and poor people without recipes can gain a good steady income while the rich crafters can determine their own break-even point based on the current market value of their produce and the current cost of ingredients.

The gold sink will still work as commodities are traded in the AH and the 15% fee still applies. It may become even more effective than before compared to the situation where no one crafts and the situtation where great volumes of commodities are moved in the AH every day.

[update] The crafted items also needs to be able to roll ilevel 63 stats in order to compete.

Wins all around.
^
interesting idea, but not sure if it would still work that well as a sink if someone just farms or bots all the essences needed. maybe take the cost of crafting out, but add a price for breaking down materials.
I made 12 Level 62 6 Affix bracers last night to see if I would do any good. All I did was lose over a million gold and alot of supplies. There needs to be some none RNG properties to items, and the gold cost to make them should be the gold cost I gave up to get the essence, I easily lost 150k worth of essence that could have been items I just sold to the merchant. But it was a test and I realize that I have bought alot of recipe's that are useless and cost me a fortune to get them. Its a gold sink that does not pay. The only thing I got was 24k gold back from selling the items to a vendor.
08/28/2012 07:13 PMPosted by Sycoticpyro
interesting idea, but not sure if it would still work that well as a sink if someone just farms or bots all the essences needed. maybe take the cost of crafting out, but add a price for breaking down materials.

As long as the materials are moved via AH. The 15% tax will be the gold sink. It matters not who the seller or buyer is.

When crafting, the idea is that you make a huge bunch, get a few good rolls and sell those to make a profit. The problem now is that the cost is constant while the "few good rolls" now needs to be of much better quality than before in order to still sell.
Need more support
Free bump, well said. Great point.
08/28/2012 07:13 PMPosted by Sycoticpyro
maybe take the cost of crafting out, but add a price for breaking down materials.

Salvaging instead of vendoring is the gold sink. There is a lost opportunity cost to vendor your items when you salvage them.
Great idea, would love to farm crafting materials and craft to my heart's content, but crafting is for the rich and the rich don't need to craft.
Why is all the crafted gear by the Blacksmith worthless crap? At least all the gear that you can train for is crap. I haven't found or bought any recipes though.
08/28/2012 07:41 PMPosted by Helsee
the gold cost to make them should be the gold cost I gave up to get the essence

this is exactly why the gold fee to black smithing should be removed. its like getting a double whammy on gold to take a random roll of the dice in crafting.
Once your Blacksmith is level 10, he shouldn't be charging you to craft items that you supply the materials for. (Edit: On that note, you should be able to pay him to craft the items if you don't have the supplies.)
You saved his life and gave him something to live for, he should be crafting for free and adding nice stats to the items. Also, repairs from him should be free when he's level 10, or at least a massive discount.
Paying 100k or free is too much to ask me when I craft crap anyway
^