+x% Elemental Damage mechanic: blue clarify!

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 14 Next
Couldn't you guys code in some way of computing the actual addition damage and post it on the tooltip?

I know I would like it better than having to do the math myself.
May a bug
Wizard and long time user of Storm crow user here. I can confirm that Add X% lightning dmg increases your dmg by what ever the value of X is.

For example if you do 100,000 damage and then put on a storm crow with 8% lightning dmg you'll be doing 8% more dmg for a total of 108,000 damage. Which is why storm crow is so darn good, I wish I could afford a new one with a socket, sadly I'll have to wait.
So....

I may be misunderstanding, but does that mean that Won Kim Lhau adds like 20% Weapon damage?
The "+x% Elemental Damage" affix works by adding "x%" of your physical damage to your attack, in the form of the damage type listed.

So, really basic example:
  • Your physical damage is 100, and the item adds +3% Fire damage.
  • You gain 3 extra damage to your attacks as Fire damage.

Things this takes into account:
  • Rings, mojos, orbs (etc) that have an "X-Y" damage affix (e.g. "1-2 Damage")
  • The base damage range of your weapon, before any elemental damage is added from the affix
  • +Min or +Max affixes on weapons

(Note: It doesn't benefit from "+X-Y Elemental Damage" affixes on weapons.)

We realize the current wording for this affix can be confusing, and it's something we'd like to make more clear in the future. If you have any suggestions for how this affix could be better worded, we're definitely interested in your suggestions. Just keep in mind that space is limited in item tooltips, and that whatever we use would need to be translated into all of our supported languages.

for your next rpg, please hire a good rpg system designer to work alongside your amazing gameplay/artists team.
game is a blast, but all the rpg mechanics are not that epic.
most stats are written like:
+100 vita
so i suggest simple solution:
+5% of your base physical damage as fire

this might be good... or maybe with 'base' word removed?
WOW @ this game...

Seriously?? This is how these items work?? These items are the only thing that really 'suggest' builds or rune choices. Like the axe with +% fire damage made it seem like you could use it with Volcanic Rune for whirlwind or enhance earthquake. But no, this affix is completely generic.

The tooltip should say "adds x% <fire> damage to your attacks"
still impossible to know in game what affect what.

rpg mechanic is messy. they should look to hire a dude who works on pen&paper rpg.

anyway, why am i complaining again?

oh yeah, because THE GAMEPLAY is hot!
the ART is hot! but gosh the game falls short at some evident places.
+% of physical damage added as <element>

You can thank Path of Exile
So my boots that give 5% poison damage actually adds to my DPS at 5% more damage? Just 5% of my dPS is poison?

CHECK MY PROFILE If you dont know the boots.
I still have a question.

If I have a 900 dps weapon with no elemental dmg, will it receive better boost than one with 900 dps arcane dmg?

Yes, in my understanding. Kinda hard to find normal weapons with high DPS though, way more rare than +elemental.
+% to base damage as [Element]
+% of physical damage added as <element>

You can thank Path of Exile

thats actually very clear.
now they need to add description of your total dps.
ie: when you roll over DPS, you can see on a pop up pannel the basic calculation:
(exemple)
-base physical dmg 1000 axe
-+12-24 ring
x att speed
= ..
+%fire dmg boot
=total

not really clear, but the idea is to show the basic math somewhere... :)
So my boots that give 5% poison damage actually adds to my DPS at 5% more damage? Just 5% of my dPS is poison?

CHECK MY PROFILE If you dont know the boots.

that's a prime example of poorly worded description. I am going to interpret it as it'll ONLY add 5% more to your poison damage IF you have any. which it appears that you ONLY have poison nova from the helm, that damage would get 5% added to it, that's all.

just my guess.
Wow, here I was trying to max out my lighting build. (electrocute or piercing orb). I was piecing together items like Storm Crow or certain Tal's amulets that apparently added "+% to LIGHTNING DAMAGE". Kinda like how a frozen orb sorc in D2 wanted Deaths Fathom for the cold bonus. All this time I could just grab any random + damage from ANY ELEMENT and it would be just the same? How generic can everything in this game be? Whats the point of having more than just one item? Every single stat-stick works the same except for perhaps attack speed? Lame and boring.
Lol, what's the uproar?! Grab a 10k gold item and test for yourself. This game has been out for months and people don't know what the blue just stated?!

FYI, your primary adds +1% damage so +x% elemental damage really isn't good outside of your 'base weapon' damage.
Ok, it's worded poorly, but why the strange design in the first place?

It's not like elemental damage ever gives you an advantage or disadvantage, all it does is change some graphical effects, so why create legendaries that are:
1) Constricting on gear choice
2) Don't benefit from skill choice
3) Sound more interesting than they are in practice
?

Why not just have "3% bonus damage"?
In WoW, there are tier bonuses that "add x% of your damage (possibly from a certain skill) as a dot" that stack up. Those are often considered pretty lame by the players - they're a flat damage increase that doesn't give you bigger numbers and don't change your gameplay at all. We currently don't want more dots in D3 (they're just not that great), but even that is more interesting and less awkward (especially in terms of weapon choice) than "x% of your physical damage as elemental".
08/31/2012 12:50 PMPosted by Hypnos
Damnit, how many hidden mechanics do we have t put up with? If the devs thought skill trees and stats were too much for us to handle this !@#$ isn't? Jeez, it doesn't take a genius to figure out we'd want some clearer stat descriptions.

hehe
and it doesnt take a genius to understand that outside the addicive raw viceral combat and flashes that this game provide, the designer lacked vision(failed endgame that was obvious to predict) rpg knowledge(faile itemization and sense of nice minmaxing) writing skills(failed story).

this game is a flashbang that blinds you until you start to dig into it.
then its obvious why unless they do a major overhaul that this game will enter legendary (no pun intended) status.