Upcoming Change to Trail of Cinders

Blizzard Archive
Prev 1 91 92 93 99 Next
500% dmg / sec is really just too much. If you thought that was okay to spend all your gold on to gear around, then its your loss.

Yeah I have a ww barb, but they top out at around 400% weapon damage / sec, and thats with ww, multiple tornadoes, and spamming overpower every second.

This is just 1 move.

The comparison you're making is so dumb. Yeah it does 500% damage a second, but it matters little if you're dead while doing it. Barbs have 30% automatic damage reduction plus high survivability AND a potential to deal all that damage using WW build.... It's not even close....

WW Barb = close to 500% damage per sec. I saw a barb destroy a champion pack in 3 sec and he is not even the top 2000, so yea?
Why does no1 understand ToC ticks 5 times, instead of the desired 1. What is 300% time five guys?
09/12/2012 09:00 PMPosted by Doherty
Why does no1 understand ToC ticks 5 times, instead of the desired 1. What is 300% time five guys?

When has it ever ticked once?
Please don't nerf ToC; it has made my DH incredibly fun to play. I've completely re-geared my character. Every piece. I've earned and spent 840 MILLION gold doing this. The gear will still be excellent after a nerf, but my motivation to sit and spam elemental arrows again is gone. Find a middle-ground solution that tweaks the ability without disabling its usefulness.

Don't nerf!
Horrible change
The lesson here folks is never trust Blizzard anymore...they so full of crap that they can't find any more dirty rugs to sweep their BS under.
my opinion.. !@#$ and deal with it.. u guys say how this game sucks soo much now.. well u dont have to play.. kool u payed 60 dollars on the game.. and if u have beat the game already.. and are on inferno.. congratulations u just played ur moneys worth for a normal RPG.dont hate the devs because they made the game and thus can do whatever they want to it. yea they make it harder.. so what u cant solo inferno anymore.. they dont care thats obvious... i personally never saw inferno as a solo area anyways. if u have to complain that barbs are OP then just makeone. and stop complaining. cuz in the end the devs made a game u guys enjoyed.. now if u guys think these changes that YOU want made should be put in. then go make your own game. u say that the devs think all the players are stupid. well if they nerf the classes .. congratulations. now u have to thnk a little bit more to do what u want. or would u rather foloow that stereotype of being a retard???? these devs made a great game with a great storyline to it and i think they did a good job as i have fun playing it. if u still think that these devs are pieces of crap then gtfo and never return.
[quote="65504263740"]my opinion.. !@#$ and deal with it.. u guys say how this game sucks soo much now.. well u dont have to play..quote]

How about you quit complaining. You don't have to be in this country. If you complain then obviously you should leave. <---see what I did there?
HI, CAN HELP ME..I CAN LOG IN GAME N PLAY BUT CANT GO INTO AUCTION HOUSE..CAN HELP ME SOLVE IT,THX
I rarely play the DH even after the cinders blooper was discovered. However, I would say that the dmg on cinders is not really that horrible. I DH has to get very close to a target to make effective use of the skill, thus taking a ton of dmg at the same time. With some LS they heal from some of that dmg taken, but its a fair trade. Nerfing the skill down to 300% is WAY too much. I'd say 1000-1200 is probably about right and would be on par with Earthquake.
What everyone fails to realize is that the "bug" was actually intended to make the firewalker boots hot for the market.

The firewalker boots will be useless after this change, because the trail is based on the same code that ToC is being changed from/to.

Mobs that are one shotting players with fire ground talents will also be changed.

Everyone that bought firewalkers, slam them badboys on the market fast before next patch, or you will have nothing.
What everyone fails to realize is that the "bug" was actually intended to make the firewalker boots hot for the market.

The firewalker boots will be useless after this change, because the trail is based on the same code that ToC is being changed from/to.

Mobs that are one shotting players with fire ground talents will also be changed.

Everyone that bought firewalkers, slam them badboys on the market fast before next patch, or you will have nothing.

People fail to realize this because in all of the blue responses, it was never mentioned once. So there's that...
Why is TOC at this moment sitting at 1500% NOT OP (not even a bug)

There are top 5 reasons:

1. It uses discipline rendering a DH vulnerable.
- TOC having great damage pushes a DH to use it against enemy lines but then as we know TOC uses discipline which is VITAL to a DH's survival. Hence in this situation it creates a big gamble!!! Use TOC so much then you die.

2. TOC requires a DH to be closer to an enemy.
-We all know that a DH doing so will be COMMITTING suicide attempt. a DH having vulnerable to enemy attacks dies easily at close range, plus attempting to do a TOC will also lower the chance of survival because again it decreases discipline.

- TELL you what, try to TOC against quillbacks and lets see how that fairs you. Yes you do tons of damage but to no avail you die in the process.

3. TOC cant be spammed since it is too risky!!!.

- yes you might say TOC does not have cooldowns and all and in full DIScipline one can do 3-4 TOCs. But think again who might be foolish enough to consume all there discipline and remember (for non DH using people). discipline is the only way possible for a DH to survive such a close encounter.

4. DH with high end DPS (100K-ish) using TOC will burn enemies to ground???
- yes this might be true in theory but in practice its a big (NOOOO!!!).
- Have you ever TOC head on to enemy line and live on to tell the tale? Im 100% sure you died in the process
- Have you TOCed a an elite pack with reflect damage (Well that may be plain stupid to do so).
- Bottom line TOC will kill mobs same as the BARBs {seismic slam equiped with SKORN). But when a barb uses Seismic Slam he/she doesn't put him/herself in danger like when a DH uses TOC while trading discipline in the process.

5. TOC with 1500 % creates Diversity of builds.
- TOC using discipline allows a DH to choose, will it be of equal trade off? To kill or be killed instantly....
- TOC uses discipline allowing a state of gamble for a DH

The bottom line is TOC having 1500% creates an appeal so great most DH fanbase might want to give it a whirl but soon they will find out that having great power comes great responsibility (life or death). TOC is as balance as it is, TOC cant be use numerously, TOC requires excellent skill, TOC consumes discipline
Well at least fix molten. It does 1500% monster damage btw
well if you are going to nerf ToC at least make vault work as it's tooltip states.. I have yet to find myself acrobatically evading any attacks.... I vault away with ToC hoping they run through and what do I get me nowhere near the mob and a melee hit that kills me.... explain that "bug" team
08/31/2012 04:43 PMPosted by Lylirra
We recognize that some builds which currently use Trail of Cinders will no longer be viable once this bug is fixed. Ultimately, we want to continue to provide players with more build options and ways to feel creative with their skill/gear selections, but not at the expense of going against our design goals or creating situations which can encourage players to limit themselves defensively.

The builds that use Trail of Cinders will be not viable because there is no longer a reason no use the rune for any reason. and while yes, after using the rune for the first time you do go a little crazy and get yourself killed (I even picked up a pair of "Fire Walkers" to go with the skill's aesthetics) but you start to see situations where relocating and dealing damage at the same time is the best solution, not gamebreaking. really fun actually. The skill does need a nerf. 1500% is too much. 300% puts Trail of Cinders back on the shelf, never, ever, to be used again. And i think that's enough of a shame to throw my two cents. peaceout blizz.
Ultimately, we want to continue to provide players with more build options and ways to feel creative with their skill/gear selections

Discipline-based skills were never intended to trump Hatred-based skills when it comes to dealing damage.

As others have said, so what... That is more build options, and we have to deal with low discipline to do it, oh well... Have you put on a pair of firewalkers?
I was having a bit of trouble killing Diablo at the end of my DH Nightmare run and as soon as I unlocked ToC it was a real easy kill... so yeah it needs to be fixed.
Ultimately, we want to continue to provide players with more build options and ways to feel creative with their skill/gear selections

Discipline-based skills were never intended to trump Hatred-based skills when it comes to dealing damage.

As others have said, so what... That is more build options, and we have to deal with low discipline to do it, oh well... Have you put on a pair of firewalkers?

It's just another example of them saying 'We don't want to tell you how to play, but you're doing it wrong'
09/12/2012 08:50 AMPosted by Yotsuba
In patch 1.0.5, we will be fixing a bug with Trail of Cinders that is causing the rune to deal five times more damage than intended. As a result of this fix, the amount of damage done by Trail of Cinders will be reduced from its current value (1500% weapon damage over 3 seconds) to the value we originally designed for 1.0.4, which is 300% weapon damage over 3 seconds.

Since the changes is inevitable, please change Trail of Cinders damage to 1500% over 15 seconds instead of 300% over 3 seconds.

300% over 3 seconds will make the skill practically useless relative to Caltrop Jagged Spike and Rain of Vengeance (any rune)

1500% over 15 seconds will still make the skill viable tactically and cut down on the dps lost while vaulting around in addition to the danger involved

I agree but 15 seconds is to long to have ToC active I can't think of anything in the game that has that long a duration so maybe 8 or 9 seconds would work.