15 legendaries in 3 hours = CONTROLLED DROPS

General Discussion
Prev 1 10 11 12 20 Next
ironically if drops had any consistency no one would complain..... and yet that would be the sign of a totally biased system void of randomness

let me help the OP with just a taste of some scientific literacy

observe something
form a hypothesis from this (it is not "proof" nor a theory yet)
take the hypothesis and create a testable predictione.g. control + experiment (A:B comparison)
confirm the hypothesis with an experiment that rules out error
post all the methodology so that peers can review your work and reproduce its results perfectly

you do not:
observe data,
come to a conclusion that is a hypothesis but state this data that you just used to form your idea is also "PROOF" without testing it

and study up on "variance" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variance

Its a flipping ARPG luck is a given but there shouldnt be such insane and unimaginable differences between players drops. 1 set item from a chest the entire time i played and about 4 completely worthless garbage legends. Nothing fun or rewarding about never being able to reasonably find your own set items.

So, you're saying they SHOULD control drops?
I find all this talk about finding legen...wait for it...dary items to be quite amusing. From what I have observed, legendary items are something that magically appear in the auction house for far more gold than I will ever be able to afford, and therefore are objects more of myth than of fact. I have spent hundreds of hours in the game, have characters in all five classes at level 60+, and have found exactly two legendary items in all that time, neither of which were of any use to any of my characters.
Lets remove are beloved TINFOILHATS for just a second and think about this. If blizzard wanted to control the AH and what items were on the AH. Why the hell would they go through the trouble of such a complex system as controlling drops. If they wanted to control anything they would just chose what the hell they wanted on the AH.... Wait for it! ~PUT IT UP THERE THEMSELVES!~
I'm a programmer and have written random number generators and have seen the rng's from D1 and D2.
They are nowhere near random. If you start from the same seed they will produce the exact same sequence of numbers. There is no LUCK.

I have something around 700 hrs of play and have found 2 legends.

Something is definitely not working right.

Same here. I've played with the files for D2 and I know precisely how their Treasure Classes are done. They seem very similar in D3 as to how Magic Find applies to the drop rates. They're based on groups and a high chance to roll to the next group. Legendary drops are FAR under 1% and Magic Find does help with drop rates but not likely with the amount of affixes applied to the equip. That's a whole different roll. But correct me if I'm wrong.
I get many more 4 affix equips opposed to 6 affixes.
10/16/2012 01:31 PMPosted by shoted
Lets remove are beloved TINFOILHATS for just a second and think about this. If blizzard wanted to control the AH and what items were on the AH. Why the hell would they go through the trouble of such a complex system as controlling drops. If they wanted to control anything they would just chose what the hell they wanted on the AH.... Wait for it! ~PUT IT UP THERE THEMSELVES!~

Do you actually believe that none of the items on Ah or RMAH are from blizzard staff?
10/16/2012 01:28 PMPosted by Shvanstucka
I find all this talk about finding legen...wait for it...dary items to be quite amusing. From what I have observed, legendary items are something that magically appear in the auction house for far more gold than I will ever be able to afford, and therefore are objects more of myth than of fact. I have spent hundreds of hours in the game, have characters in all five classes at level 60+, and have found exactly two legendary items in all that time, neither of which were of any use to any of my characters.

I've found that at about 175-200% magic find in Act 3 I tend to feel like I'm finding them much more often (i.e. 1 every 4-12 runs). With the double drop rate one would expect to find them in half the number of runs and maybe a little of the variance will go away. By looking at your profile it doesn't seem that you've spent much time farming at 60. Since NV and paragon levels play so much into how much MF you have, I wouldn't expect you to have found many.
Oddly enough I got 2 legendarys and an set last night as well, an ivory tower, some crappy ilvl 62 mace/axe, and an IK chest.
I'm a programmer and have written random number generators and have seen the rng's from D1 and D2.
They are nowhere near random. If you start from the same seed they will produce the exact same sequence of numbers. There is no LUCK.

I have something around 700 hrs of play and have found 2 legends.

Something is definitely not working right.

While that is usually how seeded random number generators work, often games will generate the seed based on the system clock when some event occurs. For example, maybe they take the seed when you open the game itself or when you each time you start a game. This keeps it pretty random in practice. Truly random generators are tricky to program. I can't think of any off the top of my head but the best ones I've heard of utilize variations in temperatures and other physically based methods.
Just before patch 1.04 hit I had a windforce and that really good mace drop for me within 30 minutes of each other - unforunately it was pre 1.04 so they sucked.
Blizzard would go and turn this numbers on and off on account base, meaning they will switch your loot from 9 to 1 and you are done for, no more proper affixes, set items or legendary for you until they switch it back (blacklisting your account)
This is done mostly to those who "dare" to face D3 on the forums, to force the player quit.

citation needed

I am the worse and most RUDE MOUTH here in D3 and jsut yesterday I found a Legendary and made millions.

I don't think Blizz is switching anything anywhere otherwise I'd be the first to have found 0. Just helping you cite.
Legendary drops, set items, rares...these things can drop as often as you want in-game but actually finding a "useful" one for your toon is another.

RNG or whatever, everything is set in variables under long strings of code, matching certain conditions, arguments or conflicts per programmable line.

To claim it being manipulated in a way, it cannot be denied. After all, if there is no control, there wouldn't be drops at all or it'll rain drops after 1 mob is killed.

So there is no surprise in people questioning/blaming the programmers/developers about controlling drop rates. It is only natural since it's a game being run in cyberspace.

As for those people asking for "proof/evidence", if you know something about how games are programmed / have stumbled on one of those private server files for ANY game out there, it'll be so obvious how the codes manipulate drop rates, exp, gold drops, etc. For simplicity, simply look at how a web page is brought to life by html, css, java, etc to make it appear and react to user interactions. Ever played one of those browser rpg games? It works in a similar way.

To sum things up, there is no way to verify or deny the current accusations but in the end, we as the players have paid for the said "service" and that "service" can also be changed/modified according to Blizzard as they see fit. If by any time anyone who has bought the game refuses to accept the "agreement", the user(s) always have the option of terminating the said "agreement" by uninstalling the game or asking Blizzard to remove his/her account permanently. It is written in the ToS.

We only have a privilege but not a right to play.

Note: Don't know if citations are needed since I barely post on the forums nor read players' article whining about game mechanics, drop rates, etc. but the so-called gamers of this era simply whine too much.

Sometimes I have to wonder what will this era's whiners do if they were to live in the older generation of gaming where save slots were non-existent.
Mango, when my barb was in the 50s levels, he was equipped with 200+% magic find. Once I got to level 60 and inferno, I had to sacrifice the mf gear for gear with enough resistances to allow me to survive for more than one second. To get gear that has both attributes costs more gold than the sum total of all gold I have found to date, and I refuse to give into the !@#$ spammers who try to friend me every day with their websites to buy gold.
In a an economic system as unique as the D3 Ah/RMAH market it would be stupid of Blizzard to not have a control on droprates.

Drops should be controlled, because you can't prevent the market from crashing if you have no control.

The Problem I have is that I feel this control needs to be disclosed, and should only be allowed to be changed by someone with higher than 12th grade education. Which from what I can tell on the forums, only the PTR Team Blue really qualify.

The Majority of what I've seen in blue posts is illogical, and often depends on crutch links to blizzard hosted game guides with incomplete and misleading information, all part of the "control the economic system" methodology.

I don't want to see more legendaries, I don't think we need to complain about who isn't seeing them, and who is, but I really get tired of idiots with blue hats telling me I have a tinfoil hat on because I don't believe in computer based "luck".

This is controlled, because it makes sense. It does favor certain people, which people it favors, well that's just "luck".

Before anyone tries to sound intelligent using the word "luck" i strongly suggest you find a different forum, maybe ChristianMingle.com.
Ok people prepare to have your minds blown.... There is no perfect random like many people have suggested. It is impossible to have a truly random value in a computer. But what is often used for random is typically something like... the last 5 digits of the system clock... the one that ticks for the CPU... that ticks every millionth of a second. If you want to figure out how to find servers that calculate drops on "hot" clock ticks, be my guest. I am going to keep playing as normal....

Ps. I have found 5 Legendaries in my play time, 2 before lvl 60 and 3 after I started using a lot more MF. Oh and I got 2 of the same Crossbow with different stats one day after the other.... but hey that's how things roll sometimes. I got my string of 2 legendarys on a random day of the month not tied to down time between 1.0.4 and now....

The fun thing about random is sometimes things that have no business of happening, happen. The odds of flopping 4 of a kind in Texas Hold'em poker when holding non-pair cards is 9799 to 1 or a .0001% chance. That is 4 times less likely than finding a legendary with no magic find. In a major poker tournament I bet there are several people in the room that would hit that multiple times in a day if they stayed in every hand (and somehow didnt lose out) and you go through poker hands much more slowly than item drops in Diablo.
That is an amazing stat, I would like to get there, have not gotten one yet, and I am 60 (1) Impatiently awaiting the game to be back online!
"I'm going to take the points other people have made, miscommunicate them, and incorporate some bad math and pretend to BLOW YOUR MINDS!" - FluffyBunny
It sounds like a bit of exaggeration.
10/16/2012 01:45 PMPosted by Shvanstucka
Mango, when my barb was in the 50s levels, he was equipped with 200+% magic find. Once I got to level 60 and inferno, I had to sacrifice the mf gear for gear with enough resistances to allow me to survive for more than one second. To get gear that has both attributes costs more gold than the sum total of all gold I have found to date, and I refuse to give into the !@#$ spammers who try to friend me every day with their websites to buy gold.

There is definitely a hurdle from when you get to inferno to being able to farm Act 3 with 200+% magic find. That hurdle is easier now with Paragon levels but there is still a gap that needs to be crossed. One you cross it though it's easy to twink your other characters up though. I do feel that the Paragon system has a flaw in that once you get one character up pretty far it reduces your desire to put time into other characters.

I've never spent cash in this game. Many of my items are from the gold AH, but my IK Helm, both weapons, Lacunis, and both normal and MF shoulders were all finds. I had all but quit before Paragon levels came out but then I geared solely to level up and put together enough gear to start farming/leveling in Act 3. Most of my MF comes from Paragon levels and that's the recommendation I make to friends. If you focus on leveling you'll have enough MF soon enough.
Trolls are feeding each other now...