monster power, keys and bonus item drops

General Discussion
2 questions

1.) can keys actually drop without monster power enabled, as was suggested in the infernal machine blog? Or was this a mistake in the blog, and the keys will only drop in Monster Power 1 or higher, as was previously suggested?

2.) since the chance for a bonus item to drop on MP10 is 100%, shouldn't that mean that any enemy that drops an item will drop 2? if the bonus item chance is 100%, no normal enemy should be able to drop only 1 item, right?

Having played on MP10, I can vouch for this not being the case. Most of the enemies I killed in MP10 that dropped items, only dropped 1 item. I'm not talking about the bonus item being only potions or gold, I mean that several times I saw enemies drop one single white item, or one single pile of gold, and nothing else.

Is this working as intended, and the blog was incorrect? Any explanation would be excellent.

PS I'm thoroughly enjoying the patch so far. The Monster Power system adds an excellent gradient of difficulty and being able to farm anywhere in the game is really refreshing. I also really enjoy the new sentry changes and DH companions.
im hoping we can get a few clarifications on these issues today.

can anyone confirm key drops without monster power being enabled? or key drops in public games (where monster power is unavailable)?

id really like a bit more info on the 'bonus item' drop chances, since they are clearly not 100% in MP10, which leads me to believe the chances are lower in lower MP levels that was previously stated as well. Either that, or the blog gave an erroneous explanation.

keep this bumped, kind of important info!
Bump

still trying for 1st key, but enjoying the update.
Bump
bump
You absolutely need both MP and a 5 stack of NV to get any keys or the plans.
10/17/2012 12:51 PMPosted by Oxyn
You absolutely need both MP and a 5 stack of NV to get any keys or the plans.

we all know about the NV stacks. But if you need monster power then why does the blog say its not necessary?

"Players will be able to encounter the Keywardens in any difficulty, but only in Inferno and with a full five stacks of Nephalem Valor will they have a chance to drop pieces of the Infernal Machine. While Monster Power is not required, each level will increase the drop rate of both the keys and the plans by 10%, all the way up to a guaranteed 100% drop chance at Monster Power 10."
has anyone found a key / infernal machine plan / organ on MPZero?

can anyone else give their experiences with 'bonus' item drops in Mp10?

id really like a little more input on these questions, as they are pretty central to the changes of 1.0.5
MP0 = 1%
MP1 = 10%
MP10 = 100%
10/17/2012 06:42 AMPosted by AangTheNomad
can anyone confirm key drops without monster power being enabled? or key drops in public games (where monster power is unavailable)?

This is simply incorrect.

Monster power is available in Public Games.
You get stuck with the MP of the creator of the game.
If game is made with MP5, then that is what you get.

Look at the top right corner of your display. It will say "Inferno (X)" with X representing the Monster power level.

I received the Key from act one while in a public game on MP2.
Actually on my 3rd attempt at the key warden.

Don't know about the Bonus drops question.

Good luck.
PAFisher

This is simply incorrect.

Monster power is available in Public Games.
You get stuck with the MP of the creator of the game.
If game is made with MP5, then that is what you get.

Look at the top right corner of your display. It will say "Inferno (X)" with X representing the Monster power level.

I received the Key from act one while in a public game on MP2.
Actually on my 3rd attempt at the key warden.

Don't know about the Bonus drops question.

Good luck.
PAFisher

thanks for the input fisher :)

when you say 'public games' do you mean a friend's game you joined? or do you mean one you joined with the "Public Games" button from the menu screen?

it was stated previously that the MP system wouldn't be available in public games; that is, games with strangers that you join via the d3 menu. here's a blue post about it: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6713012205?page=2#31.

i think by and large if you make a game and invite a friend or vice versa, that's considered a 'private game.' the term 'public game' refers to a game that can be joined via the "Public Games" feature in the menu screen.
10/17/2012 02:01 AMPosted by AangTheNomad
1.) can keys actually drop without monster power enabled, as was suggested in the infernal machine blog? Or was this a mistake in the blog, and the keys will only drop in Monster Power 1 or higher, as was previously suggested?

I already answered this in another thread, buuuuuut:

Monster Power isn't required. At MP0, the drop rate for both the keys and organ pieces is 5%. At MP1, that chance increases to 10%, at MP2 it's 20%, and so on until MP10 (which grants a 100% drop chance for those items).

A full five stacks of Nephalem Valor is required, though, so just keep that in mind.

2.) since the chance for a bonus item to drop on MP10 is 100%, shouldn't that mean that any enemy that drops an item will drop 2? if the bonus item chance is 100%, no normal enemy should be able to drop only 1 item, right?

If you kill a monster while playing on MP10, and that monster makes its initial roll check to drop an item, it should have a 100% chance to drop a bonus item. So, yes, in that sense, the monster should drop at least two items. BUT, since the initial item a monster drops might just be a pile of gold, it's possible (with auto-pickup) that you may have just missed it. If you feel that something isn't working correctly, though, then please be sure to post in the Bug Report forum so our Quality Assurance team can investigate.

(Also, I saw this asked earlier, but the bonus item will always be a piece of gear, not a potion or gold or anything else.)
Thanks
I have set my MP and played all the way to the Butcher. Great Fun. I logged off and when I logged on again, I had to go back into the 'Game Play' section to enable Monster Power again. Do we have to do this each time??

It has happened twice so far.

I already answered this in another thread, buuuuuut:

Monster Power isn't required. At MP0, the drop rate for both the keys and organ pieces is 5%. At MP1, that chance increases to 10%, at MP2 it's 20%, and so on until MP10 (which grants a 100% drop chance for those items).

A full five stacks of Nephalem Valor is required, though, so just keep that in mind.

If you kill a monster while playing on MP10, and that monster makes its [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6794983614#7"]initial roll check[/url] to drop an item, it should have a 100% chance to drop a bonus item. So, yes, in that sense, the monster should drop at least two items. BUT, since the initial item a monster drops might just be a pile of gold, it's possible (with auto-pickup) that you may have just missed it. If you feel that something isn't working correctly, though, then please be sure to post in the Bug Report forum so our Quality Assurance team can investigate.

(Also, I saw this asked earlier, but the bonus item will always be a piece of gear, not a potion or gold or anything else.)

thanks again lylirra! you've been good to me today :)

in regard to auto-pickup and gold piles, i don't have much extra radius. (just 6 i think, if any at all) and since im playing a ranged character (my throwing barbarian), im killing mobs from 30+ yards away, so I'm 100% sure that this wasn't the case, at least not for every drop i saw. perhaps it was for a few of the monsters that happened to get to close to me, but i generally stay pretty far away from mobs.

ill go make a thread about this on the bug report forums in a minute.

Thanks again, Lylirra! You have been amazing in handling all of the questions and feedback since 1.0.5 launched, and all together on these forums. You are an excellent CM and i doubt you guys get enough praise, so thank you :)

PS I would love it if anyone else wanted to make similar tests to see what kind of results they get. Thanks in advance to anyone that wants to help me test these things!
i made a thread in the bug report forum addressing this.

if anyone wants to do their own testing and add the results they have gotten to mine, the thread is here:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6935293490#1
So normal monsters on mp10 are supposed to drop at least two items if they drop an item?
If this is correct, then this is not working for me either.
Correction to my previous post- I am getting bonus drop with item drop. However,

10/17/2012 06:11 PMPosted by Lylirra

This is not working correctly. When I do get drop, w/ bonus drop, my bonus drop isnt gear all the time. I am getting gold drop and potion drop as my bonus. Or maybe I got the potion drop, w/ gold as the bonus.

Also, in Aang's link a poster mentioned that bonus drop only works in inferno? If this is so, then disregard my posts bc I tested this in normal difficulty. :p
No he didn't say monsters would always drop two items just that they would always drop the bonus item on mp10. Easy way to test this is go to a normal game with mp10 and see if any monsters don't drop at least 1 item and then see if they sometimes drop two.

Oh wait so does the 100% extra drop only work on inferno cause I just tested it in a normal game and did not always get an extra item on mp10?

Oh nm I can't farm mp10 inferno probably never will and you guys got me confused now.