Mac freezes after a few minutes of play

Mac Technical Support
This probably happened 5 times today and then I just quit in frustration. After about 15 minutes, the screen flashes to black and the sound loops. I can't do anything, so I'm forced to turn off my computer and start it again. It's extremely frustrating especially during a boss fight. Please look into this and thank you.
what Mac / spec do you have?

if you have any OS "Software Updates" etc do them, restart.
macbook pro 10.6.8
2.66 ghz intel core i7
4g 1067 mhz ddr3

already checked and there are no updates
10/19/2012 12:12 AMPosted by CUMonsters
This probably happened 5 times today and then I just quit in frustration. After about 15 minutes, the screen flashes to black and the sound loops. I can't do anything, so I'm forced to turn off my computer and start it again. It's extremely frustrating especially during a boss fight. Please look into this and thank you.

This is exactly what a thermal shutdown sounds like. You should bring this into an apple store and have them reseat your heatsink because it isn't on the board properly. This (shut down) happens when your computer is operating at unsafe temperature levels. Your fans might be broken, however if this only happens with games or other highly intensive applications then it is more likely you have an improperly seated heatsink or damaged GPU.

Please get this looked at right away.
^ Yeah usually my fans are running pretty fast before. I'll get that checked out. Do you know how much it'll cost to reseat it? Thanks!
10/19/2012 12:08 PMPosted by CUMonsters
^ Yeah usually my fans are running pretty fast before. I'll get that checked out. Do you know how much it'll cost to reseat it? Thanks!

I don't know how much it would cost outside of warranty. I had this exact same problem before, but luckily I was under warranty at the time and got them to replace the heatsink and logicboard for free. I haven't had a problem since then.

If my first post didn't make it clear, this isn't something you can ignore. The more it happens the more likely it is that you will cause damage to the logicboard, especially so if done repeatedly in a short period of time.