Shockanados to Rockanados

Wizard
1 2 3 5 Next
Excuse the horrible attempt at a nick name.

Inspired by Aphraell's video on meteors, I decided to give it a try myself.

Link to his build and video:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7004031786?page=1

After failing with Spectal Blades (they don't proc well enough), I just threw it in with my regular Shockanadoshards build with some tweeks.

Going to make this a little bit more detailed write up, and by no means have I "discovered" this build. There are many people pioneering with meteors.

Thought I'd share it to the masses.

*****UPDATE******

New video! Solo play MP10. Group play video is being uploaded ! Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRivluyKw_o

Skill Set:

Energy Twister - Wicked Wind

Still need this, best procing spell because of its stacking abililty. Basic requirements for this to stack proper is the same that would apply to a regular CM/WW build. Breakpoints apply. Use this spell to regen arcane power. Staple.

Meteor - Molten Impact/Liquify

This is the DPS of the build, 390% is nothing to sneeze @. Most wizards capable of running this build will be @ 100k and hitting for almost 400k a shot with meteors. Liquify is interesting, I liked it wihle using it, but loved the extra damage from Molten impact. Staple>

Explosive Blast - Chain reaction

Another DPS, does not take up attack turns, and can proc cooldowns and AP. Staple.

Frost Nova - Deep Freeze/Cold Snap/Bone Chill

I would use bone chill or cold snap for Ubers, but deep freeze for me hands down for solo/group farming. The extra 15% crit it gives on meteors not only make them hit harder, it helps replenish AP. Bone chill is really not needed because the damage is pretty good already. Staple.

Diamond Skin - Prism

This is where I had to give up shards, and it was tough to do. But Prism MAKES this build work. And makes meteors work. The only way IMO you can drop prism is to have a reduce meteor cost affix on some of your gear. Running without Prism and no reduction gear wont give you the best effect on this build. Staple.

Storm Armor - Shocking Aspect OR Energy Armor - Prismatic Armor/Tap the source/Pinpoint

This is the optional skill, had some testing done on all 3. I use storm armor personally, my defense is medicore at best, but ran into minimal issues with being ineffective. The extra DPS from shocking aspect is always welcome and does not drain your AP to use it. Prismatic armor gives you some extra buff if your defensively challenged, but @ the cost of AP. Pinpoint barrier for those that need extra CC and Tap the source for those that struggle with AP cost are all options outside the norm.

Passives:

Critical Mass

Astral Presence

Conflagation/Cold blooded

Evocation can be used but since the build is based around meteor, and evo makes it into the skill tree for CM/WW wizards because theres not much else to use, i've decided to leave it out for more DPS. Conflag/Cold blooded both work well here. Blur I guess for the defensively challenged.

IMO, this is the end game MP10 build. It crushes MP10. Yes I said it.

A group of CM/WW wizards with this build 3/4 on a team shaved about 30% off the time of a standard run for us. It was shocking to see, and ridiculously fun.

I thought the standard shockandoshards build was bad !@# enough and was doing any MP, and MP10 @ a reasonable pace, but this blew it away. Especially 2+ of these wizards in the same game. The screen shakes, and body parts go everywhere.

Game play is simply a standard CM/WW wizard in the beginning. You hop in, freeze/start the windup with EB going off and you stack the twisters. Here is the twister, when you have stacked a couple twisters. You switch off the twister key and hold down meteor. A STREAM of meteors come down i'd say 6-10 meteors depending on APS, strikes the enemies. After the meteors start sputtering from lack of arcane power, you resort back to regular WW/EB/DS and repeat.

However, the catch is, to get the full effect of this, this build is IMO very gear dependent. Where the requirements to get a very basic wind up of the CM/WW build can be as low as 2.0APS 40CC, this build will require better gearing. For this build to work, your CM/WW foundation needs to be VERY good because you need to stack the twisters, you need to regen the AP and you need to spam the meteors.

With that said I'm going to go into the gearing.

Gearing

My gear: In profile. Relevent stats are unbuffed

36k HP
160k DPS
61% CC
3.05 APS
650 AR
4200 Armor
1000 LOH
18 APOC

Other successful gear setups

DinShalo

2.74APS
41.5% CC - Buffed to 46.5%
17 APOC

and

Mitsaugi

45.5% CC
19 APOC

The 2.51 setup dropped Prism in the beginning, and could not get it to work, swapped to Prism and said it was night and day.

We were unable to get the build to work up to expectations @ any lesser gear setup, therefore, I would put the minimum requirements:

2.51 APS
45% CC
17 APOC + Prism/Astral Presence
and
Defensive requirements for regular CM/WW wizard

+LOH
+AR/armor

Issues/Improvements to be made

The biggest issue with the build is against REFLECT damage packs, if you had trouble with them before you will continue to have trouble against them, except if you choose to drop meteors on a couple of them, you will DIE fast. To stop yourself from dying, its best to use some finese and drop a couple meteors and continue the WW windup to regain your help. Meteors don't tick back life as quickly as stacking twisters do, so make sure you get out twisters to offset the refect damage.

Other issue is the lack of teleporting. This sucks of course, make sure you have max move speed. Again, this build would be best for HIGH MP levels, where monsters take time to kill and running around walking through things is not going to happen here. Group play is also very good since teleporting through levels is mostly soloing. With that said, teleport does get you out of sticky situations, and that was missed. Big affix issue besides Reflect damage was Frozen. This forced you to run away and reset your windup, which cost some time.

To improve upon the build, meteor reduction items can be acquired to lower the cost of meteor. These items are rare, and expensive, but the build will greatly benefit from these items. ie. skull grasp, APOC Chant's force, stone of jordan, etc

More Arcane power will help as well. This will improve AP regen when the twisters are stacked allowing a slightly longer stream of meteors. Also, this could lift the dependance on Prism, and allow Diamond shards to be slotted back in for more DPS.

In conclusion,

This is the build I'm going to keep using for higher MP runs, it is ridiculously fun, and even more efficient then the SNS build. But I have to say it is very gear dependent, I'm not sure how it will work @ lower MPs and @ lower gear settings. Molten impact is by far the best, meteor shower and star pact are not as potent. APS is even MORE important here then ever.

Questions, Comments, Concerns?

Thanks for reading, hope it is helpful.
try unleashed and bring back cold blood
It works fine with lesser gear on lower MP. I run it on MP6 with very similar setup as this... I have settled on slowmtime time warp instead of EB. Compensates for lack of teleport by controlling enemies which are slowed, controls projectiles, and the 20% buff to dmg is huge with the meteors. my solution to RD is a backup wand with 900+ loh and 3% ls. dmg is much lower but I no longer die and meteorsmstill pack a punch.

With this build I can really feel that more attack speed would just blow the doors off the hinges. But the step from 2 aps to 3 aps is freaking expensive. At least it works and I'm happy to die more often than standard cm ww build and live a bit more on the edge and have the pleasure of melting mobs and messing around with my build more...
11/04/2012 05:54 AMPosted by QIpcquebec
It works fine with lesser gear on lower MP. I run it on MP6 with very similar setup as this...

The issue is at lower MP there's no reason to use this over SNS. Without the massive HP making the extended wind-up worth it then there's no point.

This is pretty much a pure MP9 or 10 build. MP7 and maybe for the super high end DPS'rs MP8 is the realm of SNS.
I disagree... this build kills very fast and the windup really isn't that long. Elites have plenty of hp by MP6. And it provides variety... after playing straight up cm ww for so long, any viable build that works with our gear is a welcome change!

I wouldn't dissuade folks from trying it because you see it as an mp10 only build.
Well, I played this exact build (except with Evocation instead of Cold Blooded/Conflagration) right after 1.0.5 came out, and I can't help to find it subpar... It is entirely possible (and likely) that I'm simply not specced high enough to use it, but, even at 28 APoC, sustaining Meteor spams was simply not possible againt few monsters. I had to periodically switch back to WW for a "windup refreshment", and that really cuts into farming efficiency. Also, using EB with Meteor makes AP starvation problems all the more often. And I miss Teleport for mobility, strategic placement and handling frozen/nightmarish/knockback mobs. Switching EB for Teleport is viable, but lowers effective dps considerably. The "all or nothing" nature of Meteor procs also opens way for deaths out of bad RNG streaks.

Nevertheless, I'm glad people are pulling it off effectively!
^MP6 elites die within 10 seconds using basic SNS. The time saved by killing elites in 8 seconds instead is easily wasted again through the loss of wormhole teleport. Only in MP10 where meteors can be used to help speed up kills of both elite packs and white mob packs is there an advantage to using meteor over teleport-wormhole.
I played with it by using standard SNS, no Prism, no Energy Tap, no Astral Presence, and I'd say with 2.74 aps, 50CC and 18 APoC, you should have no problem if you get the feeling when to use Twister and when to spam Meteor. I used to use Prism and Astral, but the speed increased by using Shard and both Confla+CB is so great it's hard to use anything else. I can still release like 6 Meteors in a row anyway, so it's not a big loss in term of number of Meteors.
Though the damage and procs are both worse, would Star Pact be worth using instead of Molten Impact if you are struggling with AP?
^No. The only point to the build is the extreme burst damage per attack turn that you obtain from molten impact.

Star pact uses the same attack turns as molten impact. For half the damage.

If you don't have to excess AP enough for molten impact, I don't really think this build is worth your efforts.
I think 30 apocs and at least -5 to meteors is need to run well like I saw in aph's videos.
^I tried this this a variant. Stretch time instead of armour spell. Through on a cheap lacuni I was flipping.

55cc
3.02 aps
30 APoC

Was enough to run without any -AP to meteor. That was enough of an AP surplus that even against a single target I could cast 2-3 twisters, then 4-6 molten impacts. Then 2-3 more twisters. Repeat at will. Freeze was fairly strong, and with bubble stunting movement it was enough.

To do so without bubble would take some serious effing gearing however.

Personally I think this build should be multiplayer only. Have someone run normal SNS set up for pure, unadulterated freeze-lock. Then have the second wiz using meteor/twister with stretch time instead of frost nova.

The SNS player will deal ~9x dps and freeze solid. They will contribute +15% dps with nova for the meteor player to just spam 2+ molten impacts a second with shocking aspect and EB and Shards. My math says you could see upwards of 20x paper dps if you don't waste any attack turns on nova.

Two 125k wizards could put over 4m dps on the table. They'd only have 85% hp to deal with (170/2) and obtain max MF and 100% bonus items for their trouble.
What about using meteor shower?

Personally I think this build should be multiplayer only. Have someone run normal SNS set up for pure, unadulterated freeze-lock. Then have the second wiz using meteor/twister with stretch time instead of frost nova.

The SNS player will deal ~9x dps and freeze solid. They will contribute +15% dps with nova for the meteor player to just spam 2+ molten impacts a second with shocking aspect and EB and Shards. My math says you could see upwards of 20x paper dps if you don't waste any attack turns on nova.

Two 125k wizards could put over 4m dps on the table. They'd only have 85% hp to deal with (170/2) and obtain max MF and 100% bonus items for their trouble.

This is what a friend and I do and it seriously kicks some !@#$.
11/04/2012 08:24 AMPosted by Maysrill
Though the damage and procs are both worse, would Star Pact be worth using instead of Molten Impact if you are struggling with AP?

11/04/2012 08:48 AMPosted by Darion
What about using meteor shower?

Shower and Star pact, both take up a attack turn, it does not deal enough damage compared to molten impact.

11/04/2012 07:13 AMPosted by novice
I played with it by using standard SNS, no Prism, no Energy Tap, no Astral Presence, and I'd say with 2.74 aps, 50CC and 18 APoC, you should have no problem if you get the feeling when to use Twister and when to spam Meteor. I used to use Prism and Astral, but the speed increased by using Shard and both Confla+CB is so great it's hard to use anything else. I can still release like 6 Meteors in a row anyway, so it's not a big loss in term of number of Meteors.

Sorry Novice, this is hard to believe and tested it does not work as effectively without Prism. I can't imagine without Prism AND Astral prescene that this could work @ all.

The thing I noticed about this build, is that with high enough APS and high enough CC, after the inital WW windup, its not even about arcane power anymore, because you can't run out, its APS. You won't run out of arcane power @ full windup, and that leaves you 6 seconds to rain hell, but this requres the APS to drop as many meteors as possible. Without the attack speed it will take longer the windup, and you will drop less meteors, thats really the only difference.

11/04/2012 08:31 AMPosted by Aimless
I think 30 apocs and at least -5 to meteors is need to run well like I saw in aph's videos.

This probably helps with a faster windup because it'll take less twisters to keep the arcane power coming back. Trust me it is perfectly viable and extremely effective.

I wish I had reduction on meteor and more arcane power, I was messing with some skills and then I got it to work without changing or adding any gear.

^I tried this this a variant. Stretch time instead of armour spell. Through on a cheap lacuni I was flipping.

55cc
3.02 aps
30 APoC

Was enough to run without any -AP to meteor. That was enough of an AP surplus that even against a single target I could cast 2-3 twisters, then 4-6 molten impacts. Then 2-3 more twisters. Repeat at will. Freeze was fairly strong, and with bubble stunting movement it was enough.

To do so without bubble would take some serious effing gearing however.

I totally agree, that the build I tested yesterday would be MOST effective @ high MPs (where monsters don't die in 1 shot) and in a party. It doesn't mean that it can't be effective solo however.

To adjust for no "perma" freeze, I would think winding up as usual, dropping meteors as fast as you, but do not drop for the whole duration of the twisters. Throw in a couple lock freezes here and there to keep the packs frozen can still see this effective.

However thats the other issue, in solo play, I can see myself dropping wormhole/safe passage for meteor.....
I really want to show a video of this, but streaming is not in life skills =(
Thanks for this Boozer.

I've been using CM/Cold Blooded/Conflag, SNS.

I'm @ 2.8ias and 50CC, 20 APOC...950 LOH, zero problems minus missing wormhole. You really just need to get your windup going and then spam meteors, it's all a matter of knowing when to spam WW or meteor.

This is the go-to variant for group farming higher MP levels 7+
Yes vs 1 target it's a bit hard, but with 2 or more I managed to pull about 4 Meteors after windup, and more targets = more Meteors. More work is needed for 1 target though, I just use Meteor for the Confla bonus vs single target.

Point is that the damage from Shard + CB/Confla is so great you don't have to drop that many Meteors, as Confla boosts SNS itself quite well (the FW thread proved this), so I actually need fewer Meteor while dealing higher DPS.
Farming MP10 with this build if anyone wants to join....please be geared though!