The Immortal Words of Old School (Itemization)

General Discussion
Prev 1 17 18 19
This is a great and constructive thread which brings up both a lot of good ideas and valid points. Items is a topic of conversation on a daily basis, we talk about where they are currently, where we want them to be, and how to get them there. Some of the future changes involve making item affixes that aren’t currently good into something that at least some players are really excited to see. A good example of this is Pickup Radius and Witch Doctors. Sure not everyone wants a lot of Pickup Radius on their gear but there are some specs of WD that love it and want as much as possible and we want to expand that idea further. Thorns is a good example of a stat that, at its core has potential, but in reality falls short. While we plan to improve thorns by allowing a players primary stat to increase its damage, we have other plans that help further embrace thorns for specific classes and specs.

Increasing the availability of skill specific affixes and school damage affixes is also something we plan on doing. They have the potential to open up more fun and varied character builds as well as simply giving players another way to improve abilities they enjoy. An example that has worked previously is Zombie Dogs and Sacrifice using Zombie Dog cooldown items, Wall of Zombies cooldown items with Pile On, and Hammer of Ancients with cost reduction items. We like that these builds exist and want to open up even more builds by virtue of expanding the availability of these affixes.

We want items to make you feel more powerful but more importantly we want players to feel like items can be game changers. We want players to find items and think to themselves “whoa I wanna try making a spec for this item” or “oh man I’m totally gonna level a Monk to use this thing”. Improving the overall feel of the Diablo item game is something that is incredibly important to us and is receiving a lot of attention from our development team because it's important to you all as well.

I will say one of the big itemization issues that made me quit was constantly getting drops with all 3 primary stats. That meant 2 itemization rolls were basically wasted because no class can make any decent use out of those primaries that aren't meant for them. The pittance of armor/dodge/resist provided felt like garbage compared to a piece that had say, Str/dodge/resist.
oh, let's say BUMP

or +1

or whatever

it was good read. don't get me wrong, but i've read many many good articles, watched youtube videos etc. even wrote a couple myself. all those people knew what was good, the solutions were there (and are still), aplenty, just no one is willing to accept them

we now have ''marquise gem", which solved everything, so you're a bit late, sorry...

but, i'll bump it from time to time, though all my hope is gone

+1 for starting to drink (again, i presume), instead playing d3. funny, d2 helped me alot with my drinking problem way back - but these are another times, playing d3 is promoting people to develop drinking problem now...

oh, sorry, but i am very passionate about diablo series, it was like the best friend to me and now the magic is gone
Travis, nobody doubts the ability of you - or anyone on the D3 team - to talk a good game. We've been getting promises of what you're "considering" and what you're "working on" for months (years?) now. I'm getting a little sick of your big promises and lackluster follow-through.
02/27/2013 06:20 PMPosted by Travis Day
We want players to find items and think to themselves “whoa I wanna try making a spec for this item” or “oh man I’m totally gonna level a Monk to use this thing”.

You may want to check out a little game I like to call "Diablo 2"
Below:

Ø Item stats are now allocated into 3 main categories and 1 bonus category.
Ø Rare Armor items dropped from monsters now roll 4 to 6 affixes and have a small chance to roll 1-2 sub-affixes.
Ø Legendary Armor items have had their sub-affixes removed, and now have an average chance to roll an extra 1-3 sub-affix. Legendary items also have small chance to roll legendary-specific sub-affixes that are not listed below.
Ø Items now roll at least one primary class attribute

Ø Primary (Affix)
o Strength (Class)
o Dexterity (Class)
o Intelligence (Class)
o Vitality

Ø Offensive (Affix)
o Critical Hit Chance
o Critical Hit Damage
o Attack Speed
o Defense Piercing % (New)
o Bonus Damage
o Bonus Elemental Damage
o Increases damage against Elites
o Mixed Stat, two of: (Crit / Crit Damage/ Increased Attack Speed/ Defense Piercing%), each 45% of max base value.
o Skill Bonus (New) (Specific skill bonus, all skills are available)
o Standard Socket (New).
o Specialized Socket (New). Increased effect if socket and gem match color.

Ø Defensive (Affix)
o Reduce Damage from Elites
o Reduce Control Impairing effects
o Reduce Slow effects (New)
o Health Regeneration
o Increased Healing by % (New)
o Increased Block
o Movement Speed
o All Resistance
o Elemental Resistance (Fire/Cold/Poison/Physical/Arcane) – Double Cap of All Resistance.
o Armor
o Life %
o Reduced Melee Damage
o Reduced Ranged Damage

Ø Bonus (Sub-Affix)
o Bonus %XP
o Magic Find
o Gold Find
o Gold and Item pickup radius increase (New)
o Resource Stat (Barbarian / Witch Doctor / Demon Hunter / Wizard / Monk)
o Chance to Blind/Freeze/Fear/Bleed/Knockback/Immobilize/Stun
o Level Reduced Requirements
o Treasure Hunter (New) Increases chance of finding Treasure Goblins and Resplendend chests and increases the quality of loot received through objectives and PvP.

Ø All items now roll equal primary attributes.
Ø All items now roll at least one primary (class) attribute.
Ø The affixes indestructible and thorns have been removed from the game.
+1
and it only took about 11 months after release to implement this? :) j/k we look forward to it!
sorry add another 5 months because there just considering it...... :(
So, my thoughts on how to improve itemization:

First, add more boosts to individual skills. Also, vary the boosts. For example, spike trap could have affixes that increase damage, increase explosion radius, decrease Hatred cost, increase critical strike chance, increase critical strike damage, grant lifesteal, or have a chance for the trap to not be consumed after exploding.

Next, let every item able to roll an affix for every skill. You could have an entire gear set where every item boosts spike trap in some way. However, the boosts should be varied, and only one such boost per slot. For example, gloves might only be able to roll "chance to reset trap on explosion", boots might only be able to roll "increase explosion damage", and so on. Items should only have one "skill boost" stat, however; the same item can't boost spike trap and grenades.

Also, make items that roll a skill boost only able to roll Vitality and the class's primary stat. Spike trap items should only be able to roll Dex and Vit, for instance.

Finally, add either an option to the blacksmith or another artisan that has the ability to reroll some stats on items. This would have two options: first, the artisan can take any magic item and let you erase a single affix to get a new, randomly generated one. There's no way to pick what the new affix will be; or if there is, it'll be very expensive. Affix "rerolls" should cost both gold and crafting materials, which would help reduce the quantity of both in the economy. The second option would be to reroll the numerical value of any affix on an item. An item that could roll between 150 and 200 Dex, for instance, could be rerolled to try and get a higher number. You are allowed to keep the original stat if it's higher (if you had 160 Dex on that item, for instance, and roll 165, you'd keep the new one, but if you then tried again and got 158, you'd be able to keep the 165). Again, this would cost gold and crafting materials, reducing the availability of both.

That would at least add a lot more customization to the items in the game, and help break up "trifecta" items. As a bonus, it would add more build diversity to the game; you'd want to stick with your current build a bit more if you have a ton of items that give bonuses to your specific skills.
hey old school. keep up the great work.

I wanted to let you know I did a reboot of my fixing multiplayer thread since 1.07 made some of the original information useless.

the new link is http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7979928188 if you'd like to change the link in post #7

with all the dev activity on the forums lately I figure we need to keep our threads as close to the top as we can.

Sure, thanks for letting me know
This is a great and constructive thread which brings up both a lot of good ideas and valid points. Items is a topic of conversation on a daily basis, we talk about where they are currently, where we want them to be, and how to get them there. Some of the future changes involve making item affixes that aren’t currently good into something that at least some players are really excited to see. A good example of this is Pickup Radius and Witch Doctors. Sure not everyone wants a lot of Pickup Radius on their gear but there are some specs of WD that love it and want as much as possible and we want to expand that idea further. Thorns is a good example of a stat that, at its core has potential, but in reality falls short. While we plan to improve thorns by allowing a players primary stat to increase its damage, we have other plans that help further embrace thorns for specific classes and specs.

Increasing the availability of skill specific affixes and school damage affixes is also something we plan on doing. They have the potential to open up more fun and varied character builds as well as simply giving players another way to improve abilities they enjoy. An example that has worked previously is Zombie Dogs and Sacrifice using Zombie Dog cooldown items, Wall of Zombies cooldown items with Pile On, and Hammer of Ancients with cost reduction items. We like that these builds exist and want to open up even more builds by virtue of expanding the availability of these affixes.

We want items to make you feel more powerful but more importantly we want players to feel like items can be game changers. We want players to find items and think to themselves “whoa I wanna try making a spec for this item” or “oh man I’m totally gonna level a Monk to use this thing”. Improving the overall feel of the Diablo item game is something that is incredibly important to us and is receiving a lot of attention from our development team because it's important to you all as well.

This sounds a lot like Diablo 2's itemization model.

I wonder if anyone has ever put forth the suggestion of using D2's itemization concepts for D3?

-.-'

This all seems to me like stuff that should have been thought of, iterated, and implemented during Beta.
I would like to reach out to anyone who enjoyed my thread to give me another +1 in the "Ask the Devs" itemization blog.

"Ask the Devs" Round 2: Itemization
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8197580149?page=12#233

I dont think some people understand how important it is for the optimal item stat issue to be addressed. This needs to be addressed before any itemization improvments can be made because at the end of the day players are going to continue gearing the same way they do now (because nothing else can compete).

Thanks for the support.