MacBook Pro Retina 13

Mac Technical Support
Hi,

Im planning to buy the new 13 Retina MacBook Pro, but I don't know if the HD 4000 in the 13 RMBP can hold Diablo III for a great playing with decent graphics.

Please If you have the new 13 RMBP, please let us know your experience and put RAM of your new Mac.

Thanks!!!!!!
up
Hi,

Im planning to buy the new 13 Retina MacBook Pro, but I don't know if the HD 4000 in the 13 RMBP can hold Diablo III for a great playing with decent graphics.

Please If you have the new 13 RMBP, please let us know your experience and put RAM of your new Mac.

Thanks!!!!!!

The HD4000 has been a great step up from Intel in terms of integrated graphics performance, it's true. But it is FAR too weak to handle gaming at the 13" rMBP's native resolution of 2560x1600. You'll have to play windowed-- which will make playing on a small screen that much worse-- or reduce resolution, which is never pretty.

Even the Geforce GT 650m on the 15" retina, as suped-up as it may be, cannot really handle pushing that many pixels. Heck, even a desktop 650 would struggle. You really can't expect "good" framerates and seamless performance at this resolution until you start hitting the 660 Ti or 670 level of GPUs.

Hope that helps..
One thing to keep in mind is that Apple's latest driver updates (in addition to the MacBook Air/Pro update 2.0 just released) give the integrated GPUs more system RAM to use as VRAM than before, so long as you meet the minimum physically installed RAM requirements for it.

Unfortunately the 13" rMBP isn't going to benefit from this as much since it is capped at 8 GB RAM, which cannot even be upgraded via CTO, thus overall, it's going to be a hit and miss experience at any resolution.

Apple has one hell of a lineup bamboozle going on right now. On one hand you've got lower tier "high end" machines that are hobbled by complete inflexibility when it comes to upgrades either at time of purchase or later on, and on the other hand you have their top tier machines (the larger rMBPs, latest iMacs) having a native resolution so high that the GPU just can't push that much data through if using that resolution.

It's as if Yacko, Wacko, and Dot are designing their hardware...

Edit: When I posted this I thought I was on Starcraft 2 Forum as I was on iPad mini. The edit for Diablo 3 is at end of initial post. Skip to last sentence for cliff notes.

Not to disrespect Vaizel but it is quite contrary. I run many different Macs (for work and fun) along with windows and Linux. I have a MBPr 15" for one of my personal laptops (16GB RAM, i7, built on order only no after upgrades on these). I can run starcraft 2 full screen on ultra or extreme. You will get maybe a little lag on extreme depending on other applications open and current bandwidth. Also remember that SC2 allows you to change resolution but command interface and map zoom is fixed. So it will look mostly the same no matter what resolution (unfair competitive advantage if otherwise). I have tested out all of the macs but the MBPr 13". I have however run SC2 on a MacBook Air on really low settings. It is the same built in graphics as MBPr 13". If you want a gaming laptop that can run longer than 45min on battery you need hybrid graphics. I suggest either the MBPr 15" which has been awesome for me or what I feel is the windows alternative which is the CLEVO W110ER 11.6 upgrade able to 16GB RAM, i7, hybrid intel HD 4000 to GeForce 650 M (2 GB video ram, MBPr 15 is 1GB). That is my other laptop for windows and Linux. (Base camp is ok but I need a full 600 GB solid state for windows). Pop in a solid state and it is the equivalent to MBPr 15 except better frame rate on extreme or ultra. Both are really slick and portable. Only problem with CLEVO 11" is no backlit keyboard and resolution is 1366 x 768. Hooks up to 1920 x 1080 no problem but mac is way better resolution. I stayed away from the 13" retina because of only integrated graphics. Also 7 hr battery claim with full upgrades running SC2 on medium I get about 2.5 hours which is much better than clevo (although you can purchase spare batteries). Hope this post helps and is not after you already purchased.

Oh also MBPr 15" fully upgraded is around $4000 (in my opinion better for world traveling, country adapter just clicks on. Also looks a little more professional if you are a business person like me) if you are going all out go to www.colorware.com. They will take Mac apart and do custom paint job. They will also replace glowing logo with your choice. But painting and logo adds a chunk o' change to price ($700-1500)

CLEVO w110er fully loaded around $2500 (bought mine on amazon then popped in intel 600gb solid state for $600, some companies resell with different casings just search clevo number in google)

Phew. That took forever to type on a tablet.

Edit: Minimum system requirements for Diablo 3 on mac are

Mac® OS X 10.6.8, 10.7.x or newer*
Intel® Core 2 Duo
NVIDIA® GeForce® 8600M GT or ATI Radeon™ HD 2600 or better
2 GB RAM
12 GB available HD space
DVD-ROM (required for retail disc versions only)
Broadband** Internet connection
1024x768 minimum resolution

*Note: Due to potential programming changes, the minimum system requirements for this game may change over time. For additional information, please visit the Mac OS X Support Update page. https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/mac-os-x-support

**Note: Be advised that some wireless connections do not meet the minimums required to be a true Broadband internet connection. Wireless results may vary.

Recommended System Requirements

Intel® Core 2 Duo
2 GB RAM
NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 330M or ATI Radeon™ HD 4670 or better

https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/diablo-iii-system-requirements

This Means
MBPr 13" Intel HD 4000 = NO
MBPr 15" Intel HD 4000 & Geforce GT 650M = YES