life on kill question on weapon

General Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5 7 Next
11/20/2012 05:12 PMPosted by Lylirra
We don't have anything planned for the short term, but for the long term we've considered various improvements and tweaks

Lylirra....

What exactly is the short term & long term plan for this game? Not just for thorns...but this game as a whole. Where in the hell are we going?
Thorns is another affix we feel leaves a lot to be desired -- not just in co-op games, but in solo games too. It's not a bad stat, per se, and there many builds that can benefit from it, but it definitely needs some tuning before it can really be considered competitive.

". . . and there many builds . . ."

=(

did you mean "there're?" or perhaps "there are?"

-------------------------------------------------------------

And also, ideas for new affixes for heros seem awesome!
Yeah. I did. =/

Verbs, man. They get me every time.
freakin give me reflects damage... give those bastards a taste of there own medicine
too much affix ,delete useless ones(thorn,lower level)! and don't make low level affix appear in high level items(+63ARMOR? +globe heal 1200 or vit 20+ or 3 Crit or 5% AS sucks on level 63 ITEMs obtained in MP 5+),that's simple ,so do it~

U are diluting the items we found with JUNKs,IT pains when whole night's trophies are totally junk and especially when the SET/LEG ITEMS did the same!
Thorn should be any type of damage not just melee attacks. Shouldnt matter if you dodge it or absorb if you get hit by anything, everything around you should take your thorns damage with some affect of your crit chance crit dmg and dmg modifiers.
11/08/2012 01:45 PMPosted by shiggity
I have a similar question about Life on Hit: If I don't hit them do i still get life?

You're retarded.

Read again what it says: "Life on Kill". Well, WHO'S kill? Is it restricted to just you killing the mob? Or your PARTY? Or your Follower?

Before you try to be cute, why don't you analyze the situation first. It's a legitimate question.

Life on WHOS Hit? Any1 in party? Oh sick
Please also consider improving Thorn.

Thorns is another affix we feel leaves a lot to be desired -- not just in co-op games, but in solo games too. It's not a bad stat, per se, and there are many builds that can benefit from it, but it definitely needs some tuning before it can really be considered competitive. We don't have anything planned for the short term, but for the long term we've considered various improvements and tweaks like allowing thorns to benefit from primary stats, building in additional passive support, as well as having one of the gem bonuses give a boost to that style of damage. (We've also tossed around the idea of adding another affix that's very similar to thorns, but has a much more universal function and would be able to benefit all classes [i.e. ranged + melee damage] without the need for passive skill support.)

I'd love to see thorns affect ranged enemies as well.
11/19/2012 06:35 PMPosted by Lylirra
This issue is absolutely on our radar, though, and we're certainly open to your feedback in the meantime.

Here's my feedback: Life on kill should work when you are in a group if you do your fair share of damage. In essence if you have four heroes in your group and damage a monster for 25% or more then you should get the affix bonus when said monster is killed.

Thorns is another affix we feel leaves a lot to be desired -- not just in co-op games, but in solo games too. It's not a bad stat, per se, and there are many builds that can benefit from it, but it definitely needs some tuning before it can really be considered competitive. We don't have anything planned for the short term, but for the long term we've considered various improvements and tweaks like allowing thorns to benefit from primary stats, building in additional passive support, as well as having one of the gem bonuses give a boost to that style of damage. (We've also tossed around the idea of adding another affix that's very similar to thorns, but has a much more universal function and would be able to benefit all classes [i.e. ranged + melee damage] without the need for passive skill support.)

This is the kind of feedback I crave. I want to know what Blizz thinks of the games more subtle nuances.

I'm interested in what you guys think of the lack of /nopickup (stumbling over loot during combat).

I'm interested in what you guys think about placing a hard-cap on CC/CD and implementing other forms of enhanced damage like Deadly Strike/Crushing Blow? I feel much of the itemization issues are tied to a lack of a hard-cap on Crit, Res and possibly even IAS.
11/20/2012 07:31 PMPosted by ManasDirge
too much affix ,delete useless ones(thorn,lower level)! and don't make low level affix appear in high level items

Reduced level requirement items often sell quickly for up to several hundred thousand btw (you must set a buyout). There usually isn't enough supply of low level items with a buyout on the AH and even mediocre items sell.

Even just well-rolled low level gear, like a good level 20 weapon or something, pretty reliably sells for say 50k.
In general must have socket and mainstat, with vit and +exp making it sell faster.

It isn't a billion gold but these items aren't worthless unlike most items, and they sell fast so don't use up your ten slots.
11/20/2012 08:19 PMPosted by BurningRope
I feel much of the itemization issues are tied to a lack of a hard-cap on Crit, Res and possibly even IAS.

Yeah, trying to do an elegant cap by limiting which slots can have the affix causes trouble because every slot ends up with "mandatory" stats.

I understand the current intent - a cap is invisible and keeps you from being able to immediately tell if an item will help you, so caps do kinda suck.

However the slot-based capping creates its own silent problem, which is that you have to know the "mandatory" stats in each slot, and even what legendaries are available that evade the normal slot restrictions (eg that you can get movement speed bracers). You end up spending all your itemization decision time planning around what can be in what slot.

But you could imagine exposing the cap in the UI (and adding item comparison in AH) to try to make the cap visible.

Or keeping the current system and avoiding global caps, add some sort of "charm" slot which can ONLY be used to reach but not exceed the current effective cap. Charms might have "capped affixes" which would show in the UI as "Raises critical hit chance by up to 10, but not above 50" or whatever. So the idea is to use charms to "fix" your gear wherever you made sacrifices thus allowing you to use more diverse gear.

But these charms couldn't be used just to stack ridiculous stats.

Then make charms something you have to work toward like hellfire ring even could be cool. People who had a "patch up crit chance" charm would become a market for items that lacked crit chance, while those items are not good today.
Wow I just saw the post about thorns and thought I just wrote something exactly like that the other day on my blog. Only the most recent post is related to the smaller issues in Diablo 3

Heres the link if anyone is curious:
http://videogameconnoisseur.blogspot.com/
11/20/2012 09:04 PMPosted by havoc
I feel much of the itemization issues are tied to a lack of a hard-cap on Crit, Res and possibly even IAS.

Yeah, trying to do an elegant cap by limiting which slots can have the affix causes trouble because every slot ends up with "mandatory" stats.

I understand the current intent - a cap is invisible and keeps you from being able to immediately tell if an item will help you, so caps do kinda suck.

However the slot-based capping creates its own silent problem, which is that you have to know the "mandatory" stats in each slot, and even what legendaries are available that evade the normal slot restrictions (eg that you can get movement speed bracers). You end up spending all your itemization decision time planning around what can be in what slot.

But you could imagine exposing the cap in the UI (and adding item comparison in AH) to try to make the cap visible.

Or keeping the current system and avoiding global caps, add some sort of "charm" slot which can ONLY be used to reach but not exceed the current effective cap. Charms might have "capped affixes" which would show in the UI as "Raises critical hit chance by up to 10, but not above 50" or whatever. So the idea is to use charms to "fix" your gear wherever you made sacrifices thus allowing you to use more diverse gear.

But these charms couldn't be used just to stack ridiculous stats.

Then make charms something you have to work toward like hellfire ring even could be cool. People who had a "patch up crit chance" charm would become a market for items that lacked crit chance, while those items are not good today.

I feel the resistance, IAS, DS, CB caps in D2 are what helped itemization flourish.

In D3, we're seeing far too many otherwise good items (weapons namely) be relegated to obsolete due to a lack of a singular property.

Having caps reawakens many of these dead items.
Thorns is another affix we feel leaves a lot to be desired

Yea?

What about "Ignore Durability Loss"?

Only useful in D2 with ethereal items + rune words. D3 it's entirely useless to sacrifice defense/offense just for a little bit of gold back.
Like i have said previously. Add LoK use the gold+globe pickup radius +5-10 yards so there is a minimum incase you dont have any. Kind of like the light radius used in Diablo 2.

I don't know that you can just "consider" making thorns scale with other damage stats such as crit and main stat. The issue is that if you make it competitive in it's own right (same goes for bleed) then this single stat then becomes something to build around. Now you need ONE stat to roll on an item and you're competitive. Unless you make the stats similar to how it is now. Not COMPLETELY trash, perhaps DECENT for really cheap builds, but doesn't scale AT all and is beat out by ANYTHING else by the time you get even 1 million gold. While you're at it, take a look at serenity Reap WIS rune. Most people's health is less than their DPS, this skill is kind of a joke.
I'm not entirely sure what you mean by competitive, Critical Hit Damage outshines every other stat in the game, there's not a whole lot of competition going on here.

Attack Speed got nerfed, and this stat took its place.

Yes! This! I already think Thorns is a fantastic Affix so I for one am very excited about this prospect!

Yea?

What about "Ignore Durability Loss"?

Only useful in D2 with ethereal items + rune words. D3 it's entirely useless to sacrifice defense/offense just for a little bit of gold back.

This.