I'm sad about MP now

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 4 26 Next
Most efficient MP level heavily depends on your class, skill build, and gear. It's nonsensical to make sweeping generalizations.
With the current gear with the current patch, MP10 is a waste of time.
MP10 would be rewarding in future patches, but not now.

For now its simply to "test" and "challenge" yourself on occassion when you do find a big upgrade, BUT efficiency is still at lower MP levels.

This lower MP levels=Rewards simple made the casual get a gear and at least catch up with the HC players.
Higher MP = More Rewards..

Yes you can farm low mp's faster which means more efficient paragon/leg farming but the better your character gets the higher mp level you can farm in the same amount of time.

You won't be farming the lower levels any more efficiently when you bump your dps as you already one shot everything, the whole point is to increase the MP level that you can efficiently speed farm for the bonus mf/gf/exp% reward.

At the moment I can do alk runs at mp6 as fast as I was doing mp1 runs when the patch launched. It's a really nice way at measuring your main's progress not to mention I am finding much more (not necessarily better) loot than I was before.

At the patches launch it was 1 leg every 2-3 alk runs, now it's around 3 with over 400% mf incl. stacks.
to those saying for the challenge - there is no challenge its a grind for well geared ppl not a challenge. If they doubled the damage and halved the HP it would be a challenge. Now it's a just a boring grind.
have to admit, higher MP levels should give proper rewards. Right now you are doing higher MP just for the sake of not wasting DPS.

Be carefull what you wish for.

I am not even sure if MP10 was ever meant to be the best of the best farming spots anyway. Blizz said they want people to figure out ways how to deal the DPS for it. And its more as a "bonus" challange to those which feel bored from the game. No one as far as I know said that the highest MP levels are there to be eventually the most efficient farming places in the game. What you get there is just a "small" bonus.

Well said.

And recognise that we are all complex individuals with differing wants. In fact OP's post shows unhappiness with one way of playing the game (maximum efficiency in farming). Cos of course we also want a challenge in games right? Solution: play a higher MP for a while?

That's what I do, I have been playing different MPs, knowing well what I get (or not get) for each level.

Even if you substantially increase the rewards of MP10, you will still not please everyone who can run it well - simply because what is good reward to one top player may not be so to another who is better or worse off in gear. Efficiency in the highest MPs will probably always be a matter of opinion so it will be futile to try to make it equally rewarding for all top players.
The goal of Monster Power is to give players the ability to scale up how challenging enemies are in each difficulty and, in return, get some pretty cool bonuses to adventure stats as well as the opportunity to earn bonus items. Different players have different play styles, though, so we added 10 power settings so you could decide what challenge level is best for you. For some, MP5 might be best. For others, MP1 or MP2 feels right. If you’ve got a lot of supporting gear, maybe MP7 or MP8 is your so-called “sweet spot.”

What we didn’t want to do, however, is make players feel like they absolutely needed to play at the higher MP levels in order to get the best rewards. This is one of reasons that we didn’t add in Achievements for Monster Power, too. We wanted the primary motivation to be the challenge and finding a level that you enjoy. I gather from your post that you feel the bonuses given for challenging yourself aren’t really worth the effort, but my question is what would you change about it? (Keeping in mind that we don’t want to force players into the higher MP levels.)
The goal of Monster Power is to give players the ability to scale up how challenging enemies are in each difficulty and, in return, get some pretty cool bonuses to adventure stats as well as the opportunity to earn bonus items. Different players have different play styles, though, so we added 10 power settings so you could decide what challenge level is best for you. For some, MP5 might be best. For others, MP1 or MP2 feels right. If you’ve got a lot of supporting gear, maybe MP7 or MP8 is your so-called “sweet spot.”

What we didn’t want to do, however, is make players feel like they absolutely needed to play at the higher MP levels in order to get the best rewards. This is one of reasons that we didn’t add in Achievements for Monster Power, too. We wanted the primary motivation to be the challenge and finding a level that you enjoy. I gather from your post that you feel the bonuses given for challenging yourself aren’t really worth the effort, but my question is what would you change about it? (Keeping in mind that we don’t want to force players into the higher MP levels.)

There should be increases in the bonuses for everything with the higher level MP. MP5/6 is much MUCH more difficult than MP1, but it feels like the reward for going on that high MP isn't noticeable.
Monster power is broken imo. Mobs health too high and damage too low. If I can survive the damage of a mp10 mob why should I have to sit there for 10mins spamming the same attack? So boring!! Upping dps another 10k - 20k does not make much difference, you have to have approx 300k dps if you want to make mp10 viable and even then it's still a grind.

Make damage higher and make mob HP scale less at MP6 and up.

Also I find more legendaries with better affixes at mp1 than I do at mp5. I have exactly 400%MF with my merc at MP5 and it makes no difference!! Infact longer runs with less loot = frustrating as hell! MF seems like the most useless component of this whole game! Every 50- 100% more MF there should be some noticeable difference.

I stopped bothering with MF before patch 1.0.5, the only reason I have any MF at all is because of paragon and a couple of bits of essential gear that rolled MF and obviously the mp lvl.

Ive been thinking it might be nice if there was another factor in MP than just damage, and hp. Mob Density. If you split the difficulty bump up between those three things (resulting in less tough damage/hp wise monsters, but much more of them) would make things both more efficient and more fun.

I mean, the best moments are when you totally massacre like 20 or 30 monsters, elites provide occasional speedbumps, but really the majority is fighting/slaughtering trash white mobs. Increase monster density (both white mobs and elites) and lower the other difficulty increases accordingly.
The bonus you get for higher monster power is not good enough. If you have gear good enough to farm mp5 with good speed, there isn't enough incentive to do that compared to farming mp2 with GREAT speed.

The difference in rewards is not great enough to do it even if you can. Experience needs to scale higher with mp because of the time involved with increased hp.

I like the challenge of mp7-10, but it feels like I'm wasting time because honestly there isn't a noticeable difference with loot between mp2 to mp7. I don't get "better" items. I don't get more legendaries. I don't get more exp/hr.

It just takes longer.

MP is a good concept but the scaling of mf and exp make higher levels pointless.
The bonus you get for higher monster power is not good enough. If you have gear good enough to farm mp5 with good speed, there isn't enough incentive to do that compared to farming mp2 with GREAT speed.

The difference in rewards is not great enough to do it even if you can. Experience needs to scale higher with mp because of the time involved with increased hp.

I like the challenge of mp7-10, but it feels like I'm wasting time because honestly there isn't a noticeable difference with loot between mp2 to mp7. I don't get "better" items. I don't get more legendaries. I don't get more exp/hr.

It just takes longer.

MP is a good concept but the scaling of mf and exp make higher levels pointless.

the density thing is an awesome idea

I totally get this philosophy but I think tying achievements to MP levels is exactly what's needed here. It doesn't really give people any advantage over others in terms of gear and gold, in fact it is less efficient for that. But it DOES give you a compelling reason to attempt higher MP levels. The show-off factor is a fun part of the game so why not have people gain achievements for high MP? There's nothing wrong with encouraging players to challenge themselves, it's still totally optional.

I know you don't want to force people who are too weak for higher MP to feel obligated to play high MP. That's fine.

However, the opposite effect is taking place. People who want to play high MP for the challenge are being forced to play low MP, because the bonuses for high MP aren't even close to making up for the discrepancy in clearing speeds. Even for the best players out there, low MP is the way to go for fast loot and exp. And we don't consider fast clearing + face rolling mobs to be fun, we just do it because we have to. What we consider fun is being constantly challenged to use strategy and quick thinking to stay alive. This is only available in high MP.

We need a way to make high MP just as rewarding as low MP. At the moment, it is far less rewarding.

One thing that might help a lot is to make the MF, GF, and EXP bonuses multiplicative, rather than additive with our base bonuses. The reason behind this is as follows. The higher MF you already have, the more marginal each MP addition bonus will become. Thus, if you're maxed (as most high paragon players are), the MP bonuses are insignificant, and the longer clearing time it forces just makes doing them a waste of time. This wouldn't be the case with multiplicative bonuses.

I really wish devs would listen to the players instead of doing their own thing and ASSUMING we will just love it and accept it. Your game is going to die if you keep telling us what is fun and what is not fun. Get a clue
Also: increasing monster density with higher MP opens up more areas to play. Right now everybody smart is farming act 3 on low MP, why? Monster density. You kill more things faster and get more xp/drop-chances per hour in a monster dense area than you would get doing straight up butcher runs. Act 4 is largely ignored due to the difficulty of getting 5 stacks quickly and capitalizing on the extra rare drop.

If monster density were increased (along with a redistribution of the difficulty percentage increases) with higher levels of MP these areas would open up and the game would be less of a bore. I mean, I like killing stuff, but seeing the same areas over and over is tedious.
11/13/2012 09:51 PMPosted by NeLLy
Exactly its a shame that you do not get rewarded for challenging your self....

The reward IS the challenge.

Many people wanted a challenge... so Bliz supplied a challenge. You can farm recklessly in lower MPs... it's a personal opinion, but I think farming generally should NOT be challenging. They are totally different styles of play.
So if some one runs mp10 dying hundreds of time per hour, they should gain more exp? I aggree, theres a balance issue, but handing out exp is not the answer.

Guys, the problem with MP isn't about key farming. We all know it's better to key farm at higher MP's. The issue is that MP is not only for key farming. That's why they give you bonus to MF/GF/XP and % extra item to drop with each MP.

The issue is that gearing for higher MP's is a complete waste of time. You always gain more xp and loot per hour at the lower MP's because the XP bonus and rewards do not scale appropriately with monster HP with each Monster Power. Monster Power 10 for example will NEVER be a good place to farm.

They need to reward players for doing more challenging (and significantly longer runs) with way more XP and rewards. Seriously, you should be gaining more XP per hour with each successive MP level, not setting it to MP0 till Paragon 100.

The system had good ideas but was very poorly implemented. It's as if the dev team is always so scared of handing out items and rewards to players so they do it in peace meal format to try and not over compensate. Result is the backwards system we have now.

It needs a fix.

I appreciate that you are asking for what we would like to see, but I'm still a bit perturbed at yesterdays fiasco with the servers. I would like to know why it took ALL DAY to do "regular maintenace".

I also would like for you guys to provide more updates on this site and not just Twitter. Not all of us use Twitter. This site seems to be the appropriate place for updates. Most of us understand unforeseen issues. I for one just appreciate being updated and not left in the dark.

My apologies for highjacking this thread a bit, but I see many threads that are just ignored regarding these matters.

Thanks,
Make the game logical. Higher MF should yield greater reward. With high MF, the game still feels like a slot machine in vegas.

P.S. Hire better developers please.