Perfecting the Act3 run - an empirical study

Wizard
Prev 1 3 4 5
Taken from diablo3blog, the reason Keeps are inferior to Craters for XP even if great to maintain Archon:
ACT III
3375 XP – Demon Trooper, Fallen Mongrel, Dark Skeletal Bowman, Skeletal Marauder, Icy Quillback
4500 XP – Fallen Prophet, Fallen Grunt, Soul Ripper, Swift Skull Cleaver, Blood Clan Warrior, Blood Clan Spearman, Reviled, Fallen Soldier, Stygian Crawler, Succubus, Blazing Ghoul, Tormented Stinger, Phasebeast, Winged Molok, Blood Clan Occultist
5625 XP – Fallen Overlord
6750 XP – Herald of Pestilence, Demonic Tremor, Demonic Serpent
11250 XP – Bloated Malachor

yeah, skellies and quillbacks are worth a lot less than Stingers and standard Fallens.
awesome find, now we have more understanding why keeps are not best zone interms of xp. you're definitely killing more, but your kills are worth less.
hmm this means that the bridge of kossik and the following area is a good place to go as well.

It's just one big circle and has good mob density as well as the increased XP.
Detailed act3 run for my HC friends

General Tips:
- Start the run by choosing Kill Azmodan quest, so you have access to all waypoints. Bosses are not worth killing.
- Note these things do NOT give xp or loot, so do bother killing them. The Exploding Mounts, the "Tongue mounts" that grab you, the mount that breaks into 6 scorpions, the mounts dont give xp, but the scorpions do. The "summoning constructs" in craters does not give xp, summoned mobs do. Basically, if it's inorganic, it doesnt give xp.
- Fallen Imps that get revived by Shaman do NOT give xp/loot, so try to kill off Shaman asap, or they just give u extra work for no reward.
- Walking while not killing is time wasted. General idea is to kill densely packed areas in each zone, do not go into every little corner to make sure you do a full clear, it's not efficient. There'll be more demons for you to slay when you remake game!
- Do not backtrack too much, i do a little backtracking in craters and keep2 if i see map hasnt been half cleared. if you back track more than 10 seconds, it's not worth it. Go to next area.
- Dont open normal chests/corpses/breakables, dont pick up blues. It's called Opportunity cost. Your time is better spent killing more mobs.

Archon specific:
- Use flamers in Crater areas to trigger Scramble rune, if you use that.

Damned
Port in from waypoint. Make the run to complete the circle. You want to run it counter-clockwise, this way you can see if there is a pack near the exit area, so you dont have to run down there to check. You can shoot stuff from the ledge down to mobs in exit area. Complete the circle, then go back to way point, or head up and goto backdoor of Crater 1.

Core
Fairly straight forward, note there's a high chance of phase beast pack here, so if you cant handle them, avoid this area. For archon run, you want to get check point near Azmodan area, so you start your run here, and run backwards to waypoint, saving portal time. Not advisable for hardcore because you will get ambushed when you login and there's little area to run.

Skycrown
Start the run by using Portal to Stonefort and run backwards. Fairly straight forward, there are areas where you can take a 'long route' to kill more mobs. There are staircases where packs or globs of trash can hide, learn those areas, takes a second to check. Just dont side track too much.
Archon specific: right before stair case that lead to 'original entrance' is densely packed with mobs, good time to refresh your archon here.

Keep Depths 2
Start your run by using Portal to Keep Depth1 and walk to KD2 area. The trick to doing this zone is to find "the square" in the zone, after you complete "the square", run to a dead end, you covered 75% of map, end your run here.
Hardcore folks might want to skip this area due to Exploding Fallens. Use caution!

Crater 1
Two ways to do this,

method1
start from regular entrance, purposely go away from exit route and find a deadend.
start from tower of damned entrance , go back to crater 1, go to another deadend.

method2
start from regular entrance, go find exit(north'ish), then when you see Azmodan's head pop up, usually there's a fork here that leads you to exit and another to a dead end, back track a bit to find another deadend. Or just end here if you covered most of map.

Crater 2
Similar to crater 1, you can do double dead end or just go north-east' ish to find exit.
After you do enough of the crater zones, you start to recognize which paths lead to dead ends, and which lead to exit. By finding exit, you covered most of map in Crater2.

Rakkis
Portal to Rakkis Crossing WP and run backwards. If you see Door open and man crawl out, there's pack inside. The Spyglass quest is not worth doing, they nerfed the quest from a pack of Birds to purple mob that doesnt always drop rare, and the trek up and down is waste of time. Rest is straight forward, just run to Field of Slaughter zone.

Field of Slaughter
There are a lot of Ranged type monsters here and the dreaded Tremor pack. So if you cant handle this, skip this zone. Just make a tight circle, do NOT try to kill everything on the map, it'll just make your run less efficient.

Other notable areas:
- Back track from Crater2 WP into Heart of Damned, there's usually a pack here and/or gob
- Tower of Cursed WP, zone is kinda sparse in the middle, so just walk until u find first pack, TP out.
Just gotta say.. I adore Rakkis as perma-archon! I wish we had 10 more levels just like Rakkis as the funnel effect into the archon beam of doom is incredible!
If your dead-end in keeps 2 is the breach, I think keeps 3 is still pretty good because it is highly predictable where the waypoint will be. Good number of packs and is a hotspot for goblins. I know it's lower xp/sec but running through this place quickly won't kill your efficiency IMO.

Sorry if this was already covered but, what is the multiplier for XP for minion/blue/yellow/purple mobs? anyone know?
as a level 60, 0 paragon, new to a3 runs, only 50k dps, obviously running base mp, is it more important to boost my exp first or my dps first?
@mischa - dps imho bc it makes your runs vastly more efficient at your dps level.

Q on these exp runs - is it worth 'chaining kills'? There is often a choice of grabbing item(s) on the ground for convenience vs teleporting to the next mob and coming back later. Does constantly racking up the X monster kills in a row contribute meaningfully to XP? I see that even on 90+ monster kills, the bonus experience is still only 10kish so just checking to see if anybody has found it worth racking up kills or just killing most everything in your path while looting.
Taken from diablo3blog, the reason Keeps are inferior to Craters for XP even if great to maintain Archon:
ACT III
3375 XP – Demon Trooper, Fallen Mongrel, Dark Skeletal Bowman, Skeletal Marauder, Icy Quillback
4500 XP – Fallen Prophet, Fallen Grunt, Soul Ripper, Swift Skull Cleaver, Blood Clan Warrior, Blood Clan Spearman, Reviled, Fallen Soldier, Stygian Crawler, Succubus, Blazing Ghoul, Tormented Stinger, Phasebeast, Winged Molok, Blood Clan Occultist
5625 XP – Fallen Overlord
6750 XP – Herald of Pestilence, Demonic Tremor, Demonic Serpent
11250 XP – Bloated Malachor

yeah, skellies and quillbacks are worth a lot less than Stingers and standard Fallens.

hey krali - would you say the suggested act 3 run in the OP is optimal for the blizz/blades build you do as well instead of the standard alkaiser run?
[condensed run] <-- this is now my preferred route of choice
Damned
Crater1
Rakkis
KeepDepth2
Crater2

Been doing this and it is fast and effective! Awesome guide! tyvm