Commas when listing items

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 22 Next
One thing to keep in mind is that Diablo III is a global game, available in multiple regions around the globe. And, across those regions, the decimal style varies.

In the US, for example, decimals are identified with periods (ex: 1.23). Whereas in a lot of places in Europe, decimals are identified with commas (ex: 1,23). This means that a number like one million would look a bit different in each of those regions. In the US, it would look like "1,000,000" and in Europe it would look like "1.000.000".

So, which decimal style do we use? That question is actually one of the main reasons we chose not to include commas initially, since it could be confusing to players in other regions outside North America.

That said, we do agree that not having any method of breaking out values in the auction house isn't ideal, so we're currently discussing how best to address the issue (without hopefully creating MORE issues for players in other countries).

Lol what a terrible cop out
One thing to keep in mind is that Diablo III is a global game, available in multiple regions around the globe. And, across those regions, the decimal style varies.

In the US, for example, decimals are identified with periods (ex: 1.23). Whereas in a lot of places in Europe, decimals are identified with commas (ex: 1,23). This means that a number like one million would look a bit different in each of those regions. In the US, it would look like "1,000,000" and in Europe it would look like "1.000.000".

So, which decimal style do we use? That question is actually one of the main reasons we chose not to include commas initially, since it could be confusing to players in other regions outside North America.

That said, we do agree that not having any method of breaking out values in the auction house isn't ideal, so we're currently discussing how best to address the issue (without hopefully creating MORE issues for players in other countries).

While I agree with a good chunk of your posting, I think you made an oversight here. Everywhere else that it shows auctions, displays commas. The only place in the AH that it doesn't delimit, is where you type in the number.

The decision to use commas was made at some point.
Isnt the game split into regions??? use the correct decimal style for the region...

It's actually not that simple, but fair suggestion even still.

(We are also considering spaces, yes.)
11/02/2012 12:22 PMPosted by Keybz
Umm only the USA uses decimials.. the rest of the world uses comma's.. so i would say use commas

Canada uses decimals as well (excluding Quebec, but they play by their own rules anyway)

The easiest solution, is to just have spaces. Everyone is happy.
Allow the user to toggle periods and/or commas? Seriously, is this rocket science?

It's frankly pathetic that this hasn't been implemented already.
I dont understand, why cant the auction house just recognize both .'s and ,'s....?

Is there something im missing? I know nothing about coding, but why cant I put 1,000,000,000 or 1.000.000.000 and the auction house would understand its 1 billion either way?

Easy solution.

1. Make it so that it is automated in, so that people do NOT manually add the commas, ect.
2. Make it a symbol such as | cut in half. This relays a break structure, without using an actual symbol that could be related to something else.
3. we dont use tenths / hundredths of gold. we only use solid numbers. easy to figure out on gold AH.

Would it be possible then to have spaces every three numbers in lieu of decimal points of commas?
My vote is for learning "simple counting" over adding "simple spaces".
I'd prefer letters...
1,5M
45M
500M
1G

... i can settle for dots, commas and spaces too... :)

Would it be possible then to have spaces every three numbers in lieu of decimal points of commas?

Easy solution.

1. Make it so that it is automated in, so that people do NOT manually add the commas, ect.
2. Make it a symbol such as | cut in half. This relays a break structure, without using an actual symbol that could be related to something else.
3. we dont use tenths / hundredths of gold. we only use solid numbers. easy to figure out on gold AH.

Too complicated. Allow the user a dialog-box in the settings menu that toggles either commas or periods to separate Auction House numbers, so each person can select what they're comfortable with.

So long as you don't go BR and do 300mil aka 300,000,000 as 30kkk we'll have no issues.

I can't stand people that use "kk" in place of mil.
11/02/2012 12:18 PMPosted by Joemama
Isnt the game split into regions??? use the correct decimal style for the region...

So much this...

It boggles my mind as to why the decision was made to use nothing.
Simple solution: Allow spaces when punching in a number rather than relying on commas or periods to avoid confusion.

I want to throw something up for 10 million gold?

10 000 000

DONE.

Hahaha. It's too complex bro. It'll take at least 5 years of programming to implement that.
lmao, easily the most amusing thing ever.

"we cant do it cause then people will think gold can be broken into tiny little pieces..." is all i got out of the blue response
Really?
You have options for sound, monster power, displays, and various other widgets.

Are you really telling us that you can't have an option for displaying separators for amounts, and default the option by region?

Really?.... Really?

Ok, just saying, I have heard this before. I have used this type of excuse when I didn't want to do something. It is one of my weakest ones.

On the RMAH, you can't go past $250.00 so just make it so either a , or a . will break from whole values into partial values. And on the GAH you can't have 0.1 gold, so the only breaks would be between thousands, millions and billions.

Just make it so you can use both. Since in one you cant reach a thousand and in another you cant go less than 1.

Seriously, not that hard. You are just making yourself sound retarded by posting some excuse like this.
Make it region-specific.

It's frankly pathetic that this hasn't been implemented already.

There are three gameplay regions for Diablo III:

North America
Europe
Asia

Many countries within those regions use different decimal styles, so unfortunately it's not as simple as making it "region-specific." Also, making a change apply to only one region and not another isn't always ideal or an available option.

Like I said, though, we agree it'd be nice for players to break out values in the auction house (at the least the values that they enter themselves). In the end, we may just add commas, since that's what the service already uses in a lot of places. We're also considering other options (like spaces) that are more universal.