[Guide] Budget Guide: 100K DPS/400K EHP Monk

Monk
Prev 1 4 5 6 9 Next
Great thread!! Props to the OP :) I will keep checking on this thread from time to time. Thx for making this guide..

Oh BTW, is your DPS/eHP calculator accurate? I've been looking for an offline excel spreadsheet for my DW monk. Thx again.

Thanks for the feedback! I think my DPS calculator is 99% accurate -- another monk illustrated a small change i may need to make to my DPS calculations that causes my DPS to be about 200 dps off from what it should be. I'm assuming my EHP is pretty accurate - nobody has told me otherwise. Try using it and let me know what you think. I have a thread asking for user feedback here:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7006346250

Please let me know what you think of it after you use it (if you do). It'll take about 10 minutes to populate it the first time, but should be easy to update after that.
Bump for the new week. Happy Movember everyone!

Hard to believe that I've had 1200+ hits on this guide already, given that it's been out for under a week and it's so )$*#)($* long. But thanks for reading, and thanks for all of your encouragement, and faith that some people are actually willing to read if the content is worth reading (which I hope this guide is).
Thank you very much for the pro guide , However this guide will confuse all new monks that trying to get into inferno MP0 / MP1 , They have very low budget , In the middle market there isn't too much dual res on gear FE .

No one in the whole diablo world will read all of your post , There is no way to beat this wall of text , It crits for a billion .
11/12/2012 07:21 AMPosted by Hardcore
Thank you very much for the pro guide , However this guide will confuse all new monks that trying to get into inferno MP0 / MP1 , They have very low budget , In the middle market there isn't too much dual res on gear FE .

Are you kidding me? I've picked up dual res armor with >100 AR (primary resistance + all resist) with good primary stats for under 100K, sometimes close to vendor cost. Dex may be low, but that's not the highest priority for junior monks who are trying to move on up. This is clearly explained in my guide.

In regards to your first statement. This guide is not designed for people who are just trying to get into MP0 and MP1. They may find it helpful, but not the target audience. it is designed for monks who are struggling to level up and finding it impossible to get cheap upgrades and are frustrated because they have hit a brick wall. There may be motivation from those folks to read this "wall of text". Any guide written has to have a target audience in mind - otherwise, you risk missing the mark for everyone.

No one in the whole diablo world will read all of your post , There is no way to beat this wall of text , It crits for a billion .

I have a bunch of comments in the thread that actually suggest the contrary to what you are saying. I suggest that you speak on behalf of only yourself, and not all people who play D3 since clearly, there is no way of you knowing how EVERY SINGLE PLAYER thinks or what their reading preferences are. However, I do acknowledge that this is very wordy and I've done so in the opening line of my guide. If I knew how to do this with fewer words and retain some degree of coherence and continuity, I would.

Regardless, I do appreciate reading your feedback.
Bump for the new week. Happy Movember everyone!

Hard to believe that I've had 1200+ hits on this guide already, given that it's been out for under a week and it's so )$*#)($* long. But thanks for reading, and thanks for all of your encouragement, and faith that some people are actually willing to read if the content is worth reading (which I hope this guide is).

Well, yeah you have 1200+ hits. You keep bumping the thing... (j/k)

Seriously though, this is a good guide. One thing I'd mention, however. I spent some time this weekend looking into exactly how cheaply you can get gear on the AH. I'm not sure, but I think you can reach 40K DPS right now for significantly less than the 10M you state. I've been looking at the lower end gear, and I think 30K DPS can be achieved for less than 100K.

On the mid to higher end, I recently pick up an upgrade ring for less than 1M (134 Dex, 36-62 Dam, 7% IAS, 48 Vit, 21 AR, +Health globes). Lots of cheap gear is just out there right now.
Well, yeah you have 1200+ hits. You keep bumping the thing... (j/k)

Seriously though, this is a good guide. One thing I'd mention, however. I spent some time this weekend looking into exactly how cheaply you can get gear on the AH. I'm not sure, but I think you can reach 40K DPS right now for significantly less than the 10M you state. I've been looking at the lower end gear, and I think 30K DPS can be achieved for less than 100K.

On the mid to higher end, I recently pick up an upgrade ring for less than 1M (134 Dex, 36-62 Dam, 7% IAS, 48 Vit, 21 AR, +Health globes). Lots of cheap gear is just out there right now.

Haha! true words indeed. This is my first bump for bumping reasons (with no new content). LOL.

With regards to gearing. I put 10M as a number just as an upper limit on how much it can cost to gear a monk. Piffle (who has authored an amazing guide himself) has geared a balanced 60K DPS monk for under 5M, not including the cost of gems. I know it's possible, but I didn't want to put out unattainable targets for most of the population reading this guide. I will, however, update the section about costs with your findings so that people also know what is possible and attainable.

I love how you've been bargain-hunting for lower-end-but-useful gear. Please keep this up, because I honestly believe that you can fully gear out a well balanced 100K dps monk for well under 50M, not including gems if you shop well. And if someone is able to do this, I want to see the results.

I love how you've been bargain-hunting for lower-end-but-useful gear. Please keep this up, because I honestly believe that you can fully gear out a well balanced 100K dps monk for well under 50M, not including gems if you shop well. And if someone is able to do this, I want to see the results.

Does it count if I do it?

:P

Does it count if I do it?

:P

Are you kidding me? You're the guy I was referencing about building a 60K DPS monk for under 5M. Do it, and show us the way. I'd do it, but I am a poor monk with limited gold and playing time.
https://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7005435884#5
I did 90k and over 400k EH for under 30 mill ... but 90 != 100. I think it's definitely possible to do it under 50.

Then again, it would be even more impressive if someone other than us did it because that would mean our guides did a fantastic job ;)
https://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7005435884#5
I did 90k and over 400k EH for under 30 mill ... but 90 != 100. I think it's definitely possible to do it under 50.

Then again, it would be even more impressive if someone other than us did it because that would mean our guides did a fantastic job ;)

Exactly. Our joint mission is to rid the monk forum community of foolish AH spending on expensive & ineffective gear.

Strong balanced budget monks FTW! :)
Nice guide.
Decided to read it at lunch. Well worth my time.
My first char was the monk. Ended up shelving him for others until recently when i had a couple set pieces drop... Ended up buying the others... Brought me back to my old friend.

Nothing special about mine but I enjoy the heck out of em.

I am getting there piece by piece. He is the fastest hero I have for farming so I use him all the time now and enjoy the play. Fun as hell.
think your spreadsheet is off in terms of dps but besides that, this guide and piffle's are all this forum needs lol
Awesome guide, I really enjoyed reading through it earlier. I'll definitely be referring to it regularly, seeing as my Monk needs quite a bit of work to become decent.

Right now I'm trying to get some better gear for the Defence slots to increase my resists to 700 since I pretty much only have a single resist on all the pieces as of now. Then I'll worry more about damage and sustain.

Here's hoping that I'll get a decent drop or two eventually to pay for some of this haha. I did get two legendary drops during a key run yesterday, too bad they didn't amount to anything much.
11/12/2012 02:36 PMPosted by enduRe
think your spreadsheet is off in terms of dps but besides that, this guide and piffle's are all this forum needs lol

The DPS issue is fixed.

Apparent problems with Armor and Vit are going to be looked into later. At this point, I hope the approximation that this provides will suffice. :)
Nameless,

So - I can't seem to find a way to input Life % in your spreadsheet. Am I missing something...? =)

Cheers!
Nameless,

So - I can't seem to find a way to input Life % in your spreadsheet. Am I missing something...? =)

Cheers!

I just updated the name of the field. It's under EHP calculations - field is now labelled Life% Bonus.
OK - so I enter it by manually compiling all of the Life % bonuses I have? (Right now I only have one, but just asking to clarify...)
11/12/2012 04:55 PMPosted by Silver
OK - so I enter it by manually compiling all of the Life % bonuses I have? (Right now I only have one, but just asking to clarify...)

Unfortunately, yes. I could make it a more eloquent solution by adding another column in the spreadsheet (makes more sense) -- I'll probably do this soon, since this would make the most sense. When I put the spreadsheet together, I just did it quickly and built in a bunch of shortcuts. BTW, I fixed the enchantress armor buff calculation problem (I think), but I'm not sure what to do with MoE/HT. I may need to double-check some calculations when I get home.
No worries. I was just thinking an additional column would make the most sense - I'll probably add it in my own saved copy.
11/12/2012 05:10 PMPosted by Silver
No worries. I was just thinking an additional column would make the most sense - I'll probably add it in my own saved copy.

That would make the most sense. Hope you end up finding this helpful.