MP10 farmin' BUILD; gear & guide. UPDATED^2

Witch Doctor
1 2 3 5 Next
This is a build designed to get you to be able to farm MP10, enjoy a relaxed playstyle, and obtain positive results on a limited budget. This build is based on pets and area of effect damage over time spells that have good life on hit coefficients. This means the numbers you see won't be as big, but there will be more of them. This build puts out substantial damage per second both single target and AOE.

One might wonder, why farm MP10? well after doing multiple runs in mp6-mp8 and getting no key drops consecutively, it can certainly feel like wasted time. MP10 might take longer, but if your goal is key/organ drops, having that be guarenteed might just be worth the extra time/effort of MP10/ and/or equipping and speccing your character to succeed in mp10.

THE BUILD
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#WRUgTY!adW!baZccc
-Passives can be modified for personal preference;
-The good options for passives for this build are IMO: (and in no particular order)
Jungle fort, pierce the veil, zombie handler, blood ritual, bad medicine, spirit vessel.
-Gargantuan rune can also be changed to restless giant if preferred.

HOW/WHY IS THIS BUILD ABLE TO SURVIVE IN MP10?
This is dependent on LOH and healing from leaching beasts. Manitou gives you 1.0x your LoH back per second. Acid rain gives 2.8x your LoH back per target in its center. Rain of toad is 50% attack speed hidden bonus, .5x your LoH per target, stack up to 3 times. (The rain of toads coefficient is super important because it is the only one that will keep you alive vrs big packs of monsters if/when OOM.) [splinters work fine single target loh but doesnt scale for multi-target]. Leaching beasts are also effectively healing you for 4x9=36%x.5=18%x.2=3.6% of your sheet dps per second; that is pre-inferno reduction though (the .2 was because evenly divided among 5 units), so (3.6x.2) .72% sheet dps per second as health in inferno (but still comparable to having 3.6 life steal on your weapon). also this is the minimum they'll heal you, because they can also crit.

HOW EXACTLY DOES ONE PLAY THIS BUILD?
The playstyle is relatively self-explanatory. This is a build that will use primary a lot, because it is good LoH-over time, and because with pierce the veil and manitou and pets all contributing to background damage, your damage per second out total can still be very high from just primary. Just keep pets alive, keep manitou up, and then when high mana mix in an acid cloud every 2-3 rain of toads, when low mana you can spread them further, or only use them as a heal. Spirit walk honored guest is also a great mana regen tool.

WHY WERE SPECIFIC TALENTS CHOSEN?
This build takes into consideration that acid rain is not a good spender for spamming, so how to maximize damage? Well acid rain is not only good damage but a great heal; so always trying to keep enough mana in the pool for at least 1 AC if you should need it. When facing targets that will CC you, make sure to have some good rain of toads down, as the LoH should keep you alive through a freeze/jail (etc) when you spirit walk is already down.

Since this build is meant to survive from just primary in a worst-case scenario, pierce the viel is actually a pretty good passive, especially when you consider that your pet damage is based on your sheet dps. Likewise, manitou is excellent (probably an understatement!) damage per mana and damage per click, and life return per click/mana. Furthermore rain of toads is able to be cast through walls created by waller elites, paired with its excellent loh coefficient this also gets at surviving those worst case scenarios.

MINIMUM RECOMMENDED STATS FOR MP10:
- 2000 (LoH x APS) aps=attack per sec ; and this should include at least 1500 loh
- 150k unbuffed dps (lower will make it take too long from my experience, also helps leaching beasts)
- 2-hander equipped. (even though this is an LoH build, it is also a dmg/mana build, and 2hander is the clear choice to accomodate both)
- ~35-40k HP, ~4k Armor/700 All res (can vary by increasing one, decreasing another, but ofc the more the merrier of all)

OPTIMAL GEAR:

Weapon:
-LoH Skorn or equiv. rare

Helm, Ring, Boot, Chest:
-Zuni 4pc
(get what you can afford; on the helm I would recommend mana regen if using pierce the veil, otherwise you can get one with crit [expensive though] or crit to acid cloud [cheaper relatively and can have higher crit value then the all around crit modifier) Check out my profile and the zuni pieces I chose if you would like to see what I personally consider ideal rolls for the other pieces.

Belt:
-Witching hour (w/e you can afford)

Bracer:
-Strongarm (ideally 200+ int/ vit)
-Lacuni with crit (ideally crit + int + life regen or allres/armor)
-Rares w/ crit

Gloves:
-Tasker and theo with crit + int roll (base attack speed mod and armor)
-Sage's Gesture with attack speed + all res + int roll (base crit mod and armor)
-Rares with int/crit/attackspd + whatever else can afford

Pants:
-Inna (for your 24%MS if not using lacuni- just need one thats rolled int, all res, or life reg (they only get 1 random mod, all already have socketx2))
-Blackthorns (if needing more loh or max hp- opt for a pair with 2 of: life regen/all res/ armor/ socketx2 ; w/e you can afford)
-rares with high int/vit/res/armor/etc/sock

Neck:
-Maras (with +crit acid cloud and base crit chance + w/e else can find/afford)
-blackthorn neck (especially good if get a crit % one and pair with legs)
-rare int/vit/allres/loh/life regen/crit chance/crit dmg/ ias etc. (w/e u can afford, preference attack speed for glove and crit dmg for neck if have you are put in the position to choose, since necks can roll double the crit hit dmg)
-flavor of time (if no other 12 ms besides boot can opt for one with crit%chance/int roll will still probably lose dps compared to all other options.)

Shoulders:
-Vile ward (ideally 200+ int/ vit)
-rares int/vit/%life/allres/armor/etc.

2nd Ring:
-Hellfire
-SoJ (+crit acid cloud) Best ring for damage output to ubers/elites when you've already got very good gear
-Litany of the undaunted great ring for the price, highly recommended for ballin on a budget

SAMPLE OF %WPN DMG OUT PER SECOND:
for instance just rain of toads at 130% x 1.5 = 195% weap dmg/sec, + manitou is ~83% wep dmg per sec, garg is 100 or (200x1.25=250% when enraged) wep dmg per sec, and dogs are 36% wep dmg per sec. so while spamming primary can put out ~565% wep dmg per sec, and when you are only mixing in cloud here and there, u can do it for a long time before OOM and it is even more effective DPS; but lets assume the minimum, 565%x 1.2 (ptv)= 675% wep dmg per second while spamming primary(SINGLE TARGET! but still scales up for multi-target)
>>>So now for acid rain damage to factor in. it is 150% over 3 second DoT = 50% wep dmg/sec (x1.2 for ptv), and since its instant dmg is similar per cast to rain of toad no real reason to adjust for that part (unless you want to figure in your increase acid cloud crit..up to you). Regardless this build is looking at 675% wep dmg with just primary spam, mix it up to include 1 acid raid per 3 sec, and that goes up to about %735 wep dmg.
>>>>>****note: see that primary spam/ AC spam is not a tremendous difference in damage out per second; this gets at why pierce the veil works well here. also **note: all calculations were for single target, this build is based around area of effect spell, so in actuallity it obviously is more likely double or more damage going out everysecond if there is 3 or more targets to attack (probably about 1.5-1.7x on 2 targets i.e. uber rak+ghom)
Response to a post that expressed doubt whether/why this build is superior for mp10 (on page 4, but added here for relevance/clarification of points from original post. )

like i said to each his own xD happy thanks giving.

Happy thanksgiving. The point is that you make false claims about how your build is better than bears at mp10. Can you post a vid of this build or find someone that can? I have a feeling that lifesteal bears with decent micro skills will blow your build out of the water. I have over 20 hours of mp10 solo on my twitch stream and I don't use any best in slot items.

It is better survivabilty on mp10 difficulty with respect to item cost without a doubt. By this I strictly mean that survivabiltiy is superior in my build when on a limited budget. Bears with life steal-- if not factoring in for item cost, and not appreciating the simplicity and lack of positional requirements of an acid rain based build, can certainly be competitive, but it is also without a doubt a more involved playstyle with more opportunities to make an incorrect decision/move and end up with a negative outcome. This build does what it says, and to further clarify that is:

(1) hold up defensively in mp10 with a lower (relative to other specs) chance for an issue or complication to result in player death (important versus ubers, and boss "event" ecounters) [I am referring to operator(player) error here]

(2) a lower item budget required then alternative specs. in the crudest sense, loh weaponry is generally cheaper its life steal counterpart, but there is much more that contributes to the lower cost to build a gear set capable of mp10. (including the fact that even with 6LS and BiS gear bears would not heal as fast as LOH and Acid rain can; [which means acid rain/loh builds will have lower defensive stat requirements, further lowering budget requirements]) The DPS required to survive from life steal is more then is required to complete MP10 in a relatively timely fashion. This means the damage one needs to reach will be less expensive to attain.

(3) put out superior single target and aoe damage per second then a pure-bear spec unless in the case of single target multiple bears are hitting the same target; this builds on simplicity/ease of playstyle for acid rain- a core goal of the build. (the numbers to verify this are in the original post.)

(4) not require use of spender for survivability, (and consequently be much stronger in an OOM (out of mana) state. (builds on simplicity of playstyle by not requiring as much micro-management of mana; although can still benefit in terms of damage from managing mana more effectively).

(5) lastly, LOH will always be more consistent then life steal, because of the sheer fact that LOH healing is not based of the RNG of crit chance. this draws from experience from WoW and other games; relying on a critical strike for a heal might work 9 out of 10 times, but relying on LOH will always work, and thus is infinitessimaly more reliable, mathematically speaking.. (0.1 chance to fail divided by 0.0 chance to fail) but regardless of the fact that you can't divide by 0; the superiority in reliability is certainly real and apparent.

Unfortunately, I don't/can't stream because I play exclusively on a laptop (and with integrated graphics card); thus I run diablo on the lowest settings just to be able to run relatively smoothly. If someone else would like to upload some videos that would be great, but all one needs to do is give the build a try to truely understand these points of superiority.

***Additionally, my limitations as far as computer equipment gets at one of the many reasons one might choose an LOH-acid rain build like the one proposed which is less likely to die in the event of lag or hardware delay. [for example, many times I cannot move out of freeze traps before they explode simply because even though on my screen I am clearly out of the radius, once it goes off, my character will lag back a few yards and get frozen anyways, because of hardware/connection latency. LOH+ rain of toads corrects for this because it gives you back solid healing over time-- thus providing heals while frozen--thus avoiding death.]
This sounds like a pretty good high MP build. I haven't found bear spam to be any on high MPs, especially for ubers. On estimate, how long does it take you to typically solo an elite pack on MP8? What about MP10? Just curious. You should also try to down Azmodan on MP10 to get a gauge of your actual DPS vs paper DPS.
Isn't Pierce the Veil a horrible choice here? I don't even like it on low MP levels because of the mana use. From my understanding it actually lowers the DPS you do because it cripples your mana pool. Granted you are using Acid Cloud more as a heal...but Rain of Toads, Dogs, and Manitou do enough damage to kill stuff in a reasonable amount of time on MP10?

I'm struggling a bit with this build, the rest of the post is pretty informative though.
I did run this morning got 5 elite to ~5% hp and kw to 5% hp, along with accidentally killing 1 elite. This was on mp10 took about 50 min, I sold spots to finish off the 5 and kw for 1m each.
1 was extra health phasebeast and another shielding blood clan ogre mage chicks too
Isn't Pierce the Veil a horrible choice here? I don't even like it on low MP levels because of the mana use. From my understanding it actually lowers the DPS you do because it cripples your mana pool. Granted you are using Acid Cloud more as a heal...but Rain of Toads, Dogs, and Manitou do enough damage to kill stuff in a reasonable amount of time on MP10?

I'm struggling a bit with this build, the rest of the post is pretty informative though.

PTV increases pet dmg, and this is a pet focused build, and with high enough dps the dogs heal for a reasonable amount. Like I said though it could be modified for personal preference, but PTV is fine for an LOH based build because if we were to go oom we can still survive, additionally this is really meant for a 2h, if not skorn a rare, because using 2h increases your damage per mana, and zuni gives you a nice mana/sec bonus; they work well together.
Interesting write up, good stuff here. I still need to farm up my paragon levels but I would like to take a stab at a MP10 build one of these days.
was online for a min now server down >< killed 2 elite in festering mp10 b4 it did at least
with 192k dps i feel like there are more efficient builds...
this build puts out a lot of dmg, though there are some builds that could maybe do more, this is top notch as far as survivability goes, and all around utility being able to survive in most situations

[for instance just rain of toads at 130% x 1.5 = 195% weap dmg/sec, + manitou is ~83% wep dmg per sec, garg is 100 or (200x1.25=250% when enraged) wep dmg per sec, and dogs are 36% wep dmg per sec. so while spamming primary can put out ~564% wep dmg per sec, and when you are only mixing in cloud here and there, u can do it for a long time before OOM and it is even more effective DPS] (preceding section in brackets has been editted into original post)
OK, but seeing how I can stack in and drop a Keywarden in about six minutes on MP8 with a fairly conventional Bears build...why?

Better yet, with that level of DPS you can run about three or four times as many elites in ten minutes on MP5 and drop a Keywarden. You might come out better in the short run selling key slots to fools, but I can't believe there's that many people out there willing to pay 1M for a lousy key and six MP10 elite drops.
(previous reply was also editted)
Theres no doubt I could farm more efficiently in lower MP, but I ran act 2 on mp7 3 times with no key drop yesterday, and said f*** it I rather not mess with RNG

This build is still great for public games (and lower MP alike) also, in a public game I just swap ptv for the fetish passive for fun usually because already 1 shot lots of stuff without it and b.c its the ultimate lazy build

I was doing the runs for keys personally, and just figured I'd sell slots since I could why not. I get into uber runs free a lot but if I am going with buddies I like to use my own machine and like I said above, after RNG say F-me I say F-it.
yay realms up
This looks like a very nice build, I'd try it but I don't have your DPS or a LoH Skorn, but if I can get LoH on my amulet and Blackthorns pants like I plan to, that may work. I do love +crit chance to Acid Cloud though I have it on 4 pieces :D

I do have a question for you though, why are you using Jungle Fort instead of Bad Medicine? The way I see it, two of your spells do Poison Damage, thus proc'ing BM, and the rest of your attacks and pets do Physical, which gain the +Poison damage from your Zuni Boots, so they too proc BM.

This means that almost every enemy on screen is going to be doing 20% less damage to you and your Pets as opposed to 15% less, and it also makes you more attractive for parties since this debuff applies to allies too. :)
I have 2000 LoH, use RoT, and it rules; I see TICKS of 7k, 8k, 9k life on a regular basis. But this build is nothing compared to my 101 mana regen (plus Blood Ritual) bear spam. Trust me, I don't like bears, but other skills just don't compare.

Despite the nerf, if you have lots of LoH (I have 2000), you definitely want Burning Dogs over Leeching Beasts.

PtV is one of the worst passives IMO. Am I like the only person who understands how important mana regen is for a WD? I didn't look at the gear he suggested, but it had better be 80+ mana regen for sure. I have 101 like I said, and my bears still drain it down. I saw a WD a couple days ago with no mana regen gear, AC, bears, AND PtV! I couldn't believe it.
(@Packers FTW)

Bear Loh coefficient is terrible, and posititonal requirement practically couldn't be worse. Pierce the veil is a well chosen passive for a pet orientated and primary spam build as such; but is not a necessary piece of the build for viability as mentioned. If you have a lot of dps leaching beasts out heal burning dogs by an !@# ton, burning dogs proc coeffecient is .01 I believe.

Lets think 1% of our massive LoH (~20 loh) or 50% of 19k white hits and 80k crits (well actually (50/40)% (40=5 units [4dog 1 you]x 5 [inferno life stead reduce] still end up with 400 hp returned minimum per zombie dog hit. BURNING DOGS RETURNS LESS HP/SEC AND ARE MUCH MORE SQUISHY.

(i.e. on MP10, any other rune for dogs would die rapidly unless using fierce loyalty)

Please don't spread more misinformation in my thread, PackersFTW, feel free to make your own with whatever whimsical nonsense you feel like assembling.
This looks like a very nice build, I'd try it but I don't have your DPS or a LoH Skorn, but if I can get LoH on my amulet and Blackthorns pants like I plan to, that may work. I do love +crit chance to Acid Cloud though I have it on 4 pieces :D

I do have a question for you though, why are you using Jungle Fort instead of Bad Medicine? The way I see it, two of your spells do Poison Damage, thus proc'ing BM, and the rest of your attacks and pets do Physical, which gain the +Poison damage from your Zuni Boots, so they too proc BM.

This means that almost every enemy on screen is going to be doing 20% less damage to you and your Pets as opposed to 15% less, and it also makes you more attractive for parties since this debuff applies to allies too. :)

(@Hex)

Jungle fort is up before I run into a pack/mob, or while I am running through (avoiding). Bad medicine only lasts for 3 seconds. These are the two primary reasons. i.e. I may not hit every enemy on my screen within 3 secs, or I may prefer not to even in certain situations. and rather at the very least I would not want to be obligated to do so in order to keep up a defensive buff.

also side note, I found inna's to be the optimal 2nd move speed item for max damage (meaning you want that LoH skorn and maybe some on necklace too etc.) Setting up with Inna's and strongarms cost me less then the blackthorn lacuni setup, and yielded a ~18k DPS upgrade. However both are still viable, the blackthorns if rolled with all resis/regen life can be very excellenet defenseive pants.
also few updates and formatting modifications made to original post.