Auction flaw: the bid 3secs before the end

General Discussion
Prev 1 4 5 6 19 Next
11/16/2012 11:50 AMPosted by Alec
it always end at 1 thing HIGHEST Bidder wins all.

In the example I provided, the leader cannot increase his bid when he sees that current bid is getting his bid, even if he has a money to add.

Folks. I am asking about ability for leader to increase his bid either reseting auc timer to 60sec, either adding feature "increase your bid"

Stop pushing your terrible LIES, OP!

You can increase your own maxbid even if you are leading.
Oddly enough I bought some gloves last night in my sleep...
Put in my max bid before I went to bed...
Woke and drank coffee while collecting my refund and my purchase...

Whether you think the system is broken or not, one must simply understand the system itself and do what is necessary within the constraints of the system.
Oddly enough I bought some gloves last night in my sleep...
Put in my max bid before I went to bed...
Woke and drank coffee while collecting my refund and my purchase...

Whether you think the system is broken or not, one must simply understand the system itself and do what is necessary within the constraints of the system.

This. Overnight maxbids works perfectly fine. You can win some imba items like that!
I usually put out several hundreds of millions worth of maxbids on 100 or so items every night before going to sleep. I win like 10-20 usually. Then resell them for raw profit with buyouts.

The solution: as in real auction: if lot leader was changed less than 60 seconds before the end, reset the timer to 60sec again.

+1 this is the auction system I'm used to in other games where real money is online currency.
You have 36 hours to bid what something is worth. If you don't win you don't deserve to.
I tend to waint til last possible minute to bid on items, is better than bidding back and forth raising the price. I try to bid on things early just so i can watch them and decide whether i want to pay that much for them, sometimes backfires and I end up with 3 ammy's that are all almost the same usually get out bid on everything and have to pick the one i can afford.
11/16/2012 12:55 PMPosted by Kendo

the issue is that I cannot increase my bid if I am the leader on lot.

yes, you can. I have done it several times. it costs you a little coin as it basically treats you as a new bidder and ups your bid. but if you are that concerned about being sniped at the end of the auction, it can be worth it and you would have paid more any way.

example, I put in a low ball bid on a really good item shortly after it hit the AH. usually, those items get a higher bid but it flags it on my open auction list to review when it gets closer to expiration.

but in this case, my low ball bid was still winning with about 10 minutes left and I had a feeling that one or more people were out there looking to snatch it.

so I went in with about 1 minute left and raised my 1 million bid to 5 million. yes, you will get a warning message that bidding on an item that you are already winning increases your bid to at least the next bid increment

so if no one else was looking to buy the item it would have cost me another 5 or 10% but I was still happy with that. as it turned out, several people must have been waiting to snipe it because the last 60 seconds it jumped from the 1 million to around 4 million.

but I still got the item. if i would have just sat there with my original high bid, I would not have had time to manually enter a new bid when others jumped in at the last minute.

that's not correct.

My example:

I put 100m on bid - all my money. after 10 minutes some of my items sold and I got another 10-20m, 1 min left: I see that current bid is getting closer to my bid, I want to add that 20m to my bid but cannot, as result when ~5sec left, somebody killed by bid and I did not have a time to re-bid it on 120m. Result: item was bought out for 105m, I lost item, because do not have a time to make a 120m bid.
Solution:

Bid the max amount you are willing to pay, and bid it with less than a minute to go.
Blizzard should change their AH to become a penny AH.
It ignore the history of all bids, the last bids is the winner no matter what.
If there least then 15s and someone bids, the new bidder is the winner.
Bids are not refundable.

People will be in front of their computer screen all day long adding bids each 15s until we hit a server inspection xD Penny auction is a system that work in RL doesn't mean it ideal for gaming and a gaming economy.

---------------------

Blizzard should make that all bids are invisible and the highest bid at the end win then.
Everyone will be on same ground as the sniper.
If an item is listed as 2k startup price
You can bid 2k, 100k, 200m and everyone bid stay until it end, and only the winner get the item. The auction house show the amount of bidder on item instead of the current price.

If you are against this method, then you just agreed that sniping is unfair?
Because this would be the world if EVERYONE was sniping and nobody placed early bids.

yes, you can. I have done it several times. it costs you a little coin as it basically treats you as a new bidder and ups your bid. but if you are that concerned about being sniped at the end of the auction, it can be worth it and you would have paid more any way.

example, I put in a low ball bid on a really good item shortly after it hit the AH. usually, those items get a higher bid but it flags it on my open auction list to review when it gets closer to expiration.

but in this case, my low ball bid was still winning with about 10 minutes left and I had a feeling that one or more people were out there looking to snatch it.

so I went in with about 1 minute left and raised my 1 million bid to 5 million. yes, you will get a warning message that bidding on an item that you are already winning increases your bid to at least the next bid increment

so if no one else was looking to buy the item it would have cost me another 5 or 10% but I was still happy with that. as it turned out, several people must have been waiting to snipe it because the last 60 seconds it jumped from the 1 million to around 4 million.

but I still got the item. if i would have just sat there with my original high bid, I would not have had time to manually enter a new bid when others jumped in at the last minute.

that's not correct.

My example:

I put 100m on bid - all my money. after 10 minutes some of my items sold and I got another 10-20m, 1 min left: I see that current bid is getting closer to my bid, I want to add that 20m to my bid but cannot, as result when ~5sec left, somebody killed by bid and I did not have a time to re-bid it on 120m. Result: item was bought out for 105m, I lost item, because do not have a time to make a 120m bid.

you CAN increase your bid if you are the winning one BUT like in your example if you place all your gold on an item (the gold gets placed as a bit) and want to increase it, you will need at least the same amount of gold again.

Example: you place 100 mil and you have got 20 left. now you get 30 mil from selling stuff and you want to increase your bid to 150, but the bid is at 100 mil and to increase to 150 you need 150 on hand not counting whats already placed on the item. so since you only have 50 mil you cant place it
OP.

Online bidding has always been like this.

Get over it.
Added time to the ticker for last second bids would certainly help the seller and blizzard make some more change. I'll give ya that, and blizzard may go for it to! Fact remains if you have the highest bid, you win.. and that won't change from adding a timer to the timer.
Blizzard should make that all bids are invisible and the highest bid at the end win then.
Everyone will be on same ground as the sniper.
If an item is listed as 2k startup price
You can bid 2k, 100k, 200m and everyone bid stay until it end, and only the winner get the item. The auction house show the amount of bidder on item instead of the current price.

If you are against this method, then you just agreed that sniping is unfair?
Because this would be the world if EVERYONE was sniping and nobody placed early bids.

So now you have devolved into not even knowing what sniping means...

Please do yourself a favor and learn how to use the AH, its not hard and doesn't need to be fixed because it is not broken.

Oh and in your example of selling an item and having an additional 10-20 mil to bid, well its your own fault for driving the price up hours and hours before the auction was timed to end.
I'm surprised at how many threads there are about this topic. Have none of you ever used Ebay? You either put in your max dollar you want to spend or wait to the very last second and bid at a price and hope you snag it. There is nothing wrong with the auction house.
do you suggest to take stopwatch and wait 5sec before the end of auc and make the bid?

You say that like it's a bad thing.

11/16/2012 10:38 AMPosted by Alec
lot leader should have a time to answer if his bid would be killed.

To paraphrase others, "lot leader" should not be a cheapskate. Seriously. There is nothing wrong with trying to win something at a bargain price. But you can't then turn around and complain because you lost the item.
PUT WHAT YOU ARE WILLING TO PAY FOR THE ITEM. I HATE YOU STUPID NOOBS TRYING TO GET SOMETHING CHANGED THATS NOT NEEDED
The auction flaw is the OP!

Parents if you are reading this - KEEP YOUR KIDS AWAY FORM THE AUCTION HOUSE!

Thank you. :)

ROTFL!! I taught mine how to snipe, so it's all good. :-)