How to stop PvP being a money fight

General Discussion
Until Blizzard reveals their plans for PVP, I do not think radical changes like these that will segregate the community are necessary.

Back when the patch data for 1.0.3. for datamined there was a buff icon found called "Buff_PVP_Balance". Due to this, I believe Blizzard already has a system in place that will bring everyone's gear to a somewhat similar power level. This will put a larger emphasis on skill builds and crowd control. I imagine it as something similar to what they did with Challenge Modes in WoW.

Source for the icon: http://www.diablofans.com/news/1249-patch-103-unofficial-changes/
I have a very simple and elegant idea posted before. I can suggest again.

1) Make a new PvP ladder mode, with complete new empty stashbox. All people can "copy" their lv60 with whatever on them on the first time.

2) There's no GAH/RMAH on the new PvP ladder, all items are bound by account. You can however "transfer" items from your softcore/hardcore stashbox. "Transfer" means the original items will be removed from the game for good.

3) You will get PvP point/xp in PvP mode. The PvP xp gives PvP level which is a lot like Paragon but with more skill points and no MF/GF related. The PvP level is also the ranking for PvP ladder. The PvP points are the "currency" for PvP gears. PvP gears can be bought from vendors or you need to craft yourself with PvP recipes which bought by vendors.

4) The PvP gears in general are 1.5x better than the existing legends.

No time here but I will explain why this can solve everything later.
What if you can only join PvP if you're only wearing whites?
I have a very simple and elegant idea posted before. I can suggest again.

1) Make a new PvP ladder mode, with complete new empty stashbox. All people can "copy" their lv60 with whatever on them on the first time.

2) There's no GAH/RMAH on the new PvP ladder, all items are bound by account. You can however "transfer" items from your softcore/hardcore stashbox. "Transfer" means the original items will be removed from the game for good.

3) You will get PvP point/xp in PvP mode. The PvP xp gives PvP level which is a lot like Paragon but with more skill points and no MF/GF related. The PvP level is also the ranking for PvP ladder. The PvP points are the "currency" for PvP gears. PvP gears can be bought from vendors or you need to craft yourself with PvP recipes which bought by vendors.

4) The PvP gears in general are 1.5x better than the existing legends.

No time here but I will explain why this can solve everything later.

i don't know what everyones obsession is with the ladder. It's been nothing more than an inelegant solution to an out of control problem.

But basically you're designing it where people have to remake their character and grind for pvp gear points.

why not just let people grind for pvp gear points now?
uh... okay basically absence of (RM)AH will not eliminate inequality of players' opportunities, because some go to school and have time to farm 24/7, and some go to work and don't have time to sleep.

meh.
reexamine your scope.

sure maybe 10 out of 100,000 people will find a full arsenal of godly gear. but maybe 100 will find half an arsenal. 1,000 will find a quarter arsenal and 90,000 players will find maybe 1-2 pieces of godly gear with the rest of their gear ranging from bad to good. then there's going to be whatevers left of people who find absolutely nothing.

The main issue is that you are devolving the game into nothing more than luck. If there's one thing people hate, it's random reward frequency. If you tell people that the only way for them to competitively PvP is to find their own gear, a lot of them simply aren't even going to attempt it simply because drop rates are so ludicrous.

It seems that we disagree on how often godly gear drops. How many people do you think can even hit 100k dps using only found gear? Even fewer can get that with any amount of survivability. Considering that the bare minimum would be 30kish for any decent amount of time spent farming, this is not an insurmountable difference. Compare that with your runofthemill 300k unbuffed barb versus your average player.

This is a loot based game, make them mean something other than gold values.
reexamine your scope.

sure maybe 10 out of 100,000 people will find a full arsenal of godly gear. but maybe 100 will find half an arsenal. 1,000 will find a quarter arsenal and 90,000 players will find maybe 1-2 pieces of godly gear with the rest of their gear ranging from bad to good. then there's going to be whatevers left of people who find absolutely nothing.

The main issue is that you are devolving the game into nothing more than luck. If there's one thing people hate, it's random reward frequency. If you tell people that the only way for them to competitively PvP is to find their own gear, a lot of them simply aren't even going to attempt it simply because drop rates are so ludicrous.

It seems that we disagree on how often godly gear drops. How many people do you think can even hit 100k dps using only found gear? Even fewer can get that with any amount of survivability. Considering that the bare minimum would be 30kish for any decent amount of time spent farming, this is not an insurmountable difference. Compare that with your runofthemill 300k unbuffed barb versus your average player.

This is a loot based game, make them mean something other than gold values.

true the number of godly gear is more or less hyper inflated. It's a general bell trend in which there will be 10% who are getting way more godlies than the rest, 10% who are getting way fewer godlies than the rest, and 80% who are in a varying range.

The problem is still that you are pitting people's entire success to that of luck. People flip out now because drops aren't good. Imagine when we are in a world with the same drops but now in a competitive environment. Unless you are also simultaneously increasing both drop quality and drop rate, this is only doomed to make people overly frustrated when they lose the jackpot.

And they will lose quite often
You get matched up with people with similar stats as you. This is not a Diablo 2 type of duel PvP it's arena PvP like WoW. Don't worry about it bads will get matched up with bads and gods will be matched up with gods.
true the number of godly gear is more or less hyper inflated. It's a general bell trend in which there will be 10% who are getting way more godlies than the rest, 10% who are getting way fewer godlies than the rest, and 80% who are in a varying range.

The problem is still that you are pitting people's entire success to that of luck. People flip out now because drops aren't good. Imagine when we are in a world with the same drops but now in a competitive environment. Unless you are also simultaneously increasing both drop quality and drop rate, this is only doomed to make people overly frustrated when they lose the jackpot.

Drop rate and quality are irrelevant, there will always be the top 1% godly and top 10%.

About luck, I can easily spend an extra XX hours looking for an upgrade on my worst slot, and I'm likely to find one as its my worst slot. By spending more time you give yourself more and more chances to be lucky, and that's pretty much what this game is all about.

At least if the average player has above average luck he might have a chance against the average hardcore player.

What it comes down to for me though, is the smaller gap between good and average gear if you cut out the ah.

2. You can only PvP if all your gear was found by you.

This is a terrible idea. The top 1% players will be all cheaters that use bots to farm gear for them.

Drop rate and quality are irrelevant, there will always be the top 1% godly and top 10%.

About luck, I can easily spend an extra XX hours looking for an upgrade on my worst slot, and I'm likely to find one as its my worst slot. By spending more time you give yourself more and more chances to be lucky, and that's pretty much what this game is all about.

At least if the average player has above average luck he might have a chance against the average hardcore player.

What it comes down to for me though, is the smaller gap between good and average gear if you cut out the ah.

drop rate and quality are absolutely relevant.

for arbitrary numbers, if you are finding gear that on average lands numbers between 1 and 10, most numbers will be around 5 which means the ones who get 1's are 80% weaker than the ones who get 5's and the 10's are 100% stronger than those who get 5's. Thats a huge gap.

However if you up drop quality so that the numbers are between 5-10 instead, then most people will land in 7-8 which is only 20% - 38% stronger than 5's and 10's who are 20-30% stronger than 7-8's.

In other words, the gap between the haves and the have nots as well as the middle class wouldn't be so incredibly huge.

Add in drop rates so that people are getting more legendaries, and more sets, as well as more 6 affix rares and people have a better chance of at least finding something that is good enough to use.

you might find something if your gear is absolutely bad enough, but the better your gear, the harder it is exponentially to find something better.

again, all of this will come down to luck. In it's current conception, that would not be very fun for a lot of players
PvP sets...

inb4 people complain about porting even more stuff from WoW.
+1

This would be a great option for PvP.
It would be terribly short-sighted to make it the ONLY option for PvP.
PvP sets...

inb4 people complain about porting even more stuff from WoW.

Doesn't that make all the time spent playing the "item hunt" game completely obsolete? I thought the basic premise of diablo games is farming for loot which enables you to oneshot your opponent...