Keystrokes are sometimes ignored

Bug Report
Sometimes it seems that my keystrokes are completely ignored. This of course has lead to many deaths by now as I am having this issue since launch. It happens for all classes no matter the skill and on different computers, too. But sadly I am not able to reproduce it.
I'm using a mechanical keyboard with blue switches, so every keystroke can be heard very clearly and therefore I am pretty sure that this is not due to my inability to press the keys fully. I am now in the habit of mashing the corresponding key until the skill activates just to be sure I don't die. (e.g. Diamond Skin)

I first thought it was maybe just lag, since the servers were very busy in the first months. But that shouldn't be the case now and I still have this behaviour.

Is there someone with a similar experience who could solve this problem or can reliably reproduce it?
I would check for a driver update for your keyboard or possible issues it is having from your device manage. Just my thoughts.
To the OP: by any chance, are you referring to potions?

I've also noticed this in the last month.

It's not frequent, but sometimes, I could be pressing "Q" like 5-6 times to get a potion and nothing happens. There's not cooldown either on potions and yet, my character won't drink one.
11/27/2012 01:45 PMPosted by Mercyles
I would check for a driver update for your keyboard or possible issues it is having from your device manage. Just my thoughts.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I can rule out a driver issue because it happens to me on at least two different computers.

To the OP: by any chance, are you referring to potions?

I've also noticed this in the last month.

It's not frequent, but sometimes, I could be pressing "Q" like 5-6 times to get a potion and nothing happens. There's not cooldown either on potions and yet, my character won't drink one.

Yes, potion keystrokes are also ignored sometimes.

11/28/2012 01:36 AMPosted by Boss
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7200031162

Wow, this might really solve the puzzle! Although, the video only shows this happening with a full inventory. I will do some tests later to see if it also happens if the inventory is not full. If that is the case, then this will most likely be the cause of this bug. Thank you for the hint!
I can confirm now, that this problem is not connected to picking up items when the inventory is full. Skills can be used freely if the inventory is not full. Additionally, ever since I posted this thread, I have had several occurrences of ignored keystrokes all the while there were no items in my surroundings.

Any other ideas? :(
I can confirm now, that this problem is not connected to picking up items when the inventory is full. Skills can be used freely if the inventory is not full. Additionally, ever since I posted this thread, I have had several occurrences of ignored keystrokes all the while there were no items in my surroundings.

You should really grab a good keyboard with at least 6 key (NKRO) for gaming in diablo 3, there are many, but basically what could be happening is a hardware issue. If you press to many buttons at once the keyboard actual locks on to repeat a keystroke multiple times and prevents other keys "keystrokes" from being sent. A complete review of what happens and why is here.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/mechanical-switch-keyboard,2955.html

Please take the time to read the full article and some of the reviews. As to a recommendation. For diablo 3 bare minimum 6 key (NKRO) these keys should include 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,0,w,a,s,d,q,e,r,t,f,g,z,x,c. You know the most commenly used keystrokes in gaming.

I wont say that it is your issue specifically, but I noticed significant improvement on my keystrokes being sent when I picked up my new logitech g710 usb 2.0 keyboard.
I've also noticed this happening, to be honest I don't notice it when It doesn't result in a death but I can remember 1 or 2 specific instances where I have been running in the clear and a mouse button to vault hasn't worked or a keyboard press hasn't registered.

I seem to have noticed that it's an attack speed thing, related to the animations, but it has happened when no other buttons have been pressed too.

Could be lag however as I do play with 200ping all the time.

You should really grab a good keyboard with at least 6 key (NKRO) for gaming in diablo 3, there are many, but basically what could be happening is a hardware issue. If you press to many buttons at once the keyboard actual locks on to repeat a keystroke multiple times and prevents other keys "keystrokes" from being sent. A complete review of what happens and why is here.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/mechanical-switch-keyboard,2955.html

Please take the time to read the full article and some of the reviews. As to a recommendation. For diablo 3 bare minimum 6 key (NKRO) these keys should include 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,0,w,a,s,d,q,e,r,t,f,g,z,x,c. You know the most commenly used keystrokes in gaming.

I wont say that it is your issue specifically, but I noticed significant improvement on my keystrokes being sent when I picked up my new logitech g710 usb 2.0 keyboard.

Thanks for the reply. I am using a Razer Blackwidow and it has 6KRO for the keys around WASD including 1234 where I have my active skills. I can also rule out KRO being an issue because I have had instances where I pressed only one key at a time and the skill didn't fire off. Oh and did I mention that I have this problem on my laptop, too? ;)
Still I would really like to try another mechincal keyboard but my bank acount balance doesn't really allow it right now x)

I've also noticed this happening, to be honest I don't notice it when It doesn't result in a death but I can remember 1 or 2 specific instances where I have been running in the clear and a mouse button to vault hasn't worked or a keyboard press hasn't registered.

I seem to have noticed that it's an attack speed thing, related to the animations, but it has happened when no other buttons have been pressed too.

Could be lag however as I do play with 200ping all the time.

It think lag should only contribute to a delay of a keystroke not necessarily to the complete absorption of it. With packet loss this might be different. But packet loss usually also causes rubberbanding which in my experience is not correlated to the ignored keystroke phenomenon. And here in EU with my cable-DSL I'm usually at 50-60 ms so its unlikely to be the cause.

You bring up a good point with the animations maybe blocking the usage of skills. I can't rule that out right now, but I also have no clue of how to test that.
Recent server maintenance (01/22/2013) brought this issue to a head on my system. Now, right clicking Disintegrate (Wizard) often locks on. Click and hold to attack - now its click and hold and then hope and pray it even starts or releases.

Usually right click issues happen in complex battles, many mobs. But it also happens when left clicking to pick up objects that drop. Anyway - no changes in my system, Blizz as usual says no one else is having this problem. Yet here's a thread on the topic.

Blizz - please train or otherwise improve the quality of your support people so they at least read posts before responding to them.
noticed my keystrokes were not registering and when on my wiz I have trouble getting eletrocute to stop so that I can move again. I have other charaters as well that are ignoring when I push a button. What the heck is going on.