AH Flipping Has Got to Stop Indeed

General Discussion
1 2 3 7 Next
What should matter to Blizzard is that the majority of customers are unsatisfied with current trading practices. Something that continues to be perceived as unfair is likely to turn people away. Quite a good motive for actions, isn't it?

This is what can be done to eliminate the unwanted trading behavior:

- items purchased on either of the AHs should not be allowed to sell for more than what they were acquired for. Obviously that would not apply to newly found items (not dropped on the ground by other players) when trying to sell them for the very first time. That's right - only reselling is penalized. Buy items to use them or don't buy at all.

Example: a monster drops item X. One decides to sell it in the GAH for 50M. Someone buys it for 50M. The person who bought it now cannot sell it for more than 50M (whether in the GAH or using the trade window while in the game). Same principle applies to the RMAH.

In order for the above to work these measures also need to be taken:
- gold cannot be purchased for real money (pay2win? -> go buy stuff on the RMAH)
- gold becomes account-bound and cannot be given to other players as gift (you want to help somebody -> buy/give them items instead of giving gold)

* bonus option: do you want item sink in the game? Simply add this:
- after, let's say, 50 times the item is resold - it becomes account-bound (can only be used/salvaged/vendored). Colour-code or somehow mark the item in the AH/trade window, so people can see that it's the last time that item can be sold.

P.S. I honestly wouldn't care if the proposed changes made some flippers quit. In a way, they have already done so and are now just poisoning other people's experience.
lol... that is all
Your argument is valid, unfortunately, due to the steady income the Auction House generates for the company, I don't think the idea would come through.
I love it. You would take a currency, which, I have to remind you, exists for the sole purpose of being a medium through which people can exchange goods, and you would then take this currency, and make it impossible to be actually used as a medium to exchange goods.
i dont really get the problem

items you cant afford, give you a goal to save up for

and items you can afford you're free to resell at any price

its just a natural part of having an economy

if billionares try to control the market by grabbing up 50m items and relisting for 100m so be it, whats the rush ? the game is a never ending grind anyway. what the hell are people so upset about...? I love when people flip and go crazy about how bad the Softcore economy is, its kinda like they dont understand the nature of SC.

DON'T WORRY. whatever items you're crying about will be worth 100k when expansion hits.
what can't you afford now ??? theres so much to buy for SO cheap lol.

>this is why i play HC, but, i gotta say, the drama on these SC forums rocks =)<
hey man and to think 5 tabs in the shared stash was to much database use per sccount.. now lets track how much each item was purchased for ?
This is the single most idiotic idea I've ever heard in my entire life.

People are so entitled these days. All flippers do is correct the economy. If an item is bought for 10m and relisted at 50m, then it's actually worth 50m. You wouldn't be complaining if that item was never listed at 10m, but instead was just listed at its actual value of 50m. Why do you feel you "deserve" these incorrectly priced items?
11/29/2012 05:42 PMPosted by ALEXANDER
- items purchased on either of the AHs should not be allowed to sell for more than what they were acquired for. Obviously that would not apply to newly found items (not dropped on the ground by other players) when trying to sell them for the very first time. That's right - only reselling is penalized. Buy items to use them or don't buy at all.

Think carefully about the consequences of what you're asking for. You're asking everyone who doesn't buy new gear every three days to gradually lose purchasing power over time.

Let's say you buy an awesome Barbarian weapon today for 60M. It's got tons of str, crit damage, socket, the works. You use it for 8 months, you kick butt, you slay demons. Then you decide you want to roll a Wizard. Well, in the intervening 8 months, the amount of gold in the economy has doubled, and an equivalent Wizard weapon costs 120M. If only your change hadn't been implemented, you'd be able to sell your Barb gear for a fair price and regear. Now you're just screwed.

In order for the above to work these measures also need to be taken:
- gold cannot be purchased for real money (pay2win? -> go buy stuff on the RMAH)
- gold becomes account-bound and cannot be given to other players as gift (you want to help somebody -> buy/give them items instead of giving gold)

This does absolutely nothing. Emeralds become the new gold.

* bonus option: do you want item sink in the game? Simply add this:
- after, let's say, 50 times the item is resold - it becomes account-bound (can only be used/salvaged/vendored). Colour-code or somehow mark the item in the AH/trade window, so people can see that it's the last time that item can be sold.

"Items are too expensive! We need a way to make them scarcer and more expensive!" Why does everyone keep saying this?
There is no problem with flippers.

There IS a problem with it being easier to improve your character by playing the AH than by playing the game.
Not happening. even without the AH, this will happen one way or another.

Stop low balling.
Things cant be flipped if they are sold for a reasonable price from the beginning. People who sell things underpriced seem to need ridiculously fast gold. As a result they destroy the marketvalue of goods. Others who are flipping items just compensate that.

tl;dr Sellers make less profit by low balling. Thats a reasonable price for fast gold.

So basically:
11/29/2012 07:08 PMPosted by Bele
Stop low balling.

+1
go flip burgers crybaby
Wahhhhh Wahhhhh Wahhhhh.

I guess we should ban any kind of profit-driven market then. Oh wait, the real world works that way.
I'd rather do away with flipping by actually having good items drop in the game for everyone, at a better rate than one every 600 hours.
The post is about awareness, or should I just say 'when there is a will, there is a way'..
If you want to strictly argue the economy: It's a buyers market. That being said, it's not the people selling 50m items for 100m that are ruining the economy - it's the people selling 50m items for 10m.