[Guide] The Tempest Rush Compendium 1.0.8

Monk
Prev 1 13 14 15 57 Next
even when 26k DPS drop from changing amulet, Cyclone reach and its ability to clean up is indispensable. I just wish I could generate more nadoes... FoT become very useless once you have >12spirit/sec. Will try to see if I can afford the better SoJ / Xeph, which kinda impossible considering popularity of this Guide, haha.

You nailed it!

I have now done enough testing to show that even without my "perfect gear" build, Cyclone is simply too good to pass up.

The main issue with Cyclone is that it requires a lot of crit which can be expensive.

Sorry about killing the SoJ / Xeph market ... you would think that I would have stocked up on both and made a huge profit when I released this guide ... OH WELL! Bring broke hasn't stopped me before and it sure won't stop me now! ;)

Druin, since many of us do workarounds, I think this kind of summary stats will help. e.g.
For top gear build to work (~80M/h exp) using exactly same set of skill, you're recommended to have min of:
12+ spirit/sec ( Templar buffed )
100k dps ( unbuffed )
36%/42% CC ( w/o and w TR crit bonus )
24% MS ( excluding fleet footed )
25k health
400 res
3500 armor
etc?

This is a fantastic idea! I will make up one of these for each section and put it near the top.

BUILD is SICK!!switched over and am NOT going back...

If you want to save $$ on your skorn, get one with decent life after kill (2000/3000+) instead of LS, much cheaper and it heals more.

It actually is more effective than LS for this build because of how fast you kill enemies... Untested ofc, but i have one and i stay capped, reflect can be a problem, but 7sided takes care of that.

I am glad to hear that you are having such a good time with it!

The different healing methods (or lack-there-of) on Skorn is going to be my next avenue of research.

I very much doubt that LoK is actually BETTER than LS due to how amazing LS is for SW, TR and MoC:Sub.
I sincerely hope it is similar in power because that would open the door for a lot more of my fellow monks to get their TR on!

I also don't understand how SSS takes care of reflect damage without letting us get hurt, 0 LS/LoH. Tho its a good thing.

Adding SSS to my TR build was easily the best decision of my D3 career ... it is SO good!

Note: I tried the reduced cooldown rune and it is terrible ... use FO people!!!!

+1, bought my one for 15 mil and manage to stay alive better than a skorn with LS.. Just a hint for everyone interest in this build, i.e you dont need any weapons that LS or LOH but it would help if you have some gears that health globe bonuses and some pick-up radius... I went for a different path to Druin and manage to keep my Nat set in the build... :)

Really nice build! That is a lot of DPS!

One thing to note though, if you used Guardian's Path instead of Exalted Soul you would gain almost 2 spirit/sec over what you have now and you would be able to infinitely TR AND SSS without dropping to 0.

<3
No one here likes bell more than SSS?

SSS is always on cooldown, and bell is more reliable in that you don't have to clear the trash in the area first
No one here likes bell more than SSS?

SSS is always on cooldown, and bell is more reliable in that you don't have to clear the trash in the area first

I really didn't like Bells when I tried them in my build.

SSS:FO instantly clears the screen and can take an elite pack from 100% to 0% in one shot.

Even if you have the 40spirit cost bells rune on, it will take > 1 bell to kill a given elite pack which costs 80spirit (more than you can gain back with my proposed build) and, at ~1APS, casting those two bells actually takes longer than the full animation of SSS.

Furthermore SSS deals with Reflects elites while Bells do not.

I believe at a high enough DPS level, Bells would 1 shot elites and, as long as you used a LS skorn, it may be preferable to SSS.

This is definitely worth looking into for high dps people though ... I will do some testing on it to see how SSS compared to Bells with my best gear!
i like your build I change it a little since i really dont need soj I went with Leroic ring for 7 more yards pick up and exp leveling threw my 80s so fast
Got my Xeph 1.68SR for a bargain.. only 1M buyout

With that Xeph, I can use MoC:Submission and SW:Firestorm without going OOS. But my DPS taking a huge reduction.

Need to bump my DPS back to 120K :(
12/06/2012 11:25 PMPosted by Druin
Really nice build! That is a lot of DPS!

Thanks, actually 191k dps was with the DR+foresight buff... My unbuff dps is 162k...

One thing to note though, if you used Guardian's Path instead of Exalted Soul you would gain almost 2 spirit/sec over what you have now and you would be able to infinitely TR AND SSS without dropping to 0.

Awesome, i'm now at around 14/sec spirit regen and manage to put a third attack speed item in the build and still have unlimited TR... Now at 200k dps buffed... ( profile havent update yet)..
All credit to Druin... Awesome build...
nice guide. the only thing i would have to say is low mp's are fine with low resist and with LAK...this is where i'm at:

http://youtu.be/bGzsFpItT6Y
@vell: SSS protects you from RD because you're invulnerable during the animation.
The different healing methods (or lack-there-of) on Skorn is going to be my next avenue of research.

The offer to provide you with various 'budget' Skorns to use for testing still stands - I also picked up an extra pair of bracers with pickup on them since I hadn't seen any show up in your profile. You can use those as well.

Since the total gold spent on the three non-healing Skorns was ~12M - I believe this may be some of the gear people might be able to use for a more cost efficient build.
I tried your cyclone idea and it just wasnt workiing for me.

I love the firestorm too much.

Also, another thing you may want to change is to go with the lower cooler on the SSS rune. The base SSS is enough to one shot any elite on mp 0 or 1. Just make sure to clear the trash white mobs around them first.

Guess it helps i run around with 167K base DPS.

Also, i see no need for LOH or LS, I have never died on mp 1 with this build.
Hey Druin, I have a question for you. I have my TR bound to a keyboard key so that I don't have to hold down the right mouse button all the time, but rather just hold the key and navigate with the mouse. One problem that I am having from time to time is that TR would reset, which then causes me to lose a bit of spirit because it gets recast right away (since it kind of happens really quickly I didn't even notice for a while, it sometimes happens to be "off" cooldown, which is when I realized what was happening). So, my question is, have you experienced anything like this and if so what could I do to solve this issue? Could it be that there's a certain way that I'm running into monsters that causes this?

Actually, another thing is, I don't know if it's because of my computer or internet connection, but for me it takes a while to load Rakkis Crossing or Bridge of Korsik from the waypoints in the towers. So, if I start my SW in the tower and go to Rakkis Crossing I often times lose it before I have a chance to refresh. It would be great if the route started at Rakkis, but I guess that's not an option. Anyway, I guess I should start it there. Funny enough this is not a problem when going to other waypoints.
Hey Druin, I have a question for you. I have my TR bound to a keyboard key so that I don't have to hold down the right mouse button all the time, but rather just hold the key and navigate with the mouse. One problem that I am having from time to time is that TR would reset, which then causes me to lose a bit of spirit because it gets recast right away (since it kind of happens really quickly I didn't even notice for a while, it sometimes happens to be "off" cooldown, which is when I realized what was happening). So, my question is, have you experienced anything like this and if so what could I do to solve this issue? Could it be that there's a certain way that I'm running into monsters that causes this?

Actually, another thing is, I don't know if it's because of my computer or internet connection, but for me it takes a while to load Rakkis Crossing or Bridge of Korsik from the waypoints in the towers. So, if I start my SW in the tower and go to Rakkis Crossing I often times lose it before I have a chance to refresh. It would be great if the route started at Rakkis, but I guess that's not an option. Anyway, I guess I should start it there. Funny enough this is not a problem when going to other waypoints.

TR always randomly refreshed and kills my spirit too.

Its good to stop every once in a while to refresh your foresight and build spirit that way.
1. Zunimassa's Trail (1.0.4 version)
I LOVE THESE BOOTS.

They look sexy and they have awesome stats.

The 8% elemental damage is a LOT of added DPS and they automatically have Vit and you can roll up to 200 Dex.

If you don't get AR here, you will want a very high dex and vit roll.

Ideal stats: 190+Dex, 70+Vit, 8%Poison Damage, 60+AR
Min stats: 140Dex, 50Vit, 7%Poison Damage, <anything>

Ideal stats price: ~75m
Min stats price: ~10m

This is all just very awesome. I have tried the build with the minimal gear and love it. Can't wait to get upgrades. But question on the Zuni boots. I see a lot of monks state that the elemental damage added is a great dps boost. But the boots state "poison" damage... so how do we has monks benefit from that? ( I have searched for the answer and can't seem to find it lol) Thanks a ton!
The "Adds x% to Elemental Damage" affix actually modifies your black damage. For details, see here:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7004456313#6
Druin,

Another "props to you post"

i've been playing my current setup in profile, and i went from lvl68-72 yesterday! amazing how fast the XP comes in :) Thanks!

for me i'm personally not going for 100% max efficiency because i can't break myself of the habit of picking up at least some rares along the way. (though none have really been GG yet or anything). Also i'm still negative on spirit regen so i do run out from time to time, but i use elite packs to refill.

i switched to a LOK skorn and i think i like that better, plus i got a higher DPS one for a fraction of the price of one w/LS. so for those that are thinking of converting and on a tighter budget, that might be the best option.

i'm toying with the idea of fleet footed passive, i'd lose that 1 sprit/sec regen but perhaps the speed will be worth it.

see you at paragon 100!

/another "happy" Monk
I have figured out a pretty decent build without having to use a SOJ or Xepherian and I prefer it to using either or both of those based on testing I have done. I welcome anybody to try it out and provide feedback.

Im using the following 3 passives:
Exalted Soul
Chant of Resonance
Guardians Path

Skills:
MOH/CB
Sweeping winds/cyclones
SSS/FO
BF/FITL
DR/Foresight
TR/ Tailwind of course

This gives me 12.78 spirit regen at 1.16 AS, I dont lose spirit while running, only when using SSS, so occassionally I have to pause around 5 secs to hit something and build spirit back up. When full I have 250 spirit using Exhaulted Soul so this gives you a big pool of spirit so I usually only have to stop to build spirit around every 3rd pack of elites since I dont lose any just running.

Im using my Nats ring with 5.5cc along with the boots for the 12.5cc which puts me at 51.5cc and Im spawning cyclones alot which is just cleaning house. I wish the nats ring didnt have any AS and this would be awesome but I still love it compared to any build Ive tried so far with an SOJ and Xeph. My DPS is at 185K unbuffed so I just run through everything and the cyclones clean up the left overs. SSS still kills packs as fast as with an SOJ since my damage is still very high.

The biggest negative Ive found is the loss of fleet footed. Alot of monks probably already have the Nats ring and boots so give it a try. Im going to do some more testing and run some numbers but looks very promising so far.
12/06/2012 10:28 PMPosted by vell
I also don't understand how SSS takes care of reflect damage without letting us get hurt, 0 LS/LoH. Tho its a good thing.

You are invulnerable during your 7 sided, so you won't die to reflect :)

Also, even the math is on the side of life after kill: enemies have around 100k life (i think thats generous in mp0.

Life after kill = 3000-4000
LS = 100000 * .02 *.06 = 1200

I agree with the guy that said you don't need any method of healing because of the amount of healthglobes that drop though, but thats assuming you have pretty good gear (highAR/ High armor /life). The Life after kill will allow you get away with less defense on a budget.

This also assumes an average Life on kill roll and a perfect LS roll.
i like your build I change it a little since i really dont need soj I went with Leroic ring for 7 more yards pick up and exp leveling threw my 80s so fast

Glad you like it!

You have good enough gear that the difference in efficiency between builds will be small so do exactly what makes you the most happy / have the most fun!! +1

Awesome, i'm now at around 14/sec spirit regen and manage to put a third attack speed item in the build and still have unlimited TR... Now at 200k dps buffed... ( profile havent update yet)..
All credit to Druin... Awesome build...

<3!!!

nice guide. the only thing i would have to say is low mp's are fine with low resist and with LAK...this is where i'm at:

Very nice!

I am glad to see that 200AR seems to work out for you :D

Two things:
1. If you face north east when you case Cyclone, the tornadoes will spawn behind you instead of moving up and to the left (as they did for your video) which will make them better at cleaning up monsters you run by.

2. Why WotHF:FoF? It is mathematically worse than Thunderclap at everything except LoH and hit-and-run strats which I didn't see you employing for the most part.

The offer to provide you with various 'budget' Skorns to use for testing still stands - I also picked up an extra pair of bracers with pickup on them since I hadn't seen any show up in your profile. You can use those as well.

Since the total gold spent on the three non-healing Skorns was ~12M - I believe this may be some of the gear people might be able to use for a more cost efficient build.

I am 100% planning on getting in contact with you in game! Thanks so much for this offer and as soon as I find time to test this stuff, I will let you know!

I tried your cyclone idea and it just wasnt workiing for me.

I love the firestorm too much.

Also, another thing you may want to change is to go with the lower cooler on the SSS rune. The base SSS is enough to one shot any elite on mp 0 or 1. Just make sure to clear the trash white mobs around them first.

Guess it helps i run around with 167K base DPS.

Also, i see no need for LOH or LS, I have never died on mp 1 with this build.

I am glad that you are having fun with the Firestorm build! If you love it, don't change a thing! :D

I tried the reduced CD on SSS and I HATED it. SSS:FO kills tightly packed mobs SO much faster and is capable of clearing an entire screen of monsters. This means you can just run into the middle of a group with an elite in it and hit SSS to make it all go away.

To each their own though! If you like reduced CD, go for it!

Hey there Lazar,

Your fist problem is probably caused by one of three things:
1. You accidentally left click. If you left click at any time while holding TR, it will stop your TR to instead try to do w/e left click is (walk to a point a lot of the time)
2. You accidentally move the mouse to a non-ground area. If chat dialogue pops up or you accidentally hover over your spirit globe or anything like that, you will stop TRing. If you flick back and forth between these it will instantly kill your spirit.
3. You are getting "bumped" by monsters or traps. When you get "knocked back" by small knockbacks, it resets TR. This is caused by golgor and tremmor attacks as well as fire-ball traps.

Second problem:
This is either a gfx card issue (buy a better one) a RAM issue (buy more) or a hard-drive problem.
If it is one of the first two, then that means it will happen every time you zone (rakkis crossing is BY FAR the worst for this) and you may be able to fix it by setting your in game graphics to lower settings or closing out background programs running on your PC.
If it is the third problem (hard-drive) it should only happen when you first start up the game after having not played for a while.
This is due to the way that D3 loads all its animations and textures from your hard-drive.
The only way to fix this type of lag is to buy a Solid State Hard-drive which will load the graphics and skins instantly upon start-up.

Good luck!

Druin,

Another "props to you post"

i've been playing my current setup in profile, and i went from lvl68-72 yesterday! amazing how fast the XP comes in :) Thanks!

for me i'm personally not going for 100% max efficiency because i can't break myself of the habit of picking up at least some rares along the way. (though none have really been GG yet or anything). Also i'm still negative on spirit regen so i do run out from time to time, but i use elite packs to refill.

i switched to a LOK skorn and i think i like that better, plus i got a higher DPS one for a fraction of the price of one w/LS. so for those that are thinking of converting and on a tighter budget, that might be the best option.

i'm toying with the idea of fleet footed passive, i'd lose that 1 sprit/sec regen but perhaps the speed will be worth it.

see you at paragon 100!

/another "happy" Monk

Thanks!!! So glad to hear it is going well! Good luck on grind (it can be tedious at times for sure!) and remember to never stop having fun!

<3

I have figured out a pretty decent build without having to use a SOJ or Xepherian and I prefer it to using either or both of those based on testing I have done. I welcome anybody to try it out and provide feedback.

Im using the following 3 passives:
Exalted Soul
Chant of Resonance
Guardians Path

Skills:
MOH/CB
Sweeping winds/cyclones
SSS/FO
BF/FITL
DR/Foresight
TR/ Tailwind of course

This gives me 12.78 spirit regen at 1.16 AS, I dont lose spirit while running, only when using SSS, so occassionally I have to pause around 5 secs to hit something and build spirit back up. When full I have 250 spirit using Exhaulted Soul so this gives you a big pool of spirit so I usually only have to stop to build spirit around every 3rd pack of elites since I dont lose any just running.

Im using my Nats ring with 5.5cc along with the boots for the 12.5cc which puts me at 51.5cc and Im spawning cyclones alot which is just cleaning house. I wish the nats ring didnt have any AS and this would be awesome but I still love it compared to any build Ive tried so far with an SOJ and Xeph. My DPS is at 185K unbuffed so I just run through everything and the cyclones clean up the left overs. SSS still kills packs as fast as with an SOJ since my damage is still very high.

The biggest negative Ive found is the loss of fleet footed. Alot of monks probably already have the Nats ring and boots so give it a try. Im going to do some more testing and run some numbers but looks very promising so far.

This is pretty much the best secondary setup I could come up with as well.

I like that this build opens up the door to monks who feel really stuck with their Nat's purchases and I highly recommend trying it out!

Note: I looked at your current profile and I can conclusively tell you that Inner Storm + MoC:Sub <<<< Cyclone + MoH:Circ ;)
12/07/2012 05:56 AMPosted by Lazar

I always have a problem like this when the game first boots up. The first waypoint takes FOREVER too load, as do the in-town graphics, and the first battle is very choppy. (Did you know that you can see Caldeum through the sand in the Hidden Camp? I do!;) And I have a pretty fast connection. I assume it's a server issue.

I always have a problem like this when the game first boots up. The first waypoint takes FOREVER too load, as do the in-town graphics, and the first battle is very choppy. (Did you know that you can see Caldeum through the sand in the Hidden Camp? I do!;) And I have a pretty fast connection. I assume it's a server issue.

I will just re-iterate here because this is a seriously lame problem to have and there is exactly 1 way to fix it:

This is a problem with the way D3 is coded to read textures and animations from your hard-drive and into ram/cashe.
D3 will do this EVERY time you start it up and, if your computer clears the information from ram/cashe for any reason, D3 will lag again as it looks them all up.

This technology isn't new but disk-based hard-drives are slow enough and D3's animations and textures are complex enough that it is slooooooow.

The fix: Buy a SSD (solid state drive) and install your operating system and D3 onto it. This will immediately solve this problem forever.

<3