[Guide] The Tempest Rush Compendium 1.0.8

Monk
Prev 1 15 16 17 57 Next
12/08/2012 11:11 PMPosted by Dabrixmgp
Seen a few TR guides pop up on other forums that said you dont need a weapon with LS and even said to use a spec without breath of heaven. Im confused. Even on MP 0 with 450 resists and 36k health I have needed both my heal and the LS healing from my Skorn as well. Are these people talking about running TR builds when you way overgear MP0 with like 600 resists and 40K+ HP with 150k unbuffed damage and probably a huge bonus to both pickup radius and health globe healing as well? I just cant see doing even MP0 without a weapon with LS because of all the mortar mobs, being jailed/frozen into either a molten explosion or an arcane cutter, and of course reflect damage.

Well, I did some testing regarding this and I found that with gear worth a grand total of less than 15million gold I was able to farm pretty efficiently at MP0 with a TR spec.

I was using a Skorn with Dex and Int and I also tried using a Skorn with Life on Kill.

I liked the Life on Kill Skorn a lot more than the Dex/vit Skorn but both worked.

I had ~30k hp ~100k dps and ~500AR

Once I get some footage of this build in action I will upload the videos and write a section about lower-cost TR builds ... hoping to get done with the prep-work tomorrow and then finish the writing on Monday! Stay tuned ;)
First off, thanks Druin, for an amazing guide. I'd been playing with TR builds for xp for a week or two before your guide came out, but you've taken it to a level I hadn't even considered :-)

To Dabrixmgp (having trouble at 450 res)--I'm now running at just under 300 AR, about 4000 armor, 34k hp, and about 85k dps (chasing spirit regen really hurts the stats, I'm afraid) and die infrequently using a life after kill skorn I picked up for ~2M. The key to not dying, for me at least, is using SSS on the elites. Without that I imagine I'd die several times a run. WITH it, almost never. If SSS is up, the elite dies. If it's not and the elite has reflect/molten/arcane, I run around like a little girl until the elite dies or SSS comes back up.

-Fro
You do not need weapon with LS for TR but some form of healing is still required :)
At MP0 there are two that are very easy to get:
- health globes - to use them effectively you need pickup radius (I have +13, two gear pieces) You can also consider getting health globe bonus on some gear.
- life on kill - it's so awesome it's hard to describe. One tip: no need to get it on weapon, I have some on my amulet, works the same :)
We are essentially talking about 'junk stats' here - they are way, way cheaper to get than LS/LoH.

Btw I don't know if anyone in this thred tried it but I swapped Fleet Footed for Beacon of Ytar. Not really better in terms of XP/h, but makes farming feel a lot smoother because there are a lot less cases when I run into an elite pack with SSS on CD :)
You do not need weapon with LS for TR but some form of healing is still required :)
At MP0 there are two that are very easy to get:
- health globes - to use them effectively you need pickup radius (I have +13, two gear pieces) You can also consider getting health globe bonus on some gear.
- life on kill - it's so awesome it's hard to describe. One tip: no need to get it on weapon, I have some on my amulet, works the same :)
We are essentially talking about 'junk stats' here - they are way, way cheaper to get than LS/LoH.

Btw I don't know if anyone in this thred tried it but I swapped Fleet Footed for Beacon of Ytar. Not really better in terms of XP/h, but makes farming feel a lot smoother because there are a lot less cases when I run into an elite pack with SSS on CD :)

Sweet Ice Climbers with MS you've got, but have you tried Zunimassa's Trail? With 8% to Poison Damage, my Ice Climbers don't even come close to the increase in damage!
^
and nothing can compare to the awesome death animation from poison dmg, lol
hey guys if i had a Zuni Trail that adds % Poison Dmg and a SOJ that adds say a % Cold dmg do they stack? Or do i have to stack exactly the same element?

When i removed my 6% Lightning SOJ and replaced it with a 6% Cold SOJ my dps on paper actually dropped. So did my damage on TR and SW dropped or does it only affect my dps on paper while technically doing the same damage in game?

Plz help thks alot.

Edit: Ok found out that +% Element adds to the dps of the weapon.
Hi Druin, it is me again . Quick question: sweeping wind snapshot character dps or weapon damage?
hey guys if i had a Zuni Trail that adds % Poison Dmg and a SOJ that adds say a % Cold dmg do they stack? Or do i have to stack exactly the same element?

They do stack.
8% poison damage boots and 6%cold damage ring = 14% increased elemental damage 8 of which is poison 6 of which is cold.

When i removed my 6% Lightning SOJ and replaced it with a 6% Cold SOJ my dps on paper actually dropped. So did my damage on TR and SW dropped or does it only affect my dps on paper while technically doing the same damage in game?

The game does not recognize a difference between those two items so I would love for you to check and make sure nothing else changed between the two rings. You should have identical paperdoll DPS with a 6% lighting and a 6% cold SoJ.

12/09/2012 09:33 PMPosted by BabyM
Hi Druin, it is me again . Quick question: sweeping wind snapshot character dps or weapon damage?

Weapon damage.
12/09/2012 03:14 PMPosted by zen
Sweet Ice Climbers with MS you've got, but have you tried Zunimassa's Trail? With 8% to Poison Damage, my Ice Climbers don't even come close to the increase in damage!

Just checked it in damage calculator and you are correct, it's a significant DPS upgrade. Well rolled Zunimassa's boots are quite expensive, but by the time I am able to drop some MF I should also be able to afford them :)
So if I were to equip a 1600dps 2h rare + average damage amulet/rings before I cast sweeping wind, the damage will be at the highest ?
Video 3: <uploading to youtube>

hum de dum...sitting at work...doing work...rather be watching the next installment...
12/09/2012 11:18 PMPosted by BabyM
So if I were to equip a 1600dps 2h rare + average damage amulet/rings before I cast sweeping wind, the damage will be at the highest ?

Also would like to know this.

hum de dum...sitting at work...doing work...rather be watching the next installment...

Done uploading and linked in guide, writing the entire second section as we speak ... about 3/4ths done, you can see what I have so far because I submit it constantly to save even though it looks a bit weird! :D

To some extent, yes. There are a LOT of hidden/bugged mechanics involving sweeping winds and the way it snapshots things.

I do not know if Blizzard currently considers these mechanics as "bugs" or "exploits" or "working as intended" and so I am not going to explain them on the forums and I am not going to abuse them in my tutorials.

If you want to know more about how they work, you will have to do the testing yourself to figure it out.

If Blizz ever decides to address the situation and make it clear that this isn't "cheating" then I will be happy to release a complete and comprehensive SW mechanics guide!

Until then, just cast it with lots of DPS and you should be safe ;)
Hey Druin, please advise which Zuni is better for me.

1.) 173 Dex + 7% Poison

or

2.) 122 Dex + 8% Poison

Option 1 says i would have an increase of 10xx dps on paper but does it reflect correctly in game? Which one does more dps for my Cyclones while i TR?
Question.

I have 8.13 spirit regen and running TR/Northern Breeze (spirit cost 8). I only have 8% haste putting my AS at 1.08 yet I still run out of Spirit while channeling. Am I missing something?
Question.

I have 8.13 spirit regen and running TR/Northern Breeze (spirit cost 8). I only have 8% haste putting my AS at 1.08 yet I still run out of Spirit while channeling. Am I missing something?

Don you need at least 8.64 to sustain?
You NEED The Guardian's Path which gives you 35% more Spirit Regen

Also use MoH: Circular Breathing.

Then you can use TR/Tailwind which is much faster
Wow... just took the time to read this. Excellent work Druin!!

...and I must say, you make me wanna spec for TR now O_O
Hey Druin, please advise which Zuni is better for me.

1.) 173 Dex + 7% Poison

or

2.) 122 Dex + 8% Poison

Option 1 says i would have an increase of 10xx dps on paper but does it reflect correctly in game? Which one does more dps for my Cyclones while i TR?

Hello Mew,

Blizz recently fixed the +%poison damage stat (along with the other elements) and I can confirm that it is displayed correctly in your paperdoll.

If the higher dex boots give 10k more DPS, they will be 10k dps better than the lower dex boots!

My guess is that 1% elemental damage is WAY worse than ~50 dex.

Question.

1.08 * 8 = 8.64
8.13 - 8.64 = -0.51 spirit/sec while channeling Tempest Rush.

Furthermore, TR always costs a little more to channel than it says. If you have exactly 10 spir/sec and exactly 0IAS for 1.0APS, you will lose mana while channeling TR.

I have NO idea why this is and I really wish I did .. but it is probably why you feel like you are losing more spirit than you should. At -0.51 spir/sec you should be able to channel for a long long long long time, but I will bet the game is actually counting it as more like -1.2 spir/sec or so.

Wow... just took the time to read this. Excellent work Druin!!

...and I must say, you make me wanna spec for TR now O_O

Thank you so much! I really appreciate the support! :D

TR is pretty darn fun! I would suggest switching over with the cheapest possible gear so you can see what it feels like then, if you like that, go for some better items.
Question.

1.08 * 8 = 8.64
8.13 - 8.64 = -0.51 spirit/sec while channeling Tempest Rush.

Furthermore, TR always costs a little more to channel than it says. If you have exactly 10 spir/sec and exactly 0IAS for 1.0APS, you will lose mana while channeling TR.

I have NO idea why this is and I really wish I did .. but it is probably why you feel like you are losing more spirit than you should. At -0.51 spir/sec you should be able to channel for a long long long long time, but I will bet the game is actually counting it as more like -1.2 spir/sec or so.

yikes so just to get the speed bonus i'd need roughly 10.8 + spirit regen. Dang, ok.

Thanks for the info