[Guide] The Tempest Rush Compendium 1.0.8

Monk
Prev 1 21 22 23 57 Next
greetings mortals!
the Darkside shall make a brief appearance here in the 421st post.

by now you should know that the Sithlord endorses this thread behind the scenes, ;)
but He needs to say what he must in public, for it's all politics.

----------------

Now you are approaching the 500th post, which would require an extension.
so it would be wise if you folks refrain from rapid posting,
and condense your thoughts into 1 post at a time, to save space.
All it needs is an occasional refresh, doesn't need to be bumped all the time.

-----------------

You may email forum@blizzard.com
write your names, this thread title and link, and ask for an extension.
It's important that You do it now until the limit is reach, so they can see the amount of people requesting, and consider the option before they take their christmassacre vacation.

-----------------

Happy Holidays from the Darkside,
gods speed, happy hunting, and good luck. >;)
So do you have to rebuff DR:fs every time you stop TR?
great fun playin TR. if you have time plz check profile to see if on right track thanks!
12/17/2012 06:20 PMPosted by LordRaahl
christmassacre vacation.

that one is in a few months this vacation is for the birth of the risen lord

email sent
TR gurus help. I am new to the monk community and I was reading on this post and tried the build and i'm having a blast, I want to paragon level my monk as fast as I can. Please view my profile and any suggestions will be much appreciated. Thanks a bunch!
Just wanna say thanks for the guide
11/29/2012 12:13 PMPosted by Druin
a ridiculously fun build to play

The past few weeks since you first published this guide I rushed through the last third of my XP to get to 100.

Comes at a great time for me - since I spend >80% of my time away from my wife and kids - getting the paragon leveling out of my mind before going home this weekend is quite pleasant.

And my Monk can take a bit of a break from all the rushing around while I sort through all the loot I found for all my other heroes!

Thanks again for your hard work Druin - you have made this Monk a Happy Monk as well :)
I've got some suggestions for TR folks:

Sweeping Wind: Bladestorm > Cyclones; TR hardly procs cyclones even at high cc%, Bladestorm does more damage and kills first pass by

Tempest Rush: Northern Breeze>Tailwind; if you have Fleet Footed passive, you end up traveling too fast. This allows you to stack less regen and focus on better stats, higher DPs

SW Snapshot: gear switching is no fun, playing under the stress of having to find more enemies to keep up SW is a drag. Just focus on gearing for higher DPs, then Blinding Flash>SW, should be enough.

Upon elite encounter, stop and FOT them

Mantra: Submission>Overawe, is it not better to DPs everything in proximity, than only what you hit?

Amulet: use a LOH amulet w/ cc%, you can avoid getting an overpriced LS Skorn, and thusly a Skorn w/ much higher DPS. Xapherian(or however you spell it) is so "meh" it hurts, waste.of.money.
12/18/2012 06:31 AMPosted by Azakiah
Xapherian(or however you spell it) is so "meh" it hurts, waste.of.money.

Not a month ago before this guide came out. Amazing to watch the prices! I bought a few for <5m and now they are just obnoxious! Wish I bought 20.
@Raahl

<3

12/17/2012 06:31 PMPosted by joshwake
So do you have to rebuff DR:fs every time you stop TR?

Nope. You simply buff your DPS with DR:Foresight and then cast SW. As long as you don't let SW drop, it will get the 18% buff forever. This is called "snapshotting" and is a big part of the reason that 4 pieces of Inna's armor is both good and required for this build.

The buff is very helpful for TR damage and MoC:Submission damage so, when you fight elites without SSS:FO up and you hit them with DR you will get the buff back and you can think of it as a "bonus."

If you did refresh it every 30s that would be ~12 times per run with 3 attacks at ~1.00APS = ~36seconds per run dedicated to just keeping the buff up. If you think the additional 18% damage on your TR and Submission will save >36seconds, it will be worth it to refresh! :D

12/17/2012 06:44 PMPosted by odoacer
great fun playin TR. if you have time plz check profile to see if on right track thanks!

Your setup looks really solid!

1. You may want to look into rare bracers with a bit more vit and 6% crit for more Cyclones.

2. You will definitely want to look into switching your helm gem to a Ruby for more xp and then maybe dropping some emeralds for amethysts in your gear to make up for the loss in EHP. At 115k dps, you are actually slightly above what is 100% needed to TR effectively on MP0 and you will not suffer THAT badly from losing ~5-8k dps.

3. If you ever feel even the SLIGHTEST inclination to sell your Xeph ammy, I will gladly give you anything in the world and/or all the money for it. Please please please please at least talk to me before giving it up to anyone else. <3

12/18/2012 01:55 AMPosted by Xoniuqe
TR gurus help. I am new to the monk community and I was reading on this post and tried the build and i'm having a blast, I want to paragon level my monk as fast as I can. Please view my profile and any suggestions will be much appreciated. Thanks a bunch!

Hello Xoniuqe,

Your monk looks great! That is a very good example of my Build Variant C!

You will probably want to look into farming a Hellfire ring that has Crit Chance on it (if that is your thing) and then replacing the TR crit SoJ and getting a Xeph ammy for spir/sec instead or switching hellfire for Nat's ring and Zuni boots for Nat's boots.

That is really up to you though, if you like the xp/hr you are getting now, there is no need to get the hellfire which could take many many many many hours of farming!

12/18/2012 03:12 AMPosted by Halkagon
Just wanna say thanks for the guide

Thanks for the support!!!!

12/18/2012 06:23 AMPosted by FatherFish
a ridiculously fun build to play

The past few weeks since you first published this guide I rushed through the last third of my XP to get to 100.

Comes at a great time for me - since I spend >80% of my time away from my wife and kids - getting the paragon leveling out of my mind before going home this weekend is quite pleasant.

And my Monk can take a bit of a break from all the rushing around while I sort through all the loot I found for all my other heroes!

Thanks again for your hard work Druin - you have made this Monk a Happy Monk as well :)

It's stories like this that keep me the happy monk that I am!

I am so glad to hear that my guide was able to get you plvl100 in time to spend some quality time with your family.

The only reason I have been able to write this massive essay on Tempest Rush and get plvl100 myself is that my Wife has been in a string of musicals and she has been in / is in rehearsals every single night which leaves me with tons of time to just dink around in D3! :D

We are on the kids plan soon so I can only imagine what effect that will have on my play time. I will have to increase my efficiency levels even higher to make use of what little time I will have left! ;)
12/18/2012 06:31 AMPosted by Azakiah
I've got some suggestions for TR folks:

Hello Azakiah,

First off, I have a ton of respect for you and the monk you have built. Us paragon100 monks who still play are a rarity and it's really nice to see another one that is going the TR path.

That being said, your statements are generally in direct conflict with my findings. I have done quite a bit of testing on these subjects and if there is conflicting evidence out there, I certainly want to hear about it.

I am going to present my case below and if you still feel that my reasoning is off or I am just not thinking about it correctly, I would be more than happy to have a more in-depth discussion either here or in-game!

Sweeping Wind: Bladestorm > Cyclones; TR hardly procs cyclones even at high cc%, Bladestorm does more damage and kills first pass by

I will open by saying that I have no idea what it is like to TR at 200k dps. The most DPS I have ever had is/was 134k paperdoll and for all I know, at 200k there is a magical break-point where Bladestorm starts ripping it up. If this is the case, I really want to know why so please explain it to me! :D

With that out of the way, throughout all the testing I and other respected monks have done, Bladestorm has consistently been the least efficient SW rune while Cyclone has consistently been the most efficient SW rune.

This has several causes but, for the most part, it is because Cyclones are extremely overpowered. Doing 120% weapon damage per cyclone, they out DPS SW itself a lot of the time. They also spread damage very efficiently (something that is key for a TR build) and, while they don't spawn as much as they do with a FoT:TC cookie-cutter build, they still spawn enough to be efficient.

You, like I, no longer gain benefit from xp so it is possible that you are only referring to loot/hr in which case I can understand being unhappy with Cyclone's tendency to kill monsters off-screen which can cause a lot of loot loss.

However, as long as you are moving, Firestorm mathematically out-performs Bladestorm by quite a wide margin in terms of pure dps AND damage spread.

I did the math about a page ago in this guide which you can take a look at here:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7199912895?page=21#412

I would contend that you would, in a strict sense, gain efficiency from switching Bladestorm to Firestorm and in a non-strict sense gain efficiency from switching Bladestorm to Cyclone.

Tempest Rush: Northern Breeze>Tailwind; if you have Fleet Footed passive, you end up traveling too fast. This allows you to stack less regen and focus on better stats, higher DPs

This is actually a very interesting argument and something I have been meaning to address in my main guide.

I think that in some rare cases (low dps) it can be argued that Northern Breeze would be more efficient than Tailwind. However, at your level of DPS, from a pure efficiency perspective, I do not think this is the case.

The reason is the concept of "stat to xp constraints"

Basically, every good stat in the game converts to higher xp/hr (or loot/hr but they are nearly identical).

More DPS = killing mobs faster = more xp/hr.
More movespeed = getting from place to place faster = more xp/hr.

In each case, there is a l limiting factor that keeps any 1 stat from being "infinitely stackable"

In the case of DPS, mob HP is a limiting factor. If you have 100k DPS and kill 90% of mobs in 1 hit. You can increase your DPS by 100% to 200k and you will only gain 10% more xp because you were already 1 shotting 90% of the monsters and you can't MORE than 1 shot them.

This constraint would be solved by Monster Power but, unfortunately, the scaling is such that it is always inefficient to move up in MP (with some VERY specialized exceptions).

Move speed has the constraint of what I call "moving forward."

Move speed directly increases your xp/hr for each second you spend moving along your chosen map route and has 0 effect on your xp/hr for each second you spend NOT moving along your route.

"Not moving forward" can be: doubling back, attacking a monster, opening a chest, picking up loot, portaling home, donking around in town, zoning ... ect.

In both cases, additional stat points yield lower and lower returns up to a point where they give nothing.

At 900k DPS, an additional 100k DPS would have ZERO effect on your xp/hr because everything you touched with every possible skill would die instantly and you can't get faster than instantly.

At 1000% move speed, an additional 100% move speed would have ZERO effect on your XP/hr because the ONLY time you would spend doing anything would be spent NOT moving forward. Every time you wanted to move forward, you would do so instantly and you can't get faster than instantly.

My contention is that the monster HP constraint is MUCH tighter than the Moving Forward constraint

Example: with my 130k DPS TR monk (The gear/skills displayed in my TR walkthrough and speed run videos) I kill ~90% of monsters. I also estimate that I have >80% "move forward time"

This means that by increasing my DPS to 200k I could theoretically kill 100% of monsters.
This would increase my xp gained from ~9m per run to (9*(1.00/0.90)) = 10m per run or an 11.1% more xp.

If instead I increase my Run speed by 25% I go from 134% to 159% or 1.59/1.34 = 1.187 or 18.7% increase. At 80% "move forward time" I would gain 18.7%*0.8 = 14.96% more xp.

By simply using Tailwind you get almost 15% more xp and that is assuming some very conservative numbers.

I could actually calculate the "move forward time" for my TR monk and I will bet it's a lot closer to 95%.

Because of this, I believe Tailwind gives more xp/hr (or loot/hr) than Norther Breeze + more dps.

SW Snapshot: gear switching is no fun, playing under the stress of having to find more enemies to keep up SW is a drag. Just focus on gearing for higher DPs, then Blinding Flash>SW, should be enough.

The stress level of SW snapshotting is purely a subjective personal thing and should be assessed by each player individually.

Upon elite encounter, stop and FOT them

While it is true that FoT:TC is a good way to kill elites, it does not give any benefit other than elite kill speed.

In my proposed builds, I recommend DR:Foresight for the most part because it helps monks kill trash and most monks are not at the point in their DPS level where Trash instantly dies without buffs.

If you get to this DPS point without losing out on the utility of Tailwind (as my argument above contends is more efficient) then switching to FoT:TC can be a great move!

It does seem a bit odd that you would argue for Bladestorm over Cyclone while also using FoT:TC which has some of the best synergy in the entire game with SW:Cyclone.

Mantra: Submission>Overawe, is it not better to DPs everything in proximity, than only what you hit?

I completely agree. I cover this with quite some depth in the "Damage Spread" section and my "MoC:Submission" section of my guide!

This "damage spread" argument is the same argument that I use in favor of Cyclone and Firestorm over Bladestorm.

Generally, I think of MoC:Overawe = Bladestorm, MoC:Submission = Firestorm from a mechanical perspective.

Amulet: use a LOH amulet w/ cc%, you can avoid getting an overpriced LS Skorn, and thusly a Skorn w/ much higher DPS. Xapherian(or however you spell it) is so "meh" it hurts, waste.of.money.

From a pure gold/xp-per-hour vantage point, I agree with this statement completely.

I think Xeph ammy has low gold to effect returns and that is why 3 out of my 3 mid-tier builds can be built without it and what 0 of my 2 <25m gear sets have used Xeph in the build.

Rare ammys simply provide much better stat returns for the gold spent.

However, once you get to a large, near infinite budget, I no longer think this is the case.

Xeph ammy provides perfectly acceptable stats if you pay for them and gives Spir/sec which is nearly invaluable.

The reason spir/sec is so valuable is that it can be converted into utility stats through the use of skills. For example, my TR spec for loot farming uses maxed spir/sec gear, Tailwind and Dashing Strike: Way of the Falling Star because I have determined that the increased move speed is a larger boost to elites/hr than anything else.

To achieve this without Xeph ammy, I would need to use MoH:Circ instead of MoC:Overawe. It is EXTREMELY unlikely that any ammy I could get would increase my true DPS by the 60% vs elites that MoC:Overawe does. Because of this, I find Xeph ammy to be more efficient of a choice than any given Rare.

I should also point out that I think LoH on your ammy is a stat you will over-pay for and do not need. LoK on Skorn is a very cost-effective way to get sustain for a MP0 TR build and LoH has a very minimal effect on builds that run with TR and DR:Foresight as both have low Proc Coefficients.

Conclusion:
I apologize in advance if my replies come off as antagonistic, I sincerely do not mean them to be so.

As always, if you are having fun and Bladestorm + Northern Breeze + 200k DPS get you to log into your monk every day and enjoy your D3 experience, then they are the right skills to be using!

Thanks for taking the time to read all of this!
Excellent post!

My only question. How often do I need to pop Blinding Flash and rebuff Forsight? Guess Im a little confused at how long BF lasts, same with Forsight.

Build is working great. My profile probably isnt updated, but Im sitting on 40%crit 470 dmg and around 132K unbffd, just not procing as many tornadoes as I'd like.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance!

Now you are approaching the 500th post, which would require an extension.
so it would be wise if you folks refrain from rapid posting,
and condense your thoughts into 1 post at a time, to save space.
All it needs is an occasional refresh, doesn't need to be bumped all the time.

-----------------

You may email forum@blizzard.com
write your names, this thread title and link, and ask for an extension.
It's important that You do it now until the limit is reach, so they can see the amount of people requesting, and consider the option before they take their christmassacre vacation.

Done! Everyone else should do the same as well. Until the extension, I suppose this will be my last post here.

@Flinkee

Anyone wanting to more or less carry a WD and me on MP10 uber runs we'll provide the portals. We have 6 currently, workin on more.

Please see this thread: https://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7416261816
bump for my question
Druin! you're on the kids plan, eh? congratulations! and yes, it will certainly cut into your play time.. maybe not when they're babies, but when they're a bit older. i have 4. aged 1-5. best thing i ever did with my life.

even though i've stopped TR'ing, i still come back and read this thread all the time. i'd TR if i could, but am too focussed on gearing myself towards my goal to deviate too far from my path. i finally sold the lacuni i found and made 102million after AH tax. most gold i've ever had by a factor of about 5. was almost going to buy TR stuff.... then decided to upgrade my EF and look for more upgrades. still have 40 million and fighting with myself as to whether to gear up for TR with the rest...

i'm making about 40 - 45mil xp per hour with my current set-up without too much experience with it learning the best pathing etc... how fast did you reach para 100 after optimizing your runs? were you a bit sad once you hit 100? that you had reached an end? do you have a totally different gear set for higher MP's and Ubers?
Excellent post!

My only question. How often do I need to pop Blinding Flash and rebuff Forsight? Guess Im a little confused at how long BF lasts, same with Forsight.

Build is working great. My profile probably isnt updated, but Im sitting on 40%crit 470 dmg and around 132K unbffd, just not procing as many tornadoes as I'd like.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance!

12/18/2012 02:14 PMPosted by VzwsoN
bump for my question

to answer your only questions,
if you look at the status bar or turn on tooltip, or look at the tool tip, you will know that it lasts 3 seconds. -_-
when should you use BF? use it before you cast SW for the first time, ahem..
when should you recast Foresight? when you stop seeing the green glow around you.
you can't see the green glow? well then just time 30 seconds or get one in once in a while.

not getting many tornados? well this is an exp farming build, most are already dead when you touch them, what do you need a lot of cyclones for? don't be greedy now.
any Advice?
- just play and figure it out.

and lastly,
don't bump with 1 line to bump your own question, wtf, especially just 30 mins after the first post. They're running out of posts, somebody will hold your hands when they have time, stop wanting instant gratification.
so now you should be writing an email to ask for a thread post-extension too.
[forum@blizzard.com]
can someone explain to me why I run out of spirit when channelling, it costs 10 sps and I generate just over 10 sps?
12/18/2012 05:57 PMPosted by BigTuna
can someone explain to me why I run out of spirit when channelling, it costs 10 sps and I generate just over 10 sps?

Channelling scales with attack speed, so if your attack speed is greater, then you are actually consuming more spirit than what the tooltips says.
durin i will give you first shot at ammy if i decide to get rid of it ty for guide
12/18/2012 08:22 PMPosted by odoacer
durin i will give you first shot at ammy if i decide to get rid of it ty for guide

I will be bidding hard against Druin for that amulet holy sh*t