[Guide] The Tempest Rush Compendium 1.0.8

Monk
Prev 1 30 31 32 57 Next
Is it me or are the prices to get the gear alot higher that what is listed in this guide?
up
anyone?
Hello everyone,

I've been tempest rushing for a long time but this guide has given me a lot of insight. My goal would be to drop Circ and pick up submission. However, I have a solid nats ring. If i drop the nats ring(9%ias) will 2 regen soj allow me to drop circ? Is submission good enough to justify spending 100's millions on a solid soj and zuni boots?
@jhenn yes more ppl are using this build cause of the exposure it got from druins guide, so more ppl looking for limited amounts of good gear, so its pricier now
im an example of that as my monk is an alt, but hes running a tr setup
What I seem to see now is that any spirit regen soj with 2+ spirit regen is instantly 20m, possibly due to the bell buff/pvp. Also any Xeph ammy with Crit chance you're looking at upwards of 100m++. Crit chance/Crit Dmg? They don't even exist with 2+ spirit regen. if I were to rebuild now I'd suggest trying to maximize spirit regen on the helm and either one or the other of the soj/ammy just to be able to average out to that 2.00 (*3= 6+ .33 which is the optimal).

1.07 definitely feels better for TR monks. I'll have to try out on the PTR with dropping the spirit regenerator and just going blinding flash and blazing wraith at once. Might be too much spirit demand tho... we'll see.
Druin.....

Curious if you tested out Shaeffer's with this build. High Proc ones (40%+) with the bonus to Lightning Skills (up to 25% IIRC) plus an OS should add lots of damage to the lightning. Basically, the hammer is "Storm Armor" on a weapon. Probably the best PvP skill the Wizard has. I used it on my barb in lower MP a few months ago with great results.

They come with either Life Steal or Open Socket.
Annnnnnnnnnnd I am back!

Hi Druin,
Thanks for the response!
Now I better understand the mechanics of the two builds. In fact, I noticed that as soon as I reached 120-125k DPS, my efficiency was not improving any more with higher DPS. Based on your explanation, this makes completely sense. I will move to spec variant A as soon as I get a CC hellfire ring (hopefully soon!).
I tried running TR on MP1 and, as I expected, I lost a lot of exp/h (and died twice, while in MP0 I die by mistake every 10 runs or so). Maybe, it could be efficient for a DPS higher than 180-190k, but definitely not at my level...
What is your opinion regarding the recently datamined info on 1.07? We may lose the snapshot (not talking about the gear swapsnapshot, but the one from DR and FitL), but we also get pretty nice buffs to SW and TR.
Thanks again!

Hey there Fiber,

I am soooo glad to hear that the whole "scaling" concept proved to work well for you! That is excellent news because it was mostly theory in my head! :D

As for 1.0.7, it is pretty clearly an improvement for TRing. We do more damage overall and no longer have to worry about snapshotting!

The only problem I have is DR:Foresight is no longer NEARLY as effective because it actually requires you to refresh it which hurts your run time.

I will be looking into this but, for now, I wouldn't recommend any drastic changes aside from switching Faith with Blazing Wrath.

01/14/2013 09:17 PMPosted by BdiZzLe
With the buff to Wave Of Light - Wall of Light will it be better to change from SSS to WOL?

I have now tested this and yes, at a certain DPS level is is WAY worth it to use Wave of Light.

I will have to do further testing but it seems that for me dropping my spirit gen for WoL and switching to InnerStorm-CircBreathing actually improves my loot/hr significantly in 1.0.7.

Loot/hr is different from xp/hr so it remains to be seen where the xp/hr will land ... I will have to use my low-paragon monk to do that kind of testing and it is on the back-burner for me atm.

tl;dr - Wave of Light can replace SSS:FO if you have enough DPS and Spirit gen (remember it has the same problem SSS:FO has which is the need to REGEN spirit while TRing which means hitting those spir/sec items pretty hard!)

So... with the new patch notes being released/datamined. TR a goes up in a bunch of damage and SW does slightly. Since/If snapshotting is gone. Will BoH + FoT be the new go to? I feel like getting foresight to activate every 30 seconds is more trouble than it's worth without snapshotting...?

Appreciate the comments Druin, I had my gems over on my Barb for Ubers so now he should be fully stocked. Definitely agree with the comments you gave to a lesser geared Monk on Physical resist being good on reflect mobs, I think 300% all resist plus an extra 150 or so phy resist works perfectly.

Thoughts on the patch notes? Also maybe hybriding off into a typical Bell Build will be useful with similar jewelry and more resists if the upper MP's become tasty.

Yea King, something other than DR:Foresight is probably the way to go.

My initial instinct is to go with this formula:
If (using SW:Cyclone);
Switch DR:Foresight -> FoT:TC;
Switch Faith -> Blazing Wrath;
Else, If (using SW:Inner or SW:Firestorm
AND spir/sec gain ~= spir/sec loss);
Switch DR:Foresight -> WotHF:FoF;
Else, If (using SW:Inner or SW:Firestorm
AND spir/sec gain >> spir/sec loss);
Switch DR:Foresight -> WoL:Empowered Wave;
Switch Firestorm -> Inner Storm OR MoC:Sub -> MoH:Circ;

I have no idea if this will work out for xp/hr but, based on the little testing I have been able to do on the PTR, this seems like the best choice.

SSS:FO is still fantastic because it still kills elites faster than WoL:Empowered Wave, but WoL is still great compared to spirit gens.

Obviously I will update the guide to reflect 1.0.7 when it actually comes out and when we have more data that tells us what does/doesn't make sense! :D

IF all you do is switch Faith -> Blazing Wrath, you will see a ~7% increase in total damage done if you use InnerStorm-Sub, a ~5% increase in total damage done if you use Firestorm-Sub and a ~2% increase in total damage done if you use Cyclone-Sub or Firestorm-Circ and a 0% increase if you use Cyclone-Circ.

01/15/2013 11:25 AMPosted by Andrew
Hello Druin! Hope my post won’t be tl;dr. For you, at least.

Hello Andrew,
There is no such thing as a tl;dr post here my friend! Sorry for the delay in responding to you! (going to respond in pieces for clarity)

Used to play Monk when I first started Diablo 3. Back when I was still a "noob". Only months after I quit the Monk (back in 1.0.4, he remained a paragon level 22 “ruin”) and began experimenting with other classes did I start to read about speedfarming runs, best classes threads and so on. I stopped for a month or two on the Witch Doctor. Using a great build and pretty cheap gear + perfect gems in all slots (little less than 100m overall - cheap by the standards of the 1.0.5 patch and the radiant gem crysis), I built a 150k dps unbuffed bear-spammer. I thought WD was the best. I know, I know, barb was/is OP, but I could only achieve the same speed with 500m gear, gold which I never had / will have considering recent drop/crap rate.

Took the WD to paragon level 56, generated 200 euros with him (I was lucky on few item drops) then got severely bored of him / farming act 3. I would have literally puked if I saw more bears. Sold all his gear, got 75m overall due to price decline, then quit Diablo 3 for one month and a half. Came back recently, didn’t know what to play or IF to bother with the game anymore considering the lack of patches and new non-facepalm content. All I had were 75milion gold.

This long build-up intro was just to underline how much I’d like to thank you for the guide I found by mistake. On a random thread in Europe about best speedfarmer classes, a dude said in reply to another, I quote: “f*ck your unoriginal barb, tempest rush monk ftw”. Started to google it up and found this thread.

Your post was awesome, enjoyed reading all of it and I really appreciate the time you and your friends / inspirations put into creating this close-to-perfect TR guide-for-dummies AND experience. Moving with 50% ms and killing everything in my path just by holding down the right-click isn’t dumbing me down, on the contrary, never had so much fun. Hope this feeling will last and maybe, MAYBE I will someday hit paragon level 100 with this one.

- Enough praises for you, now onto business, for I have a few “nuance” questions. 4 to be precise.

I am so glad to hear this kind of thing. I had no idea you could even find my guide via google! And from the EU no less! SO cool.

This is exactly what I was hoping for by creating this guide. I just want a place where people can learn about TR and give it a go if they are feeling bored / want lots of xp!

Thanks for the support! It helps keeping this thing up-to-date worth it for me! :D

1.) Firstly, please check my build first (gear/skill-set/stats) and tell me something. 440AR, 104k dps unbuffed, 4k armor, 30k hp, 44% CHC, 318% CHD, almost 2k hp per sec life regen. Is it decent for a 70m buy? (cheked and countercheked items for hours on AH finding the best stat combo/price). Even got a 6 pickup radius upg, which feels enough considering 1.0.7 radius buff incoming. All I have left are 5m and hopefully tons of hours of future farming. So no upgrades anytime soon. But IF there would be an eventual upgrade, what would I need to change (besides switching to LS Skorn) without breaking either my AR or Spirit Regen or a 20-30m barrier per upgrade?

Wow man, you are like a walking example of what every Build C person should aspire to!
This is basically a PERFECTLY done build for spec Variant C and you can transition EASILY into either Spec A or end-game with just a few simple item-swaps.

The very first thing you are going to want is a ring.

That is not to say your rings are bad, they are pretty great actually. It's just that the TR spec is somewhat fueled by the SoJ + Hellfire combo.

There is absolutely no way you can possible increase your xp/hr better than by getting a Hellfire with Crit. You will lose a small amount of DPS because your rare ring is pretty good and it will take TIME which suuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks. However, farming keys and rings is a GREAT way to break up the monotony of Act3 xp runs! :D

If, instead, you HATE key runs and you want to simply get gear that can be farmed and bought strictly from Act3 MP0 runs, you are going to want to look into a TR crit SoJ.

This will run you ~40m for a reasonable one. They price will probably go down after 1.0.7 because other builds become viable and TR crit sucks for PVP so you might want to wait until then.

You are going to want a 6-7% TR crit 2+spir/sec ring which means a loooooot of AH farming. Just search for 20elite damge 2 spir/sec armor and sort by time, it will be a list of only SoJ's with 2+spir/sec and you need to search after every run until someone puts up a TR one at 1d12h.

Ideally, you will want to get both of these rings and then move to spec Variant A because Faith is going to be a lack-luster skill in 1.0.7 and you will need more spir/sec in order to switch Faith -> SSS:FO.

Lastly, once you have a Crit Hellfire, a TR SoJ and ONLY if you are in love with the TR lifestyle, you should think about getting a CHC 2+ spir/sec Xeph ammy. It is the last piece of the puzzle that lets you switch to end-game spec and opens up the possibility for all kinds of variant specs that I would be more than happy to talk with you about if you truly love TR!

2.) I understand perfectly the SW:Cyclone snapshot mechanics. Except one thing. Without MoC:Submission (I am using Circular Breathing, will explain why in point 4) , when I get foresight, faith in the light and blazing wrath buffs on, I activate SW at exactly 186k dps, which feels really good. Now, my real confusion. (I cannot get an answer myself since at mp0 everything dies kinda quickly anyway) :
So I get 3 stacks of Cyclone at 186k dps. I move arround, melting enemies, but there’s always a point where the stacks “die” without finding a new enemy/ barrel to hit. In those blank moments I saw that I can spam-recast SW:cyclone by simply pressing the button, until I find new monsters. I keep all 3 stacks when I simply recast, but do I keep the 186k dps snapshot effect, or when I recast it is using my current 104k dps, even though the stacks aren’t reset?

Simple answer: yes you keep the snapshot.

Refreshing SW is a big part of the TR build in 1.0.6 because, as you said, you will eventually run into dry-spots where you will lose you massively buffed SW unless you refresh it manually.

In 1.0.7, this will change but the TR playstyle won't because letting SW die means having to get 3 stacks again which means losing xp/hr.

3.) Is Tempest Rush a “breakable” skill during its activation? As in, can monster attacks which reach you make it stop even for a milisecond, making it require a 2nd cast? I ask this because sometimes (especially when it is laggy as hell) even though I don’t move the right mouse button finger not one atom, TR sometimes recasts itself, costing me a hurting additional 15 Spirit. Why hurting? This brings me to my 4th and final point.

TR has some REALLY weird interactions with the server that cause it to re-cast even for those of us with perfect internet connections and zero-graphics stutter.

If Blizz's server detects even for a split second that you are no longer casting TR (due to gfx stutter, a mouse flicker, a packet hiccup, a stiff breeze ... anything) it will charge you additional spirit.

Everyone experiences this to differing degrees and it is annoying but un-avoidable.

Switching to better hardware can help (Solid State HD is the BEST thing you can do for Diablo3 performance at this time).

If it's your internet connection you are somewhat helpless to do anything about it and you just have to live with the increased spirit cost. This means get some more spir/sec and live with it or simply learn to punch big mobs for more spirit sometimes.

4.) I feel bad for not being able to use MoC: submission. No matter how much I tried rotating the skills (inner storm, templar, passives, circular breathing, northern winds) I cannot get more than 9.08 spirit per second with Submission + templar. This … sucks. This 9.08 isn’t enough to keep my spirit globe up, especially with TR INDEED consuming more spirit on zig-zagging AND the problem that occurs in point 3. Any tips? I really feel like I am missing out on something by not having MoC:Submission.

The only good thing is that with Circular breathing + templar I get a whooping 13.59 spirit regen per sec. And since I don’t like/need either SSS OR the templar, I ditched him and got the scoundrel for the extra 3% crit chance, and still am at 12.30 spirit per sec.

Now, should I think about getting the templar, staying at 13.59 spirit per sec, and getting IAS on gloves/ring without worries? Is the IAS dps boost so relevant? And if so, I’d still need to stay under 1.25 IAS, right?
Or ditch SoJ , get templar (I’d still be at 10.7 spirit per sec), and get a trifecta dex ring? A trifecta with 4.5% crit chance, 6 % IAS, 30% crit dmg, 60 dex gives me an 20k flat dps increase and 4.5% increased chance to trigger cyclones. What do you think?

I feel like, to some extent, that I covered this answer in point 1.

However, I will go into a little bit more detail:

Seaboots and I have both, separately, concluded that no matter how much non-spirit-gen items increase your dps, you simply can't increase it enough to beat the use of MoC:Sub when it comes to xp/hr.

If you love TR and you are pretty sure it's want you want to be doing on your monk for the foreseeable future, there is no better thing to do than drop IAS, get that SoJ and eventually that Xeph ammy and switch to the end-game build I have outlined.

If you want to use FoT:TC + SW:Cyclone instead of SSS:FO, that just means getting to MoC:Sub level of Spir/sec is that much easier! :D

However, I created Spec Variant C (the build your profile as of 1/17/2013 shows you to be using) for people who liked my guide, like TR as a xp/hr tool but want to stack trifecta gear for other uses.

You will get lower xp/hr than the end-game TR spec, but you will have items that can be used in high MP (though in 1.0.7 I was able to run my TR gear and a speed-Bells build on MP5 without issue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) and that makes a lot of people happy.

This is going to be up to you. I have laid out both paths and I think that neither is right or wrong they are just different ways to have fun. You will need to decided which you want! :D

Sorry, I can talk endlessly, too bad we are in different regions. Hope you can clear these things for me, not feeling like playing “hardcore” until I know all the ins and outs of this build. Good job again and HOORAY for the 1.0.7 changes to the monk (TR damage goes to 155% from 85% and 3 stack of SW now give 60% dmg not 45%!) . Do you think these changes can counterract the snapshot nerf-fix they have in mind?

Have a nice day!

It is always possible to meet up in game (or over skype if your speaking english is as good as your written english!) if you want to talk more about this whole thing. I am always happy to help when I can!

I am sure you have already read above where I detail the effects of 1.0.7 (projected and mathed), but yes, 1.0.7 is a net buff to TR monks despite the nerf to snapshot!

Thanks for taking the time to not only read my guide but write up such a detailed post about all your questions and such!
Hello Druin,

Motivated by your great guide I decided to invest some gold to acquire gears to test out this build. Spent around 10M on a Helm, a Belt, a pair of Gloves, and an SoJ, and dusted off the Skorn sitting in my stash.

I managed to reach 12.25 spirit generation with MoH:CB on. However, when running with TR, I noticed my spirit pool is draining instead of keeping at full tank. Thus I cannot keep perma-TR (which I assume it would be the case given my spirit generation rate). Am I missing something obvious here?

Hello Balrog,

I have no idea if you have changed gear since you posted this, but I will go ahead and run the spir/sec gain vs loss calcs here so we are both on the same page, feel free to correct me if you were/are wearing different gear than what your profile says:
Gain: 1.45 (hat) .33 (set) 2.17 (ring) 2 (CoR) 3 (InnerStorm)* 1.47 (GP + templar) = 13.16 spir/sec
Loss: 1.0 (APS) * 1+ 0.09 (Pants) = 1.09 * 10 = 10.9 spir/sec
Total Spirit change: 13.16 - 10.9 = 2.26 spir/sec GAIN

2.26 spirit gained per sec while TRing is enough to NEVER run out. If my math is correct and you are still running out of spirit the only possible reason is that TR is re-casting for some reason.

There are many reasons that TR can be re-casting. Latency issues or gfx stuttering are the non-player-controlled ones that come to mind. However, if you are frequently mousing over non-target-able things or over your monk's character model that can cause TR stuttering as well!

Sorry I don't have a better answer for you! :(

I think 1.0.7. a nerf to TR farming BECAUSE they remove the snapshot mechanic from skills. Should of have it wear off, when you swap gear, not this.

Buffing the SW up meant you could kill trash at a distance with it. The TR damage buff is nice, but the range sucks compared to SW. And on SW you now loose 18% from DR:FS+30% from BF:FitL =48% damage in total 8even more the way Bf damage is calculated but just to point out what i mean it's ok to say this. As i am running it, the damage buff of the increased stack damage compensates the BoH:BW buff of 15%. Cyclone damage up isn't significant imo, since the proc rate of TR isn't that great.

I assume with the new SW without snapshot you will have to circle around more now, in order to melt down the trash. Pity they leav gear swap untouched and nerfed what seems legit namely the snapshot of skill buffs. Cookie cutter build monks still gonna happily swap to their LS skorn, snapshot and then run around wit 60k dps, in a 50 mil gear set @3 aps and destroy mp10, while TR suffers a nerf.

way to go, blizz.

01/16/2013 10:31 AMPosted by Jhenn
does this build still work???

01/16/2013 10:43 AMPosted by Tarzan
snapshot gets nerfed, but SW damage is increased a bit... not sure if this will be a net gain or loss... anyone test yet?

TR is still at 100% effectiveness in 1.0.7.

I am going to do some math and show exactly how much your DPS will change by switching Faith -> Blazing Wrath, but it's a net buff for every single spec variant!

Please check the Current Events section for more info on this! :D

01/16/2013 10:53 AMPosted by Jhenn
Wheres Druin?1?1?

1.0.7 PTR killing ppl with LTK:Hand of Ytar obviously! :D

Hey there.
I have decided to join the TR wagon. Ill propably end on the mid tier variation B (So i wont need crit chance) but im intrigued at the prospect of firestorm. Im getting confused by Druins comment:

Druin:
Note: Submission only does 3.49 damage for every 1 damage from Overawe if you use Sweeping Winds: Firestorm so PLEASE, if you are going to use Overawe, couple it with Firestorm!!!

What does this mean? First part of the sentence states that firestorm+submission deals greater damage compared to overawe. Last part of the sentence says, that Overawe must be coupled with firestorm.

Should I buy gear before 1.07 skyrockets TR gear, or wait till Druin has mathcrafted the change the snapshotting "bugfix" will result in?

Hey there Malorn,

I apologize for the confusing wording I used there!

That was a discussion about Submission and how it does a lot of damage due to Area translating to damage increase when you are moving with TR.

The statement you quoted is merely trying to convey how much better submission is than Overawe for TR monks.

I only mention it because some people LOVE Overawe for it's ability to burst down elites and such. Those people should use Firestorm over every other SW rune because it increases the effect of Overawe by ~96% and gets overawe as close as it can get to submission level damage (which is pretty darn far off!) :D

As for the second part of your question, I honestly believe that TR gear will decrease in price, or stay the same in 1.0.7 because, while TR gets a LITTLE better, it isn't noticeably different and there will be competition from speed-bells builds and TR crit SoJ's are useless in pvp.

I predict little to no change in TR gear cost aside from it's usual steady increase as the spec continues to saturate the population of monk players.

01/16/2013 02:05 PMPosted by Morph
hi all. first of all i dont know the OP is still on this thread but i just want to thank him alot because this guide is just awesome and accurate.

Hello Morph,

I assure you, I am still here! :D

As always, I sincerely appreciate the support, it makes this all worth it for me!

I read your story and I love it. That is a very similar progression to the one I made in order to get to this guide in the first place! :D

I would like to highlight some things:

on that journey, its unbelievle but i changed most of my DH items with the proper items for EVEN CHEAPER and now iam way more efficient. i was like almost 200k when started to TRing, and now iam 110k lol.

This is a great example of the effect of damage spread.

More often than most people think you can GAIN xp/hr or loot/hr by LOSING paperdoll DPS if it allows you to more efficiently spread your damage!

4th i changed my +bonus to SW dmg SoJ with, CC bonus to TR SoJ. and YES the TR bonus > SW bonus on that ring.

This I will just quote for future reference when people try to argue about TR crit SoJ's and how they can't possibly be better because "so few cyclones proc." :D

anyway my English sucks. and my post is kinda long. but i really wanted to THANK Druin and maybe my experience helps you.

i hope you wont do my mistakes and keep your money to buy the exact pieces which Druin explained according to the Spec/variant you decided.

gl all :)

Your English is better than many native speakers I know. So kudos there.

You are most welcome and please let me know if there is anything else I can help answer!

I would like to point out that, while I believe the items I suggest are very effective, if you simply prefer something else, do NOT think that my suggestions should over-ride your preferences. This is a game and the whole point is to have fun.

I have never bought a Nat's Boots + Ring set, not because I have never had the money but because I simply LOVE the way Zuni's boots look and so I use them for every single build I make independent of how efficient they are. :D

Fun > Efficiency.

01/16/2013 08:50 PMPosted by Jhenn
Is it me or are the prices to get the gear alot higher that what is listed in this guide?

This is very possible.

There are three main reasons that price of TR gear fluctuates:
1. Saturation
There is a gradual increase in TR gear pricing because this spec is newer than the cookie-cutter spec and the overall non-forum-reading, non-youtube-viewing Monk population takes a long long long time to saturate.
This means that every day there are new monks coming into the TR gear market looking to make the switch the a spec they just discovered through a friend, on a forum, in general chat ... ect. This causes the price of TR gear to constantly rise because the supply of the specific items needed has NOT increased significantly as a result of the spec's existence.

2. Weekends.
The D3 market is HEAVILY influenced by date and, currently, there is an obvious and historically consistent trend of prices for things being MUCH higher on the weekend.
This is because more people play on the weekend and so people are MUCH more likely to buy gear. However, the supply doesn't increase as quickly because there is a delay between people playing and them posting gear on the AH.
For the majority of players, posting gear they found to the AH is the last thing on their list of what to do with their play-session.

3. 1.0.7.
For whatever reason, people like to inflate the price of almost everything before patches as people attempt to do "smart" investing and make big money on patch-based-changes.
There are almost certainly people who believe that the price of TR gear will increase significantly after 1.0.7 (I am not one of them) and are willing to spend a large sum of gold to buy up specific things (TR crit SoJ's for instance) in the hopes they can turn a profit selling them to the public when 1.0.7 goes live.

All three of these factors probably influence you view of prices.

I apologize if my guide feels in-accurate :(

Hello everyone,

I've been tempest rushing for a long time but this guide has given me a lot of insight. My goal would be to drop Circ and pick up submission. However, I have a solid nats ring. If i drop the nats ring(9%ias) will 2 regen soj allow me to drop circ? Is submission good enough to justify spending 100's millions on a solid soj and zuni boots?

Hello Phoenix,

That is a very nice Spec Variant A build you have there! Bravo!

Let's start by detailing your spirit gain/loss calcs to make sure we are on the same page and so we can effectively determine exactly what you will need to take up Submission!

Gain: 1.88 (hat) 1.13 (ammy) .33 (set)2 (CoR) 3 (Circ) * 1.47 (GP + templar) = 12.26 spir/sec
Loss: 1.0 (APS) * 1 + 0.08 (pants) + 0.09 (ring) = 1.17 * 10 = 11.7 spir/sec
Total spir/sec change: 12.26-11.7 = +0.56

That isn't a whole lot of spir/sec gain, but it's better than a loss for sure!

However, let's look at what your profile would read if you switch Nat's x2 to Zuni's + TR crit SoJ with 2.2 spri/sec and then dropped Circ for Sub.

Gain: 1.88 (hat) 1.13 (ammy) 2.2 (ring) .33 (set)2 (CoR) 3 (Circ) * 1.47 (GP + templar) = 11.08 spir/sec
Loss: 1.0 (APS) * 1 + 0.08 (pants) = 1.08 * 10 = 10.8 spir/sec
Total spir/sec change: 11.08 - 10.8 = +0.28

0.28 spir/sec gain is not enough to justify the use of SSS:FO.

Therefore you would want to switch DR:Foresight to FoT:TC and SSS:FO to BoH:Blazing Wrath.

You would see a net loss of 6% Crit (a LOT), 80dex, 9% IAS and 20-40 avg damage and a net gain of ~14% elemental damage and ~25% bonus to elites.

This would certainly be a net loss of DPS but a net gain of elite DPS and you would have submission.

I would guess that your xp/hr would go up somewhat significantly.

Downsides: You need to get a 100m+ SoJ and 50m+ zuni boots to even come close to where you are right now in terms of DPS and, unless you love the TR playstyle, it has very little value when you hit plvl100 so you will have to resell.

From here, it's up to you!

Note: If you are feeling spirit starved, switch to FoT:TC + BoH:Blazing Wrath, you don't really have enough spir/sec to use SSS:FO super effectively.

What I seem to see now is that any spirit regen soj with 2+ spirit regen is instantly 20m, possibly due to the bell buff/pvp. Also any Xeph ammy with Crit chance you're looking at upwards of 100m++. Crit chance/Crit Dmg? They don't even exist with 2+ spirit regen. if I were to rebuild now I'd suggest trying to maximize spirit regen on the helm and either one or the other of the soj/ammy just to be able to average out to that 2.00 (*3= 6+ .33 which is the optimal).

1.07 definitely feels better for TR monks. I'll have to try out on the PTR with dropping the spirit regenerator and just going blinding flash and blazing wraith at once. Might be too much spirit demand tho... we'll see.

I would guess that that this 2+ spir/sec soj price change has more to do with PVP than Tempest Rush.

For TR you are better off with a 1.4 spir/sec SoJ that has TR crit or SW damage than you are with a 2 spir/sec non-TR/SW SoJ.

Druin.....

Curious if you tested out Shaeffer's with this build. High Proc ones (40%+) with the bonus to Lightning Skills (up to 25% IIRC) plus an OS should add lots of damage to the lightning. Basically, the hammer is "Storm Armor" on a weapon. Probably the best PvP skill the Wizard has. I used it on my barb in lower MP a few months ago with great results.

They come with either Life Steal or Open Socket.

I have not tested this.

I certainly want to, but the amount of DPS you lose by equipping a Schafer's puts a HUGE burden on the proc which only happens when you get hit (something that doesn't happen all that often for TR monks).

It's on my list! :D
Nice guide!

I was doing some thinking and realized that I always one shot mobs when I crit, doesn't that make CD much worse? Haven't really found a good calculation of TR damage, but isn't it based on "white" dmg and not paper doll dps?

I play on EU and got into the TR game quite early, so I snatched up a nice amulet for cheap. It seems like it is really good so I'm not sure if I should sell for other gear and/or cash or if I should keep it. What might it be worth? (figure you guys should know best)

Xephirian Amulet

164 dex
2.12 Spirit regen
8% CHC
39% GF
264 life per sec
37% MF
i'm trying to figure out what i'm doing wrong w/ my build. I'm at 42.5% crit chance and I can't seem to get the cyclones to spawn. Am I suppose to hit mobs a certain way? If you view my profile it might not show the actual build I use w/ cyclones, but its basically a duplicate of spec a 25mill build.

Hello Balrog,

I have no idea if you have changed gear since you posted this, but I will go ahead and run the spir/sec gain vs loss calcs here so we are both on the same page, feel free to correct me if you were/are wearing different gear than what your profile says:
Gain: 1.45 (hat) .33 (set) 2.17 (ring) 2 (CoR) 3 (InnerStorm)* 1.47 (GP + templar) = 13.16 spir/sec
Loss: 1.0 (APS) * 1+ 0.09 (Pants) = 1.09 * 10 = 10.9 spir/sec
Total Spirit change: 13.16 - 10.9 = 2.26 spir/sec GAIN

2.26 spirit gained per sec while TRing is enough to NEVER run out. If my math is correct and you are still running out of spirit the only possible reason is that TR is re-casting for some reason.

There are many reasons that TR can be re-casting. Latency issues or gfx stuttering are the non-player-controlled ones that come to mind. However, if you are frequently mousing over non-target-able things or over your monk's character model that can cause TR stuttering as well!

Sorry I don't have a better answer for you! :(

Hello Druin,

This is a very good answer for me! Thanks for your explanations of the possible stutter. I guess I have to settle for this effect and try FoT the big guys to fill up the tank when it almost runs out.

Given the possibility for me to run either variance Spec A or B, I tried both setups. From my limited runs I found out that Spec B gives about 10% more (my 32mil/hr for Spec A vs 36mil/hr for Spec B). This probably is due to my relatively low CRC (40.5%). Do you have any insight on how the different variance Specs perform related to each other given a same gear set that meet both requirements of the Specs?
Love your guide!

Ever since I followed this guide and changed out my spec/gear accordingly, I've been having so much more fun. Thank you!
@Druin

welcome back and thank you again for detailed answers you made :)

@Andrew

hi mate. i read your journey too and its similar to mine and i guess you are also a gamer like me who likes to theorycraft etc.

i am on EU too. actually willing to add you if it is OK with you too.

Really nice guide, helped me understand monk mechanics better.

Thanks a lot Druin. Also I was wondering if you could help me a little :D...
I just leveled a monk with the hope that TR will be really fun thing to do. Now, I got some equipment from my DH, and about 150M for the moment, but maybe another 200M from future sells already posted.
The thing I would like to ask you is what items should I keep from my DH in order to maximize my dps/sustain life for my monk. As I understand, I will buy a nice radiance with spirit regen and maybe CHC. Also a Soj, and xephiran and skorn if money will allow that (don't know the prices yet)... The skorn is really expensive with LS on it, so maybe with some other nice mod, but be able to kill reflect?
This is my monk:
http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Dassem-2850/hero/24485540
Please enlight me what should I buy with my 150M and what should I keep.Thanks.
I'm having problems finding regen xeph amulets, been mostly focusing on other char so I lent my friend some of my monk gear. Then I find the soj on my monk right now =/

I find that I'm still pretty squishy since my allres and vitality is pretty low. Should I look for some vit on a skorn (I found the one I'm using right now)/ anything to help with survivability?
Hi Druin...

A little off topic here but I noticed that you were looking for a piece of armour to complete that build you are working on.. I too have made that build and have only got it to 19...There is another piece currently posted I don't know how to get you the info but I thought I would pass the information on to you. I spent more then 2 hours going through them all and only found two.....
------------- At the end of the comment there are some interesting observations -------------

There is no such thing as a tl;dr post here my friend! Sorry for the delay in responding to you! (going to respond in pieces for clarity)

No problem at all, I prefer receiving a detailed response after a couple of days, rather than one hour later to just see "hey lolz wowowowowo nice thx man gj". Universally valable for everyone.

Thanks for the support! It helps keeping this thing up-to-date worth it for me! :D

I will always endorse people who put such an effort in what they are doing and do it with pleasure for the sake of others. Patience and generosity are rare virtues today, and I can say this even though I am only 19. I feel more like part of your generation than mine. What I also enjoy is that your thread is an oasis of positiveness, from everybody, keep up the good work!

Wow man, you are like a walking example of what every Build C person should aspire to!
This is basically a PERFECTLY done build for spec Variant C and you can transition EASILY into either Spec A or end-game with just a few simple item-swaps.

This made me feel warm inside :D No !@#$.

The very first thing you are going to want is a ring.
That is not to say your rings are bad, they are pretty great actually. It's just that the TR spec is somewhat fueled by the SoJ + Hellfire combo.
There is absolutely no way you can possible increase your xp/hr better than by getting a Hellfire with Crit. You will lose a small amount of DPS because your rare ring is pretty good and it will take TIME which suuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks. However, farming keys and rings is a GREAT way to break up the monotony of Act3 xp runs! :D
If, instead, you HATE key runs and you want to simply get gear that can be farmed and bought strictly from Act3 MP0 runs, you are going to want to look into a TR crit SoJ.
This will run you ~40m for a reasonable one. They price will probably go down after 1.0.7 because other builds become viable and TR crit sucks for PVP so you might want to wait until then.
You are going to want a 6-7% TR crit 2+spir/sec ring which means a loooooot of AH farming. Just search for 20elite damge 2 spir/sec armor and sort by time, it will be a list of only SoJ's with 2+spir/sec and you need to search after every run until someone puts up a TR one at 1d12h.
Ideally, you will want to get both of these rings and then move to spec Variant A because Faith is going to be a lack-luster skill in 1.0.7 and you will need more spir/sec in order to switch Faith -> SSS:FO.
Lastly, once you have a Crit Hellfire, a TR SoJ and ONLY if you are in love with the TR lifestyle, you should think about getting a CHC 2+ spir/sec Xeph ammy. It is the last piece of the puzzle that lets you switch to end-game spec and opens up the possibility for all kinds of variant specs that I would be more than happy to talk with you about if you truly love TR!

Even though I feel "naked" without a Hellfire ring, I simply cannot make myself farm keys / organs again. Took 12 rings to make a Decent ring for my WD and I was so exhausted that it traumatised me. This says a lot since 35% XP means, like, instead of playing 1000 hours, I 'd play just 650 to reach a certain point, but I will not farm that ring again. I'll just wait for 1.0.7 and get onto MP 1-2 for 25%-50% more xp.

Plus, I can't farm keys on mp6-7 nor do uber bosses on mp7-8 (like I could with my WD) simply cause I don't have an LS Skorn, and one that is at least 1360 dps as my current LoK Skorn and has a minimum of 5% LS is 100-150m on EU servers right now.

As for SoJ, one like you described is, again, 50-60m, BUT I found a decent one I think, it has 5% holy damage, 27% dmg versus elites, 1.90 spirit / sec and 4% TR crit chance. This one was 4m :D Felt like a boss when I used buyout on it.

TR has some REALLY weird interactions with the server that cause it to re-cast even for those of us with perfect internet connections and zero-graphics stutter.
Everyone experiences this to differing degrees and it is annoying but un-avoidable.
Switching to better hardware can help (Solid State HD is the BEST thing you can do for Diablo3 performance at this time).

Indeed, an SSD would be sweet, my internet is more than ok and I know my HDD is the problem. I fixed the problem anyway to some extent since I noticed it happens only the first time I open Diablo 3 after my PC is closed. I just load the act, go to all the map waypoints in my run, move arround a little so that things load up, then exit, re-enter the act and everything is nice and smooth. Random recasts are 90% gone.

Seaboots and I have both, separately, concluded that no matter how much non-spirit-gen items increase your dps, you simply can't increase it enough to beat the use of MoC:Sub when it comes to xp/hr.
If you want to use FoT:TC + SW:Cyclone instead of SSS:FO, that just means getting to MoC:Sub level of Spir/sec is that much easier! :D
However, I created Spec Variant C (the build your profile as of 1/17/2013 shows you to be using) for people who liked my guide, like TR as a xp/hr tool but want to stack trifecta gear for other uses.
You will get lower xp/hr than the end-game TR spec, but you will have items that can be used in high MP (though in 1.0.7 I was able to run my TR gear and a speed-Bells build on MP5 without issue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) and that makes a lot of people happy.
This is going to be up to you. I have laid out both paths and I think that neither is right or wrong they are just different ways to have fun. You will need to decided which you want! :D

Until I get a balance of at least 100m again, I am forced to stick to Spec variant C (or use the SoJ I got and go to A) since what I must "urgently" upgrade is my Skorn(@100m), get a Xeph ammy with at least 6% CHC and 2 spirit regen (@100m again) and a better SoJ (50-60m). Even then, my priority would be the Skorn, so I can run on higher mp's too (of course, for the sake of loot runs, not xp/hour, mp0-1 are consacrated for that)

It is always possible to meet up in game (or over skype if your speaking english is as good as your written english!) if you want to talk more about this whole thing. I am always happy to help when I can!
I am sure you have already read above where I detail the effects of 1.0.7 (projected and mathed), but yes, 1.0.7 is a net buff to TR monks despite the nerf to snapshot!
Thanks for taking the time to not only read my guide but write up such a detailed post about all your questions and such!

Meet up in-game as in talking to you via my lvl 1 char on America ? Cause if this is the case, I'd rather talk on Skype. Good luck, mate!

@Andrew

hi mate. i read your journey too and its similar to mine and i guess you are also a gamer like me who likes to theorycraft etc.

i am on EU too. actually willing to add you if it is OK with you too.

It is more than ok, adding you right now actually. We can even do a test-drive for dual monk TR-ing with different Mantras and passives to buff ourselves up, like the passive which gives more dmg after a heal (and I can use BoH: BW for it) and if we wanna do higher mp (especially in 1.0.7) one can have the Mantra with the armor rune. Elites will be no problem, we could have 2 blinds and one of us can use SSS and the other FoT.

AKA yes, I enjoy theorycrafting!

----------------------- The interesting observations ---------------------------------

First, the minor one. The 3 set bonus of Inna is a major letdown. 0,33 spirit /sec. TR-ing end spec could be achieved without Xeph amulet if someone pushed the idea to them to buff this bonus to 2-3 spirit / sec. Which would be logical too. It is a damned set after all.

Now, the MAJOR one. The templar's added spirit regen is miscalculated by the game. Either that, or spirit regen has diminishing returns too. I have 9.83 spirit regen without the templar using my current build. He adds 12% spirit regenerated. That should get me exactly to 11 spirit regen / sec. All i have is 10.7.

Now, the MAJOR one. The templar's added spirit regen is miscalculated by the game. Either that, or spirit regen has diminishing returns too. I have 9.83 spirit regen without the templar using my current build. He adds 12% spirit regenerated. That should get me exactly to 11 spirit regen / sec. All i have is 10.7.

yea i checked it and as i saw its because of the +% spirit regen he gives. other than Templar we have The Guardian's Path passive which gives +% spirit regen. so when u change that passive the bonus of 12% of Templar calculated correct. with that passive selected its something like the %12 of added %35. so its not linear. but i think its correct.

Druin can explain this better i think :)