[2]Uberjager's thread on Ubergearing WW Barbs

Barbarian
Prev 1 5 6 7 27 Next
@tehcommunism:

If only Joch were here! I do not play 2hs. >.>

Hello. Can you help me out with my gearing please?

I'm currently at 185k DPS unbuffed, would like to break 200k without losing resists/life. What do you think would be the cheapest way for me to do that?

I know my pants are bad right now. I'm working on getting a new pair, with 150+ STR and VIT and 2 open sockets.

Also, do you think I should get rid of the IK 5 piece? I like it for farming, personally, since I farm at MP1, but with PvP coming up and all...

If you're really that intent on sheet dps, rings and ammy >.>

I seem to think you're a little short on lifesteal. As usual, check Nubtro's thread.

I've always found loot efficiency best on Mp10 for the very simple reason that if you could clear it fast enough it'd always give you the most loot over time.

Hi UberJager,

Should I use my echoing fury on my main hand or my offhand? (and why?)

I have 60 M in the bank to make upgrades too

Thanks.

If you're going to replace your MH then keep EF on OH. If you're still going to use that sickle put EF on MH and find yourself a cold SoJ.

@uber/dakkon,

Hey Guys,

I took all your advice, and now have similar DPS but feel tankier, in fact I managed to clear Ubers at MP10 (with a overpowered DPS DH). The question now is, how do i improve now?

The obvious would be to get the IK chest with 150 vit, and swap out the gems in the pants. And maybe better jewelry.

Other than that, any ideas?

Better ice climbers. 170 combined stats is pretty low. Aim for 300 at least.

Uber,

Hello. I would love some crit. on my gear -- I hate that I have only been able to get to about 150k DPS MAX with my other ring, ammy (both with CC, small CD), and MH (with 968dps, 200% crit).

I would REALLY like to hear from a true PRO where my direction should go!!

Thanks,
Deth

(ps. I did some simulations on ammy combos but none really made HUGE DPS difference, from my Tals I tried 10cc, 90CD, 30 ave damage -- did 'not much' about 3k DPS -- SUPER CONFUSED)

MH weapon. (preferably mace) 500-1200 damage range. lifesteal/socket. All you need.

Hey,
great thread! Could you suggest the best upgrade I might make with a budget of about 80 mill?

Rings and ammy for more dps. (check guide)

12/03/2012 07:07 AMPosted by Cerb
Hey Uber, I've been reading this thread since the beginning and wanted to thanks for putting together all this information in one spot. It has helped me out a lot. My barb has been improving quite a bit, but I am starting to find that my EHP is a bit too low. I've geared myself such that with the enchantress and WoTB up, im hitting the 2.5 aps breakpoint. However, I've also found that I *LOVE* having my fury regenerate on its own, which is why I'm using the Unforgiven passive. Should I try to regear and shoot for the 5 piece IK set instead? What upgrades should I be looking for to help pump up my EHP? Thanks for your help, it is very much appreciated!

Ice climbers/innas are only really that substantial if you can afford the mid tier and above versions of it.

Otherwise. Blackthornes pants with 200 vit go for pretty cheap, same with IK boots with higher vit rolls.

Edit: also, did you ever play a game called "dead frontier" just wondering. Name seems familiar.
Any idea on an estimated time for the rest of the guide?
12/03/2012 07:54 AMPosted by Wayneold
Any idea on an estimated time for the rest of the guide?

Tomorrow. :/ was busy today doing healthchecks for my travel visa. :(
12/03/2012 08:06 AMPosted by Uberjager
Tomorrow. :/ was busy today doing healthchecks for my travel visa. :(

Take your time Uber. We would wait as long as you need to get the quality content :)
Another thing that bothers me...

How comes I got 800h played and I'm still a under-geared tool? While everyone seems to have way better gear than me.

It doesn't need a Masters Degree in Maths to figure out, that the chances to get rich by drops is not exactly very likely.

So, did most of you guys either buy gold or items directly with cash? Just wondering, since it's really getting frustrating to get nowhere. If most of you did (and I'd bet that is the case. A few singled out ones got lucky and others flipped the AH once they had the cash to do so), I know how far my principle about never-ever using cash for this game will take me. And I can quit in piece :D

Just curious. You don't have to answer if you're feeling uncomfortable about it.
Nice thread...! Gives me something to shoot for....looks like i need a socketed weapon with some LS...I've been wandering all around started with Barb got frustrated and moved to DH and Monk....

Now I'm back to working on my Barb with items I can buy at low prices and equipping with items found...using Monk to farm MP3/4

Just need to work more on the Barb and get some better equipment....BTW found some good interim gear that costs less....plus one of my normal runners gave me the sword set. I found the IK helm and belt...now just need to lvl up

Again thanks...any suggestions would be nice; however, I know u are busy.

Don't think my profile has updated yet...added lacuna bracers and blackthorn's cross and Vile ward shoulders

How comes I got 800h played and I'm still a under-geared tool? While everyone seems to have way better gear than me.

It doesn't need a Masters Degree in Maths to figure out, that the chances to get rich by drops is not exactly very likely.

So, did most of you guys either buy gold or items directly with cash? Just wondering, since it's really getting frustrating to get nowhere. If most of you did (and I'd bet that is the case. A few singled out ones got lucky and others flipped the AH once they had the cash to do so), I know how far my principle about never-ever using cash for this game will take me. And I can quit in piece :D

Just curious. You don't have to answer if you're feeling uncomfortable about it.

Focusing on one class helps. I didn't make much gold until 1.0.4 made me stick to mostly farming on my barb and reinvesting all the non-barb drops I found into him.

Also, you need to farm a lot, and quickly too. Your elites killed number is pretty low for 800 hours played. Ideally you should also be farming at high MF too, as long as it doesn't impact farming speed.
Ice climbers/innas are only really that substantial if you can afford the mid tier and above versions of it.

Otherwise. Blackthornes pants with 200 vit go for pretty cheap, same with IK boots with higher vit rolls.

Edit: also, did you ever play a game called "dead frontier" just wondering. Name seems familiar.

Nope, I was an avid DAOC'er though before warcraft.

I understand that my innas/ICs are on the lower end because of my budget, but losing any attack speed means missing out on the 2.5 aps breakpoint. Is that something I should be worried about at this point? If not, then perhaps I should try and shift my gear around for the 5 piece IK set?
Focusing on one class helps. I didn't make much gold until 1.0.4 made me stick to mostly farming on my barb and reinvesting all the non-barb drops I found into him.

Also, you need to farm a lot, and quickly too. Your elites killed number is pretty low for 800 hours played. Ideally you should also be farming at high MF too, as long as it doesn't impact farming speed.

Yeah I started out as WD. Noticed that "vanilla" Inferno wasn't funny with shooting peas around, so I switched to Wiz for better kiting. After they nerfed it I stuck to it a while until WD got buffed and I switched over again. My WD was about oneshotting stuff without caring too much for sustain, def or healing for that matter. Obviously the introduction of MP screwed the whole thing.

So I finally decided to make the barb thing work.

I do indeed have quite low Elite kills, compared to you, don't know why that is. Guess I wasn't farming mindlessly enough.

But however, since you're arguing like that, I take it you do believe that farming alone will get me there?

Ok, maybe I'll just keep on trying. But it gets tiresome when there is no progress to be seen, just the hope for that one in a million drop.

Sorry for ranting around off topic :x

And thanks for your help.

How Wayneold made his money:

In 1.04 I found a socketed Shenlong's fist within the first couple days of the patch before the bottom dropped out on legendaries, sold it for 500 million gold. From there I proceeded to upgrade various parts of my gear and was left with about 50 million gold. Once I saw the post on the forums of how +x% to elemental damage worked I took quick note that stone of jordan rings were going to be on the rise (also from watching Dino's videos I knew cold dmg gave a big advantage), so I bought the one I currently wear for 8 mill on the AH, then proceeded to buy as many cold dmg barbarian stone of jordans as I could (4 or 5 of them I don't remember). After word got out that they were good items I resold the SoJ's I had spend 42 mill on for somewhere in the ballpark of 800 mill total.
I spent a lot of that gold on upgrades and overpriced crap gear....I don't claim to be the greatest gearing guru out there, but when the announcement of 1.05 was released and monster power was revealed I quickly realized with unlimited DPS potential people were going to be looking for life steal instead of life on hit. I spent my remaining 100 million gold on life steal weapons, sat on them through 1.05 and a while longer because the increase was not as dramatic as I was hoping, but still substantial. Just recently sold 4 life steal + CD + socket weapons for a total of 625 million, read Uberjager's guide and have continued to make the right gearing choices instead of just throwing my gold away.
In the end I would say including my socketed Shenlongs fist find I have made somewhere in the ballpark of 600-800 mill on the AH, while flipping items on the AH due to speculation of their inflated worth from patch to patch has netted me somewhere in the range of 1.5-2 billion.

This is how I have made my gold, by betting on an items worth being inflated after a patch and winning.....maybe someday I will bet and lose, but until then I am content with the gold I have made from such gambles.

Not everyone RMAH....some of us just visit the forums too frequently and understand what items will inflate post-patch....I am guilty of relisting items on the AH, I will admit to that.
Wayneold....nice stats....I've been feeding off a 45mil IK item I sold a while back to slow build DH and Monk I was playing....so now my budget for my Barb is what I can farm and I know it will be a slow build....but I am at para 5 on Barb.

I'm also a slow learner...didnt start playing public games until a little over a month ago...now I feel like a dumb @zz...but live an learn
wait it's better to play public games?

I'm also a slow learner...didnt start playing public games until a little over a month ago...now I feel like a dumb @zz...but live an learn
12/03/2012 01:55 PMPosted by Wayneold
Not everyone RMAH....some of us just visit the forums too frequently and understand what items will inflate post-patch....I am guilty of relisting items on the AH, I will admit to that.

First off, thanks for sharing your "story", I really liked it.

But I clearly stated, that not everyone is doing RMAH. Of course there are some smart and dedicated players who adapt to whatever a game asks of them. Me, I just don't like the whole financial stuff. I'm not a fan of it in RL and hence I'm not exactly excited to do that in my spare time, where a game is supposed to entertain me :P

As mentioned before, I got a little unlucky with my char choices. I realized some patches earlier, that Barb would be the most beneficial class, but at that time it was brutal to make it work without heavy investment, which I simple could come up with.

Of course I also had some "rage quit" incidents, that led to my gear losing almost all it's value (my WD - the one-shot class cannon) and leaving me unprepared for the changes to come.

I'm not denying, that to be really good in a game, one has to adapt to the given possibilities. This game is all about finances, I just refused to accept it as the only way. With all the bots around (even loads of them on my FL sadly) it really starts to not feel comfortable with just grinding the !@#$ out of it. I can do it like a machine, but in the end I have to go to work and I have to go to sleep. I can't compete with a machine, because I ain't one.

I'll stick to grinding MP1 as fast as possible and hope for the occasional lucky drop.

But I can't say that I'm all that happy with how the game works. Of course I could just quit - but I'm also kind of stubborn. Maybe there will be better times for me, we'll see.

Please don't judge me for crying, but you have to understand, that it can be very frustrating to see all you guys with your insane gear farming MP10 at speeds I clear mp4 (if even that), while the gold numbers increase and increase - it just feels sometimes like I'm chasing a carrot on a stick I can't catch anyway. (basically a winners-out system - and I'm the loser :/)

The thought of that whatever I'm going to do, no matter how hard I try, in the end I just won't ever be there, drives me crazy. All I want is having fun like you guys. Is that too much to ask, damnit?! :P

Rant over, sorry again ^^
PicklesJr
View profile
wait it's better to play public games?

Not saying that at all....made the game different and helped lvl up seem easier....
@ Este

It's not ALWAYS about finances, take a look at the videos Uber included in his post on the first part of this thread where I use a gear set valued at less then 1 million gold total to be able to clear MP10 (painfully slow, but possible nonetheless). I have picked up more then 10 million gold in game while just running around, and even though I might not be the greatest at gearing, you can imagine that with 10 times the budget I should be capable of building a set that can kill pretty effectively, especially at lower MP levels. I can use builds and skill to find my way around gearing deficiencies, and that opens up opportunities to both find upgrades and sellable gear on the AH.

It can be frustrating to watch all the botters and cheaters/dupers get through the game without putting in the hard time looking for gear or upgrades, but I always hung my hat on being able to do more damage with less valuable gear. After being the "welfare barb" on these forums for 6 months I finally have made a gold breakthrough, but it took a lot of time, farming, and mistakes with my gold. That is why a guide like this one is so valuable....because you can review it and prevent making the same mistakes with your gold....not to mention it gives you a way to gear your character without breaking the bank and still be able to run through content at a decent rate of speed.
Yeah you are right. I made it sound a little too fancy maybe.

It's just that I personally would love to run the EF OH version. But it seems impossible, since decent EFs are ridiculously overpriced on EU servers (probably on US, too).

And sadly it's all about this one item.

Also it's all about having control. Once you're rich and/or owning high end gear, you can do whatever you want. Feel like WT build? Go for it. Upgrading one of your items to a nice new shiny super-item? Np and you even get a huge amount back because you current one is bad-!@# already.

When sitting on budget-ish gear, you are screwed. And since I'm watching a US streamer doing some AH stuff for viewers on EU right now, he just confirmed that EU prices are crazy - even for mid-range gear. That means we have to invest hugely just for mediocre items or sit on our low-budget crap and hope for the jackpot drop.

Also, this game is not about content. Obviously you don't want to "be able to" do high MP. I can do MP7 without dying, too. But it takes forever, that doesn't count squat. We want to go there to grab dem lewtz.

But yeah, this discussion will lead us nowhere. I'll just keep trying to one day be there. Even though I might turn plvl100 and still won't be even close - we'll see :P
Ive picked up 100 million gold, earned the 1% achievement. People who complain about gold better be having some pick up on their crap.
@este. I've actually made most my money off flipping and what I've made is within the 10-15b range. I've also saved alot of money being a complete utter miser. I don't buy gear for myself unless its cheap.

However, its mainly because I've seen literally thousands of items flow into the AH and seen what sells/ what does not sell that I've been able to gain insight as to how to gear cheaply on this thread.

On playing the game:

Enjoy the game as much as possible. Find the most fun way to play it and you'll succeed either way.

Forget rankings, comparing your gear to other people's gear. Its pointless. Especially rankings from DiabloProgress, its an unofficial site for Epeen waving, why get so hung up about it.

One thing I've never liked about how people have been spouting crap about how gear> player skill.

From what wayneold and I have showed, there IS some skill required in playing the WW barb and it seperates out the RMAHers and the players who've worked for their gear. Look at wayneold, find me another WW barb that can clear at his speed but with cheaper gear than his. It'll be hard to find.

The only people who do complain about competition, rankings and RMAHers are people who don't understand how to really play the class or are terrible at playing the class. They constantly are forced to compete with these RMAHers for gear to improve their efficiency because they know no other way to improve their efficiency.

I want to avoid that and impart the idea that regardless of what gear you use, how fast you clear, how efficient your clearspeeds are is predominantly skill based.
You are right. And don't worry, I couldn't care less about diabloprogress.

I don't want to be Mr. 400k unbuffed DPS (who bought an EF for 7k euro - but that's another story :P), I just want to have fun and enjoy my barb at a decent level.

I'm not there yet, obviously. And it's (in-game) rich people, who are probably bored of the game or just try to self-worship or something, who increase prices because they control the market. If you have the funds, you can make sure that some things don't get cheap. Simply by buying them all and re-sell them for the amount you see fit.

And I'm quite sure that's exactly what's happening. People who make a sport out of it, to keep the "poor" people on their knees. That's all I'm angry about.

Nevertheless, it's threads like yours, that help the common guy (like myself) out. Of course others will just use this to influence the market to make things we might look for more expensive and become even richer in the process.

Isn't capitalism awesome? I'm so thrilled that it reached our free time, too.
You are right. And don't worry, I couldn't care less about diabloprogress.

I don't want to be Mr. 400k unbuffed DPS (who bought an EF for 7k euro - but that's another story :P), I just want to have fun and enjoy my barb at a decent level.

I'm not there yet, obviously. And it's (in-game) rich people, who are probably bored of the game or just try to self-worship or something, who increase prices because they control the market. If you have the funds, you can make sure that some things don't get cheap. Simply by buying them all and re-sell them for the amount you see fit.

And I'm quite sure that's exactly what's happening. People who make a sport out of it, to keep the "poor" people on their knees. That's all I'm angry about.

Nevertheless, it's threads like yours, that help the common guy (like myself) out. Of course others will just use this to influence the market to make things we might look for more expensive and become even richer in the process.

Isn't capitalism awesome? I'm so thrilled that it reached our free time, too.

For now, these players are on top. Come next market shift, they'll be crying again as they have to regear and either spend another 30k usd or go cry in a corner.

AFAIK I'm just here for the ride. Play the best I can play. Find out things about certain mechanics that no one knows. Try new combinations. etc.

Thats fun to me.