Banning Botters Movement!!!

General Discussion
Prev 1 11 12 13 21 Next
First up why do bots exist?

1. Rmah - My CPU can do the tedious work of trying to find legs (0.0001% drop rate)
2. Paragon - My CPU can do the tedious lvling which is needed to attain Paragon 100
3. Game sucks - Botting is way more fun when 99.9% of items are vendor trash

Get rid of RMAH and Paragon lvling, have higher leg drop rates and itemization, throw in uber tristam instead of the current fail ubers and who knows, we might see a 80% decrease in bots, ie give players a reason to play/enjoy the game rather than a tedious lottery grind.

Because that worked entirely well for D2, right? D2 had zero RMAH, zero Paragon. Yet... bots were more rampant.

And I'd counter your 3rd point by stating that if the "game sucked" and players weren't playing it, there would be no bots to begin with. 99% of the items in D1 and D2 were vendor trash as well.
But do your "anti-hack teams" also analyse the offending programs? It can't be too hard to detect them running or interfering with D3 - I've never seen D3 request admin rights which would be necessary to do that. Also your old D2 warden never did seem to get circumvented - why not reuse it somehow?
Also what about all the suggestions you got with D2's bot problems? A decent captcha seems the most robust way to prevent bots from playing. You could only use it on suspicious accounts (more than x hours a day etc.). Accounts with many fails and continuously trying? Ban. Accounts associated by IP? Suspicious, watch for incoming items/gold.
Either you are not really paying people to catch botters because you want these to push real money AH transactions for your profit or your hunters don't have enough information (or they have so many other tasks that they hardly concentrate on this one). Finding botters is more a thing of probability if it's a good bot. Banning people based on suspicisions may seem risky (dependent on information available, add databases for this stuff: players' gold/items traded/dropped & picked up ingame, number of games with accounts from other D3 regions than their IPs indicate, numbers of games using a rentable proxy/server, time played/#games per day/week/month, AH revenue) but it's better than letting them dominate your economy especially considering the (sometime) upcoming PVP. If this continues you better have (again) some "ladder mode" planned before then.
No player is bidding every time you search for an item. But once you bid, there's an auto-bid with the item. how is that blizz? human vs bot?

want some proof? filter your search on 150dex, vit, 2.9 life steal and open socket. Bid on legendary weapon with 900DPS (Crystal Fist and Devil Tongue)

GOOD LUCK!

...kind of like Transformers, but fortunately with less Shia LeBouf.)

awesome, just awesome.
There are like 20 monks that play public act 3 games. I reported most of them in-game and through email. This was a month ago. They are still botting in public games.
No player is bidding every time you search for an item. But once you bid, there's an uto-bid with the item.

Someone already put a higher max bid before you. Why this is so hard for people to understand.

LOL every time you search, current bid is refreshed. are you noob? go try for yourself..

you talking about max bid? check this out and search the items I mentioned and try to bid with 3m greater than the current bid.

http://i.imgur.com/hFB9E.jpg

GOOD LUCK!
11/21/2012 02:50 PMPosted by Lylirra
Lylirra is one of the only really respected blues, but her response to botting (which I am sure is primarily scripted from management) is extremely weak. Botters and spammers have run rampant since week 1 and from what not only I can tell, but the majority of community as well, is that Blizzard has done very little to actually control, or eliminate them

Not scripted. Not from management. What I wrote is based on my own experiences working at this company for over 6 years. I know almost each and every member of our anti-hack team personally, and I can speak first-hand as to how seriously they treat their role. They work long hours, they invest themselves completely, and they rarely get any praise for what they do because their job is never done. Yesterday, I spoke with one of the guys on the team for over an hour about how difficult and frustrating it is to keep up with all the different ways that players want to exploit the game. You find a certain kind of automation program and get rid of it, another pops up in its place, and now it's even harder to detect. Or you know that some players are using a particular type of bot based on intuition and experience on the job, but you can't prove it beyond a shadow of a doubt. Permanently banning a Diablo III license isn't something we take lightly, and there's a lot more that goes into actioning someone for botting than what meets the eye. (Yes, kind of like Transformers, but fortunately with less Shia LeBouf.)

But, to counter your point more specifically, we have done many things to deter botting and remove those who are botting from the game environment. From the development side -- just to name a few things -- we've implemented game limits and AH limits. We've painstakingly removed exploitable monsters, chests, events, and locations, or made adjustments to them so that they would not benefit botters. And we continue to add layers to our reporting systems (I'll pass on your feedback about adding more, though). On top of that, we have meetings each week with the development team to discuss what more we can do to help prevent this kind behavior (like I said previously, though, most solutions would negatively impact legitimate players...for example, CAPTCHA). From the anti-hack side, we monitor for bad behavior around the clock, and we routinely issue ban waves for verified cases of botting. We've also brought legal action against several companies who develop these types of programs.

But we agree with you: it's not enough. Of course, we're not sure that what we can do will ever be enough (we don't know if we can eliminate exploitative behavior completely), but we're willing to try. It's an ongoing battle, though, not something you win after a couple of quick matches.
You may be fighting the good fight but you're losing the PR war. This is the first sincere unfiltered acknowledgement of the problem and responses we've seen from Blizzard. You should have been communicating like this from the start. I think you'll find that people won't find ban notices tedious. Just the opposite - it will be comforting to know you're really doing something besides banning zoom out hacks. Silence cultivates an image of inactivity, and you've been officially silent on this far too long.

I wonder why Blizzard doesn't "follow the money" when going after botters. You need to take a page from the Feds' playbook in regards to banking and money laundering: go after the accounts making large, suspicious, regular transfers of gold. Do/can you track these sorts of things? You should.

Go after the people BUYING illicit gold. Make them afraid to do so. An account suddenly receiving millions/billions from an account (with weird stats and no equipment) that they've never played coop with before should raise some suspicion.

You may never get them all, but your silence has given the botting community massive confidence. You need to instil fear. As the old saying goes, nothing better for morale than a good public hanging.
11/20/2012 07:21 PMPosted by Apoth
if you blizz is banning bots why are they still rampant?

Because the average age of these forums is 13 years old and people blow !@#$ way out of proportion. Botting isnt that widespread, blizzard isnt conspiring to keep bots in the game for profit, blizzard doesnt have a secret account for selling the best items in the game that everyone goes on about, and class balance isnt as messed up as everyone thinks it is.

Hopefully now everyone can %^-* and play the damn game.
11/21/2012 05:03 PMPosted by Zuzax

Not scripted. Not from management. What I wrote is based on my own experiences working at this company for over 6 years. I know almost each and every member of our anti-hack team personally, and I can speak first-hand as to how seriously they treat their role. They work long hours, they invest themselves completely, and they rarely get any praise for what they do because their job is never done. Yesterday, I spoke with one of the guys on the team for over an hour about how difficult and frustrating it is to keep up with all the different ways that players want to exploit the game. You find a certain kind of automation program and get rid of it, another pops up in its place, and now it's even harder to detect. Or you know that some players are using a particular type of bot based on intuition and experience on the job, but you can't prove it beyond a shadow of a doubt. Permanently banning a Diablo III license isn't something we take lightly, and there's a lot more that goes into actioning someone for botting than what meets the eye. (Yes, kind of like Transformers, but fortunately with less Shia LeBouf.)

But, to counter your point more specifically, we have done many things to deter botting and remove those who are botting from the game environment. From the development side -- just to name a few things -- we've implemented game limits and AH limits. We've painstakingly removed exploitable monsters, chests, events, and locations, or made adjustments to them so that they would not benefit botters. And we continue to add layers to our reporting systems (I'll pass on your feedback about adding more, though). On top of that, we have meetings each week with the development team to discuss what more we can do to help prevent this kind behavior (like I said previously, though, most solutions would negatively impact legitimate players...for example, CAPTCHA). From the anti-hack side, we monitor for bad behavior around the clock, and we routinely issue ban waves for verified cases of botting. We've also brought legal action against several companies who develop these types of programs.

But we agree with you: it's not enough. Of course, we're not sure that what we can do will ever be enough (we don't know if we can eliminate exploitative behavior completely), but we're willing to try. It's an ongoing battle, though, not something you win after a couple of quick matches.
You may be fighting the good fight but you're losing the PR war. This is the first sincere unfiltered acknowledgement of the problem and responses we've seen from Blizzard. You should have been communicating like this from the start. I think you'll find that people won't find ban notices tedious. Just the opposite - it will be comforting to know you're really doing something besides banning zoom out hacks. Silence cultivates an image of inactivity, and you've been officially silent on this far too long.

I wonder why Blizzard doesn't "follow the money" when going after botters. You need to take a page from the Feds' playbook in regards to banking and money laundering: go after the accounts making large, suspicious, regular transfers of gold. Do/can you track these sorts of things? You should.

Go after the people BUYING illicit gold. Make them afraid to do so. An account suddenly receiving millions/billions from an account (with weird stats and no equipment) that they've never played coop with before should raise some suspicion.

You may never get them all, but your silence has given the botting community massive confidence. You need to instil fear. As the old saying goes, nothing better for morale than a good public hanging.

Thank you Zuzax,
You, also, have nailed it!
Finaly i hope it is the same on EU server to :-)
there's should be bot reporting tools in the game, then game automatically message the reported suspicious bot, if the player/bot does not follow nor reply to what ever the game told it to do, should automatically ban on that time, so other player saw this and we feel blizzard is doing something about this. please
I wouldnt mind entering a code to make a game at all.
11/21/2012 02:51 PMPosted by zenguppy
hey guys, you're right and it's a very big task that we're fully engaged in...*and* here's how we're going to make it evident to all of you, just how serious we take this infraction/infestation that's so prevalent, and works so incidiouly against our legitimate players...against those who have been trusting us to do well by them!..."

Thats exactly what was just said by Lylirra, just in more words. Blizzard has NO obligation to report every f*cking time they ban someone...

Under NO circumstances should blizzard ever say, "You're right" when it comes to this matter. 99% of these posts are complete BS that even when answered by a blue, explained, and assured that they are in fact banning every single day, and then explained WHY they dont post it every 2 seconds, are answered by 20 more posts claiming that what was said by the blues are insincere, scripted, and not true.

I personally dont understand how CMs can keep cool under all these ridiculous accusations... If i worked for blizzard as a CM i would have cursed out at least 20 of these people by now XD So i guess its a good thing that im not... :)