ShockNadoShards (SNS), a CM/WW build [guide]

Wizard
Prev 1 2 3 25 Next
First of all thx a lot ! Was wandering what SNS mean but was too lazy to google it. And when I decided to look for this build, I found your guide. Good timing lol.

I'd love to know if there is a way to know exactly how an upg boosts your aspd. for example : if I have normal pants (ie not inna's) and I want to reach 2.73, how do I know if it will before any purchase ?

And I know chantado set is boring for that matter but considering a C's Will with +0.23 (average aps) and no ias (socket or bad random) and C's force how many +8-9% ias items do I need ?

What I mean is that you give a lot of items (and thx that helps a lot) but I don't know what I should aim first to reach the 2.73 breakpoint. By giving a total of +x ias (if possible and considering chantodo's set I mentioned before) that would help to figure if we can reach 2.73 with blackthorn amy or ouroboros or skip tal armor to focus on a cheaper one with roughly same stats (zuni, blackthorne) (ias excluded^^).

thx again for your work I really wonder if I won't perma switch for wizz instead of WD^^
11/27/2012 02:33 AMPosted by zeli
And I know chantado set is boring for that matter but considering a C's Will with +0.23 (average aps) and no ias (socket or bad random) and C's force how many +8-9% ias items do I need ?

A 1.63as wand would require 68% attack speed from your gear to reach 2.73 breakpoint. So 7.5 peices of 9ias gear.
11/26/2012 03:34 PMPosted by Apollo
is there any evidence as to why it is 5k armor? or why 800 resist all?

Yup, that really is the magic combo. Anything less just isn't practical for mp8+

OP, very nicely done!!
11/26/2012 03:34 PMPosted by Apollo
is there any evidence as to why it is 5k armor? or why 800 resist all?

5k armor for sure, maybe end game should push for even 5.5k. 800 AR might be a little overkill - any dot effects to where you would need that much should be easily countered by your loh/freeze/dodge/hp. But you have to consider he said 'end game' that's like paragon 80-100 included plus as you upgrade gear you'll start to gain more of that INT gearing you almost ignored for mitigation / CC / aps priority. As that starts to get higher, you will gain more AR. At that same time you will have more AR gearing since it's easier to get than armor.

So 800 AR is more like recommended or natural really than a requirement. I do just fine doing ubers @ mp10 with 700 AR. I've recently lowered my AR average to around 660ish for lower MP farming purposes and to get armor / CC higher. Due to my dex and str (for armor) i've hardly noticed a difference in fact I've gained EHP up to 365k according to diablo progress so total mitigations are far more important than hard number requirements.
I put together a spreadsheet that will allow you to plan your ias gear for the 4 major break points, 2.31 2.5 2.73 and 3.0 based on your wand speed from 1.4 to 1.79 for those who are lazy and do not like excel or math, message me if you would like it, I am not savvy enough to post the link online. Great thread OP.
Great guide Piehole, explained it better than I ever could so not stepping on my toes bro. I give u high five!

I'm more of a just go out and do it and tell everyone it's great kinda guy rather than making videos guides, spreadsheets, number crunching kinda guy so I never assume anything to come out from it. When I go blabble about it here like use of Time Stretch or Diamond Shards or Evocation and say y'all should be doing this then see top players suddenly use it on diablo progress that's enough for me , don't need any credit or honors lol. I don't claim anything.

Y'all contribute far more than I do IMO. I just say stuff like 'time stretch good, adds so much more damage than it says..use it! Tele not group friendly anyway!' Glass cannon bad for our build, evocation better, use it!' without any video evidence or numbers to back it up then guys like Shandlar will come around and say 'here are the breakpoints for WW' which will explain why time stretch was a great advantage then that will actually get the ball running and make it popular. I just theorycraft heh.

Anyway solid guide, really couldn't have done it any better myself so great job man :) There are lots of players who still don't know about the build or it's damage and effectiveness so in no way you late with it.
Nice post.

The equipment recommendations could be broadened out a bit. I don't think Nat's is a requirement for crit hit over 50%. LOH/LS is necessary for the CM/WW build but you can do this through the weapon (don't have to have blackthorne's and a ring/ami). I use a Chantodo's Will with LOH when I run the CM build, and do very well (good balance between DPS and durability).

Another set of items to consider is Zunimassas ring/boots/chest. With all three you get a int bonus of 130 and AR of 55%. It's hard for me to pass that up. Tal Rasha's chest piece is really nice, but the IAS can be made up in many other slots. Tal Rasha's set isn't all that flash when it comes to the bonuses for more than one piece.

You can also balance out the need for AR and Armour with a high proc rate. That is the essence of the CM build. A crit hit of 60% and IAS of 2.73...damn, you're rocking...you can sacrifice armour and AR easily.

This is an expensive build....but, we talking about end game BIS stuff.
Thanks for all the support everyone. It means alot to hear from so many people.....just wanted to give something back to the community. I'll keep updating the guide over the next few days....and incorporating your comments as I go. Even if I don't call you out individually, thanks in advance for your input!
Replace Wormhole teliport with Magic weapon Blood Magic, then you can survive reflects in mp10.
Thanks for this, need to come back here for my Wiz when I get home from work.
Good and comprehensive guide! One very small correction: in the discussion of alternate builds, you say that Energy Armor is useful for avoiding getting one-shotted by Magda (pin point). I think you meant "Force Armor" instead of "Pin Point".

Also, I read a good explanation (sorry, can't remember which of our CM/WW experts wrote it) about why just listing a recommended/required Effective Hitpoint value is not a good measure of CM/WW effectiveness, and that the mitigation is important because it dovetails so nicely with Diamond Skin. You could consider mentioning that, because CM/WW folks on a budget are always looking for shortcuts to avoiding spending the money on high AR and armor, so the question comes up frequently.
11/27/2012 09:50 AMPosted by Edlana
Good and comprehensive guide! One very small correction: in the discussion of alternate builds, you say that Energy Armor is useful for avoiding getting one-shotted by Magda (pin point). I think you meant "Force Armor" instead of "Pin Point".

Thanks, fixed the error. Funny thing, I did this in game as well. And kept getting one shot by Magda. You think I would have learned....ha!
@Qy

I'd be interested to know what you did differently than HolyFork, as he did MP8 Gohm and got 6.86x. I was using those numbers for my guide, and rounded up to 7. I've never actually done a test myself....maybe I'll give it a try tonight.

Typically SNS is said to be between 7 and 8x.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7004691927
He was using MW, that's why.
v nice guide

u could add something about a LS chants. for me its irreplaceable against reflects as it allows me to use meteors which would not be possible with loh alone (at least not with my gear). Also a 1.65 one isnt too expensive (on eu at least) and the LS provides a ton of survivability imo and scales nicely with dps as well. You can skimp on a lot of LOH this way and it also allows you to get the ias gear u require to reach the wanted breakpoint. When you get the gold u can always get a socket one and change depending on mob.
11/27/2012 02:07 PMPosted by whoopadeedoo
I've done a lot of MP10 Ghom speed trials and diamond shards adds very little dps to single targets. If you're surrounded by mobs, it's much more worthwhile. Against ubers and bosses, not so much. It's definitely not a 14% dps reduction as you suggest.

I've also done alot of MP10 Ghom and disagree that DS adds little damage against single targets. I've gotten him down in 49secs, Kiza 43secs and S8 41secs.

DS is very very good for extra dps.